2XIPA | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Added by mcallister on 04-28-2010

Ratings: 4,576 |  Reviews: 1,074

2.76/5  rDev -31.2%

2.78/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The appearance is nearly identical to their single IPA, being amber gold with a beige head that is shorter and has less lace.

Smell and taste are similar to the single as well, with citrus and toffee, but 2X is little more catty, garlicky and dank, with some lemon rind still present.

Slightly frothy.

2.79/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Underwhelming in appearance, though nicely laced the glass. This is strong, a little malty, and just not to my tastes for hops - almost a skunky/off flavor.

2.8/5  rDev -30.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a stange

A - Wow, very light. Golden, clear with a small off-white head that quickly fades. Moderate lacing

S - Orange, grapefruit and pine. Heavy on the orange I might add. Almost pungent really

T - Meh....matches the nose. What hits me is pungent orange right from the get-go finishing with a resiny pine.

M - Very thin, especially for the style. Lot of carbonation

O - This one confuses me. Just wonder what they were going for with this one. Just doesn't float my boat.

2.82/5  rDev -29.7%

12 oz bottle to oversized wine glass. $3.50. The 2XIPA made a lot of noise on the boards here which prompted me to immediately seek this brew out. First beer of the day. Review from a backlog of notes.

A: Pours with 1 1/2 fingers of long lasting white head. Verrrry light sun-struck amber orange in color. The body is clear with visual carbonation akin to angrily swarming bees. A nice amount of lacing is deposited on the glass.

S & T: The nose is UNCOMMONLY weak. The flavor as well. While there is no problem with the flavor profile per se, the lack of intensity here is astounding and ratings suffer as a result. How could my palate possibly mistake a "DIPA" at 8.2% ABV for an APA at 5? Thanks to Southern Tier, I now know. Light malts of caramel and biscuit with a nice squeeze of grapefruit, orange and pineapple juice. A light sweetness dials back the bitterness on the palate.

M: Medium to medium-full body and as creamy as it gets. Visually, the carbonation seems relentless. On the tongue, however, it couldn't be any softer, which in my mind, is a huge detriment. Back to the pros: the flavor duration is very long and it finishes well: crisply, cleany, semi dry and moderately bitter.

D: The style applied to this brew is throwing me for a loop. This would be a top notch pale ale (if it were one) but it loses a huge amount of points when judged as a DIPA. In fact, I followed this brew with an APA (something I would never normally do, BUT was more impressed with by the way) and realized that Southern Tier made a silly typo: They simply forgot to put a "1/" in front of the "2XIPA".

Despite everything negative I've said so far, the drinkability is actually pretty high. In fact, I could drink about 450 of these things in one sitting. Clearly, the ABV is another misprint. Unfortunately, because of the cost, I won't even be buying a six pack. I guess I'll have to give this one another try next time I see it on draft.

2.82/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

My first review! Take this with a grain of salt as I'm a guy who likes wheat beers, so this may just be too strong for me to enjoy.

L: Golden, clear, fluffy one finger head, minimal lacing

S: Hoppity hop

T: Overbearing bitterness that overwhelms light hints of good flavor that I can't even put a name on what I'm tasting... piney? woody?

F: Medium on the light side, good carbonation

O: High expectations with the pour and smell, but the first taste kicked me in the mouth in a not good way. This may just be my own bias as I don't know what a well done extremely bitter beer is compared to a not good one. If I was to guess, though, this is one of the good ones. I couldn't finish it, though, because the bitterness was too strong. This will probably be the best score I could give a beer that I can't finish, though.

2.83/5  rDev -29.4%

A: Pours out a soft caramel body with a white head that rises to just above a finger.

S: The sun shines. A curtain gently blows. There is a soft breeze of pine, perhaps a touch of oranges from the grove.

T: The soft breeze gives way to a gentle rain shower, it tastes like the breeze. Then the breze pushes it along and afterwards there is the taste of crackers with no cheese. The sunny day has returned.

M: That gently shower was really light bodied, don’t you think?

O: For some reason, I really want to like Southern Tier beers. Maybe because my first experience was Gemini, which was spectacular. Everything since has let me down. This IPA feels like it has training wheels on it. Gemini was like a triathlete.

I also just looked at the bottle for reassurance when I went to review, this is a DIPA? Am I missing something?

2.88/5  rDev -28.2%

While still better than the majority of mass-produces beer, this is a representation of the style I am not fond of. It's all hops with just a bit of malt sweetness before the hops take over.

Pine-y resins of hops comes through on the pour, with a pale wheat-straw colour giving up a decent-sized head that dissipated quickly, leaving very little lacing. The taste was as I described above - you get a malty sweetness on the tongue that quickly gives way to the 4 varieties of hops used in this brew. This BA cannot taste any hidden notes of fruits. Finish is very dry & bitter, and this lingers for quite a while on the palate. Mouthfeel is decent, a little thick & with good carbonation.

Overall, not a favourite of mine.

2.89/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into DFH Chalice.

Appearance: My first thought is that this is way too light for a DIPA. The clear straw color is more commonly associated with Pilsners and Lagers. This is not consistant with what a DIPA (or IPA) should look like. The head is a very nice white that rises up close to three fingers and leaves sticky lacing throughout.

Smell: Well, all I get is hops. Strictly Cali here with grapefruit dominating and a slight pine in the background. Big citrusy floral smell that has me excited.

Taste: This thing is a total mess. Maybe the most unbalanced IPA I've ever had. The hops dominate with citrus playing a major role. There is absolutely no malt to speak of which leaves the feeling that one is drinking a hop tea. This reminds me of some IPA's that I've tried at local homebrew competitions, not an offering from a well respected brewery. Also I don't detect any of that ABV which leads me to think that this may not be the 8% it claims.

Mouthfeel: Light, light and light. The mouthfeel is pretty consistant with the color and the taste. There just isn't anything to it.

This is the first time that a BA score has ever let me down. This thing is way too unbalanced for me to enjoy or recommend.

2.9/5  rDev -27.7%

From notes on 11/7/13

Looks kind of like apple juice when poured. Lots of a hop aroma. Taste is pretty hoppy. Decent.

2.9/5  rDev -27.7%

Before I wrote this review - I double checked the other reviews to make sure I was rating the same beer. My review here is NOT so much about the performance of this beer as the perceptions of the other reviewers. I am convinced the others who rated this beer do NOT know what a Double IPA is OR perhaps they have not had a good/great one. I am willing to be ravaged here - if you slay me wrong.

After all, it was labeled as a 2X-IPA. Maybe it spoiled in the bottle BUT this beer falls CLEARLY into the Belgian Ale category. It's sour notes have no place in the IPA category - everything about it screams "Belgian Ale!". As I did take a Silver Medal in competition against 400+ others in the Belgian Ale style - I should be allowed a sharp opinion here.

I would give this beer a MUCH HIGHER rating if it were listed as a Belgian Ale. However, I purchased it because I am a hophead - preferring strong snorts of IPA's and 2xIPA's.

POUR/APPEARANCE: Clear gold.
AROMA: Sour musk.
HEAD: One finger fading.
FLAVOR: Sour malt and heavy malty aftertaste

Absolutely nothing wrong with this beer - if you are after a great Belgian Ale.

2.94/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A: [4.25] Beer is almost totally transparent with a slight chill haze. It has a golden straw color and forms 1 finger of white head. The bottle lists the ABV at 8.2% and there is a date of birth (01/21/16).

S: [3.25] Getting more malt notes than hop notes initially. Caramel, toffee then lemon pith and peaches.

T: [2.50] Assertive hop bitterness up front. This is a hop bomb. My sense of taste is having trouble picking out notes due to the blaring bitterness up front. I am getting lemon rind, and lots of spicy hop notes. There is almost no malt backing it up.

M: [3.00] The carbonation is relatively low and the body is above medium. Lots of bitterness on the finish.

O: [3.00] Not my favorite IPA. I waited a long time for this one and got it pretty fresh. The brew seems out of balance to me. Way too much on the hops and bitter and no malts to balance it out. This is not my favorite DIPA or Southern Tier beer (by a lot).

2.94/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.95/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a darker clear yellow with a head that circles the glass. Nose is citrus and hop pellets, somewhat toned down for a double. Could benefit from some dry hopping. Flavor profile is similar to the pale, with powdery lemon zest, and pine, followed by more citrus flavors like white grapefruit and orange, and finishing with a lasting bitterness. Drinkability is somewhat low here just because the lack of complexity. Just not into it.

2.96/5  rDev -26.2%

reviewed from notes.
smells of soapy hops in aroma but that doesn't come out in flavor thankfully, golden clear in color with a little bit of a copperish tinge. kind of an odd but somewhat balanced flavor, this ipa doesn't really do much for me. not overly hoppy but some bitterness. booziness pretty well masked though, otherwise meh.

2.98/5  rDev -25.7%

Definitely not a west coast dipa.

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company