2XIPA | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Added by mcallister on 04-28-2010

Ratings: 4,602 |  Reviews: 1,078

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.27/5  rDev +6%

Was happy to find this sixers at MaaDoodles in Joplin, MO!

Pours an effervescent gold with 2 fingers of pearl colored head. Above average lacing & okay
head retention

S: Lemony notes, slight breadyness

T: Grapefruit, breadyness, lemons up front. Grapefruit lemons & slight pear notes as this warms, along with a whisper of pineapple, plus some dryness & leafy hops. Finishes with a touch of honey, plus grapefruit & lemons in abundance, & a touch of peppery & piney hops as well

MF: Medium bodied, soft carbonation, gets a bit chewier & warming as this warms

Drinks too easy, abv is well hidden & this could just as easily pass for a ballsy IPA. Very nice, will buy more in the future if still around. This would go great with some green chile or Thai red curry

4.36/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I have been doing a number of brewery-oriented horizontals as a part of the ongoing eradication of The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody & by some circumstance, I have a number of Southern Tier's beers to add to my list. I have been working in fits & starts on this horizontal, having been sidelined by a massive head cold & then by my acquisition of an SN Beer Camp Around the World 12-pack. I now make a triumphal return & continue with this beer!

From the bottle: "Brewed with 4 varieties of Hops and 3 Types of Malts".

I Pop!ped the cap & performed a gentle pour into the awaiting glass as is my wont, following my New Year's resolution to stop inverting my bottles. Once sufficiently decanted, a vigorous in-glass swirl raised just under two fingers of soapy, foamy, tawny head with modest retention. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, prompting a return visit from The Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon, all of whom agreed with my assessment. Nose was grapefruit-citrusy, bitingly bitter & I was ready to go. I know that AIPAs & DIPAs are taking a knock for their inherent bitterness, hence the wave of tropical fruit-flavored AIPAs & DIPAs, but man, I swing on the bitterness. I am a self-avowed, self-described hophead & nothing sends me like bitter, lupulin-driven bitterness! Mouthfeel was medium, a bit light for the style, but I am not complaining. The bitterness of this one was eye-watering, or maybe it was tears of joy. Man, you had better really dig grapefruit & I ain't just talking juice, baby! This was rind, pith, juice, seeds, the whole meghillah with nothing left to go into the compost pile. Man, I was sweating like a white man asking for directions at a Black Panther meeting, dig? Was it the hops? The heat & humidity? My jonesing hops monkey on my back? Some raucous combination thereof? Unknown, but man, I was starting to fly! Dig, baby? This wasn't some groovy trip like that 2X SMaSH vibe, this was tie off, jam in, unleash & get it on time. If you dig this scene, you are one of us. Non-hopheads need not apply. Phew. The unrelenting nature of the grapefruit bitterness had me rocking in my chair. My eyes were as glazed as this morning's donut. Whew. I think that I may have been on the nod. Where has the time gone? Where has all of that beer gone? The glass is now half-empty with no memory of its consumption. My sinuses are wide open, though, & it kind of hurts to breathe. Maybe I'll stop for a while. Breathing, I mean. 9 out of 10 doctors agree that not breathing is not good, but that is why I go to #10. Dr. Scripts, as I like to call him, is my kind of sawbones. He doesn't ask too many of the wrong Qs & just enough of the right ones to write me a script & get me right. Right? Finish left me finished. Man, that was dry. Dry as the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara, dig? Man, we gotta take this trip again, man. What are the ChANces of your putting it in a CAN next time?

Today is MLK Day, M, 15 Jan 2018 & ChANces are excellent, apparently! They not only CANned this bad boy, but they put it in a 16-fl. oz. pint cylinder! Yay! Hooray for The CANQuest (tm) as it scores CANother triumph!

From the CAN: "Why the hell not?"

"Why, indeed?!?" was the question that I was asking myself as I Crack!ed this bad boy open. An inverted Glug was out of the question since it was simply too much liquid to want to deal with & plus, I have weaned myself off of inverted Glugs unless they are really CANpelling. I kind of sat back & allowed it to do its thing after I had it deCANted into the awaiting glass as it formed a cap of dense, foamy, French Vanilla-colored head with great retention of its own volition. Color was a gorgeous Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a beautifully cool minty-pine quality along with a mild earthiness & a bready maltiness. If I did not know otherwise, I would have sworn that this was another fresh-hop AIPA! Mouthfeel was full & creamy & I simply allowed it to roll around on my tongue. The taste remained cool, minty, pine-y and very fresh tasting. It had a flavor like fresh whole-cone hops when rolled in the palms of your hands. Very resinous, sticky and unquestionably hoppy. Mmmm. On the other hand, it was not very bitter, which is something that I have been on my high dudgeon about lately. Ah, but it is a DIPA & therefore bitterness is not as much of a CANcern since an ample amount of hops must be used to CANterbalance what might otherwise be an undrinkable level of IBUs. The malts were, indeed, bready & slightly sweet, but it added up to an unbeatable CANbination. The inherent ABV was well-hidden & I suddenly found myself a quarter of the way through it without a thought or a backwards glance. Ooops! Finish was dry, minty, but only marginally bitter. It was fine by me, but it bears CANsideration if you really want bittering hops.

For me: CAN wins, but either one would be acceptable. I just have a CAN bias.

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

12 ounce bottle - 1.79 at Hop City in Atlanta, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazed body hued halfway between yellow and gold and topped with a medium-sized, near white head.

Smell: Hops primarily on display with tropical fruits, extracted resins, and featuring lemon and tangerine, heavy on the pith, giving a dusting of finely-ground aspirin. Some understated biscuity malts underneath.

Taste: Pale malts, a bit biscuity and with a touch of waterlogged soda crackers. Minute sweetness. Floral, resinous hops, a dash of pineapple juice and with a snap of citric medicinal tones. Moderate bitterness. Unassuming taste of store-bought pie shells. Bitter, near dry, hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: It's decent, though not as personally rousing as some of their other hop-centric offerings.

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a clear golden color with a small white head on top, very little retention with minimal lacing on the sides.

S: Decent aroma, some light pine and floral hops. There is a bit of caramel and biscuit malt underneath. Faint alcohol.

T: Not overly hoppy for a DIPA, some caramel a faint floral hops. Not a lot going on here really.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: An average double IPA. Probably won't seek it out again.

3.77/5  rDev -6.5%

Wow....there is alot going on with the Southern Tier 2X IPA...sheesh! The appearance is a golden yellow, clear, with little carbonation and very little, mostly non-existent head...that looks white in color. The smell is complex hops and malt. I believe the hops include Semcoe for the body and slightly citrus notes....other is possibly East Kent Hops. The other two....could possibly be casscade and ???. One of the malts used is sweet....all blended together to mask the 8%+ ABV. The taste is well balanced....hops definitely power the beer, the malt is used to keep bitterness at bay and to help clean the pallate on the after taste. Overall it is a crazy beer, definitely worth trying. One per session would be enough though.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

another one i was thrilled to be able to get ahold of as a nice extra. served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 08/20/2010.

really a pretty nice pour here, light golden amber, with loads of carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass, very well done with tons of head that came up and over the top forming the nice lacing down the side of the glass.

light citrus starts it off, lots of pineapple and grapefruit coming off here. light though with hints of grass, nice touches of light malt mid palate. as you take the sip the first thing you notice is the light, crisp body and the clean, easy drinking nature, especially for the abv. it just drank soo clean. nice touches of grapefruit an crisp, dry hops bit the tongue and dry the palate out oerfectly. smooth, long finish ends it just where it needed to.

overall as solid as they get and just really very well done. would have no issue with doing this one again any day.

3.7/5  rDev -8.2%

I appreciated the chance to try this, thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing. Poured chilled from the 12oz into a tulip

A - A very clear golden with amber accented liquied and a thin white cap which drops to a ring w/ good clinging lace that holds

S - An arom of hops that has a strong piney aspect and mild acidic citrus note that lingers w/ slight grassy aroma accented by herbal notes and mild sweet odor w/ a pungent fruit ester

M - Well carbonated brew w/ a mild acidic and slight resinous hoppy feel w/ a dry spicy finish

T - The flavor has an apparent simcoe taste immediately w/ spicy pepper and herbs from the hops and funky cat piss-like acid in the hops. the flavor of simcoe gives the beer an acidity and spiciness w/ mild citrus afternote and mildly sweet malty flavor w/ light alcohol influence in the warming finish

D - A tasty brew, not the best in the style by any means, but flavorful and drinkable. Kind of one dimensional in the grand scheme so just above average form me - it could use more hop flavor other than spice to win me over

4.07/5  rDev +1%

2XIPA appears light orange and mostly clear with an inch of white frothy head that leaves a few spots of lacing. The aroma is of alcohol and hops with hints of citrus fruit. The beer tastes very good, but the alcohol presence is a bit too forward, detracting from the pleasant citrus and hop flavors, slightly decreasing the overall drinkability and enjoyment. Overall, a good beer and worth a try.

3.99/5  rDev -1%

On tap at New England Tap house Grille.
Comes to the table a slightly hazy light golden color with a smallish off white head that persists. Smells of hops, yeah no shit right? Pine and citrus with a bit of grapefruit and resin, light bready caramel malt provides a hint of balance. The flavor is fruity hops with lots of citrus and pine and a bit of caramel to round it all out. Solid but smooth hop bitterness. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a slick resinous mouthfeel. Nice smooth flavorful IPA, I really enjoyed this.

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

A dual recommendation from VDubb and my man Jeff, another entry in the ongoing Leaving Falls Church uber-bender. It pours a clear orange-ish golden straw topped by a half-finger of quickly-dying white foam. The nose comprises onion, celery, pine resin, ruby red grapefruit juice, a hint of straight alcohol, and a smattering of sweet caramel. Honestly, I'm not too big a fan of this smell. The taste is more about the pine and caramel, though a small hint o' leek makes its way in there too. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a mostly smooth feel. Overall, a decent DIPA, but the smell is a negative; beyond that, it's not too bad.

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%