2XIPA | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mcallister on 04-28-2010

Reviews: 1,054 | Ratings: 4,466
4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Southern Tier coming through with a HUGE new entry into the market. Seriously, this beer is the heat. The funk. The shiz with a Z. Best new East Coast DIPA in a long time.

12oz bottle into my snifter. I can already smell it. The golden translucent body has a touch of orange highlights. Head falls quickly to a ring, white froth sticks around. Nice touch of lace considering the style and ABV.

Smell is HUGE hoppiness. Citrus funk. Lots of pine, grapefruit, simcoe cat piss, and just amazing depth of hops.

So, I've heard desparate (or optimistic) East Coasters make some crazy comparisons lately, and, as someone well versed in the nectar of the West, I must say with a heavy heart that the comparisons are unfounded. But this is a great beer, I'm not saying anything else, but it's not in Russian River territory. Look, it's just not quite the finesse of Elder. But the flavors are in the ballpark. And Younger? Forgetabout it. Not even close kids, mostly due to the ABV being just 2/3 of younger's. That's like Screech from Saved by the Bell getting in the ring with Tyson.

What we do have is a nice caramel sweetness just north of water. Perfect carb. Nice hoppy bitterness that matches the pine and citrus of the nose. I know, I'm mixing mouthfeel and taste together, so what, I'm loving this beer. A hair short of legendary, but I'd put this head to head VS Double Trouble and Hopslam any day.

Overall, I'm impressed. This is a great beer from Southern Tier, hoppy copper and clear, one of the best so far this year, and go get one - ya hear?

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%

A double IPA from a good brewery that's only $8.99 a six pack? No way I'm not giving this a try.

Pours a light orange/amber, smallish head to it. Aroma is of citrusy hops. Medium bodied, tons of flavor here. Nice hoppiness but it's not overbearing, balanced VERY well. Compared to most imperial/double IPA's this is a smooth drinker. Way too drinkable for its 8.2% ABV. Highly recommended, won't let you down.

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured a hazy golden color. Small white head. Light bodied, unusual for a double IPA, not as much hop character as a double IPA. Citrus, light pine. You would never guess this to be almost 8.5 percent. This is a very drinkable beer. Not your typical DOUBLE IPA but still very good.

4.41/5  rDev +10%

A- the beer is light in appearance, clear, not hazy.

S- holy cow, when I smell this beer I know there is no way I won't love it. The aroma is intoxicating in its own right and I don't think I even have to taste it to buy this beer again. Big floral hops, and piney and citrusy hops blossom as you inhale the sweet nectar.

T- this beer doesn't let you down at all on the palate. The taste is much like the smell and confirms my assumption that this beer will be a fixture in my refrigerator from now on. Hops, hops, hops.... yes I do love you. This is not a double IPA that has a clear/strong malt sweetness, it is just an intense hop bomb.

M- The beer is light on the tongue and the carbonation is just right for the style. Very fitting mouthfeel for this beer.

D- This beer doesn't drink like a beer that is 8.2% and I could definitely drink a couple of these. I do believe that I would leave it at that though due to the intense hop assault.

This is the first time I have tried this beer and I am so pleased that I have finally tried it. As I have mentioned, it will be a fixture at my home and will be consumed over and over again. I highly recommend this DIPA to all hop heads out there.

4.41/5  rDev +10%

Appearance - This beer poured like a double IPA - thin due to the higher % alcohol. Most of the opaqueness was filtered out and it had an off-white head with average sustainability. It had a nice golden honey color and average carbonation.

Smell - This is where this beer hits a home run! Hops, hops and more hops. Citrus (grapefruit, lime/orange zest), with hints of earthy/grassy and floral undertones...this is what most IPA/2IPA beers strive to deliver. One of my favorites.

Taste - The beer's flavors are similar to the nose but with a touch of sweetness. Great balance for a all you hop lovers. A well balanced and a very delicious 2(X)IPA.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability - It drinks more like an IPA...Easier than most doubles. A bit thiner, and touch more carbonation than expected make this a very enjoyable beer. Would I buy again? I just bought a case!!!

Other - Serve in a tulip or snifter to really enjoy the hops aroma and serve at the temperature you prefer a pale ale or standard IPA (a few degrees cooler than a thicker, heartier 2IPA) for maximum enjoyment.

look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First of all let me say that I judge beers based on what I like rather than the brewing style a beer is supposed to be. I love this beer because it is hoppy and fruity. For a Double IPA it is very sweet. But I find that so many Double IPA focus on the bitterness. I really love this beer because it tastes great and it is easy enough to drink that my girlfriend will share a few with me.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Slightly hazy golden amber color, thin white head very little lacing.

Smell: Citrus, hops, and pine notes.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Strong bitter pine taste with a good hint of hops and citrus.

Overall: Good IPA. Would buy this one again.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright and clear pale golden orange with lots of rising bubbles. Big four finger creamy white head with very good retention. Leaves a lot of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Very hoppy and lively. Big burst of citrus hops upfront with hints of grapefruit, orange peel, mango, pineapple, and lemon. Solid hints of spicy pine resin and grassy hops. Solid malt background with good hints of bready biscuit, caramel, and toffee. Really solid aroma.

Taste: Like the smell, a very hop forward taste with a nice malt backbone. Big citrus hop esters with notes of grapefruit, mango, oranges, pineapple, and lemon. Some pine resin adds a nice spice. Hops are also grassy and floral. Solid malt presence in the background with good notes of biscuit, toffee, and caramel. Pretty good.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Juicy and slightly oily. Goes down pretty smooth for the style and the alcohol heat is minimized.

Overall: A really good Double IPA. Big hops with good esters and a nice malt balance. Great to have this year round when the hard to get Double IPA's are out of season.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

On-tap at the Porter Beer Bar in Atlanta.

Pours a light copper color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of pale malts with large amounts of bright tropical fruit and citrus hop aromas. As it warms slight amounts of herbal hops waft out as well.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Crisp pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined shortly by large amounts of citrus and tropical fruit hop flavors. Midway through the sip the hop flavors turn toward the sweeter side of things just a bit, carrying through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by this beer, although admittedly I shouldn't be as almost all of ST's big beers are top notch. A very good but not quite world class DIPA that's well worth a shot.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Very clear. Perfectly golden. One finger of head.

S: Very aromatic. Grapefruit, tangerine and citrus dominate the nose.

T: I get orange peel and pine right away. Lot of hops. Turns into grapefruit and tropical fruit. Followed by a nice balance of malt without leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. No alcohol at all here. Very crisp and refreshing.

M: Really great mouthfeel. Not overly carbonated - perfectly adds to how refreshing this beer is.

D: Very drinkable. On my 3rd beer now. Even at 8% this doesn't slow me down. Very refreshing and drinkable. I will make sure to purchase this beer again. Great value for the price.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

pours bright clear golden yellow with a 2 finger chunky pillowy head that left lacing all down the glass

smells of citus(reminds me of sn torpedo) some pine grapefruit pineapple

taste is very similar to the nose - lots of fruity hop flavors with just enough sweet honey malt on the end

mouthfeel is medium body that is crisp

drinkability is great - the beer is somewhere in between ipa and dipa

purchased 6 pack, no freshness date on bottle, poured into chalice glass:

a: Pale amber color, decent off white head that dissipated and left a film of foam on the surface, some patchy lacing on the sides. This beer is extremely clear looking; they must've really gotten into that irish moss for this one.

s: smells wonderful, perfectly hoppy in every way; floral, fruity, citrusy, herbal, piney, spicy. Followed by traces of bready malts, this beer says "I'm going to taste f**king delicious!"

t: sweet hoppy flavors hit the palette first, followed by a bitter dry hop flavor. The malt flavor is suppressed quite a bit by the hops, but a bready biscuity flavor lingers and holds on for dear life, hoping that it even be noticed. (I really got into that line, I know, ha)

m/o: mouthfeel is good, nothing making me say it's THE BEST, but it is damn drinkable for a dipa! These are my favorite imperials: the ones that are incredibly hoppy, but still maintain drinkability to the fullest extent, and aren't overly bitter. This beer truly was a surprise; I seem to have worked my way on the southern tier totem pole starting at the wrong point. I started with gemini ($9/22oz) and was somewhat disappointed for the price, then I got the oaked unearthly ($8/22oz) which was much better, in fact, great, but still so pricey. But lo and behold the southern tier 2xIPA for ($10.5/72oz) is my favorite! Do yourself a favor and buy this beer before splurging on a bomber, or maybe even the regular southern tier IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

12 oz bottle pours a mostly clear, light gold color with a creamy cap of dense white head. Lacing great and retention is nice. A good looking brewski.

Nose has a floral, mildly citric and tropical hop aroma. Alcohol is notable and intensifies the fruity aromatics. Malt is just a bit biscuity, but mostly stays in the background with a light graininess.

Quite smooth, surprisingly. The bitterness is not overly abrasive and the hop flavor is huge. The light malts help the hops keep the main focus from beginning to end, has a very nice flow to it for a DIPA. The alcohol is there, but never gets harsh...the beer drinks very smooth. I like it, this one really agrees with me for some reason. One of the few DIPAs I could actually drink a few of in a row.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

This beer arrives at my table your standard IPA medium amber color with a very attractive and sticky looking head that leaves excellent lace on the sides of the glass. The aroma is wonderful. Pine, grapefruit and just enough malt sweetness to bring out the fruity notes. Exactly what I am looking for in a double. I take a sip and am immediately impressed. Plenty of bitter grapefruit, pine, citrus pith and lemon zest assault my tongue. There is a nice spice character in there as well that really brightens up the flavors. There seems to be a major bitter component going on here, but an ample amount of pale biscuity malt is there to hold it all up. Very balanced, yet still doing a great job of showcasing the hops. Medium bodied with a great, dry finish and ample carbonation. 2X goes down very easily, which is good news because it is not only delicious, but fairly affordable as well.

Served in a Pint Glass.

A: Nice dark gold, Pale honey color with about a 2 1/2 finger head, and mildly cloudy.

S: Clean Citus Aroma with floral hints.

T: In my opinion one of the easiest double's to drink. Very smooth, clean, and refreshing. Big tastes of Orange. Slightly grassy. Would not believe it was 8.2%ABV if it didn't say so on the label. This stuff can really creep up on ya if you're not careful!

M: The bubbles in this brew play such a big part releasing all the citrus & floral notes.

O: Southern Tier does it every time. This is probably my favorite brew from the guys at southern. I'll claim every now and then i've found a new "best i.p.a" until of course I go back and have another southern tier x2 IPA. Truly one of my favorites.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a clear, light gold with a two finger head that fades slowly and leaves ok lacing.

The aroma is a bouquet of floral, grassy, honeysuckle, grapefruit, orange, and pine on top of a clean, toasted malt background.

Touch of mild caramel on toast with loads of citrus, floral and pine. Nice balance.

Medium bodied, dry finish

Easy to drink, crisp, refreshing. Great beer!

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Well seen a bunch a reviews for this not sure if the beer is inconsitant of just one of those love them or hate them beers.

I really liked this it did remind me a bit like pliney as some have mentioned.

The beer pours a thick head has a light see through yellow color and a memorable taste to it as well.

I really got a almost candied flavor at the same time it was light and airy.

I would love to have on tap and look forward to having again.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a clean yellow color with orange hints, with a white head. In the aroma, grapefruity citrus hops. In the taste, HOPS, mostly a grapefruity citrus but ending with a pine like hop. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry pine like hop aftertaste. Nice big hops, mix of grapefruit and pine. Hides the 8%, and quite nice.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Look: Cloudy golden amber color, one finger width o lacey head
Smell: Citrusy hops
Taste: Very nice citrusy hop taste, full hop flavor, but not overpowering, very balanced DIPA!
Feel: Smooth, nice aftertaste
Drink: Beyond drinkable, this is by far the best beer I have had from Southern Tier, very enjoyable, will definitely pick this one up again.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

A- poured a transparent golden color with a frothy white head. medium lacing.

S- just some piney and alil grapefruit hops. the way an ipa should smell!

T- for how hoppy it is it's actually not too bitter. the malt is there so slighty but more of a flavorful ipa than a bitter. the alcohol is undetected.

M- medium/light bodied. good carbonation.

D- i'm glad they didn't go shniebly and just put these out in 4 packs like other companies would do.

Overall- this might be my go-to-beer from now on. i don't know if it's just my taste buds being destroyed by all the other hoppy beers i love but i found the bitterness to be very low. if you're a hophead i highly suggest to give this one a try.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

355 mL bottle, no dating, using an oversized wine glass.

Pours a hazy golden-orange colour with a moderate-sized soapy head that gets retained as a collar and leaves a bit of lacing.

Very smooth aroma. Well-balanced citrus with a grapefruit tartness and tangerine sweetness, as well as a buttery tone and thick, biscuit-y malt backing. Piney alcohol comes through after warming, but it's not intimidating.

Again, very smooth in taste, especially for the style. Syrupy, butterscotch sweetness at first. A maltiness takes on characteristics of dark rye. A bitter, almost sour grapefruit-like citrus kicks in at the end.

The collar sticks around forever, contributing to a fairly thick and creamy mouthfeel. ABV makes itself known in the finish with a warming sour bite before going dry on the back of the throat.

A bit of a palate thrasher. It's easy to drink a few, but I can really enjoy one or two to the fullest on any given day. It's a bit pricey, but something I'll definitely toss in my basket whenever I run into it. Great compliment to spicy foods and grilled summer fare.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

A: A delicious deep amber color with a thick creamy head.

S: Citrus up front, mostly grapefruit, but with hints of orange and lemon zest. Malt follows the hop note with its heavy caramel sweetness, quite an enticing smell.

T: This is a delicious beer the bitterness from the hops is just perfect, not too strong but just enough to leave that tart finish. The grapefruit flavor mingles with the spicy malt character. The flavor smooths out as the beer warms allowing the malt to overpower some of the hoppiness.

M: Smooth and heavy body, finishes a little on the thin side though. Bitterness lingers on the back of the tongue.

D: Overall this IPA was just what I needed after so many over the top IPA's that focus on bitterness and loose sight of the hop flavor. This is definitely a beer a will buy again, and again probably.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Fawn or earth yellow. Very clear with a navajo, or off white colored head that lingers only for a few minutes.

S: Very distinct hop aroma( apricot, peach and pineapple). Fleeting alcohol esters. Roasted malt as well.

T: Floral notes out front, with hints of citrus, white peach, cherry and mango. Secondary flavor is an assertive malt flavor, somewhat a mix between pale, and munich malts. Other notes of honey, lemon, pineapple and grapefruit. Dry finish with hints of vanilla.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation. Very bitter and slightly sweet at times. Little alcohol taste noticed.

O: This was a great DIPA, one of the best ive tried in a while. Balance is what makes this beer great. Its not overwhelming in any one sense besides bitterness. Great floral mix with intense grapefruit and vanilla as well.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Clear straw, some small white lace, leaves to ponds of film. Some cling lace.

S - Fruity patooty. More than citrus, goes on to more lush fatty fruits. Tropical. Of course, huge hope presence.

T - Nice malt center that you don't get in West Coast, mingled with some citrus but mostly tropical fruits, bittered nicely at the end.

M - Good carb, like the fruit bitter combo, fair balance.

D - For the ABV, great session.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a mild golden color with a thick and fluffy head into my glass.

Aroma is full of floral hops with a hint of citrus, mainly grapefruit. Good way to start it off.

Taste is crisp with a strong dollop of grapefruit in the middle, only slightly balanced out by the malt. Not as strong as UnEarthly.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering grapefruit/grassy hops. Very nice hop profile here. Easy to drink fresh.

I certainly enjoy it. It may be a good introduction to ST's line of imperial IPAs (UnEarthly, Oak-Aged UnEarthly, Gemini) for someone who's never had them. Drink fresh as always for optimum hop flavor/aroma.

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company