2XIPA | Southern Tier Brewing Company

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.93/5  rDev -2%

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Orange colored brew that has a large frothy head that laces the glass. Hoppy aroma, subtle pine and grapefruit. The taste has bitterness, pine, muted tropical notes and a citrusy finish. Small amount of malt and alcohol flavors. Full bodied and medium carbonation level. This is a good go-to beer at dive bars or a stadium, it packs a bit of a punch.

4.16/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.94/5  rDev -1.7%

3.93/5  rDev -2%

This beer is on tap at most of the bars I go to. This beer will never let you down. True to the 2x. My new go to beer at PNC Park.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.02/5  rDev +0.2%

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.36/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I have been doing a number of brewery-oriented horizontals as a part of the ongoing eradication of The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody & by some circumstance, I have a number of Southern Tier's beers to add to my list. I have been working in fits & starts on this horizontal, having been sidelined by a massive head cold & then by my acquisition of an SN Beer Camp Around the World 12-pack. I now make a triumphal return & continue with this beer!

From the bottle: "Brewed with 4 varieties of Hops and 3 Types of Malts".

I Pop!ped the cap & performed a gentle pour into the awaiting glass as is my wont, following my New Year's resolution to stop inverting my bottles. Once sufficiently decanted, a vigorous in-glass swirl raised just under two fingers of soapy, foamy, tawny head with modest retention. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, prompting a return visit from The Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon, all of whom agreed with my assessment. Nose was grapefruit-citrusy, bitingly bitter & I was ready to go. I know that AIPAs & DIPAs are taking a knock for their inherent bitterness, hence the wave of tropical fruit-flavored AIPAs & DIPAs, but man, I swing on the bitterness. I am a self-avowed, self-described hophead & nothing sends me like bitter, lupulin-driven bitterness! Mouthfeel was medium, a bit light for the style, but I am not complaining. The bitterness of this one was eye-watering, or maybe it was tears of joy. Man, you had better really dig grapefruit & I ain't just talking juice, baby! This was rind, pith, juice, seeds, the whole meghillah with nothing left to go into the compost pile. Man, I was sweating like a white man asking for directions at a Black Panther meeting, dig? Was it the hops? The heat & humidity? My jonesing hops monkey on my back? Some raucous combination thereof? Unknown, but man, I was starting to fly! Dig, baby? This wasn't some groovy trip like that 2X SMaSH vibe, this was tie off, jam in, unleash & get it on time. If you dig this scene, you are one of us. Non-hopheads need not apply. Phew. The unrelenting nature of the grapefruit bitterness had me rocking in my chair. My eyes were as glazed as this morning's donut. Whew. I think that I may have been on the nod. Where has the time gone? Where has all of that beer gone? The glass is now half-empty with no memory of its consumption. My sinuses are wide open, though, & it kind of hurts to breathe. Maybe I'll stop for a while. Breathing, I mean. 9 out of 10 doctors agree that not breathing is not good, but that is why I go to #10. Dr. Scripts, as I like to call him, is my kind of sawbones. He doesn't ask too many of the wrong Qs & just enough of the right ones to write me a script & get me right. Right? Finish left me finished. Man, that was dry. Dry as the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara, dig? Man, we gotta take this trip again, man. What are the ChANces of your putting it in a CAN next time?

3.08/5  rDev -23.2%

It poured a hazy golden yellow/orange color and gave the same color body with a one inch white head that dissipated within thirty seconds. Some slight spider web lacing was left. The smell had the citrus up front with the pine and the hops came in strong but slightly in the background. The taste had the hops combining with the pine and the malts subtlely. The palate was about a medium with nothing harsh on the tongue. Overall, personally, I think this was just an average double IPA. I’d probably seek other double IPA’s before this.

4.09/5  rDev +2%

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.45/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Disappointed. Expected better based on rating.

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company