Live Oak HefeWeizen | Live Oak Brewing Company

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Reviews: 437 | Ratings: 1,520
4.42/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured an amazing hazy yellow color with aromas of light banana, clove, light bubble gum, and some light spice. Flavors are a nice mix of all the aromas, light creaminess to it. Enjoyed this beer by the pool, and it was amazing. I have been looking for this beer for a while, and it was well worth the wait.

3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

From 64oz growler to Hess imperial pint glass on 5/30/12
*From notes

-- A big thanks goes out to siege06nd for saving me a good portion of this growler to take home. I really do appreciate it. Cheers, John! --

A: Cloudy and murky dirty yellow. Gorgeous stuff. A good pour yields a white 2.25 finger head. Tons of lacing and a thick, dense collar rim the glass. Some very minor white floaties swim in the glass. If I didn't know, I might mistake this for a Heady Topper.

S: Banana peel, cream, cool caramel, hints of raw vanilla batter and as it warms, I get a pronounced amount of cinnamon.

T: Very subtle. A bit acidic up front, followed by overly ripe banana and maybe a touch of yeast. Hints of cracked cloves hit next, yet it's not as in your face as some in the style. This is much more balanced. The finish is slightly fruity and quite creamy. As it lingers, it displays a slight tang.

M: Not great, but I'll credit that to the already opened growler loosing some of it's oomph on my way home. It's fairly light bodied for a wheat based ale, though it's also a tad watery, too. I'd like to see a bit more finesse, yet I enjoy how easy this is to quaff.

O: A very well done Hefe. I can't say it's better then Weihenstephaner's, which to me is tops in-style, but for an American interpretation, this is really very good. Easy on the palate, yet complex enough to hold my attention for the long haul. Well done. I can see why this is such a highly regarded brew. Thanks again, John!

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A growler from a trade with chadspivey filled, as I understand, from a local tavern as Live Oak doesn't fill growlers.

A: The ale is a hazy, cloudy, hazy (did I mention hazy?) yellow color that is a few shades darker than standard yellow. The ale, as it pours from a growler, is thick and unfiltered, loooking almost like a big pulpy orange juice.

S: The aroma is wheat and some orange peel. It is very sweet with a subtle tartness.

T: The beer certainly adheres to the Americanized version of a hefe. The wheat is light and soft, providing a slightly sweet and tart flavor that builds on the malt base. The wheat body is enhanced by some spices and fruits, particularly a slight hint of clove and banana, some sugary bubblegum, a bit of sweet orange peel. The flavors are soft, never overpowering the mouth.

M: The mouthfeel is subtle. It lacks the strong estery flavors of, say, Weihenstephaner, but it brings a great deal to the table. The spices and wheat are well-paired together.

D: This growler is not going to survive the night. I recommend that you, the fellow beer drinker, find this beer. Or schedule a trip to Austin. Or beg an Austinian to trade with you. Anything. You won't regret it.

4.69/5  rDev +7.6%

I got this properly bottled from a growler sample from brandoneast in a trade. Thanks Brandon!

This pours (after a nice fizz upon opening) a straw yellow with some orange hues with about an inch of foam. Holding the glass up, it looks like the classical hefeweizen. Very promising, me thinks. Head retention and lacing were not this brews strong points but it's still going to score decent because of the look of it.

The smell is wow. Lots of wheat and clove and lemon zest and other fruitiness. Very inviting.

The taste is great. All of the smells I noted are there in the flavour too. Delicious notes of corriander, clove, wheat, lemon, bubblegum, and an overall yeastiness that kicks major ass! It's going down way too easy so I better slow down. ;^)

It has a lightish mouthfeel and the carbonation is light as well. Appropriate for the style.

Drinkability? I'd say, judging by how quickly the 12oz bottle's contents are disappearing....great. This *is* an awesome Hefeweizen and I'm pleased as punch that I got to try it. Thanks again, Brandon!

4.02/5  rDev -7.8%

Now this is canned? Cool. It was a very tasty Hefe. Strong on several Belgian spices but never too much on anything. Dry, clovey, and diverse. An american Weihenstephaner. In some essences.

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Screw-cap growler provided via trade by chadspivey. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" white head over the totally cloudy but still translucent brew. Head falls slowly, with heavy lasting lace. Aroma is wheat and cloves. Taste starts with wheat, clove comes on with a touch of citrus, and then closes with a slight bitterness. Mouthfeel and drinkability are smooth and easy, wish I could have this one as an everyday option. If you can, please utilize for those of us who can't.

4.31/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy, well carbed, banana/clove flavors integrated well. Not overly yeasty. Finishes clean and delicious. Best Hefe in all the land? I don't know, I'm not qualified to answer that. I would drink the shit out of this everyday if I could though.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

This is the premier American Hefeweizen, no one else comes close. The perfect beer for a hot Texas summer day. While the style is down, this is the cream of the crop.

4.62/5  rDev +6%

Got this one recently in a trade with JDV. Thanks!
There was a solid pffft when I opened the growler - always a good sign. It poured into an Erdinger Weissbier glass with about an inch of rocky, bright white foam that was pretty sticky and left solid sheets of finer bubbles clinging to the glass. Head retention was good. The beer was cloudy and gold, just as you would expect. Bright, spicy aroma of cloves hit my nose first, with banana a close second. Lighter notes of bread and lemon were present, as well as a hint of bubblegum. Citrus was more prominent in the flavour, lemon zesty, but there was still plenty of banana. Cloves were less aggressive and melded very nicely with the sweet fruity character. A bit of bubblegum and very mild bitterness lying underneath it all. Very creamy body, buttery texture, with solid carbonation that wasn't aggressive. Superb, full mouthfeel for the style. And talk about drinkable... it's no problem putting a few of these away. This is by far the best hefeweizen I've had from a US brewery - it certainly deserves any hype it gets. If this was available in my area, it would definitely be a regular pint for me.

4.52/5  rDev +3.7%

I have had this once before years ago from a growler. Being in Texas, I had to give this another go. On tap at the Ginger Man in Dallas.

(A)- Pours a hazy golden yellow/orange color. Some really good froth and lacing left behind in the glass.

(S)- Bright and vibrant lemon zest and biscuit - like clove. Bits of bubblegum and a very subtle banana as it warms.

(T)- Just like the smell. A lovely crisp lemon peel with dry biscuit-like yeast. Very mellow bubblegum and clove letting the fruit and yeast do the work.

(M)- Such a crisp and smooth tasting beer. It is perhaps a lighter representation of the style I have had, but not lacking flavor by any means.

(O)- Easily one of the best Hefe's in the world. So light, but crisp and flavorful. A keg of this in my house (if I could) would not last long at all. And from my past experience with this beer, fresh and on tap; there is so substitute.

*Original Review ___

Growler poured into a tulip. Crazy thanks to Beerwolf77 for sharing the wealth!

(A)- Pours a cloudy orange hue that produced a decent white head that dissipated after awhile. (3.5)

(S)- Lots of ripe banana with a really nice clove aroma. Minimal lemon, but crisp. Some awesome wheat notes. Kind of a rustic character to it. (4.5)

(T)- Crisp, with a mellow banana/lemon profile. Nice dry wheat aspect with a telltale bubblegum finish. (4)

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. A nice crispness to it. Smooth & mellow. (4)

(D)- Definitely a solid Hefeweiss for sure. Smooth and easy drinking even for the style.(4.5)

4.41/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

32 fl oz howler sealed with pressured growler cap.

poured into wheat beer glass.

Appearance: Light straw yellow body with thick bone white head.

Smell: Biscuit / bread malts. Light hint of banana and clove. Lager yeast.

Taste: Flavorful, balanced, and complex. Bready and biscuit malt. Lager yeast forward. Banana, clove, and bubblegum. Light hint of earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied beer with moderate carbonation. The drinkablility is off the charts. Creamy carbonation and a light snappy finish. Very refreshing.

Overall: Hefeweizen is a beer style that I have only found New Glarus to brew well and I really haven't found many Hefeweizen's that are truly spectacular. This beer has really high scores and I honestly did not think that it would be as good as the ratings say it is. Well, I am here to say that this is the best Hefeweizen that is brewed in the USA. This exceeded expectations and has me wanting to get another growler of this Live Oak beer. The fact that the banana and clove are extremely well balanced and completely dialed in are what makes the beer shine. I have always homered on New Glarus Hefeweizen's and this beer is clearly far superior to all of the New Glarus Hefeweizens.

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Much thanks to ballewblake for knocking this off my list

A: Hazy light orange with a large white head. Great retention. Plenty of carbonation. Very pretty

S: Excellent. Bready, lemon, orange, mild clove and banana. Great balance and VERY refreshing. As it warms up, the banana grows in prominence.

T: Opens up bready with a pleasing tart twang. Definitely lemony mid palate, very refreshing with a great bread-like flavor. I know "fresh" isn't the best flavor description, but that's what I feel. Dry finish. Uniquely juicy with the combination of bready and lemon flavors lending this beer a unique character

M: A bit bigger than light, this beer is very crisp and the drying, tart finish is very refreshing

D: Insane. I'd have this on tap at home if I lived in the area

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

Labeling this one a growler because it was handbottled by the biggest man on BA, thickerfreakness! In person trade at DLD.

Vigorous pour creates a solid 1" thick bone white head, very tight bubbles, hazy golden/amber, solid lace rings, great retention, falls to a solid layer. Smell is nice, bananas, sweet malt, wheat, very bready, cloves, very clean underneath the banana and spice, very refreshing aroma. Taste is sweet at first, honey, wheat, banana, very bready, some subtle spicing, very drying finish, crisp and clean, nice banana aftertaste, touch of vanilla, super refreshing, bit of acidity really cuts through. Mouthfeel is light bodied with low to medium carbonation, probably a bit less due to hand bottling, I'll assume theres a bit more on tap. Definitely would be a fantastic hot weather beer, very smooth and refreshing. Not as estery as a lot of weissbiers, just nice flavours and super smooth. Thanks a ton Charles!

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to johnsaulrubio for sending this growler my way.

A - Pours a pale, hazy yellow with a one and a half finger off-white head that fades slowly. There is on lacing at all.

S - Strong lemon hits me first, followed by some wheat.

T - Lemon and wheat are first, followed by some mild spice, and finishes with a slight banana taste.

D - Tons of carbonation with a light body.

O - A nice citrus, well balanced Hef.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

I drank this on tap into a pint glass.

The beer pours a deep murky gold with two fingers of white head. Good retention, leaving a soaopy head, ok lacing.

The aroma is strong with clove dominating in a wonderful with a light honey finish, nice sweetness to balance.

The taste is super smooth starting out a little sweet with a great clove finish.

The feel is great, with a nice sweet lasting finish.

Easy drinker.

Overall, this was a great treat. By far the best hefe I've ever had. Search out this treat.

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a light pale straw color with plenty of cloudiness and a fluffy white head.

Aromas begin with the traditional banana and clove esters, but not all that intense compared to the authentic German examples. The sourish wheat comes through nicely, as does a hint of citrus.

The tastes begin with the traditional yeasty esters but once again are not as dominant as you normally get in hefeweizens, which I extremely enjoy. The banana and clove are certainly there, but not they don't steal the show. Orange peel and light wheat sourness round things out, with maybe just a bit of lemon.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Finish is lightly estery and bitter. Probably more hops used than your tradtional styles is the reason for that.

Overall, I can see why this beer is so popular, especially for people down in Texas. Quite easy to drink, light, and refreshing. It is almsot a mix of a Hefeweizen and a Wheat Pale ale which improves the drinkability.

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

I had this on tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston. The beer was hazy pale yellow color with a poofy head. The smell is classic hefeweizen, bananas and cloves. Same with the taste, a little grainy but not as lactosy as many German hefes seem. The mouthfeel is thick and sort of creamy but light enough to keep from being bloating.

This beer's had a top spot on the site for a long time but wasn't exactly a "quest" beer for me. Nonetheless I was glad to find it on tap while in town.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks very much to wagenvolks for the opportunity to try and share this with friends. Just as a caveat - this was shipped in some serious August heat and there was a bit of CO2 escaping that occurred due to expansion in the bottle.

Served in my ST tulip. Poured a cloudy orange with an off-white head that quickly dissipated - looked a lot like Tang (the drink of astronauts). Nose was clove, citrus and yeast. Taste consistent with nose, somewhat mellow and muted flavor profile with some citrus astringency lingering at the back. Character changes slightly as it warms with some banana notes coming out as well. Mouthfeel was light bodied with a consistent level of background effervescence - finish was fairly clean and dry. Easy drinking and quite flavorful - perhaps the most drinkable beer I've ever had a 4% abv. I can only assume that this beer is nothing short of outstanding on draught because it was still very respectable considering what it went through to get to me.

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%

Had courtesy of ChuggyMcBeer, mbudner, and TempsPerdu - thanks!

Pours an opaque yellow-orange color with a foamy one-finger white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of bananas - and lots of them - with good amounts of clove and a small amount of herbal hop aromas.

Tastes very good. Banana flavors hit right off the bat, but are not as intense as the smell would indicate, leaving plenty of room for the wheat to shine through. Midway through the sip slight grassy flavors accompany cloves and all of these flavors carry on through to a slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is great. It's got a creamy thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I had absolutely no problem finishing my glass and could probably handle a growler of this.

Overall this lived up to the hype. It's a bit heavier than traditional hefe's, but the level of banana and clove flavor does not suffer because of it. Definitely worth a shot.

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to brandoneast for sending me two hand-bottles of this hefe from a growler. I hadn't been seeking this brew, but when the opportunity popped up just as I signed on, hey, why not? It's supposed to be pretty decent, right?

Split a 12 oz. bottle with the wife, who's not a big hefe fan (I had to guarantee her half of the bottle). Brew is resoundingly cloudy, with massive amounts of suspended floaties. I wouldn't dare drain-pour this, I'd clog up the drain. Smell is like a hefe Ahnold, flexing banana with a hint of sour underneath.

Now, I had no idea what I was getting into when I took a sip, this has some sour tinge to it! Hefe? What the hell? Fortunately for me, it has just the right bit, I like my sour more subtle, & that's what this has. The banana gets drowned out, almost, by the gentle sour bite that's clearing my sinuses. Sipping this beer is like sitting in the sand, on the sun, waves lapping at your feet, a fishing rod at hand. Ahhh. The wife won't give her half up, either.

Mouthfeel is light & delicious. This is one fine hefe & definitely lives up to the hype. I can now rest easy knowing there's at least one hefe out there that kicks some serious ass. Excellent beer!

4.71/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: A dark and cloudy golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention, and lace is left behind.
S: Huge citrus, tart lemon, banana, and peppery/clove aromas. Yeast, baked bread, husky wheat in spades. This is very pleasant and appealing to say the least.
T: Follows the nose nicely. The flavors are all very tart and sharp. That great hefeweizen yeast is oh so present. Plenty of citrus, banana, and clove again. Baked bread. Excellent.
M/D: Medium body and very dry and crisp. Smooth and creamy at the same time. Very refreshing. Incredibly easy to drink. Did I say this was smooth? I can session this all day long.

Probably the best American made hefe, and without a doubt the best beer made in Texas. This is a classic, and a review is not good enough to describe this beauty. Pretty much as good as it gets.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Reviewed from notes 12/20/2010.
Many thanks to Jefferz5000 for this wonderful growler of beer. Can't wait for growler #2.

A: typical for a wheat beer, but also has some undertones of citrus fruit. Also noticed a hint of some spice scents, perhaps corriander.

Ap: golden yellow with a 1 finger crisp white head full of small frothy bubbles. The head dissipated quickly.

B/T: mild carbonation, pleasant on the tongue. Not overly carbonated, but just enough to taste like there was carbonation there. A nice crisp, clean beer.

Af: very crisp, typicaly for the wheat style. It has a hint of citrus fruit that pairs nicely with the light wheat flavor. Not much bitterness at all. Sweet, with a crisp finish.

O: Perfect reminder of summer on a cold, snowy, wintery day on the east coast! If only everyday could end with a pint of this on the deck, life would be grand!

Cheers!
The CPJ

4.12/5  rDev -5.5%

64 oz growler split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip. No date or info.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for acquiring this top 100 to share with the crew!

A - Insanely hazy straw golden yellow with a low off-white head. Can't see a bit through it. Low head, and little lace is a bit disappointing for a hefe.

S - Strong banana and a German yeast aroma, its got a big nose starting off but remains crisp. Hints of bubblegum and coriander give it that classic and inviting appeal.

T - A little thin in with a soft banana and wheat flavor and hints of coriander with a touch of bubblegum. As I remembered for sampling this about a year ago, it tastes good, but not great.

M - Soft and very smooth, it's got a medium-light bodied and soft, clean finish. Great mouthfeel!

D - Fantastic drinkability from this one with a great mouthfeel, it goes down very well. This isn't an out-of-this-world hefe as there's local stuff I find to be better than this (coughraritycough) but it's good.

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-pours a glowing golden yellow colored beer with a beautiful unfiltered looking haze. The head is pure white, bubbly, and slightly thin

S-the nose is quite big and brings nice golden fruits and a light funky yeast. Golden pears and banana are most prominent, a light peach as well, with a little clove spiciness balancing out the fruity sweetness. A light touch of yeast keeps this true to the style

T-the taste is slightly spicier than the nose. The spice is present up front, clove and a touch of pepper, the fruits set in towards the middle, pear and banana with hints of soft peach. The spiciness and a light touch of tart funk bring in the finish.

M-the body is a little larger than I thought it would be, medium to light with a certain level of syrup to it. It has some prickly carbonation on top of a very smooth palate finishing on the dry side; but not overly dry by an means

D-this is so easy to drink, big flavors and right on point. So low in alcohol to match a nice level of complexity with a solid mixture of spice and sweet soft fruits. Great Brew!!!

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Gigantically mad ups to xpimptastikx for shipping out a growler of this. There is nothing, NOTHING, more wonderful than having a growler reach you safe and sound. And it's one of them fancy growlers with a special freshness lock cap, too.

Pours as beautifully as any hefe could. Maybe a little better, actually. It's been a while since I've come across a really gorgeous wheat beer, but this one resembles duvel with its cloudy yellow sunshine body and gigantic, foamy white head. It's like frosting, or some kind of delicious soup. Or, actually it's even better than those since it's beer.

Smells just a complex as the very best hefes I've ever had, but maybe a little bit more intense. Cloves, banana, white pepper, the usual suspects, but there's also some wonderful citrus complexities in there.

Tastes even more complex, even more perfectly smooth and balanced. God damn! Wheatmalt dominates, of course, starting off generically beery in a nice way (like Weihenstephaner), moving into a sweeter, spicecake middle of cloves, lemon zest, white pepper, vanilla and orange. This lingers for a while and its ends, amazingly, with a distinct but light hop finish that ties everything together like a cherry on a sundae.

Nothing outrageous, nothing huge, just a perfectly executed example of its style. Believe the hype. I'm honestly upset at myself for not applying to Texas' grad program, now...

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company