Warlock | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

Imperial stout brewed with pumpkins Warlock is brewed to enchant your palate on its own and also to counterpoint our Imperial Ale, Pumking. Make your own black magic by carefully pouring this Imperial Stout into a goblet.

Dark and mysterious, the Blackwater Series is serious about high gravity. Reanimate your senses with Warlock’s huge roasted malt character, moderate carbonation and spicy pumpkin pie aroma.

Added by MasterSki on 09-19-2013

Reviews: 395 | Ratings: 2,997
Reviews by teromous:
3.42/5  rDev -13.4%

A: Dark black body with a very light tan head that forms a creamy ring after a quickly fading head. Some spotty lacing on the glass.

S: It has a fantastic smell of pumpkin spice. No individual spices stand out, it is a very lovely scent. It's the perfect scent for what I'd expect out of a pumpkin pie. No hop or grain scents come through. It might be a good thing that only the pumpkin pie spice stands out, but It would be nice to get some more complexity.

T: Wonderful pumpkin flavor at the front, which is washed away with a hint of acidic earthy flavor, which is then chased to the back of the palate immediately by a robust roasted grain and dark coffee flavor. It doesn't linger on the palate after drinking. It's very good but I wouldn't quite call it outstanding. No alcohol flavor.

M: The carbonation is good but the body of the beer is too thin, as if a bit watered down.

O: Overall I thought it was an okay beer, but I don't feel the pumpkin flavor or the stout flavor do much to complement each other. It's like drinking a pumpkin beer and chasing it down with a stout in the same bottle. The stout quickly overwhelms the pumpkin flavor and makes it hard to enjoy. At the end of the drink I'm left with no pumpkin on the palate, just bitterness. The best elements of this beer are the scent and how artfully the alcohol is hidden. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from drinking this beer, but I wouldn't argue that they should seek it out if it is not readily available.

4.26/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours into a goblet a deep cola color with a half finger light beige head that left a broken ring of lace as it settled quickly.Wow the most aromatic pumpkin infused beer I have come across,roasted pumpkin,cardamom,and raw leafy hops stand out most,add vanilla and graham crackers and you have a big complex nose.Flavor of roasted pumpkin and vanilla/spices with some roast,like a pumpkin latte,the raw hops are still playing a big role.What a cool beer,it's a brash pumpkin stout with a real hop profile with alot of malty richness.Top notch.

4.81/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is criminally underrated here. Extremely unique blend of stout/mocha flavors and pumpkin spice. Exceptionally well balanced, and a truly special offering from Southern Tier. CHEERS!

3.55/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle. Pours brown amber with a medium creamy light tan head that retains well and leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is cinnamon toast, ginger, roast chocolate, and a little pumpkin.

The flavor is sweet roast chocolate malts with some fruity pumpkin and a lot of pumpkin spice (esp cinnamon) and a little black licorice. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, an interesting spiced pumpkin stout.

2.33/5  rDev -41%

To be honest, I am shocked that this beer has gotten decent reviews. To me, this was a cloyingly sweet, boozy mess with an oddly artificial and overpowering pumpkin pie spice flavor. There was no cohesion between the two styles and made me think that they shouldn't be brought together. I rarely resort to a drain pour, but I did in this case.

4.49/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My bottle was 2013 vintage at 8.6% from my beer cellar.
Aged nicely at two years old. Amazing aroma of dark roasty goodness with hints of cocoa, full on chocolate and, well, PUMPKIN. But not overwhelming pumpkin--more like roasted pumpkin chunks with olive oil and some mild spices on a large cookie sheet fresh out of the oven. It's just right. Mouthfeel was full, robust and fulfilling. Beer packs a punch, and it's just where it needs to be for a satisfying pumpkin beer. Not like that watery stuff that is out there.
Loved it.

3.99/5  rDev +1%

A: The beer is jet black in color. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down, leaving a bit of lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of pumpkin spices are present in the nose—nutmeg seems to stand out in particular along with hints of cinnamon.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has lots of pumpkin spices, although the cinnamon seems a little stronger and there are also notes of pumpkins and hints of roasted malts. As the beer begins to warm up, the spices stand out in the finish.
M: It feels a bit more than medium-bodied and a little smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. The pumpkin spices lend a little dryness in the finish.
O: This beer hides its alcohol rather well so it is relatively easy to drink, although my personal preference would be to have a little more pumpkins to balance with the spices.

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a dark brown color with a great sized off-white head, fades at a decent rate, not much lacing on the glass.

Smell is quite strong, huge pumpkin spice aroma which is surprising, I know this is a pumpkin beer but I figured the stout aspect might temper some of the spicing and it didn't one bit, some malt sweetness in the background.

Taste starts out briefly with a roasted malt front which is then overwhelmed with the pumpkin spice flavor, pumpkin flavor on its own is fairly mild, it's usually the spices added afterwards that most people recognize and this beer essentially tastes like roasted pumpkin pie, carbonation is medium-low with a good softness in the mouth.

The sweetness and the spices do tend to be cloying and strong, best shared with a friend since it may prove difficult to finish on my own.

This is a good beer, but I'd say there is a misnomer here. Nose and flavor are heavy gingerbread, nutmeg, and pumpkin.
Hardly a stout at all. Especially for an Imp Stout, the body is on the thin side, like Mokah. Looking past all this confluence of confusion
this is a very nice pumpkin beer with an ABV that'll warm you up on a cool autumn evening.

On the spot review of this long awaited ale. Anyone that has read my reviews knows Pumking is my favorite ale ever, of course maybe second to Rochefort 10, or maybe Pumking is my favorite, depending on the occasion or my mood. So finally I got a bottle of this being it is finally in season.... so here goes nothing....

Look: After cracking open the bottle, I got a mega wiff of pumpkin. Candied pumpkin. But I am not rating smell right off the bat, just noting how RADIANT the smell is! I expected Pumking, but silly me. This stuff came out DARK. Like motor oil. Well, darker. It's muddy dark brown. I like it. Same head as pumking. About 2 finger that lingers for a few minutes. But oh the smell! The look though is quite beautiful. And once the head disappears it turns BLACK. Really black. It is evil looking, and perfect for halloween!

Smell: THE SMELL! The moment I cracked her open, I got a blast of that sweet pumking goodness! I can't wait to sip this now. She is ice cold from the fridge and poured into a goblet. I have been waiting to try this since last year, mind you, just never found a bottle when I was wanting one. But the smell... heavy sweet candied pumpkin with hints of black licorice. This is so Halloween its not even funny. This is your ideal Halloween ale! Get yourself some of this for Halloween, seriously!

Taste: YOW. That is powerful. Pumking exists in here, but its different. It has a darker flavor, I detect some darker presence, maybe some hints of licorice, some flavors I can't pick up on. Definitely pumpkin, cloves, butter, pie crust, cream, then the other flavors. The best way I can describe it is Pumking with essence of the bottle of the trick or treat bag. Outstanding. And it has some alcohol burn being its 10% alcohol, so she is a lot stronger than Pumking. Be careful!

Feel: Smooth. Crisp. Tasty. Not dry. Not bitter. She has been done well. Frothy, thick, each sip has a thickness to it, like chocolate milk thickness. How did they pull this off? The outdid themselves with this brew! It has a high gravity burn at first but the pumpkin and spices help you recover quickly.

Overall: I can't even tell you how amazed I am with this ale. It takes everything that makes Pumking great and goes further with it. A darker, sweeter and higher alcohol Pumking, with hints of halloween candy-ish type flavors blasting you, and honestly I had a few weak bottles of Pumking which I could barely smell. This ale is damn radiant and blasts you every second, from the moment the bottle is open until the last sip. I love it, I love it soooo freaking much! Get this, Halloween fans! Get a few bottles, save it for Halloween, watch some horror movies in the dark with a jack o'lantern lit, sip it slowly and savor all the Halloween flavors. This is the ideal Halloween drink! Happy Halloween, friends :)

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance is near black, with a think tan head that dissipates quickly.
Smell is warm gingerbread, made with lots of molasses. There's a lot of spice, alcohol and dark malt on the nose.
Taste follows the smell, but stronger. Truly like a deep, dark liquid gingerbread made with molasses. But not sweet, no, it's the dark. Burnt sugar flavors that come through. It's a very unique and wonderful flavor.
Mouthfeel us a surprise, with a light body. This is really drinkable with medium carbonation.
Overall this is a great experience, and I look forward to my next one.

1.96/5  rDev -50.4%

I hate to leave a review so short and negative, but this particular beer tastes, to me, what guinea pigs smell like. Pumpkin beers are a hard sell for me, but the flavor in this reminds me more of the rat I saw behind the store I work at tonight than of anything pumpkin. Maybe I'm missing something in this one. But, you'd be hard pressed to get me to drink it again unfortunately. Sorry southern tier, I love stouts, the bigger the flavors the better, but this one, just does not at all do it for me. Hard poured into the sink.

4.16/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Pours a translucent coffee with burnt orange highlights; the one inch head is a surprisingly light color for so dark a beer; it leaves some splashy lacing behind

Smell: Graham cracker malt dominates, with roasty chocolate and pumpkin pie spice tones

Taste: Graham cracker flavor, up front, with the dark chocolate building through the middle; pumpkin and subtle pumpkin pie spice tones build, as well; after the swallow, hop bitterness adds another dimension, though the finish is dominated by the malt flavors; a hint of the spice lingers in the after-taste

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: This beer brings a nice blend of stout and pumpkin flavors; I have a tough time saying that is dominated by one vs the other as every time I reach a conclusion; the flavors move in the other direction

A little different but just as good as Pumking. I really like how ST brings the pumpkin flavor forward yet manages to deliver an otherwise delicious beer. There is a mild roasted flavor which probably also explains the darker color. Of course there's pumpkin, but taste is nicely balanced. One thing for sure the aroma screams pumpkin!

4.16/5  rDev +5.3%

11 ounce pour - Taco Mac in Woodstock, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown, near black body with a constant coating of beige suds. Faint lace on the descent.

Smell: Heavy toast, agreeable roastiness, and the familiar fragrant notes of Pumking, with pumpkin, blended spices, and graham cracker crust action.

Taste: Notably Pumking-y, but, now, with a roasty element of slightly burnt pumpkin pie crust edges. The range of spices from the original now with a sprinkling of cocoa powder. Satisfying, it holds in a roasty, pumpkiny, comfortably warming pattern until the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium, albeit soft level of carbonation.

Overall: Looks stout-like, but feels more like Pumking, which isn't a bad thing at all. More fun than watching Youtube clips of Black Friday fights. So what if I like watching people act like animals at stores.

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%