Compass | Southern Tier Brewing Company

CompassCompass

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Availability: Spring

Added by Knapp85 on 05-27-2013

3.9

1.5/5  rDev -61.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Rely wasnt a big fan

I love southern tier. I've loved every beer I've tried, until this one. It had a dish soap taste to me. I couldn't even finish it. Although I tried,I just couldn't get past that. I think I even cried when I poured it out. It was the third beer I have poured out. I just couldn't do it. To me, it doesn't reflect on southern tier. I still believe they are one of the best around. I will continue to buy anything they release. I hope to get to the brewery soon. For now, I have a pumpking on ice! Got to go.

2.16/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Disclosure: old 22 oz bottle probably from 2013. although bottle conditioned, not meant to age this long... so take review and low rating into account:
Look: pours deep golden, with thin white head with very low retention. the beer is now hazy with visible yeasty sediment. no lacing was observed.
Smell: stale oxidation, green apples (acetaldehyde?), bandagey, sweat, or some type of stinky cheese. none of it good.
Taste: once you get past the mediocre smell, the flavor has not deteriorated as much. mostly just malt sweetness and spices. the bitterness is almost absent. and there is a cheesy flavor there for sure.
Feel: medium body, moderate carbonation (should have been almost effervescent for a "sparkling ale". its texture is oily and with some creamyness. and... there is an astringency that borders on harsh.
The beer finishes short and sweet with only the aforementioned harshness lasting a bit longer.
Overall: I remember this being a decent beer. although I certainly expected some deterioration, it should have held out just a bit better given the high abv and the bottle conditioning. drank just enough to write this review, rest is getting dumped.

2.25/5  rDev -42.3%

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

2.68/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

This beer did not represent what I have come to expect from Southern Tier.

Appearance - Very light yellow in color, dare I say it, like a Budweiser, medium head, little to no lacing.

Smell - Fruity, especially citrus, with flowery undertones.

Taste - Started of strong and pleasing, like an APA should be, but moved to an overpowering citrus flavor, which tasted unnatural. The finish and aftertaste was that of roses or a similar flower.

Mouth- It's hard to get a grasp here, because it was just tapped at a newer restaurant, and it felt over carbonated. I wouldn't lay the blame on Southern Tier until I at least try it out of a bottle.

Overall, I can't give this an okay rating, because I really wouldn't want to drink it again. It had more of a pilsner or kolsch feel and taste to me, which aren't my favorite styles.

2.77/5  rDev -29%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.77/5  rDev -29%

2.92/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

No bottle dating. I think this might have some age on it. In the aroma the hops are dull and it seems a bit oxidized (some cardboard). Lots of floaty stuff in a lighter golden body. I like the bitterness. It's smooth and consistent throughout the drink. Not a lot of fruit in the drink, but some. White caps leaves some nice rings.
Overall, this is pretty bad.

Compass from Southern Tier Brewing Company