2XRye | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Alströms:

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

12oz. Bottle.

Going deep tonight with my beer drinking tonight. I don't care, I'm not on a usual work week schedule. Enough jibber jabber, time for the beer. This brew pours gorgeous! Clean medium copper to a nice shade of Deep Amber body. Nice soapy white head. It's very attractive. The aroma is hops and malts making love in my nostrils! Very clean and resinous hops with a sweet malt backend. Citric lemon with an herbal tea quality that spits forth a hint of tropical goodness. Smells good, let's continue. The taste is just as good. It's all the qualities of a good IPA with a spicy rye bread backbone. The flavor starts out citric that turns to a bit of tropical stone fruits (pineapple acidity). Resinous hops show up too. Leaving a nice coating of lupulin oils to savor. The malts are present with a sweet, spicy and a bit multigrain toasted cracker. This finishes sweet, semi-dry, spicy with a lingering resinous hop bitterness. The feel on the brew is above par. Medium-light with active carbonation.

Overall: This brew is very enjoyable! It comes off as a Rye IPA vs a Rye Beer. Is this one of those beers that a brewer throws in as a curve ball to keep you guessing on the style? If so, I like it! There isn't any really negative things to say about this brew. Back to Basics, this brew is Recommended!

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

2.92/5  rDev -23.8%

3.71/5  rDev -3.1%

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap:
Pours an amber orange, clear with visible carbonation that barely holds a thin edge. Some lacing can be found, but sparsely. At restaurant, nose hard to pick up, but I think it's stronger than I get. Sorta dark bread, bit of caramel, perhaps, maybe some orange blossom - I don't trust my interpretations, so a re-review will be interesting.

The taste does have some citrus to it, but also a lightly sweet spice to it-kind of a cinnamon sugar accent. The rye bite does come in, but it's not as dry as I am used to in a rye. There is an oaky-citrus rind type of bitterness in the end, but I keep getting something resembling a pumpkin beer. This sorta sweet beginning with a bit of a drying finish is right up my alley.

I enjoyed this beer, but am not sure what I got. I have no reason to believe I got the wrong beer as I did see the pour from the tap. I definitely need another shot at this, because if the next one equals this one, I could up my rating.

3.94/5  rDev +2.9%

Great rye. Nice hearty and rustic tones on it. Consistent flavor. Easy drinker. If you are looking for a regular rye to go to, this would definitely be one to consider.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Chalice pour: Clear amber, low head and nice lacing.
Rye with some dank citrus on the nose. Bready malts punch through it, along with a bit of alcohol.
With the taste, the rye gives way to citrus hops, which then gives way to bitter earth, and a grainy bite of alcohol. Flavors of this style don't develop where I expected they would. The rye is there, and this ends up having a nice rye-led cereal grain aspect to the flavor, but it still ends up muddled with an odd spice, which translates as detectable alcohol, somehow.
Mouthfeel is medium thin, well carbonated though. Some syrup. Dry.
Overall, a mild disappointment. Rye brews have grown on me lately, but this example doesn't quite meet the standard numerous others have. Still, a solid brewery.

2XRye from Southern Tier Brewing Company