2XIPA | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Added by mcallister on 04-28-2010

Ratings: 4,602 |  Reviews: 1,078
3.94/5  rDev -2.2%

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

This beer is on tap at most of the bars I go to. This beer will never let you down. True to the 2x. My new go to beer at PNC Park.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.02/5  rDev -0.2%

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

3.23/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.36/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I have been doing a number of brewery-oriented horizontals as a part of the ongoing eradication of The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody & by some circumstance, I have a number of Southern Tier's beers to add to my list. I have been working in fits & starts on this horizontal, having been sidelined by a massive head cold & then by my acquisition of an SN Beer Camp Around the World 12-pack. I now make a triumphal return & continue with this beer!

From the bottle: "Brewed with 4 varieties of Hops and 3 Types of Malts".

I Pop!ped the cap & performed a gentle pour into the awaiting glass as is my wont, following my New Year's resolution to stop inverting my bottles. Once sufficiently decanted, a vigorous in-glass swirl raised just under two fingers of soapy, foamy, tawny head with modest retention. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, prompting a return visit from The Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon, all of whom agreed with my assessment. Nose was grapefruit-citrusy, bitingly bitter & I was ready to go. I know that AIPAs & DIPAs are taking a knock for their inherent bitterness, hence the wave of tropical fruit-flavored AIPAs & DIPAs, but man, I swing on the bitterness. I am a self-avowed, self-described hophead & nothing sends me like bitter, lupulin-driven bitterness! Mouthfeel was medium, a bit light for the style, but I am not complaining. The bitterness of this one was eye-watering, or maybe it was tears of joy. Man, you had better really dig grapefruit & I ain't just talking juice, baby! This was rind, pith, juice, seeds, the whole meghillah with nothing left to go into the compost pile. Man, I was sweating like a white man asking for directions at a Black Panther meeting, dig? Was it the hops? The heat & humidity? My jonesing hops monkey on my back? Some raucous combination thereof? Unknown, but man, I was starting to fly! Dig, baby? This wasn't some groovy trip like that 2X SMaSH vibe, this was tie off, jam in, unleash & get it on time. If you dig this scene, you are one of us. Non-hopheads need not apply. Phew. The unrelenting nature of the grapefruit bitterness had me rocking in my chair. My eyes were as glazed as this morning's donut. Whew. I think that I may have been on the nod. Where has the time gone? Where has all of that beer gone? The glass is now half-empty with no memory of its consumption. My sinuses are wide open, though, & it kind of hurts to breathe. Maybe I'll stop for a while. Breathing, I mean. 9 out of 10 doctors agree that not breathing is not good, but that is why I go to #10. Dr. Scripts, as I like to call him, is my kind of sawbones. He doesn't ask too many of the wrong Qs & just enough of the right ones to write me a script & get me right. Right? Finish left me finished. Man, that was dry. Dry as the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara, dig? Man, we gotta take this trip again, man. What are the ChANces of your putting it in a CAN next time?

Today is MLK Day, M, 15 Jan 2018 & ChANces are excellent, apparently! They not only CANned this bad boy, but they put it in a 16-fl. oz. pint cylinder! Yay! Hooray for The CANQuest (tm) as it scores CANother triumph!

From the CAN: "Why the hell not?"

"Why, indeed?!?" was the question that I was asking myself as I Crack!ed this bad boy open. An inverted Glug was out of the question since it was simply too much liquid to want to deal with & plus, I have weaned myself off of inverted Glugs unless they are really CANpelling. I kind of sat back & allowed it to do its thing after I had it deCANted into the awaiting glass as it formed a cap of dense, foamy, French Vanilla-colored head with great retention of its own volition. Color was a gorgeous Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a beautifully cool minty-pine quality along with a mild earthiness & a bready maltiness. If I did not know otherwise, I would have sworn that this was another fresh-hop AIPA! Mouthfeel was full & creamy & I simply allowed it to roll around on my tongue. The taste remained cool, minty, pine-y and very fresh tasting. It had a flavor like fresh whole-cone hops when rolled in the palms of your hands. Very resinous, sticky and unquestionably hoppy. Mmmm. On the other hand, it was not very bitter, which is something that I have been on my high dudgeon about lately. Ah, but it is a DIPA & therefore bitterness is not as much of a CANcern since an ample amount of hops must be used to CANterbalance what might otherwise be an undrinkable level of IBUs. The malts were, indeed, bready & slightly sweet, but it added up to an unbeatable CANbination. The inherent ABV was well-hidden & I suddenly found myself a quarter of the way through it without a thought or a backwards glance. Ooops! Finish was dry, minty, but only marginally bitter. It was fine by me, but it bears CANsideration if you really want bittering hops.

For me: CAN wins, but either one would be acceptable. I just have a CAN bias.

3.08/5  rDev -23.6%

It poured a hazy golden yellow/orange color and gave the same color body with a one inch white head that dissipated within thirty seconds. Some slight spider web lacing was left. The smell had the citrus up front with the pine and the hops came in strong but slightly in the background. The taste had the hops combining with the pine and the malts subtlely. The palate was about a medium with nothing harsh on the tongue. Overall, personally, I think this was just an average double IPA. I’d probably seek other double IPA’s before this.

4.09/5  rDev +1.5%

3.83/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.45/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

3.95/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Disappointed. Expected better based on rating.

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

4.41/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a clear beer stein. Fair carbonation with a thick head that dissipates rather quickly. A shiny orange color that's quite hazy exists. The aroma obviously reeks of spicy hops and is accompanied by a piney fragrance as well, along with a sweet orange peel smell too. Upon taste, citrus flavors rush the mouth very delicately and the hoppy bitterness soon follows. Feels somewhat light in the mouth and doesn't have much texture however.

Very fantastic.

3.18/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.23/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured bright clear orange color with a fluffy head that dissipated quickly. Aroma is clearly hoppy, taste is well balanced and full of bright piney, citrus complex hop flavors. As it is a double IPA there's a kick of alcohol but it doesn't come off as overly boozy. I Really like this double.

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Southern Tiers 2XIPA has become a long standing classic that IPAs are compared to. If you don't like the Aroma and Taste of 2XIPA you just don't like IPAs. Way to keep cranking out great beers Southern Tier. Cheers.

4.56/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Southern Tier has to be one of my favorite breweries and the 2XIPA never disappoints. Awesome hop flavor that never gets old no how many 2XIPAs you have. Put me down as a big fan.

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company