2XIPA | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Ratings: 4,577 |  Reviews: 1,074
Reviews by karengarys:
3.15/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This pours rich clear yellow-gold with fairly large bubbles, minimal head.

Smells a bit off to me, skunk like, at least cold out of the bottle. Born less than 4 months ago and not in the light, but some beers just come off odd to me, my smeller picks up odd things. As it warmed it smelled better, floral and citrus, perhaps grapefruit.

taste is mostly hoppy - pine, and lemon peel. It has some sweet syrupy backbone I do enjoy, maple like but not really, and it is real subtle.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, the syrupy heft is nice and the bubbles provide a decent mouthfeel.

Overall, this is great if you are looking for over the top pine and hop. I guess if you are reaching for a 2xIPA that is what you are looking for. I just thought the type of bitter was a bit too sharp, not quite the aggressiveness I would be looking for. The odd nose put me off, but I was able to drink through that.

4.36/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I have been doing a number of brewery-oriented horizontals as a part of the ongoing eradication of The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody & by some circumstance, I have a number of Southern Tier's beers to add to my list. I have been working in fits & starts on this horizontal, having been sidelined by a massive head cold & then by my acquisition of an SN Beer Camp Around the World 12-pack. I now make a triumphal return & continue with this beer!

From the bottle: "Brewed with 4 varieties of Hops and 3 Types of Malts".

I Pop!ped the cap & performed a gentle pour into the awaiting glass as is my wont, following my New Year's resolution to stop inverting my bottles. Once sufficiently decanted, a vigorous in-glass swirl raised just under two fingers of soapy, foamy, tawny head with modest retention. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, prompting a return visit from The Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon, all of whom agreed with my assessment. Nose was grapefruit-citrusy, bitingly bitter & I was ready to go. I know that AIPAs & DIPAs are taking a knock for their inherent bitterness, hence the wave of tropical fruit-flavored AIPAs & DIPAs, but man, I swing on the bitterness. I am a self-avowed, self-described hophead & nothing sends me like bitter, lupulin-driven bitterness! Mouthfeel was medium, a bit light for the style, but I am not complaining. The bitterness of this one was eye-watering, or maybe it was tears of joy. Man, you had better really dig grapefruit & I ain't just talking juice, baby! This was rind, pith, juice, seeds, the whole meghillah with nothing left to go into the compost pile. Man, I was sweating like a white man asking for directions at a Black Panther meeting, dig? Was it the hops? The heat & humidity? My jonesing hops monkey on my back? Some raucous combination thereof? Unknown, but man, I was starting to fly! Dig, baby? This wasn't some groovy trip like that 2X SMaSH vibe, this was tie off, jam in, unleash & get it on time. If you dig this scene, you are one of us. Non-hopheads need not apply. Phew. The unrelenting nature of the grapefruit bitterness had me rocking in my chair. My eyes were as glazed as this morning's donut. Whew. I think that I may have been on the nod. Where has the time gone? Where has all of that beer gone? The glass is now half-empty with no memory of its consumption. My sinuses are wide open, though, & it kind of hurts to breathe. Maybe I'll stop for a while. Breathing, I mean. 9 out of 10 doctors agree that not breathing is not good, but that is why I go to #10. Dr. Scripts, as I like to call him, is my kind of sawbones. He doesn't ask too many of the wrong Qs & just enough of the right ones to write me a script & get me right. Right? Finish left me finished. Man, that was dry. Dry as the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara, dig? Man, we gotta take this trip again, man. What are the ChANces of your putting it in a CAN next time?

4.02/5  rDev -0.2%

A - Slightly hazy yellow orange beer with short tight head that fades quickly to a film and extensive lacing.

S - Solid nose of pine, grapefruit citrus, floral notes, with a mild honeyed element, presumably from the malt.

T - Stronger honey couples with a hint of lemon and a certain medicinal element. Another IPA that reminds me of a honey lemon throat lozenge, not that that is a bad thing. This is a pretty delicious brew. Middle comes with some bitterness, and that runs through the close. At the end, the honey comes back, offering a touch of sweetness.

M - Mild carbonation means the bitterness and hop oils hang around. Not a sign of the serious alcohol, though, which is a significant accomplishment.

O - This is a solid double IPA, with bright flavors. An added benefit is this quite drinkable for a DIPA. I will pick this one up again, I suspect.

4.78/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy deep gold producing 2 fingers of off-white, frothy & variously bubbled, somewhat lasting head that leaves a nice pasty wash of frost like lace. Aroma is heavenly tropical, floral & citrus hoppy backed by caramel malt & with a thin vanilla like hint & faint butterscotch. Taste is juicy tropical fruit & citrus (tangerine & Clementine) hops backed by a wet caramel sweetness. Finishes tropical/caramel sweet with citrus & a hint of pine with a low level hop bite & bitterness that intensifies & lingers for a while in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium-heavy bodied with moderate carbonation, wet & juicy, mouth filling with a mid-sip prickle that last beyond the swallow. GREAT.

4.29/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a beautiful clear yellow to amber with a fluffy white head that laces very well. Smells of pine and citrus with a hint of sweet and simple crackery malt and even a touch of honey. Smells like my kind of DIPA. Taste follows with a bit more sweetness than expected l, making this an almost perfectly balanced double IPA. Lots of pine, and a lot of the sweet flavor seemingly coming from the citrus of the hops. As I've said, exceptionally well balanced, medium carbonation, and would never have guessed it weighs in at 8.2%. Overall, this is an outstanding DIPA, and would gladly have it as a constant in my fridge. Cheers!

3.49/5  rDev -13.4%

One of the few things I miss about living in western NY was a steady supply of ST beers in my fridge.Poured into a nonic a clear full golden with a clingy egg shell colored one finger white head.Aromas seemed to be more malt driven than hop like I expected,caramel and sweetish cooky dough mainly with a noticeable leafy hop presence but its really muted in my opinion.Flavors have a bit mre hop presence but nowhere near what I would have expected,leafy and herbal with a bit of overripe citrus fruit,a full caramel sweetish malt base thruought.Its ok but it lacks some hop character,not quite what I was expecting here.

3.83/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

12oz pour into a pint glass

A: Clear golden pour with lots of active carbonation. Leaves a fizzy white 1 finger head which lasts, for the most part, throughout the glass. Got some lacing mid glass

S: Pretty big grapefruit nose along with pine. Seems like this will have a decent malt presence as well

T: Just like the nose. Malt indeed adds a nice balance to this. Just the slightest hint of alcohol in the finish. Bitterness throughout

M: Light to medium bodied. Hops attack the palate incredibly fast. Good carbonation

D: Very good DIPA. Alcohol catches up to me after one though, so not sure how many I'd drink in one sitting. Super hoppy but well balanced.

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

3.97/5  rDev -1.5%

served in tulip.

look (3.5/5) - a deep gold color, which is a touch lighter than I'd expect for the style. Head was pretty good. It rose to about two fingers, fluffy, and white. Falls a touch fast, but leaves some nice lacing before reducing to a swirling film. Very cloudy, probably unfiltered.

smell (4/5) - obviously the hops dominate. Not hugely complex, you get citrus and pine with some dry hopping in there, but they work together very well. The malts are less sweet, I get some graininess and some breadcrust in there. Yeast has a bit of fruit in it and a little bit of a tart finish that comes out a bit like a BPA.

Flavour (4/5) - The hop flavor is a bit weaker than you'd usually get with an I/DIPA. Hops and malts very similar to those you get on the nose. The fruitiness from the yeast plays really well with the citrus-like hops. Finish is tart and crisp and only medium bitter.

Feel (4/5) - medium-light body, maybe a bit heavier for not being filtered - higher carbonation. Feels 'fluffy'.

Drink (4/5) - I don't think this is a great example of the style, to be honest. Yet the flavors, though not totally complex, play well together and make for an interesting brew that almost seems like an I/DIPA met a BPA.

I liked.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

a: This pours pale gold in color with excellent clarity along with an off-white head with a good retention.

s: The smell is dominated by moderately-high hops aromas of pine and citrus, lemon and grapefruit. There is some malt toasty aroma and slight sweetness and a hint of alcohol.

t: There is a medium hop flavor that mostly grapefruit, lemon along with pine and a moderately-high bitterness. There is a little support from a malt sweetness that keeps the hops in check giving it a moderately bitter balance. The slight malt flavors coming through are bread and toffee-like. The bitterness lingers past the moderately dry finish.

m: A smooth medium-bodies beer with a moderate level of carbonation. There is a slight alcohol warming, but not enough to remind me that it checks in at 8.2% ABV.

o: This is a great IPA with just enough restraint to let me throw back a few pint in a sitting. The hops aroma is good but a little more aromatic hops would have me moving this from a great beer to and outstanding beer.

4.39/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to griffeyb for sending me this one.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

It pours a hazy almost amber color with a medium head that dissipates quickly leaving a nice amount of splotchy lacing. The bread and malts hit your nose up front and then the hops come through nicely after. It is not quite as hoppy as I expected since it is a IIPA but still damn good. A medium amount of carbonation with this guy. Overall, I really enjoyed this brew. If I could get it near me I would definitely pick up more.

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

A - Clear golden color, with moderate carbonation, nice head that fades to a sticky covering leaving lacing on the side.

S - Floral and some citrus hops. A bit of sweetness from the hops and malt.

T - Complex hop flavor, some floral hops come though but mostly citrus with a bit of pine. There is a lot of hop flavor going on here, but not overwhelmingly so. Ends with a good deal of bitterness, but almost more like a AIPA rather than AIIPA.

M - Pretty light body considering it is an IIPA, but keep it clean and pretty refreshing for a larger beer.

D - Drinks more like an IPA with lots of hop flavor, this beer will not bowl you over and it is easy to have more than one.

2.5/5  rDev -38%