Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

2XMAS | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Brewed in the tradition of Swedish Glogg. Ale brewed with Figs, Orange peels, and spices. 2 varieties of hops and 4 types of malts.

Added by CloudStrife on 10-29-2012

Ratings: 1,519 |  Reviews: 284
1.91/5  rDev -48.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

It has the look of a good beer a deep copper, slightly reddish color, and somewhere in there I taste some west coast hop flavor, I think. One whiff and I had little interest in even drinking one of these, smells like the whole spice cabinet fell in. The taste is nearly as bad, just a whole bunch of spices, I'd prefer a bit more barley and hops.

Appearance: A reddish-brown with an average head.
Aroma: Def. oranges (almost smells like an A.C. casino circa 1995 that would use an orange deodorizer on carpets), and cloves stand out.
Taste: Kind of disappointing for the style. Lacks any real balance, just a face full of spices like cloves and cinnamon. Has a slight hop in the middle and a bit peppery. The alcohol is well hidden, but again, just too much in the clove department.

Overall: Their are much better choices for this style. Cheers!

Overly spiced to the point that its not enjoyable

Wow. That is unlike an any beer I've ever had. I appreciate it but not my favorite at all. The smell was pure pickled ginger, like the one you get when you get sushi. The overall taste was like a cleaning agent with lemon and ginger. I know that sounds weird but that's this beer in a nutshell. I usually love ST but this was not for me. First ever drain pour

Ginger and medicinal, not what I was looking for.

2.12/5  rDev -42.5%

VERY spice forward, with an aggressive, almost astringent spices. Especially cloves. Huge cloves. And Cinnamon. There's allspice there, too. Not liking this. Not getting much else beyond the medicinal spices. Ugh. I'm not sure I can finish this. Not recommended.

** 2016: Tried it again on tap and this year's offering is much improved. Spices are a good deal more mellow and a softer, creamier feel and a more substantial, but not-cloying, sweet malt backbone. Still not a fan, but drinkable and enjoyed it for what it was.

*** 2016: Oh. No. No, no, no! This was bloody awful in the bottle. So, now, what's going on here? Is this better on tap or is there something wrong with the bottling? Dunno. Is there inconsistency? Am I crazy? Eh. I've wasted too many taste buds trying to narrow it down. Don't think I'll open this pandora's box ever again.

2.2/5  rDev -40.4%

Way too heavy on the ginger. Taste similar to a very bitter shaving cream.

2.2/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Way to much spice; I usually love this style but not this one; taste a lot like a pumpkin ale, which I do not like.

2XMAS from Southern Tier Brewing Company