Live Oak HefeWeizen | Live Oak Brewing Company

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Reviews: 450 | Ratings: 1,604
4.51/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Growler driven across three states, in my glass within 48 hrs.

Pours like a wheat. Hazy, pale golden with fluffy white head that lingers quite nicely. Nice carbonation out of the growler.

Aroma is clove, banana, doughy yeast, tropical bubblegum, banana custard, creamy, and wheaty. One of the best smelling hef's or wheat's I've come across. No joke.

Then I taste this bitch. Damn is this creamy. One of the creamiest beers I've had and that's saying a lot given all the milk and oatmeal stouts I've had. But more on that when I get to the mouthfeel. Flavors are accentuated and potent, very much Americanized yet also traditional. Big banana, clove, banana/tropical bubblegum, cream of wheat, papaya, and a touch of nutmeg. I've had hef's that display that bubblegum like character but this takes it to a whole other level.

Mouthfeel is where this shines even more. Super creamy, do I detect oats? Will have to read up and see. Heavier side of light body, slightly above medium carbonation, and clean fruity, spicy finish. But did I mention it's creamy? Wow, floats on the tongue.

I have to give a big thanks to Isaac, I guy I'd never met before, who brought this down as an extra as part of a big trade. This lives up to the hype and in my case exceeds it. This has sparked a new passion in my beer life. Sad that this is not available locally. A masterfully brewed hefeweizen. A beer not to be missed if in Texas.

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

I've been wanting to tick this beer for over four years since I joined this site. I have always been apathetic in trying to acquire one, figuring I would be able to try it one day. Well, a work trip to Dallas turned out to be that time. Went to the Dallas Flying Saucer, and among the 130 taps that day was Live Oak Hefe. Here I go...

A: Orange juice. Pours a very bright and immensely cloudy yellow with a touch of orange coloring. A nice, vibrant white head sits atop the beer, and hangs around for a few sips. What I would expect from a hefeweizen.

S: This is definitely an American Hefeweizen, as it is not dominated by sweet banana and/or clove. It is very light with a nice grainy yeast element. Some light fruits and bread as wel.

T: Pretty much the same as the nose. Very light and drinkable, great usage of the wheat, with some slight banana, orange, and pine hope bitterness.

Overall, one of the best American Hefes I have had. It comes close to East End Monkey Boy, but falls just short I think. A job well done on this.

4.72/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Damn this was good. Had from HEB in a growler. This is the best beer I have ever had from a Texas Brewer. Seems straight from Munich - great hefe. This has the typical look and lacing but the freshness was almost pungent. Great feel and a very fresh beer. I think I want to give HEB 5 stars as well for provision this

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle from brewer via my friend Dave. Hazy, pale yellow with a good head and okay retention.

Smells great. Tastes great too. Very good balance of banana and clove flavors along with malt. Not too sweet at all which is a big plus.

Very solid Hefeweizen. Used to drink the hell out of them back in the day so it was nice to take me back down memory lane.
Seek it out!

4.74/5  rDev +8.7%

Hands down this is my favorite Heffeweizen. I've drank it for years (since the late 90's when I lived in Austin), but on this visit I thought I would give it an attempt an unbiased review.

Pint served with a slice of lemon (which really makes this beer shine)

Bright heffeweizen color (golden yellowish color, but brighter than say Boulevard's Heffeweizen). I really liked the color if this beer but on the negative there was almost no head.

The flavor is complex and satisfying. Some citrus notes (probably some of this is from the lemon) with faint banana notes (in the past, the banana notes were stronger I think). The wheat malt also definitely stands out. Also there are some faint spices (think a toned down version of the cloves of Aventinus)

The aroma is fantastic. It definitely grabs you from first whiff. Mouthfeel is good with a fair bit of natural carbonation.

An excellent beer for summer drinking.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Hay Merchant (Houston), served in a 20 oz Weizen glass. Hazy, cloudy yellow with a good head of white foam. Citrus, wheat and slight yeast spice on the nose. Well balanced flavor: typical clove and banana are present but only just enough, citrus, bread, spicy yeast and hop bitterness all mingle well. Lively carbonation with a light to medium body. Very drinkable, well balanced; a good representation of the style.

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to pecorasc for sharing this growler with me. Multiple pours into a Great Lakes pilsner glass.

A- Pours a pale, straw yellow color. Very cloudy. Produced three fingers width of white, frothy head. Reduced to a ring throughout consumption. Some lacing as consumed with decent head retention.

S- Simple, but all the traditional components were not only there. but well done. Mixture of fresh, spicy cloves, wheat, and yeast. Really hard to point out much else.

T- Holy hell! Much more complex than the aroma led off to believe. A mix of what seemed like weizen and German wheat yeast. Fresh, spicy cloves upfront with a slightly sweet, sour tang in the background. This tang flavor is present throughout, from beginning to end, making this quite a unique hefeweizen. Midway through a wheat profile develops leading the way to bubble gum finish. Tremendous flavors for such a simple beer.

M- Light bodied and well carbonated. Not much to add here other than that it could be improved ever so slightly.

D- There was something in this beer that just hit the glands in the back of the throat and almost forced me to take an even bigger gulp each time. One of the most drinkable beers I have ever come across. Now this should be the definition of a session beer.

Overall, the most flavorful session beer I have had to date. What really set this beer apart from most other great hefeweizens I have had is the subtle, sweet/sour tang in the background...most likely from their house German wheat yeast. So flavorful, yet so simple. I'm really craving another growler of this one.

3.95/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a glowing hazy orange peach with a small, but sticky, gauzy white head. Nose of sweet wheat bread, mild bananas, some cloves, a hint of bubblegum, and a sprig of spicy herbal noble hops. Very good smelling hefe. Soft wheat malt of bready sweetness and tangy yeast. Restrained bubblegum and banana flavors. A little clove. Spicy noble hop finish. Medium-bodied with a soft, proteiny feel.

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

Huge thanks to biglobo8971 for sharing this one. Poured from a growler into a snifter.

A- Hazy yellow straw appearance, ½ finger to one finger off white head, well carbonated, nice lacing and retention.
S- Awesome aroma, the smell is amazing, banana, cloves, hints of citrus, lemn zest, very well balanced, hints of breadiness, just smooth and refreshing.
T- Taste as it smells, banana, cloves, lemon and orange aromas, slight citrus, really smooth and delicious taste to this beer, hints of spice, nice balanced sweetness to it, perfect for a hot summer day, slightly dry on the aftertaste.
M- Medium to light mouthfeel, well carbonated, really smooth and crisp.
O- Very impressed by this beer, amazing Hefe, one of the best of its style. Smooth and refreshing, perfect for a hot summer day, really easy drinkability.

4.72/5  rDev +8.3%

Served in a proper weizen glass, pours a hazy pale gold color topped by a generous, chunky 3 fingers worth of head. Looks quite nice.

And smells even better. Good zesty lemon up front, then dominant clove abounds while a mild, powdery bubblegum scent lingers on the back end. Beautiful.

Thank goodness this isn't the banana-bomb I'd feared it may be. Clove-driven all the way with a wonderful wheat-y finish (while totally avoiding the cereal mash tendency many beers have). A gently sweet aftertaste (bubblegum again) lingers.

Mouthfeel is good and chewy although carbonation is a bit subdued (which may have more to do with the method of packaging and shipping). Drinkability is ridiculous and I want more. Oh, look! I have more! Simply outstanding and it is rare that I get this excited about a hefe as they tend to be on the low end of my favorite styles.

Huge thanks to chadspivey for the growler(s), you're a star.

4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

Wow this had a lot going on in the growler. It had a lots of live action with the hops. Very cloudy beer but a fantatic yellow. Pours a nice beer from the growler provided. This beer tasted as advertised, so nice and not to missed.

Great job from Live Oak a must have !!!!

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A 12 fl oz. can with no canned on or best before date. Poured into a Riedel weizen glass.

Appearance: It poured a hazy straw yellow colour with a three finger white head that dissipated fairly quickly and left almost no lacing.

Aroma: Sweet overripe bananas, clove, banana bread and some light wheat.

Taste: Much like the aromas, there is sweet overripe banana, light clove and peach, pear, banana bread and a hint of wheat.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, mid to light bodied with moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: Wow, this was an amazing Hefeweizen. Probably one of the best in this style.

Damn. I hate giving perfect scores, makes me sound like a rank amateur cheerleading his Friday-night standard. But sorry, I must remain true to my standards and admit that this brew has earned my first ever straight all-fives. Overall, an absolutely flawless product.

Pours cloudy and golden. The aroma comes out to welcome you with esters all over along with faint yeast and bubble gum, a little cream butter as well.

The taste is thick, rich, bready with a buttery sweetness. The flavors are mild with banana, white pepper and cloves present in the background, not overpowering. Subtlety is the watchword and fresh is best. Texture is smooth and velvety with a moderately heavy mouthfeel.

Balance is what earns this brew a perfect score. I've had fresh hefeweizens with strong fruit and clove elements but this beer is so delicately made so as flavors come together in a symphony instead of individual components. Even as it warmed in a plastic cup, the flavors remained nuanced and complementary, never turning or tiring towards the inevitable warmer end. Nothing dominates, thus everything works. The palate never tires and I could drink this all day.

Cheers to BeerAngel for his tip on enjoying this fresh from the source. I owe him a beer for this new favorite of mine.

4.24/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

10 oz. pour on draft at Craft Pride in Austin, TX; unknown brewing/packaging date; poured into a modified British pint glass and drank over 15 minutes

4.77/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a growler into a weizen glass. Huge thanks to xpimptastikx for the opportunity to try this one!

Straw-colored pour. A careful pour still yields a monster three finger head. Nice, thick white foam retains well, but sadly doesn't leave much behind. Still, a very promising pour from the growler.

Very yeasty nose. Lots of banana and bubblegum immediately jump out at me. There's also some wheat-y tartness and a citric fruity scent.

Live Oak HefeWeizen has a great collection of flavors...a flavor that keeps me a little more interested in it than most hefes. Nice wheat-y tartness, lots of bready malt, bananas, bubblegum, citrus (I'm leaning toward orange), and stinging, almost tongue-numbing spice. Really enjoy how this one isn't overly clove-y.

The texture of this beer seems impossible. It's soft and creamy, while being lively and tingly. That shouldn't add up, but it does here. Body is a bit lighter than I expected (I'd guess medium), but without being watery or thin.

The drinkability is off the charts. A lot of hefeweizens (and a lot of other styles, too) have been easy drinkers simply because of a low ABV and a lack of offensive flavors. However, Live Oak's HefeWeizen's great flavor pushes it beyond the rest. If I could give it a 6, I would. This is as good as I've had thus far. Generally, I like to drink a 12oz bottle or two a night, and call it quits. It's usually a chore for me to drink much more than that. Yet this growler was gone in no time. Can't recommend it highly enough.

3.88/5  rDev -11%

Hazy light yellow color with a white head and little retention. Smell of banana, cooked vegetable, bread, and lemon. Taste has some banana, bread, and clove. Higher end of carbonation, thick, but still medium bodied. Pretty drinkable, and a good beer to drink for the summer. Thanks to pepsican for the sample.

4.41/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a growler into a Newport Storm pint. Thanks channels321!

Appearance- Pretty typical unfiltered heffe. Cloudy yellow with thin white head.

Smell- Spicey. Coriander, banana, lemon, wheat bread, grassy floralness. Again fairly typical of the style.

Taste- Lemon, yeasty bread, funky earthyness, green apples. Very crisp and refreshing.

Mouthfeel- Nicely carbonated. Smooth, crisp, clean. Would be great on a hot summer day.

Overall- This is a damn fine Heffe. Not a fan of the style normally, but this sets the standards for now on.

3.56/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

i'm a widmer here guy . also love pyramids so i was excited to try this. i'd read lot of good things about this one.
it was pretty good. a little thinner than widmer but overall a great beer

4.52/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to hopsleeroy for this hand bottled bomber.

A - Pours light gold in color. Borders on straw. Nice cloudiness with a milky nature. Head was average with good retention. The resulting lace left behind was nice.

S - Wheat and banana start things out. A sharp and pleasing spiciness follows with hints of pepper and allspice. After the wheat fades, the banana sticks around for a little while longer. Honey and grain finish out the aroma.

T - Banana and wheat intertwine for a nice initial flavor. Clove chimes in quickly and fades to a peppery spice. Grain is stronger in the flavor than the smell and provides a nice background to the fruit and spice. Pale malt and a dash of hops are on the tail end of the flavor.

M - Medium to light bodied. Carbonation is light but still good for the style. Finish is crisp and clean. VERY crisp and clean.

D - Extremely drinkable. It is smooth, clean, and flavorful...all very good characteristics for a wheat beer. It goes down very quick and easy which places the drinkability very high. I could easily drink a few of these. Live Oak really nailed the style with this brew. I'd like to see this beer bottled with some decent distribution.

This is my 241st review and only my third perfect five. This is the epitome of the style as it poured a beautifully lightly cloudy caramel color with a massive light off-white head. The aromas of bananas, clove, and light wheat notes bellowed from this beer. The taste was a very creamy repeat of the aroma with a smoothness out of this world. This was a medium bodied beer and it drinks down with way too much ease! We were told that this batch was young, but how can it get any better?!?! Live Oak is a brewery that makes some quality brews! Cheers to this Texas brewery!

4.12/5  rDev -5.5%

On-tap at the Flying Saucer in Addison. Served with a lemon wedge which I discarded. Also, served in a standard American pint glass.

Cloudy golden yellow with a 1/2 inch white head and very sticky lace. Nose full of wheat, mild banana, and lemon zest, very appetizing. Yet, the banana flavors were subdued. Things started off with a carbonic yeast and quickly moved to a somewhat wet lemony flavor. It was a bit much, hints of Pledge. Toward the end, the flavors mellowed and blended with some spice added to the mix, still not enough to recover from the lemon kick. Mouthfeel varied from a thin middle to a fine medium-full finish. An easy to drink beer that you should never refuse. If you are in TX, be sure to seek it out.

4.86/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

At Bangers. Probably pne of the best Hefes I’ve had. I haven’t gone to the motherland yet but I’d imagine this is what they are like. Pours a hazy pale yellow. Big banana aroma. Taste is similar to a banana runt with a big effervescent carbonation. Super refreshing.

4.73/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had this one on tap for the first time, and I've been dying to try this for a while.

A- Cloudy yellow color, definitely cloudy. Nice frothy head.

S- Sweet bananas, very little clove, nice lemon and grassy notes.

T- This shit is BANANAS "B-A-N-A-N-A-S" haha! Biggest banana bomb I've ever tasted. So rich and sweet. There's a little clove present, and it finishes with a little lemon tingle.

M- Dang this beer feels so creamy and frothy, it's awesome and so refreshing.

O- If I only had one beer wish, I might just use it by asking for this to be sold in cans at my grocery store. My fridge would be stocked up all year long! I don't think I could get tired of this beer. It's friggin amazing!

4.12/5  rDev -5.5%

A. Pours orange and yellow haze with a white foamy head.

S. Banana, clove, and wheat predominate with nice light citrusy flavors and some bubblegum flavors.

T. Banana, wheat, some slight spiciness, and some nice bubblegum. Some lemon is in there, too.

M. Fairly thin with nice level of carbonation.

D. Very drinkable, but I wish it was a bit more robust.

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

had it on tap, came in a shaker

A - A foggy yellow with a nice 1 finger head. Sticky lacing

S/T - The smell and taste I put in the same category as they are basically the exact same. Nice banana and cloves with a semi-sweet backbone.

M - Decent mouthfeel, good and creamy. It was a bit 'biting' on the back palate but nothing major.

D - Best hefeweizen I have ever had. I get this stuff as much as possible. It deserves its high ranking.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company