Warlock | Southern Tier Brewing Company

New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

Imperial stout brewed with pumpkins Warlock is brewed to enchant your palate on its own and also to counterpoint our Imperial Ale, Pumking. Make your own black magic by carefully pouring this Imperial Stout into a goblet.

Dark and mysterious, the Blackwater Series is serious about high gravity. Reanimate your senses with Warlock’s huge roasted malt character, moderate carbonation and spicy pumpkin pie aroma.

Added by MasterSki on 09-19-2013

Ratings: 3,046 |  Reviews: 411

1.08/5  rDev -72.7%

1.27/5  rDev -67.9%

Sorry, but this beer is simply revolting. Beyond cloyingly sweet. So sugary my teeth actually felt gritty after a few sips. Stacked high with the sweetness, there is a chemical, artificial-flavor flavor. Nauseating. Poured it down the sink, and that's hard for me to do. This is a beer for people who drink 3L bottles of soda every day.

1.32/5  rDev -66.7%

1.37/5  rDev -65.4%

Looks like a stout, tastes like crap.
Seriously one of the worst beers I've ever had. Would rather have a skunked corona poured down my throat than to ever take a sip from this failure of a beer ever again.
Tastes of rotten, sweet vegetables and spices hit the tongue first, and this taste lingers for 30 minutes after the last sip.
This beer honestly has no redeeming factors, and is the only beer I've had that I would never even want to try again.

1.5/5  rDev -62.1%

1.6/5  rDev -59.6%

1.67/5  rDev -57.8%

ok so maybe pumpkin beers just arent my thing but i know a little about imperial stouts, and have brewed a few tasty ones in my time... but this? omfg. if cloyingly sweet, imitation pumpkin spice mixed with cigarette butts, old coffee and dirty socks wrapped in a tea bag.... and steeped in what would have been an adequate at best imperial stout is your thing... look no further! the ONLY thing that kept me from dumping this monstrosity down the sewer was it's 10% abv. kind of bad when alcohol content is the only saving grace for a beer. awful... just really really awful.

1.75/5  rDev -55.8%

1.75/5  rDev -55.8%

1.89/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

I can't believe the score is so high on this one. I like pumpkin beer but this is just nasty stuff. Must be that the newest batch, at 10% ABV, is drastically different than the previous ones listed here as 8.6%. Or else I got a bad bottle, but since I will never risk money on this potential waste of funds again, I may never find out.

Pours like a stout with no head or lacing.

Woah. First smell has a lot going on. Really sweet, a bit briney like seaweed, and then back to intense pumpkin candy aroma. A little caramel too, some nutmeg and cinnamon, kinda just smells like a Cracker Barrel store in the autumn.

Taste is just a little more than I can handle. Really sweet, rich, and psychotic that they would sell this in a bomber without a warning to share it with like, 4 other people. Hops are doing a strange thing with bitterness against the sweetness, and it tastes like a fermented pumpkin pie. A bit of dark chocolate, coffee, fig, and yeah, again with the pumpkin.

Way too sweet and rich and intense for me, I'm actually just going to pour this out and give it to my girlfriend who loves this kind of overcooked shit.

1.9/5  rDev -52%

Not a fan of the pumpkin.

1.92/5  rDev -51.5%

1.96/5  rDev -50.5%

I hate to leave a review so short and negative, but this particular beer tastes, to me, what guinea pigs smell like. Pumpkin beers are a hard sell for me, but the flavor in this reminds me more of the rat I saw behind the store I work at tonight than of anything pumpkin. Maybe I'm missing something in this one. But, you'd be hard pressed to get me to drink it again unfortunately. Sorry southern tier, I love stouts, the bigger the flavors the better, but this one, just does not at all do it for me. Hard poured into the sink.

Warlock from Southern Tier Brewing Company