Pilz | Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak Brewing Company
Texas, United States
liveoakbrewing.com

Style: Bohemian Pilsener

Styled after the Bohemian classic, Pilz is a crisp golden pilsner with an assertive hop character. With special Moravian heirloom barley malt, a traditional decoction mash creates a firm yet light body and deep golden color. Cold fermentation with a Czech lager yeast and lengthy secondary conditioning produce a brilliant beer that highlights the spicy and grassy Saaz hops. Authenticity in a glass; Pilz is beer.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2003

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

Disclaimer - I've only had this beer once and it was after I survived 1+ hours trying to give Rahr's beers a fair taste at their Saturday tasting (read mad house with free beer) recently (March 2008).

I happened upon the Gingerman in Fort Worth and after trying about 5 tastes of nothing special, I LOCKED onto Live Oak Pilsener! Whow what a treat! It was my life ring in a day of swarming beer sloshers at Rahr. This beer is a true Bohemian Pilz. Arguably my favorite pilsener of all time behind Tony Gomes' Saxer Pilsener.

I brought in my own pilsener glass and after about the 4th try the bartender poured it in the proper way. Slam it to the bottom from maximum height. Let it sit for 4 or 5 minutes and then nurse more gently down the side. A rocky snow cone head formed and rose about 1.5 inches above the rim.

The color is golden (didn't pay that much attention) but was opalescent as I remember Saxer's legendary product. The taste was clean and refreshing but the aftertaste is the grabber. It didn't lock my jaws as Tony's did but it dig grab me mid pallet and LINGERED! That's what I look for in a Pils and Live Oak delivered! Could it be that this sensation requires a decoction mash, or maybe a double?

I've been searching high and low lo 10+ years to find a replacement for my favorite, and now defunct, Pils and I've found a worthy substitute. And, in all places, Texas! I'd written off anything brewed in Tejas until I had this beer. Here's to hoping my second encounter will equal the first! Truly a World Class Pilsener! Bob SNOB from Washington / Portland

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

On my previous review of this brew, I think my palate must have been slightly off due to previous tastings.

This beer has an excellent balance of strong grassy somewhat citrusy hops with a slightly sweet malt to balance everything out. The after taste is awesome as the hop bitterness leaves you wanting more.

As I said above, this is a great Czech Pilsner. If you like a highly hopped brew with some good balance, this is your brew. One of my faves brewed right here in Austin!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The platonic ideal of a pilsner. Like most things Live Oak, better than most German versions of the same beer, while still holding true to the style.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Favorite pilsener! The lemon quality is exactly what I want out of one.

4.24/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +7.4%

I was busy during this review so it isn't as in depth.

Nice thick head with great retention. Nice amber color.

Taste is simple. some pale malts and nice hop bitterness. Pilsners tend to be good and simple, and this one is no exception.

Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing.

This beer is ridiculously well balanced and easy to drink.

Not a whole lot going on, but really good.

Pilz from Live Oak Brewing Company