2XIPA | Southern Tier Brewing Company

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

4.44/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Slightly hazy golden color poured into a tulip glass. Most IPA's are more toward the amber side so this was a bit unexpected. A decent white head lingered and left fairly good laing

Aroma: Hops but not "knock your socks off" hops. Citrusy and pine notes dominate. There is just a touch of breadiness in the background but you have to really look for it.

Taste: Interesting intermingling of three things. The hops bitterness is both immediately apparent and it lingers at the end. At first, you don't find much malt sweetness but there is just a a bit and it fits in perfectly with what you got from the aroma. What is also going on in this beer is the alcohol. Unlike some DIPA's, the alcohol is not hidden in this beer and I think it serves to reduce what might be an otherwise undrinkable bitterness to a much more tolerable level.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light with medium carbonation but it lingers on the palate. I wouldn't say it has a sweet finish but it's definitely not dry.

Overall: This is a very nice DIPA. Too many are nothing but hops, hops, and more hops and so bitter they are simply intolerable. This has a nice intermingling of hops, a bit of malt, and some alcohol to compete with the hops. My only critique is that I would have liked a bit more hops on the nose.

BTW, if you pick up this beer, let it warm a bit. It is much more balanced and I find the malt asserting itself a bit more as the beer warms. I left it out of the fridge 30 minutes before I poured and it wouldn't have hurt to have left it out 10-15 more. Either it's getting better as it warms or I'm feeling the alcohol. :-)

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

3.15/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This pours rich clear yellow-gold with fairly large bubbles, minimal head.

Smells a bit off to me, skunk like, at least cold out of the bottle. Born less than 4 months ago and not in the light, but some beers just come off odd to me, my smeller picks up odd things. As it warmed it smelled better, floral and citrus, perhaps grapefruit.

taste is mostly hoppy - pine, and lemon peel. It has some sweet syrupy backbone I do enjoy, maple like but not really, and it is real subtle.

Mouthfeel isn't bad, the syrupy heft is nice and the bubbles provide a decent mouthfeel.

Overall, this is great if you are looking for over the top pine and hop. I guess if you are reaching for a 2xIPA that is what you are looking for. I just thought the type of bitter was a bit too sharp, not quite the aggressiveness I would be looking for. The odd nose put me off, but I was able to drink through that.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%