Warlock | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

Imperial stout brewed with pumpkins Warlock is brewed to enchant your palate on its own and also to counterpoint our Imperial Ale, Pumking. Make your own black magic by carefully pouring this Imperial Stout into a goblet.

Dark and mysterious, the Blackwater Series is serious about high gravity. Reanimate your senses with Warlock’s huge roasted malt character, moderate carbonation and spicy pumpkin pie aroma.

Added by MasterSki on 09-19-2013

Reviews: 395 | Ratings: 2,997

Long-time fan of the Pumking, I did not think Southern Tier could make a better pumpkin ale. Boy was I wrong. Warlock is dark deliciousness. I have had both draft Warlock and bottled, I prefer draft. Perfectly spiced with a very satisfying mouth feel, this beer just makes you want to order another.

A - Poured vigourously into a chalice, deep infinite blackness with a creamy, caramel colored head. No light showing through, and the head leaves ludicrous lacing on the glass, this is a monster of a stout!

S - The smell knocks my nose for a loop, I get the stout first, the deep rich chocolate and coffee aromas tease my nose, then it fades into a warm burnt vanilla and some dark eartiness, until BAM! The pumpkin comes out of nowhere, a nice sweet/sour scent with some hints of nutmeg and cinammon, and a caramel thickness warms my nose. Incredible scent.

T - Incredible. Their Choklat stout was already one of my favorite beers ever, and this just takes things to a whole new level. The rich chocolate notes that Choklat hit are accentuated by the bite of the pumpkin and spices, and are brought to new heights. My favorite points of Choklat and Pumpking mixed into one beer! Deep, rich and smooth chocolate velvet greets the tongue, mouth washed over with some deep caramel and vanilla, some hints of figs maybe even black coffee to get some bitterness going. The pumpkin fades in like a warm fire starting, first some graham cracker crustiness, then the vanilla and nutmeg cinammon spice, and then some sweet pumpkin coolness. The pumpkin mixes well with the chocolate, and makes a truly unforgettable fall treat.

M - Thick and chewy, very heavy beer, but that's how a good stout should be. Warms the mouth and, you'd never guess the high ABV from taste or feel alone. Very smooth, regardless of the thickness. A great example of a stout for fall/winter.

O - I've always been a fanboy of Southern Tier's stouts, and this one is no different. Incredible flavor and texture, the chocolate and pumpkin make for a great experience, and anybody who loves dark beers, or stouts, or pumpkin beers, or beer in general should definitely try this. Southern Tier has done it again!

On the spot review of this long awaited ale. Anyone that has read my reviews knows Pumking is my favorite ale ever, of course maybe second to Rochefort 10, or maybe Pumking is my favorite, depending on the occasion or my mood. So finally I got a bottle of this being it is finally in season.... so here goes nothing....

Look: After cracking open the bottle, I got a mega wiff of pumpkin. Candied pumpkin. But I am not rating smell right off the bat, just noting how RADIANT the smell is! I expected Pumking, but silly me. This stuff came out DARK. Like motor oil. Well, darker. It's muddy dark brown. I like it. Same head as pumking. About 2 finger that lingers for a few minutes. But oh the smell! The look though is quite beautiful. And once the head disappears it turns BLACK. Really black. It is evil looking, and perfect for halloween!

Smell: THE SMELL! The moment I cracked her open, I got a blast of that sweet pumking goodness! I can't wait to sip this now. She is ice cold from the fridge and poured into a goblet. I have been waiting to try this since last year, mind you, just never found a bottle when I was wanting one. But the smell... heavy sweet candied pumpkin with hints of black licorice. This is so Halloween its not even funny. This is your ideal Halloween ale! Get yourself some of this for Halloween, seriously!

Taste: YOW. That is powerful. Pumking exists in here, but its different. It has a darker flavor, I detect some darker presence, maybe some hints of licorice, some flavors I can't pick up on. Definitely pumpkin, cloves, butter, pie crust, cream, then the other flavors. The best way I can describe it is Pumking with essence of the bottle of the trick or treat bag. Outstanding. And it has some alcohol burn being its 10% alcohol, so she is a lot stronger than Pumking. Be careful!

Feel: Smooth. Crisp. Tasty. Not dry. Not bitter. She has been done well. Frothy, thick, each sip has a thickness to it, like chocolate milk thickness. How did they pull this off? The outdid themselves with this brew! It has a high gravity burn at first but the pumpkin and spices help you recover quickly.

Overall: I can't even tell you how amazed I am with this ale. It takes everything that makes Pumking great and goes further with it. A darker, sweeter and higher alcohol Pumking, with hints of halloween candy-ish type flavors blasting you, and honestly I had a few weak bottles of Pumking which I could barely smell. This ale is damn radiant and blasts you every second, from the moment the bottle is open until the last sip. I love it, I love it soooo freaking much! Get this, Halloween fans! Get a few bottles, save it for Halloween, watch some horror movies in the dark with a jack o'lantern lit, sip it slowly and savor all the Halloween flavors. This is the ideal Halloween drink! Happy Halloween, friends :)

I'm sure my score will come down to earth but this is an outstanding beer. Aroma is off the charts, and the balance of a big malty base with many overtones of pumpkin and chocolate makes this the best new pumpkin entry I have had in a long time.

Naturally pumpkin recipes run the gamut, so this may not be to other's liking, but it's a home run for me.

Deliciously dark brew. The pumpkin is a bit rancid at first, but once your palate is saturated, it perfectly smooths away any bitterness, and adds that rich, squashy creaminess that fills out the mouth and make this a pleasure to drink.

Truly, the standard by which all other stouts are measured. I love this beer.

a: black, minimal head, tan foam, feint lacing
s: roasty chocolate and coffee
t: Deep, rich chocolate with caramel and vanilla, hints of black coffee, vanilla and nutmeg cinnamon spice, gradually giving way to pumpkin. Remarkable!
m: full body, creamy, sticky, thick feel, soft carbonation, long finish,
o: A perfect imperial stout

4.95/5  rDev +25.3%

Ok, so I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for pumpkin anything. Especially sweets. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin flan (Uncle Julio's, west Fort Worth), pumpkin cookies with cream cheese icing. Just about my favorite part of the holiday season is the plethora of pumpkin offerings. And of all the pumpkin infused brews, this is the one I keep coming back to.

4.94/5  rDev +25.1%

Immediately after pouring I get a roasted almonds nougat smell identical to a roaster ferrara torrone. The mouth feel is thick and silky and when held the tingling of the hops show their power. Then when swallowing I get a strong roasted flavor followed by the exact taste of a roasted ferrara torrone I smelt earlier and a complexly layered chocolate malt I smelt earlier. I've been drinking this every day and I remember tasting pumpkin and possibly cinnamon the first few times I had it. I don't taste the pumpkin/cinnamon anymore so maybe I suck at reviewing beer. At the moment this is my favorite beer. The only points it loses is in the look. Labeled an imperial stout I expect it to be blacker then black and its a brown/black but not disappointing. I plan on aging a few of these if I can stop drinking them.

4.91/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was super excited to see the rollout of all the pumpkin beers at my liquor store this week, so I picked up this one to try it out. Really great beer with a great balance between the pumpkin flavors and more traditional beer flavors. Doesn't feel like a cheap novelty beer unlike some pumpkin ales I've tried.

Appearance: Nearly opaque dark brown. Small tan head, feel off relatively quick. Good lacing.

Smell: It really made me anxious for fall, that's for sure. The spices are very forward and inviting.

Taste: Delicious. Very well balanced. The pumpkin isn't dominant, but it's also undeniably there. The spices add a lot of very welcome complexity to the beer as well

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation, very easy to drink, especially for an Imperial stout.

4.89/5  rDev +23.8%

It's a bit transparent; and in my opinion more of a porter than a stout. Other than that it is a spectacular beer. I was sad when it was over.

Smelled great.

Tasted great.

Felt great.

Overall pretty great.

Am I at 250 characters yet?

No? Ok imagine drinking a slice of pumpkin pie with just a Little bit of chocolate syrup drizzled on top. Yeah, it's like that.

4.88/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Poured into a snifter, the head was about half a finger and faded to nearly nothing in short time. Not very dark for a stout. A very dark, deep brown color, in which light shines through around the edges with a reddish tinge.

Smell: Right away puts me in mind of Pumking. Very sweet, sugary pumpkin spices.

Taste: Again, puts me in mind of Pumking, but the very bold flavor of Pumking dialed back lightly. I'd have to drink them back to back to be sure. As far as this beer in it's self, the pumpkin flavor is very prominent. Yet it has the dark, roasted flavor of a stout. Excellent, if I don't say so myself.

Feel: Medium-full bodied. Smooth carbonation, with a touch of the spice from the pumpkin flavors.

Overall: I think it's excellent. We're all used to Pumpkin ale's, but a Pumpkin stout is new, at least to me. A lot of the same flavors you get with a good pumpkin ale, but it has the dark roasted feeling you get with most stouts.

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

22oz bottle poured a reddish-brown colored black hue. Aromas of pumpkin, pumpkin pie, and spices with the nutmeg being pretty pronounced. Taste matches the smell with the pumpkin, vanilla, and graham cracker coming together very closely but not quite as enticing though. It has a sort of coffee, maple finish with some cinnamon which is slightly intriguing. Not as "full-bodied" as I prefer my stouts but, nonetheless it's still enough. Overall though; this was not too overly sweet yet still an excellent pumpkin imperial stout.

4.81/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is criminally underrated here. Extremely unique blend of stout/mocha flavors and pumpkin spice. Exceptionally well balanced, and a truly special offering from Southern Tier. CHEERS!

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Presentation: Very nice looking label with an attractive color scheme and graphics. Label has tons of info giving web info, a bit of brewery info, ABV info, an ingredient list, glassware recommendation, serving temp recommendation, food pairing info, beer color info, body info, bitterness info, storage info, and a small description and back story on the beer. Very nice. Also has Southern Tier logo.

Appearance: A vigorous pour from its 22oz brown bottle into a 16oz snifter led to a 2½ finger light brown/tan head of a medium slightly creamy density atop a jet black beer that is completely opaque. Head retention was 3min 48sec before fading to a thick coating and ring. Good lacing

Smell/Aroma: The smell is phenomenal with hints of milk chocolate and roast coffee malts along with a rich deep vanilla aroma. All of the previous sit atop a rich pumpkin pie aroma with deep pumpkin, nutmeg, and cinnamon along with a slight caramel scents very prevalent. One of the best smelling beers I have ever experienced!

Flavor/Taste: Taste is of rich milk chocolate along with pumpkin, nutmeg, and cinnamon on the front end. Midpoint is dominated by rich caramel and vanilla along with pumpkin pie(crust and all). Back end tastes of light pumpkin and rich roast black coffee with a pumpkin aftertaste. Phenomenal!

MouthFeel/Drinkability: Thick, creamy, full bodied, and filling. Extremely drinkable even with its thick full bodied nature.

Overall/Comments: Simply one of the most tasty better overall beers that I have ever had and the best pumpkin beer I have had. Get this and then get more if you can find it! Classified as an American Double/Imperial Stout @ 8.6% ABV. Consumed 10/3/2013.

4.79/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of stout. But this sh*t freakin' rocks! Poured from a growler, I didn't waste a lot of time oogling the appearance (although I will say that the head was ample, full, and clung to the glass for a long time), but instead buried my schnoz into the tulip glass and enjoyed the cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, coffee, vanilla nose and then satiated my curious thirst desperately inspired by an afternoon spent wrapping presents for my mother-in-laws' autre grand-rug-rats. And WOW, was I rewarded ("thank you, God"). Anyone who enjoys good beer made well will appreciate this palate pleaser. Smooth malty taste, with great balance between the alcohol and the creamy texture, and the root-beer-like taste of this charmer. Throw another log on the fire and peel off your panties, honey -- this one's a keeper!

4.77/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Being such a lover of Pumpking, I was a little skeptical that this could live up to that standard, bit I think this was pretty delicious. My summary this is the best of both Choklat and Pumpking combined into one beer.
A: black as night, little head, but not super viscous. Served in a mason glass pint.
S: Cloves, spices, chocolate. Quite satisfying. Full of the flavors of fall in a dank way.
T: Deep chocolate, clove and nutmeg, pumpkin. Mouth feel is not as syrupy as one might expect, but quite pleasant.
O: would drink again!

4.77/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours black with some transparency and very slight head. You can see the high carbonation
S: This is where the magic happens. Take the Pumpking and jack it with some vanilla, malt and chocalte notes and you have the Warlock. The sweet Pumpkin Pie smell is something Southern Tier hit perfectly. Hence the extremely rare perfect score
T: Pretty much aligns with what you get on the nose: Sweet Pumpkin Pie, vanilla, creme, malt and chocolate. very dominate flavors and smells.
M: Medium mouthfeel that you see with a lot of stouts with a healthy amount of carbonation.
O: With a $9-$10 price tag I hesitated at first but once I gave it a try went back for more. This is one of the rare beers that hits high in almost all categories for me and worth the price if you can find some this season.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

This was a really interesting beer. An imperial stout brewed with pumpkin puree!!! They recommend you serve it in a goblet, and I was happy to oblige. The beer starts out tasting like a very nice imperial stout and then breaks off into a nice natural pumpkin flavor with a nice kick at the end!

Was happy I found this at my local store, worth the 10$- Looking forward to buying it next year or finding it on tap again!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am a stout and porter drinker. I love this beer! Great balance between dessert pumpkin pie and a heavy stout. I have baked pumpkin pies with Guinness and this reminds me a little of that experience. Nice rocky head at pour, thins down as it leaves lacing all the way to the finish. Great aromas of toffee, pumpkin pie, some alcohol. Taste is complex and very smooth for 10% ABV!! Wow...fabulous! If you are an imperial fan, try this. If you like light pumpkin ales, try this too.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

No apologies, I am a huge fan of this beer

Bought as a bomber, poured into a pint glass, black with 1-2 cm light tan head

S: sense of that pumpkin spice with a hint of vanilla

M/T: medium carbonation, extremely smooth it hits you with a bit of pumpkin spice, some nutmeg, just a touch of heat of the alcohol, perfect amount. The slight bitterness is woven in with the other hints of dark chocolate that balance perfectly with the deftly spiced pumpkin - not too much nor too little. Whereas in a spiced brew, the spice dominates, in this beer it hangs around in the background to finish off some of the flavors in a very complementary fashion.

O: I could drink this every day, although is likely only available seasonally, I would recommend grabbing a couple on your way to a party with friends, several complex flavors make this beer easy to drink, smooth, and a great discussion piece.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

I am BIG FAN OF Pumking and could not wait to try this since i also love stouts and Porters. OK first off, if you get a chance (since i just bought a case of bombers of Warlock and a case of 12 bomber Yeti oak aged Imperial Stouts) , try blending these two together . Outstanding !!! but back to Warlock on its own , I have to say it is basikly pumpking with a small amount of bitter malt aftertaste. My guess is SOuthern teir did there own blending of Pumking and maybe there 2X stout ???

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

This brew pours a pure black color with a two finger mocha head. Little lacing; low carbonation.

The smell is full of pumpkins, cardamom, vanilla, allspice chocolate, nutmeg and roasted malts.

The taste follows the nose, this is a surprisingly good pumpkin ale for a beer that bills itself as an Imperial Stout. All of the elements that were present in the smell are present in the taste. First the chocolate then the pumpkin spices hit, then a nutty taste, a slight roasted malt taste then gingerbread moving to vanilla. It goes down smoothly with a strong taste and smell of vanilla remaining in the aftertaste.

This beer is interesting and complex; there is a lot going on here and I will need to have more in order to take it all in.

4.71/5  rDev +19.2%

Beautifully smooth and creamy right out of the bottle. Taste is complex sweet-spiciness with only a mild bitterness and an overall chocolatey feel. Would go excellent with anything on the very sweet side, and tasty with my baked pumpkin dinner, too.

Pumpkin rating: Low, but the spiciness makes up for it.
Would drink again: Anytime yes now please. All year long ok with me.

4.69/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite stouts period. One of my favorite beers throughout the fall season. I think Southern Tier brews their best beers in the fall (pumpking, harvest, warlock)

4.68/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The idea of this beer is like a dream come true to me. I've always loved pumking and the blackwater stouts, sometimes I would even mix pumking and choklat!

A-black with a nice tan head when agitated.

S-smells like pumking except with a hint of dark roasted grains. Good strength

T-comes in with a great flavor of real pumpkin and just some dark roasted malts. The dark malts come in a lot stronger in the after-taste. It's a really good authentic flavor, from the pumpkins to the dark grains. There's some bitterness in the end as well. Good strength, no off flavors.

M-good medium carbonation with a nice semi-chalky finish

O-definitely the best dark pumpkin beer I've had, even better than my pumking/choklat mix. One of the best pumpkin beers I've had in general, maybe even better than pumking itself. It truly has more pumpkin aspect than stout aspect, but the roasted flavors are there for sure.

Warlock from Southern Tier Brewing Company