IPA (India Pale Ale) | Southern Tier Brewing Company

IPA (India Pale Ale)IPA (India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States

Style: American IPA

Added by John on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 953 | Ratings: 2,552
4.44/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another day at The CANQuest (tm) as I CANtinue to winnow through the backlog. As a self-described, self-avowed hophead, AIPAs are my favorite style, closely followed by DIPAs and when I CAN get several in during a sitting, so much the better! I have known these guys since their inception & I love that they have made the leap to CANs. I am looking forward to this one.

From the CAN: "Why The hell Not?"

I know why the ale not! Sometimes, a gentle Glug will result in greater clarity than when I employ an inverted Glug, both following the Crack! Doing so in this case worked out about as well as could be hoped for. I ended up with a finger of dense, foamy, tawny head with great retention as a cap above the beer itself. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity & loads of tiny CO2 bubbles in evidence. A poor man's lava lamp, to be sure. Nose smelled strongly of grapefruit, but underlain with pine needles. Mmmm. Mouthfeel was medium to full, not quite creamy, but really big for the style. The taste ran the gamut from pine & citrus to an anise-like flavor to a light biscuity breadiness. I like when an AIPA runs towards unbalanced, although I know that not everyone agrees. This flirted with those margins, but it never really fell into that trap, if that is how you think of it. It bothers me when malts get in the way of the hops as in those Cascadian/Black IPAs, but here, the malts were CANplimentary to the hops and allowed them to shine while still remaining noticeable. Finish was dry, as it should be. It was interesting that I felt that pine was prevalent in the mouth & on the tongue, but grapefruit/citrus was what lingered on and after the swallow. Definitely worthy of cooler space CANsideration!

2.49/5  rDev -36%

A: Golden-orange pour with modest head and very little lacing
S: Sweet and alcoholic
T: Strong alcohol taste even though I have had beers with much higher ABV mask it better. Citrus, pine and an off-flavor, lingering metallic taste that doesn't quit.
M: Moderate carbonation
O: I enjoy many of Southern Tier's beers and I am a huge fan of IPAs, but this one is a total bust for me. They should reformulate this one and give it another try because this one isn't cuttin' it.

Interesting beer. Would like to try it fresh. Neighbor in my distributorship with Stone. From an area of the country, I never knew existed till my son's college baseball season - who knew part of New York was Southern Tier. Hints of goodness overshadowed by dustiness, age. Too bad not all breweries prominently display bottled by date. I end up sticking with the higher volume, faster moving beers, just for freshness.

3.67/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Back in the day before trubby juice ipas, this was one of the better east of the Mississippi ipas out there. Good clarity, dark gold, a white head that is compromised eventually by the hop oils. Aroma seemed like C hops and Simcoe.

Taste ample bitterness, but a dry malt toasted pale honey feel. Does have an earthen mouthfeel aspect that owes something to across the pond. Drinkable.

3.94/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Speiglau IPA glass.

Look is a light golden with amber highlights and a big frothy head.

Aroma is herbal bitter. Not much else.

Taste is herbal bitter balanced with sweet malt.

Not a bad IPA good to see in cans.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

a: Translucent dark gold with a finger thick white head which receded to thick surface foam and fairly s\dense lacing.

s: Mild grapefruit

t; Follows the nose with moderate bitterness. Dry finish. Medium ABV well-concealed.

m: Medium, good body and carbonation tingle.

o: One of the better IPAs out there, although the emphasis on grapefruit flavor does get a tad unpleasantly bitter eventually for all but the most devoted hopheads.

4.01/5  rDev +3.1%

A mild, pleasant bitterness from this IPA, not as strong as others I’ve tasted. Slightly hazy golden color with mild carbonation, and a thin skin of a head. For me IPAs are tricky, as sometimes the bitterness is overwhelming, but this one was just about right.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Being local and one of my first IPA's this one is the bar to which I measure all other IPA's. It's above average without a doubt, but after many years of drinking this it just doesn't seem to measure up to all the other finely crafted IPA's flooding the market.

On tap at The Club On Silver Lake,
Pours a very good head, 1/2" - 3/4" that retains itself well, lots of lacing. Smells of hops, not overwhelmingly. Tastes rather plain, mostly bitter.

Poured from a bottle, the hops are close to simcoe and chinook, but very clean smelling/tasting.

3.77/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sharp, clear, golden body; thick, sticky, white head. Fruity, floral hop aroma; grain sweetness. Bread-like grain flavor with a somewhat metallic hop bitterness; watermelon. Medium-heavy body; smooth; sweet overall but with a dry finish.

A very respectable IPA that does a decent job of balancing cereal grain flavors with a wide range of hop aromas and tastes.

4.31/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a single 12oz bottle with no dating, poured into a tall rounded off glass with a thinned out base. Good smell out the bottle, nice laid back colorful hop profile kind of like a Dogfish but a little less malty. Dark golden moderate carbonated beer and a foamy, bubbly head. Taste is refreshing and has a decent profile, a little grainy, along with hops that you've seen before, but worth a revisit. Semi-dry finish leaves you feeling almost the same after the beer is finished. Too bad I'm out.

4.06/5  rDev +4.4%

Served in tall pilsner glass, a deep orange honey tone with foamy white head. Plenty of rich floral citrus aroma, lots of lacing in the glass as I drank it down. Has a grassy and lemony flavor, notes of grapefruit and a malty but tart dry finish. Mouthfeel is thin to medium, modest carbonation. Leaves a somewhat bitter aftertaste, went well with my meal.

This beer probably doesn't get much attention out of the Northeast area, but it's a clear "go to" IPA for me. I never seek it out.....looking for new or "better" ales. But the combination of high availability and extreme freshness (I've been able to procure lots only a week old, and never less than 3.5 weeks) makes it a top fall back beer. In fact, I'd rather have a 2 week old ST IPA than a 3.5 month old Sculpin. If you REALLY drink IPAs....it's all about freshness. And if you live in WNY.......the freshest IPA you're gonna get is this. Not world class.......but a solid session ale

3.79/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

1/9...pours bright clear copper, head of white foam. Floral, meadow aroma. More malty than anything. Lemon citrus open, rind like bitter, subdued grapefruits. Bitter begins to take a front seat later in. Tasty.

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Very good, albeit a bit uninspired, standard IPA. All of this brewer's IPAs are a bit flat with a not entirely pleasing aftertaste. Again, this may be due to the age of the variety 12 pack I picked up (about3-4 months old). Overall.... Solid.

2.86/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Had this on draft at the brewery side by side with their 2XIPA.

Amber gold with a large beige head and tons of lace.

Mostly citrus, the nose also exhibits toffee and onion.

Light on both the palate and in flavor, taste is corn, cracker, and lightly bitter lemon rind.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

I don't know why I overlooked this beer and brand all the time at my local beer store. I had this last night on tap, and it was delicious. I look for two types of tastes in an IPA: either a strong bitter taste or nice spicy one (i.e. Perpetual IPA from Tröeg's). Southern Tier's IPA is a great balance of both and extremely drinkable. It has the feel of a session IPA. Looking forward to drinking more of their beers including the 2xs IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Loved this product from one of my all time favorite breweries. A finely crafted IPA that doesn't try to do too much. Great color. Great smell and a great taste, makes this a "go to" IPA . Not an "in your face" taste. Definitely an IPA that could become a "go-to" for IPA drinkers.

3.74/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer pours a golden orange with a two finger white head. There is decent retention and sheets of lacing. Smell is bready malts, floral and citrus hops. Taste is the same, very balanced with moderate bitterness. Feel is light side of medium with not a lot of carbonation. Overall a good IPA, very well balanced, but I prefer hoppier beers.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Southern Tier is a great brewery, but we think they missed on this IPA. It is overly citrusy - and bitter-at-the-end (too much so). Needs more malt to balance.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed 6/12/12

L: Due to a blackout in my house at the time, I didn't get a great look at it but it seems copperish and I'll rate it on par with the other parameters so as not to skew the rating.

S: Excellent tropical citrus fresh hop aroma. Vibrant. A little bit of sweet malt in the background offsets the hops.

T: Piny and resinous, with a little more malt upfront than I was expecting. Also a tad sweet in the finish. Pretty nice IPA but I felt like the hoppiness could use a little more nuance; while the aroma is citrusy and tropical (things I love in an IPA), the taste is a bit more unidimensional in its bitterness.

F: Medium-full mouthfeel; pretty nice. Medium carbonation.

O: A very nice IPA indeed. Great aroma and mouthfeel, but I think the taste should be tweaked slightly to allow the citrusy nature of the hops to shine through.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

From 09/29/15 notes. On tap at Revival in NYC.

Pours a hazy golden yellow color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Lots of citrus hops, grapefruit notes, fruity malts, bread, and light pine hops. Medium body and moderate carbonation, no bitterness.

Overall a pretty solid IPA.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Can't say that I've slept with them all, but of those I have, this one has left fond memories. Doesn't try to do too much and fail at it, like others I've "known" (in the biblical sense). Always welcomes me back!
Translation: A much better than average IPA.

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a perfect pint.

3.5 A: Mildly hazed orange brown color. Two fingers of frothy beige head. Retention is good and one finger of interrupted lacing is left.

3.5 S: Piney, floral, and citrusy hops. Candied oranges, papaya, and mango. A touch of breadiness and caramel malt sweetness. Pleasant, but fairly mellow compared to more recent releases.

3.75 T: Like the nose, this isn't an in your face hop bomb. Rather, it's just a finely crafted IPA of yesteryear. Again a big floral hit with piney undertones. Citrus fruits mentioned above. Bready yeastiness, caramel malts with a pleasant toastiness. Very nice.

3.75 M: Heavier medium body. It's not quite chewy, but the yeastiness adds something to the body. Good moderate carbonation. Moderately creamy and super smooth.

3.75 D: Good beer, easy to drink. I will always remember this fondly as I believe my first purchase of a case of craft beer was the ST mixed case.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

I like what they did here. This is pretty well balanced and I get some of the other reviews that compare it to an English IPA. I picked up just a single of this out of curiosity, now I wish that I would have got a sixer. Just for point of reference, my go to IPA's are Hop Hunter and Torpedo. This one has a great sweet malt backbone that my favorites are lacking. This is a welcome treat after having a Duvel Triple Hop and a Torpedo. Yum.

3.99/5  rDev +2.6%

This was poured into a nonic pint glass.
The appearance was a copper to bronze color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within less than a minute leaving some spotty lacing running here and there around the glass.
The smell had some light floral hops with a little bit of grapefruit and lemon. Light pine backs up nicely.
The taste copies the smell and allows in a slight caramel malt in the back. With a little bit of pine in the aftertaste, there's a quick dry resinous finish.
The mouthfeel was about light to medium bodied with a decent sessionability about it. Carbonation feels good as an AIPA and bitterness pounds at my tongue.
Overall, this is a good AIPA that I'd have again if I could find. Too bad, I had to find it in Oregon. Wish these guys were in Idaho.

IPA (India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company