Live Oak HefeWeizen | Live Oak Brewing Company

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Reviews: 441 | Ratings: 1,541
2.43/5  rDev -44.3%

Came with a finger's worth of bone-white head with low retention. Nose was heavy on banana with an undercurrent of clove. Color was a hazy golden-yellow. Mouthfeel was medium with a LOT of banana esters on the tongue. Stylistically, a great example, especially for an American brewer, but for me, I was shiveringly cold on it. Finish was not a total fruit bomb, but it was too close for my liking. Cloves, people! Fermentation at lager temps, please.

4.62/5  rDev +6%

Growler care of jefferz5000. Thanks so much Jeff for working with me over the course of like 2 months to get this in time to share with my hefeweizen loving friend who was visiting this weekend.

Multiple glasses poured from a growler into a weizen glass. It appears a cloudy yellow color with a finger of white head. The powers of retension are pretty decent and the lacing on the glass is quite interesting. Initially the head sticks in a layer of webbing all around the top as the head fades but as the experience continues it shows faint spots about the glass while sips are taken and it is swirled.

The aroma of live oak's hefeweizen is a perfect balance of light clove spice, banana, citrus and fruit. There are even minor suggestions of bubblegum that come through the back of the nose. This is a mighty fine smelling hefeweizen.

The taste of this offering is exactly what you would expect based off of the aroma's indication: banana, clove, fruitiness, light spicey character and bubblegum. It is lightly sweet upfront with a grainy/wheat flavor. The aftertaste includes spices like clove and mild wheaty grans with light suggestiosn of everything that was mentioned in both the aroma and initial taste.

This is a medium to light bodied brew that is modestly carbonated. A very drinkable offering with no indication of alcohol but is so fully flavored for a wheat beer. It has the perfect blend of flavors with the typical wheat, clove and banana but this offering is balanced perfectly and no single characteristic rises to be more dominant than the other. It just works perfectly together. Once the beer reaches warmer temperatures a slight presence of the alcohol starts to peak out and enhance the spice of the clove.

Heading into this, I was very skeptical about how good it was going to be. I am very picky about the hefeweizen style and this one really lived up to what I was expecting. If you havent had this one yet, you need to.

3.34/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

32 oz. growler poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Hazy. Medium white head. Golden body.

Smell - Spicy. Wow. Super phenolic. Clove. Spice. Intense. Some pale malts.

Taste - Wheat. Doughy malts. Spice builds quickly. Intense phenolic spice. More clove than banana.

Mouthfeel - Well carbonated. Medium body.

Overall - Well made, but really spicy.

4.66/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Body is a very cloudy, very yellow wheaty color, almost seems to glow; looks amazing. The head is pretty small for a hefe but sticks around for a while, and the smaller head is probably due to being in a growler a few days anyway. (EDIT: I gave a much more aggressive pour for my second glass and the head was a lot better.)

Smell is intense yeast, lots of sweet banana, cloves and light peppery spice. Got to be the sweetest most intense nose I've smelled on a hefeweizen.

And the taste is just as good or better. So much banana! So much yeast. Just a reall intense and delicious wheat character, mild pepper and clove and mild tartness to provide balance. Truly delicious.

Mouthfeel is incredibly creamy, very well carbed, very full and rich body. Excellent.

This is definitely the best hefeweizen I've had. I was 't sure what to expect or what was supposed to make this beer exceptional but now I get it; it's really a classic hefe taste but just so intense and perfectly executed. Heavy on the sweetness and banana, light on the spice and tartness. Fantastic beer.

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big, big thanks to hopsleeroy for sending me a growler of this brew (along with a Texas-sized box of extras). The growler was pitcher-filled (due to Texas law) on January 12th, but it was filled to the brim and taped so much that it took me a good 5 minutes to even get it open. Drank it out of my weizen glass.

A - Pours a milky golden yellow color - the hue lightens towards the bottom of the glass which is kind of unusual. Huge, huge creamy white foam that dissipates very slowly and leaves a nice amount of lacing. Lots of visible carbonation in this one. I'm not really sure what more I can expect here...

S - Really serious breadiness - like fresh cornbread. Some cloves, but not as much banana as you'd expect. This smells heavier and more serious than other hefeweizens I've had. There's a little bit of bubblegum and yeast character too. Yummy, but doesn't leap out of the glass.

T - This is like drinking liquid cornbread - sweet malt character mixed with spices, yeasts, and a touch of citrus. It starts out sweet but has a little bit of bite at the top of the palate. Leaves a sweet bready aftertaste.

M - Smooth, creamy, with some carbonation tingle that complements the spice in the flavor. It's light and refreshing like a hefe should be.

D - The only thing stopping this from being a perfect score is availability. I thought I'd be bringing the rest of this growler to a party tomorrow, but there is no way it's going to last that long! Tastes like low ABV, and crazily sessionable.

This stands up to the best German hefeweizens and probably exceeds them.

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

A long time target short list want provided with great speed by a wonderful stand-up BA that I will just randomly send beer to from now on.

Poured from a growler into a wheat beer glass. I was nervous about the growler but when I cranked the top I heard the tell tale "HISS" of carbon escaping and a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Beer is dark yellow and completely opaque, huge haze to it. It forms an aggressive and full head of small to medium bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is steady and moderate. This beer looks beautiful.

The aroma is in your face with this beer. Its not quite like a wheat wine but it pushes that boundary for sure. Strong banana and cloves. Completely fills my face with this aroma. I could smell it from a couple of feet away. It is SO good.

Wonderful flavor as well. First, this is the most drinkable beer I've ever had. Greater than 5 IMO. Medium body, slightly more body than I was expecting, but its still wonderful. Some good sweetness up front and a lot of good flavor in the back with a nice wheaty feeling to it. Great ester characters throughout the palate and beer. Gets better the more you drink. Just spectacular. The carbonation give the beer a slight sourness that helps connectivitiy. This is seriously one of the best BEERS I have ever had.

This is seriously one of my favorite beers. I should look into getting a keg of this because I would make it my daily drinker. Its a cruel set of circumstances that I am in DC and this beer is in Austin. I have an outstanding ISO Live Oak Hefeweizen out from now on.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 64 ounce growler - thanks poonamibaxter!

A: Hazy light orange-copper, creamy white head, noticeable carbonation. Wow this held up extremely well in the growler!

S: Banana, hay, bubblegum, wheat, peach and some very faint orange notes. The nose isn't overwhelming but there is nothing you need to really search for.

T: Literally, this is damn near perfect. Banana notes explode throughout the palate with some white peach, strawberry and a twist of lemon. Banana and bubblegum are definitely the focus of the taste but it's done so well, it's pretty ridiculous. Some clove and spice in the finish to provide that final level of complexity.

M: Bubbly, a bit thick for the style (I love it) and extremely creamy mouth feel overall. Fantastic.

Honestly, one of the best domestically brewed Hefeweizens you will find in the country. It's a shame this is a Texas-only beer but it is worth every bit of effort to seek it out. Would LOVE another growler, this is going to go quickly...

4.21/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The clove and yeast aroma is standard, but this beer blossoms on your tongue. I'm immediately struck by the balance, starting with toasted and doughy malts and finishing with sweeter banana, vanilla, and more clove. Believe the hype. This sucker has depth.

3.93/5  rDev -9.9%

Growler shared by womencantsail at woodshop 5.1

Poured a wheaty murky yellow with a half finger of head and left good blotchy lacing on the glass. The nose was definitely like a traditional hef that consisted of wheat malts and banana aromas with clove, malts, and slight citrus accents. On the palate it was pretty much the same as the nose but the clove and banana were a little bit more dominate. It was medium body with a fair amount of carbonation that had a sweet and grainy finish. The beer was very drinkable and refreshing that I could drink lots of on a hot summer day by the pool.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

My first impression of this beer is that it's delicate. It looks soft and impressionable. Somewhat murky golden, bright. Soft pillow of semi-sticky white head. Nice lacing. Great looking

Aroma is a tad subdued. Banana is dominant, but not 'in yo face'. Clove and sticky toast. White pepper here and there. While this beer does not cast its aroma across the room, it is intoxicating while close.

The flavors here are very nice and controlled. The banana is still dominant, but not by much. It's like an un-opened banana, lacks some sweetness. Yet it's not "green" if that makes sense. The white pepper and clove dance around. Biscuit is always there, soft and lying unattended.

What makes the flavors pop is the carbonation. Quite a nice feel to it. A dash of hops invites the bubbles to do their thing. Quenching and addictive.

Very nice hefe

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

Had on tap during a trip to Austin.

Poured a cloudy golden yellow with a nice, white head. The beer smelled of bubblegum, citrus and banana. The taste was very similar with some wheat added in. I have had this beer several times and it is one of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. I have no problem drinking several of them in a row and enjoy every drop.

3.91/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Hi Hat. Aroma brings back memories of Germany. Right on the money with bananas and bubblegum. Body, taste all on target. I get the high ratings. Finally, a true American weizen.

2.22/5  rDev -49.1%

This growler was shared at Alewatcher and Oreo's birthday bash. It poured a hazy, murky vibrant gold in color with a white lacing around the glass. It looked great. The aromas, oh man! It wreaks of sweet creamed corn. I sure as hell didn't expect that to happen. It's awkward and obnoxious. I expected yeast, cloves, bananas but got none of that. The flavors too, of overly sweet creamed corn. I didn't think that was possible. It's like a crazy corn casserole in a glass. It drinks medium in body and leaves the sweet grainy flavor behind. How are people saying that this is on the level of Weihenstephaner? Dear god they aren't even in the same league, let alone comparable. I'm extremely thankful for getting to try this one but man was it a disappointment.

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

Thanks goes out to chadspivey for this exceptional brew.

Poured into a Ayinger glass a nice cloudy golden orange/yellow color, nice carbonation, nice three finger creamy white head which lasted a little while, then left some sticky lacing. The nose is malty, nice touch of yeast, spicey, cloves, and banannas. The taste is fabulous, mostly malts, wheat, yeast, cloves, and some banannas. Nice slightly dry finish. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is an exceptional Hefe, the best I've had to date, hands down. An excellent thirst quencher for a hot day in Utah. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Nice, murky yellow color. Smell is clove, banana. Taste is where its at. Not overpowering. Follows the aroma. Really enjoyed this Hefeweizen. Solid.

4.64/5  rDev +6.4%

A softish pour produces an almost one finger thick, pale, tan tinged head that sits on top of a deeply hazy, straw colored beer. When held up directly to the light it picks up some orange tints, but is still completely opaque. The aroma is quite hearty, lots of yeast notes from, surprise - surprise, actual yeast as well as ample clove notes, a hint of banana and lots of wheat / grain aromas. This last supplies some wheat-tartness, aromas of crushed saltine crackers and a rich, chewy, crushed grain aroma. The tartness accentuates a touch of fruitiness reminiscent of something like a cross between a pear and tropical fruit. This is just very hearty smelling for a HefeWeizen & quite enjoyable, the depth of the grain character is quite nice.

Not as thick as I was expecting based on the rich aromas, instead it has a nice light texture & heft to it like a good HefeWeizen should. I was half expecting / dreading that this was going to be overly under-attenuated, I am quite happy it is not. Perceived sweet notes linger on the palate with a mix of clove and banana notes. Soft and creamy, yet with a prickly carbonation, this beer has a certain viscousness to it that coats the palate, but does not keep this from being light and quaffable. Lightly tart, which accentuates a very soft fruitiness, but mostly plays up the chewy wheat flavors. This has lots of grain character to it; chewy, slightly dried-grass like, a bit of hay, a full wheat grain flavor and a crushed cracker note. The finish has a mix of clove flavors, light hop bitterness and a slight, herbal hop flavor.

As the beer warms a bit the banana flavors become a bit more accented & this accentuates an up front, grain sweetness. This is eminently quaffable; there is just enough sweetness to accentuate some soft fruit, clove and grain character. Really it is the fresh grain character that makes this beer so tasty; I can't remember having a HefeWeizen that tasted fresher and the vibrant grain character is what is driving this vibrancy. This only gets tastier and more well balanced as it warms up. I am towards the end of my 22oz serving and am finding myself wishing for more; the banana is definitely much more noticeable than the clove that was more noticed at the cooler temps, but it is still not overly much. This is a damn tasty HefeWeizen, a style that I have forgotten how good it can actually be if done correctly; this is certainly one of the finest examples that I have had, my guess is that they use a Decoction mash; there is almost no better way to get such a vibrant grain character into a beer. Fantastic!

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

Ditmier provided a growler of the Live Oak Hefe to get the ball rolling at Friday night's tasting... I had quite a few pours of this over the course of the night... Thanks Eric.

Hazy lite pale golden... nice head.. sorta creamy looking.

Nose is more estery than phenolic with bananas coming in ahead of the cloves... Smell is very fresh.

Flavor is pretty much the same as the aroma... bready with the above noted components.. I think what makes this a standout in the hefe category is that even though we're all getting it in growlers from Texas.... it is still a whole hell of alot more fresh than the bottles from the motherland. medium body with a fair amount of carbonation that somehow still seems pretty creamy.

Really glad I got to try this again... had a few pours at the GABF.. but this was very nice... I would buy it all the time if it was available, but for now.. I will have to just enjoy my SN Kellerwiess.

4.49/5  rDev +3%

Growler shared by 321Jeff complements of I don't know who.

Pours a hazy straw golden color with a thin white head that has nice retention but little lacing or depth. Aroma is a amazingly well balanced blend of typical hefe aromas of yeast, clove, wheat and banana. Strongest notes are wheat and spice with a little pepper in the background. Medium thick bodied with strong fine carbonation. Wheat and clove dominate the flavor, followed by pepper and a mild tangy citrus. Banana, yeast and lemon flavors are present as well but not quite as pronounced as some other versions of this style. Overall incredibly drinkable and refreshing; one of the most well balanced hefes I've ever had.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

A mighty fine hefeweizen- textbook, in fact on the pour. Pours a hazy orange yellow, with a thin but tight, creamy head. The smell is lots of sweet banana with a touch of clove at the end. The taste is not as assertive as I expected- light banana, fresh hay, a little sweet, somewhat prickly from the carbonation, and a tad more hops than one might expect. Dry, and quite carbonated. A little surprising considering this is a growler. Straw notes predominate, very dry. While this is very good, I think I like my hefes a little softer and with a more balanced banana and clove flavor throughout. Not quite world class.

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Out of a growler.... many thanks to Dyan for sharing this beauty with me.

The beer pours a rich hazy, honey gold flavor with huge (initially) pillowy head and very good head lacing. I assume this beer is completely unfiltered, as I see quite a bit of goop (dead yeast?) floating around near the bottom of my glass. What surprises me right off, is just how thick and viscuous this beer looks, something I rarely see in a hefe. On the nose this beer is nearly as impressive, with a huge aroma of clove and allspice, coupled with some light banana and cinnamon. The flavors on the palate replicate the nose, with just a hint of sour on the finish. The flavor profile includes a good deal of "wheatiness," which is to be expected in this kind of beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, but not at all heavy; rich, but never tiring. Somehow this beer is very soooth, but still crisp and light on the finish. Alcohol is very well disguised, and the light sour on the finish enhances drinkability here. This beer is at most moderately sweet, but then finishes with the classic dry, spicey, German hefeweizen finish.

This beer is very impressive and clearly lives up to its reputation and all the hype. Along with the hefeweizen from Block 15, as good a domestic hefe as I've ever had. Very well done.

4.41/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Can shared by Curran today, thanks man.

This one pours a slightly hazy yellow-ish orange, with a half inch head, and a good amount of lacing.

Smells like pure banana in beer form, with some light orangey citrus, and spicey and clovey yeast. Basically everything you want in this style.

This is certainly the best American-made hefeweizen. It's the real deal- blind, I probably couldn't tell it apart from the real German thing. It's got a super creamy taste, almost like a banana creamsicle, with a killer spicy yeast character, and some awesome citrus. There's just a little bit of bubblegum, too.

This has a very creamy mouthfeel, with a normal level of carbonation for a hefeweizen.

This has been a major want of mine for a very long time, and I'm super geeked that I'm able to try it. Awesome stuff, and stands with the best German counterparts.

3.25/5  rDev -25.5%

Growler shared by Matt. Thanks!

A: Hazy straw color with a mountainous white head. Lacing is scattered.

S: Tons of clove, an overwhelming  amount. Faint banana and wheat. The clove is too powerful, making this sort of one note.

T: Even more clove than in the aroma, sort of dominating. Light banana. Some wheat. Too much clove.

M: Light body with high carbonation.

Overall: Not as good as remembered. The clove is overwhelming. I liked this a lot more when I had it in 2008.

3.82/5  rDev -12.4%

From notes:

Several hand bottles received n a past trade.

Pours a hazy dark golden yellowish brown mustard like color with golden banana yellow hues when held to a light source and a half finger white head that immediately fades into a thin ring. No lacing to speak of.

Spicy aroma with lots of sweet citrus fruit and bread/yeast notes. There is a peppery clove presence that overpowers the other characteristics but there is still some noticeable banana, citrus peel, wheat and bread in the nose.

Medium bodied but on the fuller end for the style with a heavy spice/clove presence that dominates the palate and lingers throughout into a sweet, yet dry finish. There's also a prominent yeast/bread presence that adds complexity and fullness to the body. The wheat and spiciness are countered by a sweet fruit presence. Subtle banana and a good amount of citrus peel.

Overall this beer is pretty good but could stand to be a bit more balanced. I've had this now on draft, hand bottled and in growler form and it seems t be wildly inconsistent.

3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

From 64oz growler to Hess imperial pint glass on 5/30/12
*From notes

-- A big thanks goes out to siege06nd for saving me a good portion of this growler to take home. I really do appreciate it. Cheers, John! --

A: Cloudy and murky dirty yellow. Gorgeous stuff. A good pour yields a white 2.25 finger head. Tons of lacing and a thick, dense collar rim the glass. Some very minor white floaties swim in the glass. If I didn't know, I might mistake this for a Heady Topper.

S: Banana peel, cream, cool caramel, hints of raw vanilla batter and as it warms, I get a pronounced amount of cinnamon.

T: Very subtle. A bit acidic up front, followed by overly ripe banana and maybe a touch of yeast. Hints of cracked cloves hit next, yet it's not as in your face as some in the style. This is much more balanced. The finish is slightly fruity and quite creamy. As it lingers, it displays a slight tang.

M: Not great, but I'll credit that to the already opened growler loosing some of it's oomph on my way home. It's fairly light bodied for a wheat based ale, though it's also a tad watery, too. I'd like to see a bit more finesse, yet I enjoy how easy this is to quaff.

O: A very well done Hefe. I can't say it's better then Weihenstephaner's, which to me is tops in-style, but for an American interpretation, this is really very good. Easy on the palate, yet complex enough to hold my attention for the long haul. Well done. I can see why this is such a highly regarded brew. Thanks again, John!

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Big thanks to JLindros for sharing this beer. Poured into a tulip.

A - Pours a nice hazy golden hue with a thin sudsy head that faded at typical rate to leave a nice halo.

S - A wonderful hefe aroma explodes upon opening. Tons of banana and clove along with some light orange/tangerine notes.

T - Again, wonderfully done with sweet, ripe banana , bright cloves and Corrianne, nice typical hefe spice profile.

M - Nice lightly creamy, slightly dry finish. Excellent.

O - Overall, this was a delicious hefe. Not sure how easy it is to get these growlers, but I'd love to get some more.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company