Live Oak HefeWeizen | Live Oak Brewing Company

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Ratings: 1,623 |  Reviews: 455
4.72/5  rDev +8.3%

A - It pours an orangey-peachy hue, pretty straight-up for the style; not so much head but that is likely from jostling the growler too much.

S - Way good aromas. Lots of banana nut bread, and the wild earthiness of a nice Saison, too.

T - The smell is exceptional; it is totally within the range of the traditionl Hefe, but it has an edge. I can't quite ascertain what that edge is, but it has a very dynamic flavor combination going on. Suggestions of banana and and a nutty-bready nuance, per usual, but additionally there is a slightly sour hay funk. Just a phenomenal Hefe, worthy of the hype.

M - Muy Buena. Wait, that's Texican; against BA rules, oui? I've had better mouthfeel from some of the traditional German Hefes, but this one tastes so good. And it could be that the growler-ing hurt the feel.

D - Seek this one out. It is outstanding.

4.72/5  rDev +8.3%

64 ounce blank brown growler received in a trade a few hours ago from JonathanL7890, glad somebody was nice enough to fill this for you, thanks for giving me the opportunity to try this top twenty beer, split with a friend tonight, poured into my large Bell's stein

A-Golden yellow color with tints of orange, murky and cloudy, big one and a half inch foamy white head that stuck around for upwards of five minutes, nice retention and some lacing at the beginning

S-Lots of wheat, nice orange peel aroma, cloves, coriander, ginger, various other spices, tons of banana that never went away, more citrus, apricot, grains, barley, and bready malt scents

T-Started off with a subtle orange taste, some biscuit and bread in the middle, finishes with some lemon juice and other citrus zest, later I began tasting some spices in the finish that had a big clove flavor, wheat provided a nice chewiness along with the bready malt, as it warmed it only became slightly sweeter, I could drink this beer all day, finally tasted some banana towards the end with more spice in the aftertaste, changed over time but never got any worse as far as taste goes, much different when it is cold because of its crispness, prefer it at room temperature to get all the different fruity tastes, incredible balance between grainy flavors and fruitiness, so easy to drink and flavorful at the same time

M-Chewy and creamy mouthfeel, nice crisp level of carbonation, surprisingly medium to thick body, which was a first for a hefeweizen, heavy and aggressive, long lasting taste, not too sweet

D-Could drink two growlers in a sitting, okay that might be an exaggeration but you get the idea of how easy this stuff is to drink, not heavy at all, no alcohol present in the flavor, low ABV from what my body is telling me even though it is not stated here on the site, and would make a fantastic session beer

Drank five days after it was filled and still popped when I opened the lid, tasted as fresh as any other beer would be, amazing it held up so well, best hefeweizen I have ever had, highest drinkability out of any beer I have ever had as well, would love to have again in the future, maybe when I decide to visit Texas soon, highly recommended

4.72/5  rDev +8.3%

Served in a proper weizen glass, pours a hazy pale gold color topped by a generous, chunky 3 fingers worth of head. Looks quite nice.

And smells even better. Good zesty lemon up front, then dominant clove abounds while a mild, powdery bubblegum scent lingers on the back end. Beautiful.

Thank goodness this isn't the banana-bomb I'd feared it may be. Clove-driven all the way with a wonderful wheat-y finish (while totally avoiding the cereal mash tendency many beers have). A gently sweet aftertaste (bubblegum again) lingers.

Mouthfeel is good and chewy although carbonation is a bit subdued (which may have more to do with the method of packaging and shipping). Drinkability is ridiculous and I want more. Oh, look! I have more! Simply outstanding and it is rare that I get this excited about a hefe as they tend to be on the low end of my favorite styles.

Huge thanks to chadspivey for the growler(s), you're a star.

4.72/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Damn this was good. Had from HEB in a growler. This is the best beer I have ever had from a Texas Brewer. Seems straight from Munich - great hefe. This has the typical look and lacing but the freshness was almost pungent. Great feel and a very fresh beer. I think I want to give HEB 5 stars as well for provision this

4.72/5  rDev +8.3%

In my quest for a better beer in the Hefeweizen category, I had stumbled upon this delectable brew one day on BA.com. Seeing the outstanding reviews, I knew I had to try it come my trip to ACL music festival. I shared a pitcher of it, which was a whopping $16! "Better be worth it, or you're paying for it." my friend said.

The following characteristics soon would shut him up:
Appearance: Dull, cloudy orange. I called it "yeasty heaven". About a 3 inch, cotton-white head which lasted for about 30 minutes in the pitcher and 5 minutes in my glass. Excellent lacing ensued.

Aroma: There was a low and dull aroma of wheat coupled with a sweet smell, not associated with malt.

Taste: A sweet, estery taste with lingering yeast taste. Coupled with an orange slice, it gives the beer a small tinge of citrus.

Mouthfeel: Medium-Light and frothy in the mouth. Almost no cabonation to speak of. My friend described the beer as "dangerously smooth".

Overall, this ended up taking top rank in the Hefe category for myself. This beer is easily one of the best period in my book.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.71/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: A dark and cloudy golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention, and lace is left behind.
S: Huge citrus, tart lemon, banana, and peppery/clove aromas. Yeast, baked bread, husky wheat in spades. This is very pleasant and appealing to say the least.
T: Follows the nose nicely. The flavors are all very tart and sharp. That great hefeweizen yeast is oh so present. Plenty of citrus, banana, and clove again. Baked bread. Excellent.
M/D: Medium body and very dry and crisp. Smooth and creamy at the same time. Very refreshing. Incredibly easy to drink. Did I say this was smooth? I can session this all day long.

Probably the best American made hefe, and without a doubt the best beer made in Texas. This is a classic, and a review is not good enough to describe this beauty. Pretty much as good as it gets.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this in my Secret Santa package from ballewblake. Thanks for everything once again Blake. Never thought I would try this.

A- Pours a very nice golden hazy yellow color. Good size one finger bone white head that dies down after a minute or two. Nice lacing was left on the sides of the glass the entire beer.

S- Very nice wheaty bready smell comes on first. Banana and light clove notes make up a big portion of the nose as a whole. This smells clean...kind of hard to explain what I mean.

T- The tastes in this beer are amazing. Everything is big and long with the tastes. Nice yeasty taste hits perfect with the clove banana. No one flavor takes over the other until the end when the banana seems to be the last flavor that gently fades away.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was perfect for this beer. Kind of a creamy mouthfeel as well. Clove and banana is left on the palate well after the sips are done. This is also true with the aftertaste. Very clean taste and flavors are sharp!

D- This is just wow! I was very glad to have gotten the chance to try this beer. This has to be one of the top 3 Hefeweizen I have ever had. Hands down this is the best American Hefeweizen I have tasted.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Ginger Man in Austin. Ratings are relative to the style.

A: beautiful, hazy gold with one finger of creamy white head. Moderate amounts of foamy lace on the glass. Gorgeous!

S: citrus, banana, wheat, creamy malt. If each ingredient were a tad more forward this would be a 5.0. The aroma invites you to take a sip...

T: lemon-citrus up front, turns creamy & malty with delicious wheat flavor showing itself strongly by the drink's end. Hints of banana linger after you swallow, temping you to taste again. This is among the best hefs I've ever tasted.

M: nearly full-bodied and unexpectedly creamy! Medium carbonation with a mild sting on your tongue as it lingers. Can't imagine anything better in this dept.

D: far too easy to drink. Goes down easily and is quite refreshing. I can't see myself ever not being in the mood for one of these. The ultimate session hef.

The only other hefeweizen I'd consider on par with this is the Augustiner Hefeweizen. Last I had it was before my days on BA, and unfortunately they don't ship that particular brew to the USA. Would love to compare them in a single sitting someday. But until then, I'm content crowning this brew Best Of Style.

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

Thanks JDV for the opportunity to try this one also my first growler ever. Might as well start of with one of the best

Growler poured into my Ayinger Weizen Glass produced a good two fingers worth of head that settled down to a nice layer of lace on top of a cloudy apricot colored body It is a gorgeous looking Hefeweizen I wouldn't believe that a growler would keep this much carbonation

Aromas on this one is striking as well, you get wonderful banana bread in a glass type smell (bananas, cloves, Bread dough) Bubblegum as well

Yes wheat banana bread in a glass flavors as well a nice citrus bite

Mouthfeel is exceptional a little heaver than I expected for a wheat beer, nice crisp carbonation on your tongue.

Great drinking Hefeweizen I'll repeat the statements made before me I cant believe it was this good coming from a growler. Thanks again to JDV on shipping it right. If you have the fortunes to get a growler I say go for it. My new favorite Hefeweizen

4.69/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.69/5  rDev +7.6%

Got this from Bgthang in a trade, thanks! I've been looking for this one for awhile.

Slightly cloudy yellow bodyw with a good sized head that dissapates quickly.

Smells great. Bannanas, clove and peppery yeasts, wheat. Definitely the best smelling-wheat beer I have encountered. Balanced aroma, excellent.

Taste follows the aroma, a great heffeweizen. Up front is the bannana and peppery yeast flavor and then the slight clove taste. Finishes with a good wheat bite and just a touch of citrus. Great heffeweizen. Mouthfeel is excellent also, just creamy enough for a heffe.

Exremely drinkable, my first Bomber dissappeared way to quickly. The best heffeweizen I have tried yet.

4.69/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a light golden, somewhat hazy with lively carbonation and a medium creamy white head. Pretty good retention. Great on the nose. Banana, bubblegum, lemon zest, and light clove. Very inviting to say the least. Taste is also wonderful. A nice faint hoppiness that adds another dimension to this brew. Still banana and bubblegum which is more faint here. A very nice wheat flavor, doughy bread. Light clove and spice. Just mouth-watering. Soft and crisp but with a delicate creaminess, hard to explain. It's lovely and goes down far too easy. I need a growler of this stuff some time.

Cheers to tprokop7 for this most excellent treat!

4.69/5  rDev +7.6%

I got this properly bottled from a growler sample from brandoneast in a trade. Thanks Brandon!

This pours (after a nice fizz upon opening) a straw yellow with some orange hues with about an inch of foam. Holding the glass up, it looks like the classical hefeweizen. Very promising, me thinks. Head retention and lacing were not this brews strong points but it's still going to score decent because of the look of it.

The smell is wow. Lots of wheat and clove and lemon zest and other fruitiness. Very inviting.

The taste is great. All of the smells I noted are there in the flavour too. Delicious notes of corriander, clove, wheat, lemon, bubblegum, and an overall yeastiness that kicks major ass! It's going down way too easy so I better slow down. ;^)

It has a lightish mouthfeel and the carbonation is light as well. Appropriate for the style.

Drinkability? I'd say, judging by how quickly the 12oz bottle's contents are disappearing....great. This *is* an awesome Hefeweizen and I'm pleased as punch that I got to try it. Thanks again, Brandon!

4.69/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

4.69/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

Received a hand bottled umm bottle in a trade after the growler broke in transit. Curse you UPS!

Pours a striking glowing gold, almost fluorescent. Very cool looking. Minimal head that quickly disappeared.

Lots of pear and citrus aromas, some banana. No clove.

Beer is very effervescent, well carbonated. Slightly tart. Loads of banana, only a very faint clove taste. Light bready taste. Green Apples, lemons, citrus all over. Some vanilla notes. Moderate body, surprising with all the carbonation. Bit of an odd aftertaste, not a clean finish.

Heard a lot of hype about this, especially from my friends in Texas. I must say, it lived up to the hype. A fantastic American Hefe, balanced, fruity, and unique. I would dare to say this is the best American style Hefeweizen in the US.
Live Oak would have a surefire hit if they released this in bottles, especially with distribution.

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%

Had this in Houston for Monday's Flying Saucer pint night.

Simply stated, this is a beer I dream about. The pour from bar was served with intentionally no head and presented a cloudy lemonade yellow. The nose I can't get out of my head - bubblegum, banana, clove, and lightly shaved lemon zest. The amazing aroma softened the paralleled aroma but added a meddling candi taste which lends an exceptional drinkability and had a nice feel. Chip has not only created a benchmark HefeWeizen but BA's #14 beer on Earth and #10 American Beer!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured this from a growler into a weizen glass. Thanks very much to screach for the trade and especially for getting it here so quick.

Appears a cloudy golden color with a one inch white head that is slowly rising above the rim. Ends up leaving some very nice lacing down the side of the glass.

The aroma is the perfect balance of clove and banana. At first the banana seems to dominate but with a deeper inhale the clove is right there with it and they blend together wonderfully. There are also some less noticeable bubble gum and apple esters. All that plus the wheat malt makes this one the tops.

Similar to the aroma there is an initial banana ester character but it quickly blends with the tangy breadiness of the wheat malt and then the clove flavor comes out in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, not quite as light as many Hefeweizens. It has a nice creamy consistency to it as well. Extremely drinkable and gets even better as it warms up a little bit. I had no problem finishing the growler in one sitting.

This one was very enjoyable for sure. Almost reminds me of a homebrew that I made but this one is better. This one is actually not overrated.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company