2XSTOUT | Southern Tier Brewing Company

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

3.49/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed 2/20/13

Appearance: Dark, dark brown - clarity around the edges - tiny, borderline nonexistent head - manages to leave some spots of lacing, though

Smell: Roasty sugar - caramel, sugar, and lactose sugar - roasty coffee (with cream) - dark chocolate and milk chocolate - typical Southern Tier level of sweetness, but it seems to work here - some lightly burnt, chocolate malts

Taste: Somewhat like a milky mocha - roasty coffee, with some light roasty bitterness - sweet, with caramel, sugar, and lactose sugar - somewhat creamy (the lactose) - some dark chocolate, but mostly milk chocolate - some dark fruit as well

Mouthfeel: Medium body, minimal carbonation, smooth, sweet finish

Overall: Very good, could use a better name

This is a good milk stout. Nothing about it screams "2X" in any way, but I guess I felt the same way about Southern Tier 2XIPA. It's sweet, which should be expected, and the 12oz format works for this reason. Worth a try.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

3.12/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Not too shabby. decent head, but not enough to send me into orbit. Great color. Makes me think of easter morning, but someone melted my chocolate bunny and put it in a tulip glass.

S: Meh...expected a bit more. Almost smells unfinished or just weak. I don't claim to know much about much, but I have drank my fair share of stouts...weak scent.

T: Average. Terrapin makes a way better product here. I was really excited to try this...even left a bottle of Chimay Blue chilling, but just didn't do it for me. Just not thick enough to justify the title.

M: Again average in every sense.

O: Try it if you like, but you've been warned.

Despite already having a 6 pack of stout in the fridge at home, I had to pick a 6 of Southern Tier's 2x Stout up, as it was a brew from Southern Tier I had not had yet. Those who have had any of Southern Tier's brews will know exactly what I am talking about, as I have never had anything bad from them.

This stout is pitch black, and you can tell it's on the thicker side just from looking at it. There is fairly little head.

It smells fairly chocolaty.

It tastes like chocolate, milk, caramel, and malt. A higher alcohol is clearly noticeable as well. It hits your mouth sweet, but leaves bitter, and the overall flavor profile is pretty much inline with traditional stouts. It is fairly sweet, but not overly sweet like many milk stouts. I think it works as well with cheeses as it does with deserts.

This is a rather thick and strong stout, but it does not have as much head as I would like.

Despite not having as much head as I would like, this is a pretty solid milk stout.

2XSTOUT from Southern Tier Brewing Company