Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

#370

Ratings: 1,644 |  Reviews: 461

amazing, clove laced hefe

Believe Da Hype. Best HefeWeizen I have ever had. It even puts the German Originals to shame! Seriosuly. On-Tap *MANY* times at the gingerman in Austin, Texas. Light/ruddy golden yellow with a nice frothy head of white that lasts and leaves great German lacing. My glass is adorned with a lemon, wtf!? let's try this one sans lemon first. Aromas are all classic hefe. Banana, spicy yeast, clove, a bit of lemon, etc. Not overly complex nor bland. Just right in the middle and *perfect*. Taste follows through in a big way. Big brash wheaty hefe flavors of banana, cloves, citrus, and other spices just balance each other out into a bready, wheaty, yeasty masterpiece of drinkability. Mouthfeel is smooth just the right weight and perfect. Drinkability would be a 6 if I could rate it above 5. Just for the hell of it I drank this one with the lemon too, as it seems that's how all the locals drink it down here in the 100 degree Texas heat. All the lemon did was accentuate the citrus flavors already present in this awe-inspiring beer, and cut some of the grainy wheaty flavors that are awesome. It's amazing either way, you can't hurt this beer. This beer is the man. I don't even want to give it a 5, because I thought I would never, ever, give a hefe a 5! Hefes arent even my favorite style of brew anymore at all and they havent been for a while! It doesn't matter at all though, just like moonlights reality czech garnered a 5 rating from me as well, this beer is just the perfect example of this style. Hefe can not get any better than this and so it gets the big 5 from me. Just drink this whenever you get the chance. Drink it all up, because you will miss it when it is not available to you anymore. Sure the bar I drank a bunch of this in had about 80 other beers on tap. so what! Everytime I walked through the doors, I was pretty much ordereing 1,2,3, or more of these beauties...I was only in Texas for a few days, and by the time I left everyone knew this was "my beer". I wish it could be "my beer" here at home, but it can't be so i'll just be happy I got to quaff a bunch of this in the capital of Texas, and plan my next trip with a two day layover in Austin! Live Oak may not be the best brewery in the world, or even on the continent, or even in the country, or even in the state of Texas!, but as far as I am concerned they brew the best hefe in the world!

This is my 241st review and only my third perfect five. This is the epitome of the style as it poured a beautifully lightly cloudy caramel color with a massive light off-white head. The aromas of bananas, clove, and light wheat notes bellowed from this beer. The taste was a very creamy repeat of the aroma with a smoothness out of this world. This was a medium bodied beer and it drinks down with way too much ease! We were told that this batch was young, but how can it get any better?!?! Live Oak is a brewery that makes some quality brews! Cheers to this Texas brewery!

The perfect Hefeweizen. So fresh and tasty. High carbonation. Would dominate the beer world if it were distributed.

Damn. I hate giving perfect scores, makes me sound like a rank amateur cheerleading his Friday-night standard. But sorry, I must remain true to my standards and admit that this brew has earned my first ever straight all-fives. Overall, an absolutely flawless product.

Pours cloudy and golden. The aroma comes out to welcome you with esters all over along with faint yeast and bubble gum, a little cream butter as well.

The taste is thick, rich, bready with a buttery sweetness. The flavors are mild with banana, white pepper and cloves present in the background, not overpowering. Subtlety is the watchword and fresh is best. Texture is smooth and velvety with a moderately heavy mouthfeel.

Balance is what earns this brew a perfect score. I've had fresh hefeweizens with strong fruit and clove elements but this beer is so delicately made so as flavors come together in a symphony instead of individual components. Even as it warmed in a plastic cup, the flavors remained nuanced and complementary, never turning or tiring towards the inevitable warmer end. Nothing dominates, thus everything works. The palate never tires and I could drink this all day.

Cheers to BeerAngel for his tip on enjoying this fresh from the source. I owe him a beer for this new favorite of mine.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company