Warlock | Southern Tier Brewing Company

New York, United States
southerntierbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

Imperial stout brewed with pumpkins Warlock is brewed to enchant your palate on its own and also to counterpoint our Imperial Ale, Pumking. Make your own black magic by carefully pouring this Imperial Stout into a goblet.

Dark and mysterious, the Blackwater Series is serious about high gravity. Reanimate your senses with Warlock’s huge roasted malt character, moderate carbonation and spicy pumpkin pie aroma.

Added by MasterSki on 09-19-2013

Ratings: 3,055 |  Reviews: 414
4.67/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.96/5  rDev 0%

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Looks like motor oil.
Smells like faint pumpkin. A little bit artificial smelling.
Tastes like strong cinnamon and nutmeg. Im getting maltiness Graham cracker with a nice dash of pumpkin. On the way out it's like a molasses cookie.
Mouthfeel lighter than a stout.
Overall delicious but I couldn't drink more than one. It's very dessert like.

4.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The appearance was a jet black colored body with a thin to half finger white foamy head that quickly dies leaving barely any lacing. The smell like ST took "Pumking" and threw it in a stout and upped the ABV, yep its a Double Stout for ya, roasty chocolate coming up combining into the "Pumking" flavoring with a light cinnamon. The taste takes the Pumking with some cinnamon and roasty chocolate-ness coming through, light chocolate covered "Pumking" aftertaste and a dry finish. On the palate, it sits about a medium, somewhat sessionable but I sipped this one. Carbonation is wonderful for a Double Stout - somewhat smooth yet there’s a slight crisp element which I like. Overall, so in reality this is "Pumking" thrown into a stout.

4.26/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 oz bottle. 8.6% ABV.
Pours very dark, nearly opaque in the glass. Color: red-brown. Head: thin, tan semi-durable.
Aroma: spicy but more like spiced bread than pumpkin pie.
Flavor: well set level and mix of spicing allows the dark grains to shine. Lightly sweet fading to mildly bitter, with hints of roasted cashews, cinnamon, nutmeg and baked pumpkin. Balanced and harmonious.
Feel: smooth, full body with medium-light carbonation.

3.74/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.98/5  rDev +25.8%

Southern Tier Brewing Co. "Warlock"
22 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "VINTAGE 2016 215 10:59:25"

Notes via stream of consciousness: Opaque black body with a thin edge of mahogany at the base of the glass where light can get through. Frothy then creamy-once-settled head of tan. What is this? "Imperial stout brewed with pumpkin & natural flavor added". Well I wonder what the natural flavor is; but I guess they're actually using pumpkin in the mash. OK. It smells nutty, pumpkin-pie spicy, and just slightly roasty. I wouldn't call the aroma bold by any means, but neither is it hidden. A first sip reveals a pleasant richness that delivers some of the nuttiness found in the aroma, and of course, some spice - but it's not overdone, at least on the first sip. The nuttiness in the aroma is really quite beautiful. It reminds me of filberts (what's the other name for those?), and almonds. The spice does carry through into the flavor, building with my second sip. I'm finding some light roastiness in the finish as well. It's somewhat spicy, just a touch acidic, and stiffly bitter in the finish with the spice lingering. Do I think it's overdone now? No, not yet, and at least the cinnamon, which is usually the biggest culprit, isn't right out there. In fact, I'm not finding any of the spices to really stick out, which is interesting. Perhaps it's because of the age, of perhaps it's because the spice is actually part of the "natural flavor" - I don't know, but it works for me. At this point I'm also getting some alcohol which is adding to the spiciness, and some molasses. I'm also getting more cinnamon. What I'm missing is some chocolate given that it's an "Imperial stout", and perhaps some roastiness as well. This is more of an Imperial Schwarzbier or very dark brown ale as I see it right now - not that that's bad because I like it, but it's not living up the the "stout" side of things. OK, refocusing, it's full-medium in body and moderately crisp. Also, I'm getting more cinnamon now.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev +5.1%

3.66/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.39/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.23/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

If I had read the bottle first, I probably would have known it was a pumpkin beer...

4.89/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2.81/5  rDev -29%

This beer starts out looking great- dark and thick.

It's really hard to be objective here, as I'm not a huge fan of spiced beers, but thought I'd give this pumpkin-spiced, big-boy stout a whirl. Its a completely overly sweet and spiced mess of a beer that I'd feel bad serving to my dog.

SO. DISAPPOINTING.

Easily one of the most vile beers I've ever tried.

3.72/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear, very deep garnet colour. Smells extremely roasty, alcoholic, grainy, cereal malts, pumpkin, nutmeg, molasses, and earthy hops. Tastes malty upfront, cereal malts, pumpkin, spices, toasted grains, molasses cookies, and a lingering earthy-grainy finish.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber,into a Prairie Artisan Ales snifter.I normally hate pumpkin beers,so here we go.

Thin khaki head that disappears immediately.Brown coming out of the bottle,black after the pour.Dark cloudy brown / black in color,with lots of sediment floating around.Not much light coming through the glass.Lots of heavy,fast moving carbonation for an imperial stout.

On the nose I get alot of pumpkin spices.Also getting some dark malts,and very faint hints of chocolate.Some caramel and toffee too.

On the palate I get a huge dose of pumpkin,with slight hints of chocolate and cocoa nibs.Some dark malts as well.Toffee and caramel slightly showing too.

The body is heavy,with a decent amount of bubbling from the carbonation.

This one surprised me...I typically hate pumpkin beers,but I thought this one was very well blended...Not too over the top on the pumpkin.This is a good imperial stout for the Halloween season.
I'll probably pick this one up again.

Warlock from Southern Tier Brewing Company