2XIPA | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Added by mcallister on 04-28-2010

Ratings: 4,535 |  Reviews: 1,069

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.39/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to griffeyb for sending me this one.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

It pours a hazy almost amber color with a medium head that dissipates quickly leaving a nice amount of splotchy lacing. The bread and malts hit your nose up front and then the hops come through nicely after. It is not quite as hoppy as I expected since it is a IIPA but still damn good. A medium amount of carbonation with this guy. Overall, I really enjoyed this brew. If I could get it near me I would definitely pick up more.

3.76/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a glass mug. The beer pours golden with a minimal white head and lots of visible tiny bubbles rising in the beer. There's a light aroma of hops. There's citrus and pine with some bready malt in the background. The taste absolutely follows the nose. The citrus and piney hops are forward with some sweetness and breadiness from the malt. It's very straightforward. The alcohol is also there in the flavor. The body is medium with moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty smooth and a bit sweet on the finish. This is a very good beer.

3.61/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear darkish gold with a half finger white head that fades away rather quickly. Just a few splotches of foam left on top of the beer with a couple wisps of lacing.

Aroma of pine, some overripe citrus, and a little dankness. There is also a little caramel sneaking through that I can pick up. The aroma is quite weak overall and unimpressive.

The taste is also quite underwhelming. There is a lot of dankness along with overripe citrus, very similar to the aroma, and equally as weak. The hop flavors are really quite fleeting and are gone midway through the sip. Overripe citrus is present with a little light citrus lingering on faintly. Bitterness is only moderate but does do well hiding the alcohol. Mouthfeel is full with a slightly sticky finish.

Overall, I was a little disappointed by this brew. The hops are just way too weak and this was only a couple months past the bottling date. Boost the hop flavor and this beer would be worlds better.

2.9/5  rDev -27.7%

Before I wrote this review - I double checked the other reviews to make sure I was rating the same beer. My review here is NOT so much about the performance of this beer as the perceptions of the other reviewers. I am convinced the others who rated this beer do NOT know what a Double IPA is OR perhaps they have not had a good/great one. I am willing to be ravaged here - if you slay me wrong.

After all, it was labeled as a 2X-IPA. Maybe it spoiled in the bottle BUT this beer falls CLEARLY into the Belgian Ale category. It's sour notes have no place in the IPA category - everything about it screams "Belgian Ale!". As I did take a Silver Medal in competition against 400+ others in the Belgian Ale style - I should be allowed a sharp opinion here.

I would give this beer a MUCH HIGHER rating if it were listed as a Belgian Ale. However, I purchased it because I am a hophead - preferring strong snorts of IPA's and 2xIPA's.

POUR/APPEARANCE: Clear gold.
AROMA: Sour musk.
HEAD: One finger fading.
FLAVOR: Sour malt and heavy malty aftertaste

Absolutely nothing wrong with this beer - if you are after a great Belgian Ale.

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Super clear, golden straw yellow color. Almost looks like a macro. Good carbonation. Doesn't look like a lot of double IPAs and I'm a bit turned off the look.

S: Dank, citrus hop smell with a bit of pine going on. Smells a lot better than it looks.

T: Tastes just like it smells. More of the pine comes through on the taste rather than the smell. Has a syrupy quality from the hop resins and the sweetness from the malt comes in near the end but it's ultimately capped off with hop bitterness. Pretty refreshing though can start to get some of the booziness after a few sips.

M: Medium bodied. I could see this getting more syrupy as it warms up. I'm drinking it straight out of the fridge.

O: Was bottled on 3/7/13 so pretty fresh. I'll be honest, I don't like this nearly as much as their regular IPA. I would pick up the IPA over the 2XIPA if they were next to each other. I'd also note that this would probably be best not as your first beer of the night but maybe your 2nd or 3rd.

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company