IPA (India Pale Ale) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

IPA (India Pale Ale)IPA (India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company

1.5/5  rDev -61.4%

1.75/5  rDev -55%

1.75/5  rDev -55%

2.38/5  rDev -38.8%

I was impressed with the packaging on this brand and intigued by a brand called Southern Tier that is from New York. I was also intrigued at the styles available as the lineup struck me as "cool". I'll be reviewing these as I go through them, I was given a mix of the styles recently.

Everyone makes IPA these days, so I figured I'd start with this one in my mix. Pours nicely, with rich color and good cascade & head, but has a sharp, almost obtrusive bite to it and a finish I did not need to linger around. There wasn't much going on with this beer that sets it apart from other IPA's. Some choose to crank up the hops, while others make a smoother, more delicate IPA; unfortunately this IPA came off rather bland.

The hops were too sharp like I said, the smell was in the way it seemed and the finish was nondescript and lingered too long. The mouthfeel was decent but I can't see myself buying this one in quantity.

2.4/5  rDev -38.3%

2.49/5  rDev -36%

A: Golden-orange pour with modest head and very little lacing
S: Sweet and alcoholic
T: Strong alcohol taste even though I have had beers with much higher ABV mask it better. Citrus, pine and an off-flavor, lingering metallic taste that doesn't quit.
M: Moderate carbonation
O: I enjoy many of Southern Tier's beers and I am a huge fan of IPAs, but this one is a total bust for me. They should reformulate this one and give it another try because this one isn't cuttin' it.

IPA (India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company