2XIPA | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mcallister on 04-28-2010

Reviews: 1,054 | Ratings: 4,466
4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

A - candy orange, white head

S - Citrus, has a very clean smell, orange peel

T - Malt and hop bitterness are upfront, following citrus then smoothing out with a creamy finish.

M - Smooth, perfect carbonation

Overall this is one of my favorite IPA's. Perfectly balanced leaning more towards the hop bill then the malt, but that is how I like it!

A-Pours a clear golden amber color with less than an inch of head that rapidly disappears leaving minimal lacing about the glass.
S-Piney hops, piney hops, piney hops and then some nice sweet citrus aromas of grapefruit and orange.
T-The hops dominate the taste of this beer and while there is the usual bite it does not have a lingering bitterness, rather the afternotes are bready malts and an earthy grassy finish.
M-Chewy and medium bodied with moderate carbonation.
D-Very nice and pleasant for a DIPA. This is one where I'm glad I bought a 6'r and look forward to finishing them off.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

A - pours a pale orange-gold with a small white head. This is much more pale than their regular IPA. Very attractive lacing on the glass.

S - great hop smells. Lots of grapefruit, lemon, and orange citrus smells plus some pine.

T - slightly sweet malt up front with caramel notes, followed by a lot of hop flavors, mainly citrus and pine. Good amount of bitterness in the middle. There's some decent fruitiness with some hints of tropical fruits (pineapple and a bit of papaya-like mustiness, surprisingly enough). Finish is actually less bitter than I expected, with a bit of booziness. It does leave a bit of lingering spiciness.

M - medium body and carbonation. Leaves a good amount of oiliness from the hops.

D - quite drinkable, though I like it when IPAs have a more dry finish. It's above average for the style, certainly.

Another solid offering from Southern Tier. It's hard to say whether I like this more than the regular IPA, because they're both great! If you're looking for a bigger beer go with this one, of course.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

A- 4.5 Pours a very nice clear golden color with a one finger white head. One thin column of bubbles rises from the stem of the glass, and a wall of micro bubbles laces the edges smoothly. Sticky lacy remains stay throughout.

S- 4.5 Strong hops and a grapefruit citrus dominate the nose. There's a tinge of honey-like sweetness coming from the malts. The smell has my mouth puckering in anticipation.

T- 4.5 Mmm, this is just what I pictured from the aroma... I'm again getting grapefruit and a nice-but-not-overbearing hoppiness. It is mellowed out nicely by the malts as you take it down. Great tasting big IPA.

M- 4.5 This brew has almost a perfect feel to it; it is medium in body and has a great carbonation level that provides a nice smoothness. Just a bit of syrup to it on the finish keeps me from giving it a 5.

D- 4.5 A very nice offering all around. Hop heads: I don't consider myself one yet and I love it. It goes down very easily for its high ABV and is smooth and refreshing. I'd put it close to - if not on par - with Bell's Hopslam. Glad to have Southern Tier in KY now!

Although I was told this beer to be "flying off the shelf", I can not understand why. A golden coloured poured into a large pilsener glass, this is more of a hop vegetable experience, to be kind. Which makes me wonder: do the next generation of beer seekers believe that this is what flavor is all about?
Then there is the price, At $12.80 a six pack (tax included) , I can think of many other offerings worth forking over that kind of dough. Strangely, 2XIPA caused an allergic reaction I did not know I had. It caused me to sneeze without any control.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

Lager light color, mediocre head but some thick lacing

Fresh grass clippings and skunk (yes the dank kind). For a DIPA i feel like it is lacking malt character

The hops surely dominate, and carry the flavor from beggining to end. Thats all well and good, but i was expecting more extreme maltiness in this beer, but the malts have a bit part at best

Mouth feel is thin and dry.

highly drinkable for the abv. not wat i was going for at the time but still

2.9/5  rDev -27.7%

Before I wrote this review - I double checked the other reviews to make sure I was rating the same beer. My review here is NOT so much about the performance of this beer as the perceptions of the other reviewers. I am convinced the others who rated this beer do NOT know what a Double IPA is OR perhaps they have not had a good/great one. I am willing to be ravaged here - if you slay me wrong.

After all, it was labeled as a 2X-IPA. Maybe it spoiled in the bottle BUT this beer falls CLEARLY into the Belgian Ale category. It's sour notes have no place in the IPA category - everything about it screams "Belgian Ale!". As I did take a Silver Medal in competition against 400+ others in the Belgian Ale style - I should be allowed a sharp opinion here.

I would give this beer a MUCH HIGHER rating if it were listed as a Belgian Ale. However, I purchased it because I am a hophead - preferring strong snorts of IPA's and 2xIPA's.

POUR/APPEARANCE: Clear gold.
AROMA: Sour musk.
HEAD: One finger fading.
FLAVOR: Sour malt and heavy malty aftertaste

Absolutely nothing wrong with this beer - if you are after a great Belgian Ale.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Review is taken from notes.

A - Great colour. Bright orange and hazy. Almost glows. Had great lacing and a foamy white head that dissipates quickly to a thin translucent film.

S - Pine and hop bitterness.

T - Good amount of bitterness in the taste that lasts throughout the drink. Hop flavours are pine and grapefruits, almost kind of syrupy tasting but good.

M - Very smooth.

D - Drinkability is great, I wouldn't get tired of this one.

Wish I had taken more thorough notes, but basically the 2xIPA was like an extra strong IPA. The hops seemed on par with a DIPA but the malts were lacking in comparison, which I enjoyed but might not be for everyone.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Light yellow-orange. I could care less about appearance, so unless it's really beautiful or really ugly, it will get the average of the other ratings. Who drinks a beer for appearance anyway?

S - Great hop smell. Fruit, pine, and a little spice.

T - Not as much fruit in the taste. Tastes much lighter than 8.2%. Good balance of hop flavor and bitterness. Not nearly as malty as Dogfish Head 60, which is probably why I like it more.

M - Very light for a DIPA, easy to drink.

O - Another phenomenal value in the IPA/DIPA category as I can get this for $9.99 a six pack. I first tried this together with Dogfish Head 60, Dogfish Head 90, and Southern Tier IPA. While it isn't as good as Dogfish Head 90, both of the Southern Teir IPAs were better than Dogfish Head 60 IMO.

4.59/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: I poured this golden straw yellow into my trusty Duvel tulip glass. It built a nice head that was half inch thick, dense, and white. It dissipated quickly but was brought back strong by a swirl of the glass.

Smell:Citrusy hops right up front; grapefruit zest and orange rind, with a bit of peach; there is a nice malt lingering in the background, with a slight toast to it.

Taste: Big hops; grapefruit and orange zest. This beer mirrors the bold smells, without any astringent flavors. The malt gives it some backbone, leaving you with a nice aftertaste of toasted malts and lingering fruitiness;specifically oranges.

Mouthfeel:Lower medium weight, with perfect carbonation. It was smooth and slightest bit creamy.

Drinkability:High for the style; this is one that would sneak up on you. VERY easy drinking, but comes in strong at 8.2%.

Notes: This is a very solid, great tasting, well executed beer. My biggest regret: I didn't start drinking this sooner.

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a light golden-orange. Totally clear, this DIPA looks more like a lager. White head that sticks around for a while, and leaves excellent lacing.

S: Like their regular IPA, this one does not seem to have a very pronounced aroma. I get sweet, honey-like malts mixed with some citrus and a touch of pine in the background.

T: This beer was bottled 70 days ago, and, unfortunately, it shows. The hops are faded (like in the aroma) and it has turned quite malty. It still is pleasantly bitter, but nothing over the top. It is just slightly dry and you can just barely taste the alcohol. The hoppiness is sweet citrus up front, and piney in the aftertaste.

M: Medium-light. Low carbonation. Would like this to be slightly thicker. Most IPA's have more body than this double.

I'm a bit disappointed with this one as I quite enjoyed their regular IPA. This is just more malty and alcoholic. I would definitely like to re-review this one with a fresh bottle as it does taste faded.

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottles recently arrived at my local LCBO.

Pours apricot-coloured, a little on the lighter side, with a head that quickly dissipates to a thin film. Active carbonation is evident.

On the nose the beer is fresh and full with floral hops, definite mango notes, grapefruit, and a bit of sweet breadiness. Very bright and just a bit "piney."

The taste is lightly malty sweet and clean right off the bat but then reveals its core elements of big, punchy, citrus and floral-dominated hoppy character. More orange here than on the nose. Herbal notes on the finish that come through more as the beer lingers.

Mouthfeel is crisp with carbonation through each sip but stays sticky and lingering long after - a bit too soapy for my taste.

As for drink-ability - it has a pretty pronounced ABV but the flavours and carbonation do well to hide it.

Overall, it's quite refreshing while still packing a wallop of well-rounded hop flavours. The aroma is particularly impressive.

3.32/5  rDev -17.2%

12 bottle with no date poured in to a pint glass.
A- Light orange liquid that poured with a 2 finger, medium bubbled head. Steady columns of carbonation. Head settled down to around 1/4 finger.

S- Citrus hops right when I popped the cap off. Some floral notes. Light malt notes when it warmed.

T- Very muddled and messy when first opened probably due to the temperature. Citrusy hops and light floral hops followed by toasted malts then hops. Acidic, spicy, bitter. After it warmed up a bit the flavor profile became more balanced, but I was surprised at the amount of malt flavor for a double IPA.

M- Light, smooth. Maybe a faint stickiness, but really not oily or sticky at all. Very hot at first, but that faded after awhile although the alcohol was still present.

D- It grew on me through the course of a glass, but I don't think I would drink it again. On the weaker side and a surprising amount of malt for a double IPA. I tried Captain Lawrence's Captain's Reserve IPA recently for the first time and the 2xIPA doesn't even hold a candle to the Captain's Reserve which I think is a much better example of a double IPA. A good beer, but not a great double IPA.

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A = Beautiful clear gold color. Great head. Good lacing. Starting off promising.

S = Awesome flowery hop bouquet. Smells like I took some freshly picked hops from the garden and crushed them between my fingers. Even more promising.

T = Prevailing hops taste. Exactly what I was hoping for in a 2x IPA.

M = Crisp and clean. Slightly oily in a good way.

O = I like this beer a lot. Went down great with some steaks on the grill. Will come back to this one again and again.

3.96/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into my favorite tulip glass. Not sure on the freshness of this one.

A: Bright golden orange. Very clear with a small cream-colored head that fizzles down to pretty much nothing. Spotty lacing.

S: Not much aroma here - I fear this may have been on the shelf for quite a while. What I do pick up is an astringent citrusy, floral, borderline medicinal resinous hop character with a metallic hint and a sting from the alcohol at the end. Underneath it all lies some real promise from a fresher sample - maybe some juicy mango and pineapple with some grapefruit and resin.

T: Tangy citrus hops with a sort of medicinal, tea-like quality, most likely due to an old batch. There's also a noticeable pepper/heat component from the alcohol. It's certainly got a lot of hops and a hefty malt backbone - sweet and full-bodied, with a dry bittersweet finish to battle with the crazy amount of hops in this thing. I'm sure this would be an outstanding DIPA if it were a little bit fresher, but right now it's only a shadow of what it could be. Even so, it's pretty tasty.

M: Very full bodied with sparkling carbonation. Chewy, oily, and slick. Dry finish with a subtle lingering sweetness. Very nice.

O: I hate to score this low as I'm pretty sure the 6-pack I picked up is pretty old, but I kept my optimism for a much higher-quality fresh product in mind during the review. Unfortunately I couldn't find a batch number or freshness date on any of the packaging for the life of me, so when I made the purchase I hoped it would be fresh. Alas, I'm simply basing this review on what is in the glass, so hopefully I'll find a fresher sample to try in the future and amend the score to more accurately reflect the quality A+ worthy brew I'm sure Southern Tier 2XIPA is in reality.

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured a hazy golden color. Small white head. Light bodied, unusual for a double IPA, not as much hop character as a double IPA. Citrus, light pine. You would never guess this to be almost 8.5 percent. This is a very drinkable beer. Not your typical DOUBLE IPA but still very good.

3.93/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Light Amber pour with small head. A smell of hops with hints of citrus follows. A bitter hoppiness for taste, but subtle for a double IPA. For a double IPA it's rather light and drinkable, but still filling.

3.89/5  rDev -3%

Appearance: warm golden sun color with a small white head and tiny intermittent bubbles bubbling to the surface. The head dissipates pretty soon.

Nose: A pleasant light piny hop aroma. As the head settles more of the caramel character shines through.

Taste: A light sweetness hits the front of the tongue and a subtle bitterness reaches the side of the tongue as it finishes. Light flavors all around. No one character really stands out. A very inoffensive IPA. Not for one looking for the bold flavors typically associated with a double or imperial IPA.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth mouthfeel with tiny bubbles hitting your tongue. The bubbles disappear soon and are replaced by the acidity of the hops.

Overall it was a decent IPA that I will probably enjoy every now and again but it's nothing too special to draw me in every time.

3.53/5  rDev -12%

Thanks to Alan (Crabbicus) for this 12oz bottle. Poured into a pint glass and served at 50 degrees F. I have had this on-tap a few times and found it better in that form, but that is true for me on all beers.

A- Off a moderate pour, there is a finger width of off whitish head that dissipates rather quickly into a lacing head. It is a golden color with a few carbonation bubbles that spring up after an initial plethora of bubbles. Plenty of lacing left on the glass after each sip.

S- Lots of citrus hops. Probably orange but possibly tangerine with a sweet malt backbone. I prefer the smell to the overall taste.

T- Sweet. Lots of sweetness with a good hop crisp to it. The sweetness overwhelms the hop profile to me. I was expecting after the smell for it to be sweet, but the sweetness overpowers all other flavors.

M- Pleasant light to medium body with average carbonation. Would have been better with more carbonation. Leaves a linger on the palate that is sweeter than a normal DIPA.

D- I have come to expect Southern Tier beers to be sweet and I appreciate it in most of their beers. This one was just not one I wanted it to be. Overall, I will gladly accept a 2XIPA, just won't seek one out.

4.09/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours with almost no head. Flavor is nothing like I have ever had before. To be honest, I was not that wild about it. But I am glad I at least tried it.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

A - A surprisingly clear, straw colored golden blonde. In a fantastic effect, the carbonation takes its time to coalesce up through the body and into a head. The head itself, though, is sudsy. It barely makes it up to a finger’s height before collapsing to a soapy sheet.

S - Pungent citrus and herbal hops dominate. A fresh grassy scent carries strong notes of basil and sage over a body of grapefruit and lemon zest. Orange and a touch of pineapple also come through. On the fruity side of hoppy.

T - Sour, bitter, pungent, nearly medicinal, but thoroughly enjoyable. Tangy resin and acidic hopping hit first. The body is a juicy mix of those odd fruit flavors, mango, pineapple, a bit of bitter grapefruit. Aside from some citrus notes, I never expect fruit to be so predominant in an IPA. Develops into a grassier taste, some pine. Finishes with the medicinal note I mentioned, a bittersweet tang.

M - On the thinner side, with mid to high carbonation. Supports the flavor well, though.

Overall - The pour alone clues you in that this one will be different than the average imperial IPA. And it is. Such fresh fruity flavors are rarely found in any IPA. I feel like this could be made into a chewing gum. The hops are present, but serving a very different purpose - we have shades of the average IPA, a bit of pine, a bit of a floral here and there in the herbal taste, plenty of bitter background. But overall, this is just a surprisingly fruity beer. A delicious one, to be sure. However, it’s a simple beer. I find that once I get over the surprise of the tropical citrus flavor, there’s really not a lot else to it. The beer is the same from start to finish. Fun, drinkable, tasty, but not a lot to pay attention to. I bet it makes a killer six pack, though.

4.64/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a bottle this Double IPA pours clear orange with a small head. Dissipates and keeps light lacing.

The smell is amazing beautiful Hop presence with a smoothing light citrus smell.

With the first taste you get a carbonated hop rush with a citrus. Your Pilate is left with a aftershock of Hops but yet it is extremely smooth and easy to consume.

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Served out of bottle and into a pint glass.
Appearance-amber color, two finger head not overly carbonated.
Smell-notes of grapefruit, malt, and pine coming through.
Taste-notes of grapefruit followed by pine and then feels like grapefruit again all along having a malt taste in there as well, incredibly balanced but with all the ingreidents of a great double ipa.
Mouthefeel-fantastic.
Overall-This is a great beer. It has a wide appeal. This is an everyday beer for me, affordable, tastes great and you can drink more a few of them without feeling like your tastebuds are ruined.

Served in a tulip glass

A- Clear bright straw color, 2 fingers of head, moderate lacing.

S- Floral hops with a mild sweetness.

T- Mildly bitter, citrus, and a slight bready sweetness.

M- Medium carbonation, medium body.

D- Really liked this beer, another great reccomendation from Hogans in Bangor.

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This has became one of few beers that I buy fairly regularly on a year-round basis for quite some time now. This is a great balance between citrusy hops and sweet malts that many IPAs simply fail to achieve. It goes down smooth and it also compliments most food very nicely, including almost any spicy food.

It's a bit sweeter than their IPA, and while I do find their IPA to be very good, their DIPA is so much better.

2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing Company