Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

2XSTOUT | Southern Tier Brewing Company

2.52/5  rDev -33.9%

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

First had: on tap at Teresa's, Wayne, PA

I find Southern Tier beers to be very hit or miss, and this one is definitely a miss. Poured a dark mostly-black color with a thin, wispy off-white head that dissipated almost completely; no real lacing to speak of. Not much on the aroma, some roasty malts, touch of cocoa. Taste was really very bland and one-dimensional, with simple dark roasted malts, and distant notes of cocoa and mild hops; tannin astringency abounds; dry finish with no flavor lingering. Thin and watery, light-bodied for the style, and really nothing here that would inspire me to order the beer again.

2.57/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This was far too sweet for me, but pretty typical of the style. Not a big fan of Milk Stouts. This one was had too thin of a mouthfeel and the aroma was almost non existent.

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%

Poured from bottle into nonic pint

A - Coffee black, 2 finger dark khaki head receded quickly leaving thin layer of tiny bubbles on top.

S - Woof. Sour. I know it's a milk stout, but too much lactose sourness for me. Hints of coffee and chocolate behind that forward sourness.

T - Still a bit sour, but not as intense as the aroma. Malty with a bit of cocoa, and WHAM, hit in the teeth with a lead pipe. Metallic finish is bold. Not sure what's going on here.

M - Nice full bodied beer, really smooth, but metal finish ruins all mouth experiences for me. Rated a 4 to not let taste take away from body.

O - I won't buy this one again. I head good things, so maybe this was a bad bottle? If I run into it at a bar I may ask for a swig to give it another chance, and if someone has a free one for me I'd give it an honest mulligan but boy was this glass bad.

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.61/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Re-review. 12 oz bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is a finger high and tan in shade. Steady to fade away, its retention isn't the best. Tiny bits of lacing stick to the glass. (3.5)

Smell: Somewhat indistinct. While I pick up some lactose notes, they're pretty light - as are the chocolate and roast notes. There are some additional fruit esters that add a little bit to it, if nothing else. This one isn't swaying me one way or the other. (3)

Taste: This one tastes odd, kind of like how I remembered. It starts off with some lactose sweetness, before transitioning into an underwhelming mixture of piny hops, caramel, and generic charred bitterness. No chocolate, no coffee, no roasted bread, just a whole bunch of char. And as it warms up, the generic char becomes worse. This is one of the few stouts that (to me) tastes like it has too much crystal malt. As we know, my opinion of crystal malt is that I don't like it too much in an IPA or pale ale, but in a stout/porter/brown ale, I'm perfectly fine with it. Here, though, it's annoying. And frankly, ruins the beer. (2.25)

Mouthfeel: The feel manages to be both sweet AND thin - by the way, that's not a good combo. A touch of astringency and a slightly larger touch of bitterness helps it go down somewhat easily, if nothing else. Carbonation is moderate to slightly low. (2.75)

Overall: I still don't like this one very much. It simply has too much burnished caramel and not enough roast. All in all, a rare blemish on Southern Tier's otherwise rock-solid regular lineup. (2.5)

2.61/5: 2x crystal malt isn't a good thing

2.63/5  rDev -31%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Nice very dark, with minimal head. Looks good.
Not much aroma other than chocolate milk. Very milky aroma.
Taste is a very bland chocolate milk, heavy on the milk. It seems like mild muddle of milk and chocolate. It brings back (very bad) memories of afternoon milk snack in elementary school in the late 50's. (Qualifier: I don't like or drink milk unless it has cereal in it.) This beer isn't bad, but it comes close enough for me. I'll pass.

2.65/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.68/5  rDev -29.7%

A- black and opaque with a small tan head that stays around.

S- Sweet milk chocolate, coffee and a touch of earth. There's also a but of resins hop aroma that doesn't fit.

T/M- very smooth and creamy but the favors don't work. Moderately roasty flavors on the front end lead to a middle which is a confused mess of extreme sweetness and moderately strong bitterness, with the bitterness winning out and lasting long after the finish.

O/D- this is the type of beer where one aspect ruins all the positives. The hop bitterness of this is not only out of style but it's off putting and clashes with the sweet, chocolate and toast characteristics. Not something Id get again.

2.68/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased at Wegmans in Henrietta, poured from a 12 oz bottle into a DFH snifter

A-the best of the categories for this total miss from a really good Western NY Brewery

S-off, just off

T-again, don't know if my taster was off, but this is a mess

M-again yuck

O-total bad, maybe it was me, but complete abberration

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

A-Pours quite dark but not very thick in body. Moderate light penetration. Head is smaller and bubbly but is quite light in color. Small head retains well and does a pretty good job painting the glass with lace.

S-Interesting aroma. Not very heavy but it brings for aromas of lactose and some smokiness. Sweeter chocolate and subtle coffee. Light hops. Definitely milky.

T-Flavor has a strange, lingering, coppery-metallic twang that almost takes over the entire flavor. Made me wince a bit. Sweetness and lactose behind the off-putting metallic flavor. Really not digging the flavor here. Tastes like its been sitting in a can for 2 years. Maybe its the lactose? Who knows.

M-Medium body. Moderate carbonation. Lighter than expected.

O/D- God, the metallic taste won't leave. My palate refuses to adjust to it. Really surprised to dislike this beer as much as I do. I love their 2X IPA, but this 2X bothers me. Makes me glad to have only purchased a single. I rarely, rarely drain-pour, but this one is close.

2.74/5  rDev -28.1%

Aroma-Boozy jusy plain. Lighy head that disappears in minutes. Heavy and lacking flavor. Creamy and just overall a boozy plain beer. Not a fan

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours dark black with brown hues; head doesn't really stick around and there's not too much lacing and retention to speak of. The aromas are kind of fain and subtle. There are hints of milk chocolate and malts, but once again it's not pungent. I'm actually even less impressed with the flavors. Something is off. This one leaves a very bitter and unpleasant after taste. Metallic notes? I was expecting this one to be sweeter, but it's not. There's a nice roastiness and a touch of smoke. There's just something off with the flavors, and I can't put my finger on it. Mouthfeel is alright, light-medium bodied, lots of carbonation. Not the tastiest stout I've ever had.

Overall, the flavors didn't do it for me. I guess I expected a little more from Southern Tier. I'll pass on this one in the future.

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A very meh stout. Exactly what you'd expect if handed a bottle and told "this is the most generic stout available."

2XSTOUT from Southern Tier Brewing Company