Warlock | Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company
New York, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

Imperial stout brewed with pumpkins Warlock is brewed to enchant your palate on its own and also to counterpoint our Imperial Ale, Pumking. Make your own black magic by carefully pouring this Imperial Stout into a goblet.

Dark and mysterious, the Blackwater Series is serious about high gravity. Reanimate your senses with Warlock’s huge roasted malt character, moderate carbonation and spicy pumpkin pie aroma.

Added by MasterSki on 09-19-2013

Reviews: 395 | Ratings: 2,999
4.2/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark with a caramel colored head, just around the top it had a deep purple tint to the beer, head did not last long some lacing.
Smell I really love sweet potato pie and this smells just like it, hints of vanilla and some cinnamon
Taste was really good I got the sweet potato pie flavor the 10% abv was well hidden, as it warmed the flavors came through and I got a little more boozy taste.
Feel medium body not too heavy but smooth, no burn from the alcohol very clean
Overall I really enjoyed this beer and would have it again, I did save one to age and see how it differs next year.

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Southern Tier Warlock.

Part of the beer box I received this year from the brother. I wanted to try this one for a while but for whatever reason I never bought it. Pumking was a bit too much pumpkin for my liking and I think this brew should turn out pretty well seeing as there are more dimensions to add to what pumking already brought to the table.

Look - Poured from the 22oz. Bomber into a dimpled pint glass. Beer pours a deeper shade of dark brown with a three finger mocha colored head that takes a few stop and goes to truly get enough for the glass. After a few minutes the head has stuck fairly well and appears to be quite sticky though hasn't left much stick upon slowly going down. I don't see much in the way of carbonation either. The remaining lacing and stick is quite a bit more attractive than I had anticipated.

Smell - Admittedly the nose isn't as strong as I had expected, but minus the strength it does retain the scents I was expecting. The pie crust is absolutely huge in this beer and the roasted malts are very nice at doing their balancing job. There is a bit of a hair burning alcohol note on the nose as well. Pumking smelled more like perfume, where as this smells more like a chocolate pie with cinnamon. Just wish the scent were more in your face upon a whiff.

Taste - Taste follows the nose with a bit more in the way of pie crust. The balance is light years ahead of pumking with the chocolate factors playing a key role. It is sweet,but not deathly sweet and cloyingly so like the aforementioned beer. Alcohol isn't present in the taste. There is a faint amount of bitterness as the beer warms up quite a bit.

Feel - The feel on this brew is quite creamy, almost like some kind of fancy cappucino. Body is about moderate with q low level of carbonation. Alcohol thankfully doesn't come through nearly at all in the feel and the beer swallows with the bitterness turning up a bit but never once becoming offensive.

Overall - I like this beer quite a bit and it is certainly better than pumking. It was interesting to see how the different flavors came together and made something like this happen. Admittedly, one bomber is my limit in a single sitting but this is still a tasty after dinner treat. And better part is it sits so I'm sure you could find your pull of it!. As always, try it and come to your own conclusion. Also, dangerously. drinkable for 8.6%!..

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: Clear dark mahogany with a creamy tan head half a finger high. In its wake, a sticky film coats the sides of the glass.

Smell: Oh so good. Cinnamon, spice, and everything nice! Other than the requisite pumpkin, the hefty aroma includes nutmeg, milk chocolate, orange peels, cloves, and rum raisin.

Taste: Chocolate malt balanced against black licorice melts into a lightly bitter herbaceous aftertaste. The pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg are there as promised by the aroma. The end of each taste features more licorice and bitters, giving off a sumptuous cocktail vibe.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation produce an even-keeled feel which is heavy enough to support the strong flavors but crisp enough to retain a refreshing quality. The smooth, yet slightly dry finish comes with noticeable alcohol warming.

Overall: By far my favorite pumpkin ale, probably because it's a bit over the top, as am I. This is a delectable, grown up, fat slice of pumpkin pie which, while packed full with flavor, isn't so heavy that it doesn't quench your thirst.

3.81/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown, nearing black, with clear edges and a thick, dense tan head.

Smell is pumpkin, chocolate milk, nuts, with some allspice and nutmeg. As it warms, it becomes more and more like Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal milk.

Taste is spicy chocolatey pumpkin, sort of like a fall milkshake. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and nuts are also there. It gets a little hot, almost oaky. As it warms, an almost Neapolitan flavor comes forward, as well as carrot cake.

This is not as thick as I remember it, but does have some froth.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

650 ml brown bottle with no freshness date.. I am guessing this is a 2014 bottle rather than part of the 2015 batch because my bottle clearly says 8.6% abv. BA and the Southern Tier website list the alcohol at 10.0%. The website says they are kicking the alcohol up to 10.0% for 2015, so the 8.6% bottles must be from earlier years.

The beer poured a dark brown color but turned to a Dr. Pepper color when held to the light. 1½-finger mocha head that lasted about a minute before fading out and it left very little lacing.

Huge pumpkin pie smell with all the pumpkin pie spices.

Tastes like a liquid pumpkin pie with lots of cinnamon and nutmeg. Lots of caramel malt and sugar in here as well, and the finish is really sweet and slightly bitter. Their web site says it is chocolatey with a hint of coffee, but I tasted more sweet vanilla rather than chocolate and the only coffee flavor is in the bitter finish.

This is a smooth and creamy, full bodied beer with a slightly higher than average amount of carbonation.

If you're looking for a pumpkin beer that really tastes like pumpkin, look no further. This is it.

I picked this up in March so it probably has at least a year on it.

A: poured into a snifter to a deep brown beer topped by a finger of dense off white head that fades to a small collar around the edge of the glass with minimal lacing
S: smells of pumpkins and pumpkin pie spice. Everything else seems to be well hidden
T: taste is pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice with some slight roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. Swallow is roasted malts, pumpkin, coffee, and more cinnamon and the other spices
M: this beer is about a medium on the palate which feels a little light for the style. Carbonation on this one is fairly soft as well and the finish is on the dry side of things.
O: This is a pretty good pumpkin beer. The stout is a nice twist on the style and the base beer still provides a little something which is nice. It's one to try if you're into pumpkin beers.

4.34/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a Belgian tulip/snifter glass. DOB: 08/13/2015

Pours a deep dark brown to black with ruby brown hues along the edges when held up to the light. Little to no head even with an aggressive pour, what did arise dissipated quickly; no lacing.

Beautiful aromas of pumpkin pie: cinnamon, nutmeg, clove a little graham cracker. Deep roasted malts are abundant as well.

At first sip it's like biting into a piece of pumpkin pie, sweet and a little spicy and then the darker malts come in with a warm roastiness and the hops even that out even more with a slight bitterness.

Mouth feel is nice and full with a lingering cinnamon spice along the sides and tip of the tongue. No hint of this one being 10% abv...DANGEROUS!

Overall, this is a fantastic beer and has a great balance of pumpkin beer to stout! The only other comparison I have is a one-off brew by Weyerbacher: Aries; this one seems to be a little bit better with the addition of hops to off-set that sweetness. Will be buying this one again next year and kicking myself for not picking this one up before.

4.24/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark black pour.

Tastes like pumpkin pie, no joke.

The alcohol is there but also hidden, if that makes any sence. You know its there.

Spicyness, cinammon. Roasted malt. Delicious. Sweet.

Totally reminds me of a mexican horchata drink. Looooove it

4.51/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. Bomber
DOB: 08/13/15

Pours a very nice dark brown color, very nice carbonation, with a nice small quick/fizzy off-white head, which leaves minimal sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, with some nice pumpkin, nutmeg, vanilla, some roastyness. The taste is very very nice, malty, with some really nice pumpkin, nutmeg, spices, vanilla. Medium body, ABV is basically non-existant, with some really nice bitterness in the finish. Overall, this is a very tasty brew, again quite different take on the style. Always nice to drink something from ST.

4.71/5  rDev +19.2%

Beautifully smooth and creamy right out of the bottle. Taste is complex sweet-spiciness with only a mild bitterness and an overall chocolatey feel. Would go excellent with anything on the very sweet side, and tasty with my baked pumpkin dinner, too.

Pumpkin rating: Low, but the spiciness makes up for it.
Would drink again: Anytime yes now please. All year long ok with me.

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

L: pitch black with no head
S: big pumpkin, sweet like sweet potato pie!
T: rich pumpkin flavor, big a full flavored too.
F: fairly thin given the richness/style/ and full flavor
O: really good pumpkin beer and on the cheap!

4.95/5  rDev +25.3%

Ok, so I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for pumpkin anything. Especially sweets. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin flan (Uncle Julio's, west Fort Worth), pumpkin cookies with cream cheese icing. Just about my favorite part of the holiday season is the plethora of pumpkin offerings. And of all the pumpkin infused brews, this is the one I keep coming back to.

This is from a Fall 2014 bomber.
A - Pours clear black (not murky) with a small head that settles to a ring and leaves some lacing on the sides.
S - The aroma is not very strong, but what I'm picking up is mild pumpkin.
T - The flavor includes pumpkin but it does not dominate. I'm also getting some dark chocolate with bitterness on the finish.
M - Medium mouth feel, low carbonation.
O - Definitely let it warm a little. Cold out of the fridge is not the best way to enjoy this beer. I had a fresh bottle last year and I don't think a year in my cellar has changed it much. I know there is a lot of hate on BA for Pumking and maybe Warlock too, but I think both are very enjoyable. And I certainly appreciate the easy availability of these quality, seasonal beers.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am a stout and porter drinker. I love this beer! Great balance between dessert pumpkin pie and a heavy stout. I have baked pumpkin pies with Guinness and this reminds me a little of that experience. Nice rocky head at pour, thins down as it leaves lacing all the way to the finish. Great aromas of toffee, pumpkin pie, some alcohol. Taste is complex and very smooth for 10% ABV!! Wow...fabulous! If you are an imperial fan, try this. If you like light pumpkin ales, try this too.

4.49/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My bottle was 2013 vintage at 8.6% from my beer cellar.
Aged nicely at two years old. Amazing aroma of dark roasty goodness with hints of cocoa, full on chocolate and, well, PUMPKIN. But not overwhelming pumpkin--more like roasted pumpkin chunks with olive oil and some mild spices on a large cookie sheet fresh out of the oven. It's just right. Mouthfeel was full, robust and fulfilling. Beer packs a punch, and it's just where it needs to be for a satisfying pumpkin beer. Not like that watery stuff that is out there.
Loved it.

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm still thinking about how good this beer was....and that's a rare occurrence. Perfect combination of pumpkin and stout....easily the best pumpkin stout around. This will not be a stranger in my house! Well done, Southern Tier!

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours dark and stately, nice modest head. Smell of pumpkin sweetness and cocoa. Taste is mostly bland, featureless black ale with a nice complement of pumpkin spiciness. Now, I dislike the artificial-ness of the Pumking taste, but Warlock has the right amount of it for me -- just a tad. However, the underlying "imperial stout" is sadly lacking. It's not watery, it's just featureless. It's impossible to say whether it's "roasty" or "chocolatey" or "bitter" or "sweet" or "charred" or "licoricey" or any of that. It's bland black ale that manages to hold the tad of pumpkin taste, but also manages to be dominated by that tad. Drinks smoothly, and without any harshness for the abv. I can't get excited about this, but am not sorry I had it.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had during pumpkin beer share. I really enjoyed this beer. To me, there was a nice crusty pumpkin pie flavors with some chocolate added in. Would have again.

4.34/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very enjoyable sipper! Reminds me of a Brandy almost? Had a sample at bucktown at Robinson with Leah. Nicely warm going dahn the hatch! Would do again for a sipper.

4.01/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I'm not sure that some of the reviews below are of this beer... I would not call this beer cloying, especially for an imperial stout, especially by Southern Tier.

This is one of the only pumpkin beers that reminds me of a fresh pumpkin or cooked pumpkin and not "pumpkin spice" which isn't even pumpkin at the end of the day.

Its look is nothing special, its a bit lighter of color than the Mokah or Choklat but basically the same. It looks like a porter or imperial porter and I generally don't give a crap what beer looks like but the smell is incredible. It smells of caramelized pumpkin/squash, cane sugar, and milky way bars but with a distinct freshness. The taste is very malt-forward, with a traditional coffee-like flavor, which gives way to a nice but subtle hop bitterness which I think helps the pumpkinness of it seem more like real planty pumpkin and less spice. There is decent carbonation, its a bit thin for an imperial porter but if it were heavier it wouldn't be so drinkable and would be much sweeter.

Overall I enjoy this beer. It's up there with Mokah, better than Choklat.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Picked this up a few weeks back up in Totowa, having never had this before. I love most of Southern Tier's offerings and when I saw the list of hops and malts in this, I knew that I had to give it a go. Not a typical pumpkin beer, was less spicy and more full as it did indeed remind me of an American Double/Imperial Stout more than anything else!

The pour to this was indeed dark and mysterious as the beer had a thin appearance to it, a frothy head that quickly settled, and a bit of lacing that quickly slid down the side of my pint glass. Nice roasted aroma to this as the first impression of this was a strong blast of earthy hops. Vanilla and roasted chocolate were underneath that as the fullness of this beer became apparent in the back. The pumpkin puree and the hearty graham cracker-like pumpkin pie served as the base of this and really took this up to another level. I didn't think this would be so filling but it was and it even seemed like there was some sweetness in the midst of all of this, as if someone managed to stick some Cool Whip into the brew!

Strong and bold, this tasted the part but not quite as much as the 10.00% ABV would have lead me to believe. Lacking in the cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and other spices that tend to drag anything with pumpkin down, this almost reminded me of a Black IPA, since that's how hopped up and potent this was. A worthy addition to anyone's fall rotation and a beer that I can't wait to have on tap up at the Cloverleaf!

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I poured this into a snifter.
The appearance was a black color with a finger's worth of white to off white foamy head. It quickly dissipated leaving some light lacing running here and there in a messy sort of way.
The smell starts off with dark roasted chocolate malts with an eloquent pumpkin pie crust in the background (makes sense since its Pumking that has been thrown in this thing). Some spices (allspice or ginger) try to make an effort to show up, but they're super light and almost hard to decipher they're even there.
The taste was mainly pumpkin and cocoa sweet, once again, the pumpkin spices are extremely light.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a fair sessionability about it. Spices don't detract from wanting to gulp. The sweetness isn't overly cloying either (did I just use the word cloying, yeah, I think I finally understand what that means and how its used in for this beer).
Overall, is that double/imperial stout with the Pumking in it. Pumking might have a cult following, but to me, I think I'd much rather prefer this one as there's more balance.

4.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle poured into a Hefe glass....yeah I know. I had a Hefe glass handy and was feeling lazy.

Wonderful seasonal. Pours as dark brown as possible without being black. Thin head with pretty good staying power, leaving only a little soapy looking lacing.

Smells and tastes like a fresh pumpkin pie. That it is 10% ABV floors me. I felt no alcohol burn...actually might have liked a tad more. But it's absolutely delicious.

Gotta run back to Harley's tomorrow. Hope they still have some.

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a very dark brown, tan head, pretty minimal foam which dissipates quickly. Aroma is strong pumpkin and gingerbread, some cinnamon and vanilla coming through as well. Pumpkin spice is up front on the taste, I'm really loving how the gingerbread is featured heavily as well. Nice overall spice assortment, the roasted/burnt malt notes coming through at the end are a pleasant way to finish the experience. Somewhat thick and milky mouthfeel, fitting of the overall Warlock offering. Smooth, with what feels like the right amount of carbonation (minimal). Really a robust and tasty fall brew from Southern Tier! For what it's worth, I'd probably get this over Pumking.

L: Really pretty dark color
S: This smells really good, like autumn spiciness, and the pumpkin doesn't punch you in the face, which is nice.
T: Delicious, just enough sweetness.
F: Very smooth, not too foamy or carbonated.
O: Excellent fall beer.