2XIPA | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mcallister on 04-28-2010

Ratings: 4,584 |  Reviews: 1,075
4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Southern Tier coming through with a HUGE new entry into the market. Seriously, this beer is the heat. The funk. The shiz with a Z. Best new East Coast DIPA in a long time.

12oz bottle into my snifter. I can already smell it. The golden translucent body has a touch of orange highlights. Head falls quickly to a ring, white froth sticks around. Nice touch of lace considering the style and ABV.

Smell is HUGE hoppiness. Citrus funk. Lots of pine, grapefruit, simcoe cat piss, and just amazing depth of hops.

So, I've heard desparate (or optimistic) East Coasters make some crazy comparisons lately, and, as someone well versed in the nectar of the West, I must say with a heavy heart that the comparisons are unfounded. But this is a great beer, I'm not saying anything else, but it's not in Russian River territory. Look, it's just not quite the finesse of Elder. But the flavors are in the ballpark. And Younger? Forgetabout it. Not even close kids, mostly due to the ABV being just 2/3 of younger's. That's like Screech from Saved by the Bell getting in the ring with Tyson.

What we do have is a nice caramel sweetness just north of water. Perfect carb. Nice hoppy bitterness that matches the pine and citrus of the nose. I know, I'm mixing mouthfeel and taste together, so what, I'm loving this beer. A hair short of legendary, but I'd put this head to head VS Double Trouble and Hopslam any day.

Overall, I'm impressed. This is a great beer from Southern Tier, hoppy copper and clear, one of the best so far this year, and go get one - ya hear?

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

A double IPA from a good brewery that's only $8.99 a six pack? No way I'm not giving this a try.

Pours a light orange/amber, smallish head to it. Aroma is of citrusy hops. Medium bodied, tons of flavor here. Nice hoppiness but it's not overbearing, balanced VERY well. Compared to most imperial/double IPA's this is a smooth drinker. Way too drinkable for its 8.2% ABV. Highly recommended, won't let you down.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured a hazy golden color. Small white head. Light bodied, unusual for a double IPA, not as much hop character as a double IPA. Citrus, light pine. You would never guess this to be almost 8.5 percent. This is a very drinkable beer. Not your typical DOUBLE IPA but still very good.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.39/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to griffeyb for sending me this one.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

It pours a hazy almost amber color with a medium head that dissipates quickly leaving a nice amount of splotchy lacing. The bread and malts hit your nose up front and then the hops come through nicely after. It is not quite as hoppy as I expected since it is a IIPA but still damn good. A medium amount of carbonation with this guy. Overall, I really enjoyed this brew. If I could get it near me I would definitely pick up more.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my standard Brooklyn Lager pint glass.

A: Poured a very bright golden yellow. Nice one finger white head.
S: Grapefruit, pine, orange, mango, pineapple, and a slight sweetness.
T: Grapefruit, citrus, pine, and a touch of sweetness. The hops are not too bitter and the alcohol is hidden well. Really well balanced.
M: Creamy, and smooth. Nice carbonation.
D: Very nice. Easy to drink and the 8.2% never shows itself. Half way through, I wanted another one.

4.39/5  rDev +8.9%

A- poured out a bottle into a weizen glass a llight golden yellow with a good creamy head and sticky lacing that hangs on.
S- smelled of very strong floral hops even from a couple of feet away.
T- taste was the same as the smell with the floral hops the dominant factor. Lingers nicely on the palate. Very tasty indeed and the abv isn't that noticeable for as high as it is.
M- light to medium mouthfeel with bit of an oily finish.
D- very easy to drink and that could possibly get me into trouble! :) one of the better dipa,s I have had.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Straw colored, slightly cloudy with a minimal head.

S - Citrusy hops dominate the aroma. Grapefruit, orange. A hint of apple. I don't detect much pine or other hops.

T - A nice clean bitterness that doesn't overwhelm. This definitely keeps it drinkable... almost too drinkable becuase with a beer with this ABV I don't like to drink them too fast.

M - Dry but fairly smooth.Medium carbonation level.

O - This is a nice DIPA. My only "problem" with it is that one is enough to get me pretty buzzed and I really would like to drink several. It's hard to stop after having just one.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It's difficult to know where to begin. First had on draft a couple months ago at Primanti Brother's in Wheeling. Almost immediately became my favorite IPA. Beautiful golden color that is slightly hazy. Incredible harmony of flavors with nothing overwhelming the other. Grapefruit, lemon, lemongrass and floral notes all in there. Labeled as a 2X IPA however it's not heavy duty by any means. Very drinkable. Never pass this one by.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Crystal clear and orange, this IPA had a small, off-white head of foam. It left sticky patches of lace all over the glass.

S - Simcoe!!! A pungent aroma with notes of grapefruit, tropical fruits and bubblegum. There is a mild burnt toast maltiness.

T - It tasted of grapefruit, bubblegum, burnt toast maltiness and had a sharp bitterness.

M - It was very crisp and sharp. A medium bodied ale with a snappy, dry finish

D - This is a great DIPA. It reminds me of of Bell's HopSlam - but it's not THAT great.

4.39/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a nice golden color and smells absolutely wonderful, mango pineapple, booze and a hint of resin. Taste is somewhat mellow in comparison to other virtual bottles of pine sol that make up this category but up front is resin citrus and light caramel with bitterness at the back. Mouthfeel was a bit lacking, not that well carbonated with a slightly oily feel. Drinkability is awesome, the alcohol is hidden so well. Might buy this again, not sure

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured bottle into pint glass.

A: Gold, slightly cloudy, min head, lacing

S: Citrus/hoppy aroma, hints of fruit and pine

T: Aroma would imply substantial bitterness, but hoppy bitterness is balanced with soft malt background

M: Moderate carbonation and body, smooth

D: Very enjoyable with balanced hops and malts. Not overtly bitter, but rather smooth and crisp all around.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottom line, I love me some Southern Tier 2XIPA!!!

It's a crisp breath of fresh air for my quality IPA needs.
Call me crazy, but when I swish this brew around in my mouth, then swoosh some air over the top of it, it is comparable to smoking some damn good weed. It has a very "green" taste for sure!

I usually have a very short attention span, but when I sip on this beauty, I am able to focus on the flavor, and look forward to the next gulp immediately afterward. I enjoy this beer the most when I'm chilling SOLO, because when I'm in a social situation and I drink this one, I can only focus on how good this brew tastes, rather than engage in conversation. Southern Tier 2XIPA makes my girlfriend jealous!!!!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This one is a hop showcase. A twelve oz bottle from a Southern Tier DIPA 12 pack. Solid gold beer with a dusting of haze. Eggshell head leaves a nice amount of lace. Gentle carbonation.

Nose pushes pine and mild citrus with light notes of mango followed by pineapple. Light caramel malt gives just enough bread and sweetness. Clean American yeast profile.

Taste lets the hops shine. Big pine up front with a grapefruit and skin body. Finish flows from the grapefruit flesh to hop oil that dry the mouth. Malt is there but not in a big way. Caramel and dough.

Feel is full and creamy. A smooth and pleasurable.

This is a solid and delightful beer that goes down like a lower abv brew. You could fool yourself into thiking this is a session ale until you fall on your face. Its hop forward construct and light malt body ecourage sip after dry and quenching sip. Nice beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a full foamy light tan head with clear amber body. Kind of honey colored.

Fresh flowery sweet hop scent. A sense of sweet caramel maltiness. Some citrusy orange and lemon. Light pine notes. It smells good, it makes me want a taste. Light tropical fruit notes at times.

An initial bitterness is combated by a sweet light caramel malt note, overpowered at the right moment by a nice bitter dipa finish. Very drinkable dipa at a very right price. Resiny pine after the sweetness with a nice lemon orange citrus.

Smooth carbonation and medium bodied. Carries this beer well

Overall would get 6 packs of this on a regular basis. Good stuff.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into Duclaw Mad Bishop Chalice.
I havent even tasted it yet and I am seriously impressed with it! Great color...opaque yellow/orange. No head, but great lacing on the glass. Smells crisp; slightly piney, floral, slight hops.
Very good flavour. Drinkable yet very hoppy, not overly hoppy, but its the predominant taste along with orangey citrus and wheat undertones. The orangey wheat flavour remains in the aftertaste making this very refreshing and very drinkable and a great session double IPA...well at 8.2% ABV, that would be a fun session.
Very very good DIPA. I would buy again and again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: beautiful clear golden color with a huge white fluffy head. The beer is absolutely beautiful and translucent. As i drink the beer, it has great lacing as well.

S: Fresh, juicy, sweet. Smells like a grapefruit piece of candy, or freshly ground pie needles. Fresh is absolutely the word here.

T: Like candied citrus rinds. This is without a doubt a perfectly balanced IPA. I can't rate it a 5.0 because I can't say it's the "best" IPA but I would be hard pressed to find a better one. This is as well balanced as Boulevards' Double Wide and that is a phenomenal double IPA.

M: Great carbonation level that perfectly compliments the spiciness of the hops. Provides that excellent pop that the hops need to create that bitterness on the back end.

D: As smooth and balanced as it gets. This IPA is very well done and the fact that it isn't an overwhlelming bitter hop bomb makes is increasingly tempting. I could put down the sixer if it didn't put me down first!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this served from a firkin poured into a standard pint glass. I saw the tapping of the firkin and this was the first pour. We knew of the tapping and got first in line :-)

A: nice clear golden yellow color, no head, not much carbonation due to this being served from a firkin...not hooked up to carbonation lines.

S: had a very mild citrus scent.

T: beautiful, does anyone call a beer beautiful. very well balanced for a double IPA; I expected over the top super hoppy, but his was not, the hop bitterness was more on the front of the mouth versus the back, smooth drink, not much on the way of carbonation.

M: refreshing, soft very soft carbonation.

Overall: I am glad I took the time out for a special tapping of a firkin. First time having this beer and I was impressed. I am not a big IPA drinker, but if more of them were as smooth as this one, I certainly could become a huge fan.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought a single bottle of this from Woodman's in Menomonee Falls, WI for about $1.50 in early fall 2010.

Pours a nice clear amber/copper color with little froth on top that lingers on top. The scent does scream IPA but it does have a dryness to it with a slight hops scent. The taste is bold and full of flavor. Very crisp and the bitterness is perfect. Very slight hints of wheat and citrus. I was slightly afraid that this would be too bitter for me but it wasn't. May not be the best beer ever made, but it's definetly an "A" quality beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Crisp & clean really well filtered... a glowing orange brew that leaves a light lacing on the glass... super hoppy a stinking fruity assault on the senses... tropical and bubble gummy, intensely aromatic with notes of pineapple, mango and lemon verbena there's also a savory element... onion juice! A Great Double... It must be fresh as there is a really big underlying malt character that gives the impression that it would overwhelm this beer if past a couple of months old... The taste is very similar to the nose and the finish is astringent and dry and lingers offering layer after layer of tropical sweetness, nutty and dense this is an extremely enjoyable quaff!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyable 2x IPA. Tastes like a draft pour but this is from bottle. Well done.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on draft at the Yardhouse in Glenview. Served in a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear golden straw color with light peach hues in the body. A one finger, bone colored head forms on the pour a slowly subsides to a thin sheet and a thicker collar leaving cascades of lace down the glass.

S: Bright, sweet fruits with a very subtle oatmeal malt body. There is a touch of vine and grass as well.

T: Vibrant citrus fruits, mainly oranges and grapefruit with sweet berry notes as well. This is balanced by a very minimal malt body that really lets the hops shine through. There is a little herbal note on the backend.

M: Very clean and light bodied with a semi-sweet and mild bitterness on the finish. Lively carbonation.

O: I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I was expecting an extremely hop forward DIPA leaning towards the bitter side, and what I got was a very balanced and light drinking beer. I will revist this beer again.

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company