2XMAS | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Brewed in the tradition of Swedish Glogg. Ale brewed with Figs, Orange peels, and spices. 2 varieties of hops and 4 types of malts.

Added by CloudStrife on 10-29-2012

Ratings: 1,530 |  Reviews: 287

2.78/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

My last 2014 Christmas beer, (unless I pick up one more Krampus, I saw my local still has). Clear thin amber color, with light colored head. Smells is strong nutmeg, and spice. I pick up some cinnamon as well. Taste kind of,...well actually, just like potpourii. Mouthfeel is thin light and just slightly bitter, but definitely not really sweet. Overall, it's OK. I think I would have rated this a bit higher before Christmas, but now after the holidays, somethings wore off. With that said I will look forward to another six pack next Christmas, but I will drink all of it before the holiday is over. Guess some things aren't better if you wait.

2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

I had a bottle of this last night, and I'm trying to do a better job of reviewing beer, so here are my notes from last night:

A - dark brown, more of a deep chocolate mocha, not much lacing on the glass from the off-white small amount of head this beer produced upon pouring.

S - lots of spice, but to be expected from the type of style it is. I got cinnamon and nutmeg mainly, with a little allspice and clove, this made me think this beer was more of an autumn/pumpkin seasonal than winter seasonal.

T - all the spices listed above were present, and on the finish there is a distinct sweetness that lingers of which I'm not a huge fan. It also had the toffee note of a dark brown ale.

M - just enough body to let you know you're drinking a winter seasonal, but nothing more nothing less. It was not watery or thin or anything of that nature.

O - I enjoyed the beer, it is just not high on my list of beers to have if I have the choice. I was glad to try it, and I'm glad I only bought one, because with the sweetness, more than 12oz would have been too much for me. Just not my kind of beer.

2.81/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Drain pour
Just nasty.
Blech.

2.87/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.96/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance
Deep garnet with a 1/2 finger of head that dissipates immediately. Good clarity and very low carbonation.

Nose
Ginger, cinnamon, candy sugar, orange zest and biscuit.

Taste
Very spice forward with ginger root and cinnamon. Honey, caramel and biscuit. Some fig, black licorice and orange zest.

Mouthfeel
Medium-full bodied, crisp and spicy.

Overall
I was really hoping for more fig. Really over-spiced and somewhat cloying, but the alcohol is well hidden.

2XMAS from Southern Tier Brewing Company