Live Oak HefeWeizen | Live Oak Brewing Company

#373

Ratings: 1,653 |  Reviews: 462
4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

4.31/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy, well carbed, banana/clove flavors integrated well. Not overly yeasty. Finishes clean and delicious. Best Hefe in all the land? I don't know, I'm not qualified to answer that. I would drink the shit out of this everyday if I could though.

3.58/5  rDev -17.7%

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Had on tap during a trip to Austin.

Poured a cloudy golden yellow with a nice, white head. The beer smelled of bubblegum, citrus and banana. The taste was very similar with some wheat added in. I have had this beer several times and it is one of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. I have no problem drinking several of them in a row and enjoy every drop.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

This is the premier American Hefeweizen, no one else comes close. The perfect beer for a hot Texas summer day. While the style is down, this is the cream of the crop.

4.35/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz can, served in an hefeweizen glass.

Pours a slightly hazy golden-darker yellow body, two finger white head, good retention, medium collar, not much lacing. Smells of bubble gum, clove, banana esters, wheat, light caramel, grainy sweetness. Smells like a sharp hefeweizen, not as well rounded as some of its best German counterparts, but it's unmistakably an hefe. Flavour is fairly authentic hefeweizen; dominant banana esters, clove, touch of bubble gum, grainy wheat, light grassy bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and almost a tad bit creamy, good carbonation, super easy to drink. Overall, a very good hefeweizen; it's sort of like a more balanced version of most American hefeweizens which tend to be hopped up. This is balanced and seems to taste more authentic although I am not doing this blind with Weihenstephaner or Franziskaner, of course. That may be an experiment to do later on.

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Out of a growler.... many thanks to Dyan for sharing this beauty with me.

The beer pours a rich hazy, honey gold flavor with huge (initially) pillowy head and very good head lacing. I assume this beer is completely unfiltered, as I see quite a bit of goop (dead yeast?) floating around near the bottom of my glass. What surprises me right off, is just how thick and viscuous this beer looks, something I rarely see in a hefe. On the nose this beer is nearly as impressive, with a huge aroma of clove and allspice, coupled with some light banana and cinnamon. The flavors on the palate replicate the nose, with just a hint of sour on the finish. The flavor profile includes a good deal of "wheatiness," which is to be expected in this kind of beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, but not at all heavy; rich, but never tiring. Somehow this beer is very soooth, but still crisp and light on the finish. Alcohol is very well disguised, and the light sour on the finish enhances drinkability here. This beer is at most moderately sweet, but then finishes with the classic dry, spicey, German hefeweizen finish.

This beer is very impressive and clearly lives up to its reputation and all the hype. Along with the hefeweizen from Block 15, as good a domestic hefe as I've ever had. Very well done.

4.64/5  rDev +6.7%

A softish pour produces an almost one finger thick, pale, tan tinged head that sits on top of a deeply hazy, straw colored beer. When held up directly to the light it picks up some orange tints, but is still completely opaque. The aroma is quite hearty, lots of yeast notes from, surprise - surprise, actual yeast as well as ample clove notes, a hint of banana and lots of wheat / grain aromas. This last supplies some wheat-tartness, aromas of crushed saltine crackers and a rich, chewy, crushed grain aroma. The tartness accentuates a touch of fruitiness reminiscent of something like a cross between a pear and tropical fruit. This is just very hearty smelling for a HefeWeizen & quite enjoyable, the depth of the grain character is quite nice.

Not as thick as I was expecting based on the rich aromas, instead it has a nice light texture & heft to it like a good HefeWeizen should. I was half expecting / dreading that this was going to be overly under-attenuated, I am quite happy it is not. Perceived sweet notes linger on the palate with a mix of clove and banana notes. Soft and creamy, yet with a prickly carbonation, this beer has a certain viscousness to it that coats the palate, but does not keep this from being light and quaffable. Lightly tart, which accentuates a very soft fruitiness, but mostly plays up the chewy wheat flavors. This has lots of grain character to it; chewy, slightly dried-grass like, a bit of hay, a full wheat grain flavor and a crushed cracker note. The finish has a mix of clove flavors, light hop bitterness and a slight, herbal hop flavor.

As the beer warms a bit the banana flavors become a bit more accented & this accentuates an up front, grain sweetness. This is eminently quaffable; there is just enough sweetness to accentuate some soft fruit, clove and grain character. Really it is the fresh grain character that makes this beer so tasty; I can't remember having a HefeWeizen that tasted fresher and the vibrant grain character is what is driving this vibrancy. This only gets tastier and more well balanced as it warms up. I am towards the end of my 22oz serving and am finding myself wishing for more; the banana is definitely much more noticeable than the clove that was more noticed at the cooler temps, but it is still not overly much. This is a damn tasty HefeWeizen, a style that I have forgotten how good it can actually be if done correctly; this is certainly one of the finest examples that I have had, my guess is that they use a Decoction mash; there is almost no better way to get such a vibrant grain character into a beer. Fantastic!

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%

Ditmier provided a growler of the Live Oak Hefe to get the ball rolling at Friday night's tasting... I had quite a few pours of this over the course of the night... Thanks Eric.

Hazy lite pale golden... nice head.. sorta creamy looking.

Nose is more estery than phenolic with bananas coming in ahead of the cloves... Smell is very fresh.

Flavor is pretty much the same as the aroma... bready with the above noted components.. I think what makes this a standout in the hefe category is that even though we're all getting it in growlers from Texas.... it is still a whole hell of alot more fresh than the bottles from the motherland. medium body with a fair amount of carbonation that somehow still seems pretty creamy.

Really glad I got to try this again... had a few pours at the GABF.. but this was very nice... I would buy it all the time if it was available, but for now.. I will have to just enjoy my SN Kellerwiess.

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

Big thanks to JLindros for sharing this beer. Poured into a tulip.

A - Pours a nice hazy golden hue with a thin sudsy head that faded at typical rate to leave a nice halo.

S - A wonderful hefe aroma explodes upon opening. Tons of banana and clove along with some light orange/tangerine notes.

T - Again, wonderfully done with sweet, ripe banana , bright cloves and Corrianne, nice typical hefe spice profile.

M - Nice lightly creamy, slightly dry finish. Excellent.

O - Overall, this was a delicious hefe. Not sure how easy it is to get these growlers, but I'd love to get some more.

4.69/5  rDev +7.8%

I got this properly bottled from a growler sample from brandoneast in a trade. Thanks Brandon!

This pours (after a nice fizz upon opening) a straw yellow with some orange hues with about an inch of foam. Holding the glass up, it looks like the classical hefeweizen. Very promising, me thinks. Head retention and lacing were not this brews strong points but it's still going to score decent because of the look of it.

The smell is wow. Lots of wheat and clove and lemon zest and other fruitiness. Very inviting.

The taste is great. All of the smells I noted are there in the flavour too. Delicious notes of corriander, clove, wheat, lemon, bubblegum, and an overall yeastiness that kicks major ass! It's going down way too easy so I better slow down. ;^)

It has a lightish mouthfeel and the carbonation is light as well. Appropriate for the style.

Drinkability? I'd say, judging by how quickly the 12oz bottle's contents are disappearing....great. This *is* an awesome Hefeweizen and I'm pleased as punch that I got to try it. Thanks again, Brandon!

4.49/5  rDev +3.2%

Growler shared by 321Jeff complements of I don't know who.

Pours a hazy straw golden color with a thin white head that has nice retention but little lacing or depth. Aroma is a amazingly well balanced blend of typical hefe aromas of yeast, clove, wheat and banana. Strongest notes are wheat and spice with a little pepper in the background. Medium thick bodied with strong fine carbonation. Wheat and clove dominate the flavor, followed by pepper and a mild tangy citrus. Banana, yeast and lemon flavors are present as well but not quite as pronounced as some other versions of this style. Overall incredibly drinkable and refreshing; one of the most well balanced hefes I've ever had.

3.98/5  rDev -8.5%

From 64oz growler to Hess imperial pint glass on 5/30/12
*From notes

-- A big thanks goes out to siege06nd for saving me a good portion of this growler to take home. I really do appreciate it. Cheers, John! --

A: Cloudy and murky dirty yellow. Gorgeous stuff. A good pour yields a white 2.25 finger head. Tons of lacing and a thick, dense collar rim the glass. Some very minor white floaties swim in the glass. If I didn't know, I might mistake this for a Heady Topper.

S: Banana peel, cream, cool caramel, hints of raw vanilla batter and as it warms, I get a pronounced amount of cinnamon.

T: Very subtle. A bit acidic up front, followed by overly ripe banana and maybe a touch of yeast. Hints of cracked cloves hit next, yet it's not as in your face as some in the style. This is much more balanced. The finish is slightly fruity and quite creamy. As it lingers, it displays a slight tang.

M: Not great, but I'll credit that to the already opened growler loosing some of it's oomph on my way home. It's fairly light bodied for a wheat based ale, though it's also a tad watery, too. I'd like to see a bit more finesse, yet I enjoy how easy this is to quaff.

O: A very well done Hefe. I can't say it's better then Weihenstephaner's, which to me is tops in-style, but for an American interpretation, this is really very good. Easy on the palate, yet complex enough to hold my attention for the long haul. Well done. I can see why this is such a highly regarded brew. Thanks again, John!

4.52/5  rDev +3.9%

I have had this once before years ago from a growler. Being in Texas, I had to give this another go. On tap at the Ginger Man in Dallas.

(A)- Pours a hazy golden yellow/orange color. Some really good froth and lacing left behind in the glass.

(S)- Bright and vibrant lemon zest and biscuit - like clove. Bits of bubblegum and a very subtle banana as it warms.

(T)- Just like the smell. A lovely crisp lemon peel with dry biscuit-like yeast. Very mellow bubblegum and clove letting the fruit and yeast do the work.

(M)- Such a crisp and smooth tasting beer. It is perhaps a lighter representation of the style I have had, but not lacking flavor by any means.

(O)- Easily one of the best Hefe's in the world. So light, but crisp and flavorful. A keg of this in my house (if I could) would not last long at all. And from my past experience with this beer, fresh and on tap; there is so substitute.

*Original Review ___

Growler poured into a tulip. Crazy thanks to Beerwolf77 for sharing the wealth!

(A)- Pours a cloudy orange hue that produced a decent white head that dissipated after awhile. (3.5)

(S)- Lots of ripe banana with a really nice clove aroma. Minimal lemon, but crisp. Some awesome wheat notes. Kind of a rustic character to it. (4.5)

(T)- Crisp, with a mellow banana/lemon profile. Nice dry wheat aspect with a telltale bubblegum finish. (4)

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. A nice crispness to it. Smooth & mellow. (4)

(D)- Definitely a solid Hefeweiss for sure. Smooth and easy drinking even for the style.(4.5)

4.63/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%