2XSTOUT | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by Morey on 12-18-2011

Ratings: 2,251 |  Reviews: 431
3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a dark dark brown, almost black color with a medium-sized, short-lived, khaki head and recedes to leave some minimal lacing.

Aromas begin with a prominant roasted maltiness with a some milk chocolate, drier baker's cocoa. As it warms I get some sweet sugar notes with light caramel and black licorice.

The tastes follow the nose with dark roasted coffee bitterness with some sweeter tastes of bittersweet chocolate and caramelized sugar. There are some sweet elements but definitely not over-the-top or even enough for the style in my opinion. The firm roasted maltiness curbs the initial sweetness almost to a fault. Maybe this style isn't supposed to be "boosted" up to this ABV because the creaminess is almost lost completely in the flavor.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is slightly smooth and creamy but also a little roasty and dry; could use to be a bit creamier for the style.

Overall this was a miss for me. It just comes across as an American Stout and lacks the Milk/Sweet stouts elements that I look for in that style. Is it good, yes. Does it stand out from any other generic American Stout, no. A milk stout is a nuanced style which needs more sweetness and creaminess; the concept of a 2x Milk Sout is self-deprecating.

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

Deep black color with a thin head with low retention.
Aroma of chocolate and roasted coffee beans
Flavor of earthy hops, very spiced yeast, caramels, milk, bitter chocolate, licorice and finishing with ashy coffee. The lactose is just giving a nice touch and not making it overly sweet. Dry with a long lasting bitterness.
Medium body with decent carbonation. Alcohol of 7.5% abv is well hidden.
Very earthy and spiced Stout. A Milk Stout with character without being too sweet. I liked it.

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

A-Black with a one tan finger head

S-Coffee, roasted malt

T-Coffee, roasted malt, overly sweet and sugary. As it there is a boat load of lactose that never fermented just sugaring up the beer.

M-Medium bodied and creamy.

O-The sweetness needs to be toned down a little bit. ST usually hits the mark with their stouts but this one seems to have way too much sugar.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's 2X Stout a couple days ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I have had their 2X IPA before and I thought it was good so being the Stout lover that I am I thought I should try their 2X Stout, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good and it has some nice dark colors to reflect the color of this beer, and I like the information provided on the label. It poured a straight up black color that didn't let any light come through and it had had three fingers worth of mocha colored head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice spotty lacing. This is a damn good looking Milk Stout, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a large amount of dark roasted malts that have a medium amount of roast to them and impart some nice chocolate and coffee aromas with some nice roasted aromas and the chocolate sticking out the most to give this beer a cold mocha coffee like aroma. Next up is some sweet lactose that gives this beer a high amount of medium sweetness and imparts a creamy and milk like aroma followed by a slight grainy and caramel aroma. This beer has a good aroma that is true to style, I like it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a large amount dark roasted malts that have a pretty high amount of roast and impart some nice roasted flavors along with some coffee and chocolate with the coffee sticking out the most and the chocolate taking on a cocoa powder like flavors that showed up towards the end. Next I picked up some lactose sugars that give this beer a high amount of medium sweetness and imparts a light cream flavor. On the finish I get a really slight alcohol flavor with a higher amount of medium bitterness that has a charred malt like bitterness to it and it had a roasty and coffee like aftertaste with a little bit of cream. This beer tasted good and it was true to style, I don't really have any complaints.

M- Smooth, creamy, velvet like, dry, on the thick side of being medium bodied and it had a nice medium amount of carbonation. There's nothing off when it comes to the mouthfeel of this beer, I like it.

Overall I thought that this was a good beer and I thought that it was a good example that was pretty true to style, it highlighted the roasted malts and the sweet lactose just like a good example of this style should and it was easy to drink without being too filling. This beer had good drinkability, it went down pretty smooth and the flavors kept me interested, I could drink a couple of these but after that I think the sweetness would wear on me. What I liked most about this beer was how true to style it was, it was everything that I expect from the style and it looked damn good in my pint glass. What I liked least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't anything that I felt was out of place with this beer. I would buy this beer again, it was priced right and was just what I want in a Milk Stout, I will be buying this again when in the mood for the style and I highly recommend giving this beer a try if Milk Stouts are your thing. This turned out to be a good and really solid Milk Stout, I don't think of this as a double Milk Stout, to me it's just a good example of the style and not a double version of this style. I didn't like their Porter too much, but these 2X beers have impressed me, I am sad to see there are no more beers in this series, it would be nice to see a 2X Red Ale or a 2x Pilsener. Good job Southern Tier, I will be on the look out for more of your beers and I would love to try the barrel aged version of this beer one day.

3.87/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a jet black with a thin layer of tan foam. Nice lacing.

Lots of creamy lactose with roasted malt and chocolate notes.

Dark chocolate, roasted malt, some cream and coffee. A stronger alcohol presence through the middle and end. A bit astringent.

A nearly full and creamy mouthfeel. Slick.

A decent big milk stout, but the alcohol does not hide very well in it.

2.61/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Re-review. 12 oz bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is a finger high and tan in shade. Steady to fade away, its retention isn't the best. Tiny bits of lacing stick to the glass. (3.5)

Smell: Somewhat indistinct. While I pick up some lactose notes, they're pretty light - as are the chocolate and roast notes. There are some additional fruit esters that add a little bit to it, if nothing else. This one isn't swaying me one way or the other. (3)

Taste: This one tastes odd, kind of like how I remembered. It starts off with some lactose sweetness, before transitioning into an underwhelming mixture of piny hops, caramel, and generic charred bitterness. No chocolate, no coffee, no roasted bread, just a whole bunch of char. And as it warms up, the generic char becomes worse. This is one of the few stouts that (to me) tastes like it has too much crystal malt. As we know, my opinion of crystal malt is that I don't like it too much in an IPA or pale ale, but in a stout/porter/brown ale, I'm perfectly fine with it. Here, though, it's annoying. And frankly, ruins the beer. (2.25)

Mouthfeel: The feel manages to be both sweet AND thin - by the way, that's not a good combo. A touch of astringency and a slightly larger touch of bitterness helps it go down somewhat easily, if nothing else. Carbonation is moderate to slightly low. (2.75)

Overall: I still don't like this one very much. It simply has too much burnished caramel and not enough roast. All in all, a rare blemish on Southern Tier's otherwise rock-solid regular lineup. (2.5)

2.61/5: 2x crystal malt isn't a good thing

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Bottled on 02/08/12.

Appearance: Pours a dark black with a little brownish red at the bottom. Lots of bubbles and a solid three fingers of creamy light tan head with good retention. Lots of lace on the glass.

Smell: Sweet dark roasted malts with big hints of chocolate and lactose. Also some hints of oatmeal, milk, coffee, and caramel. Light presence of earthy hops in the background along with a light hint of dark fruit. A pretty sweet and chocolate forward aroma.

Taste: Starts out with a big sweet taste of the roasted malts with a good amount of chocolate, oats, and lactose with a hint of coffee and milk. Midway comes a surprisingly strong presence of hops for a sweet stout. Hops are a mix of citrus and earthy hops. Pretty well balanced even though chocolate is the most noticeable taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Very creamy. Somewhat syrupy but very slick. Starts sweet and has a fairly drying finish.

Overall: A pretty solid stout. Nice hop presence for a milk/sweet stout.

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

Some chocolate in the malt and maybe to much coffee. Not what I would consider creamy but I wouldn't consider it thin either. Overall a nice little stout that was enjoyable but nothing special that I would seek out.

3.31/5  rDev -12.7%

Southern 2X Stout, on cask at Pony Bar, Hell's Kitchen, NYC.

Appearance: Served in a 14-oz glass, this is a nice-looking brew, with a big foamy head and seriously dark looks. Great temperature- warm as it should be. Low carbonation and some lacing.

Smell: Mild roastiness, chocolate powder. Bitter in the nose but not in the mouth. Dark sugar, cheap cocoa.

Taste: Follows nose without the hop/bitter profile. Cheap coffee, alright roastiness. Dairy, barnyard funk. Dirty puddles. I'm not a fan of the hemical/artificial chocolate taste, like they just dumped Nestle powder in the keg.

Mouthfeel: Good for the style, but not stellar. Low carbonation, medium body and flavor. Could use more body and flavor and robustness.

Overall: Very drinkable, so the score goes up. Nothing spectacular but fine. Like it better in a bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer is a dark brown that, while very dark, does allow some light to peek through. The brown head that forms sits steady at about a finger in height and shows good retention. A couple rings of lacing are left in my snifter before going spotty but remaining consistent.
The nose offers mostly roasty malts and dark chocolate with just a hint of tangy sweet dark fruits and a ghost of pine from hops. It's a bit understated, but displays a heavy malts profile with good balance.
The flavor showcases the same, with the sweetness of the lactose sugars coming out more strongly and setting itself in harmony with the dry roastiness of the dark malts and the bittersweet chocolate notes. The balance really works well, as a nudge in either direction would make it too sweet or too dry. As it is, it mingles very well together. The slight tang of something like prune remains, though subtle, and hops presence is low but enough to further add to the balance and depth.
The body is on the heftier side of medium, perhaps verging into heavier, with a carbonation that is appropriately light while making for a bit of creaminess. There's a good smoothness to this beer as well.

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle pours a near-black color with a modest tan head..nice lace.

Nose is dark chocolate and licorice. Maybe some herbal/grassy hops.

Taste is lots of dark Godiva chocolate with a hint of roast and more hops than meets the eye. I would lean more American Stout than Milk Stout if I guessed blind, but it definitely has some sweetness going on...nothing like the Blackwater series though. This is a very good beer, I like it quite a bit. Southern Tier certainly knows how to do a stout. I'll be buying more of this in the future.

4.11/5  rDev +8.4%

Comes out of the bottle dark-chocolate brown with a fairly thick and rather persistent frothy, fine-bubbled wheaten head that leaves fairly thick lacing. Aroma has a core of roast, slightly burnt malt with notes of molasses, licorice and coffee. Lip-smacking flavor has notes of roast malt, mocha and molasses, with nutty and earthy hints. Smooth, firm texture has a decent amount of fizz and leaves a nice smoky, slightly sweet finish.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

Found this on tap at My Place in Newtown, CT. It's a solid black stout with a modest tan head that breaks quickly into a ring and fair horizontal lacing. The aroma is a pleasant malt coffee bean bite with some nutty nuances. Not very strong but very solid. The flavor is a no nonsense green malt and bitter coffee with a sweet pear/vegetable hint. Really nice, in a medium-plus bodied brew with very little evidence of carbonation and a silky feel. A classic milk stout that goes down easily! Yet another triumph from Southern Tier.

2XSTOUT from Southern Tier Brewing Company