Live Oak HefeWeizen | Live Oak Brewing Company

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Ratings: 1,632 |  Reviews: 459
4.64/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.07/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to Michael for sending a growler of this my way.

A: The pour is somewhat light for a hefeweizen, tending toward a pale straw color with plenty of cloudiness and a white head.

S: A bit of the traditional banana and clove esters, but not all that intense. The wheat comes through nicely, as does a hint of citrus.

T: The yeasty esters are not as dominant as I normally like in my hefeweizens. The banana and clove are certainly there, but not they don't steal the show. Orange peel and wheat round things out, with maybe just a bit of lemon.

M: Somewhat light in body with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: I can see why this beer is so popular, especially for people down in Texas. Quite easy to drink, light, and refreshing.

3.34/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

32 oz. growler poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Hazy. Medium white head. Golden body.

Smell - Spicy. Wow. Super phenolic. Clove. Spice. Intense. Some pale malts.

Taste - Wheat. Doughy malts. Spice builds quickly. Intense phenolic spice. More clove than banana.

Mouthfeel - Well carbonated. Medium body.

Overall - Well made, but really spicy.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Served in an Ayinger weizen glass.

Mega thanks to jefferz5000 for this tasty treat!

I've heard some pretty gnarly things about this brew, particularly about it being the best hefe on the planet. The time has finally come for me to test these hyperbolic statements. It pours a rather cloudy straw, reminiscent of a carrot-orange-banana juice blend I sampled about a decade ago in Vienna (that's Austria, not Virginia). Nearly two fingers of white suds top it off, subsiding into a fine layer after a short respite. Honestly, this is what it looks like when books show representatations of hefeweizens. Archetypal all the way. So far, the hype has been lived up to. We'll see how the rest goes. The nose comprises banana, red apple, Granny Smith apple (they're both in there...trust me), caramel, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peel, and a slight breadiness. My brain is awash with visions ranging from the sugary apple slices from my old local Bell's Orchard (it is missed) to a haystack standing in a citrus grove. I haven't wanted to drink a beer based on its smell this badly in some time. The taste holds notes of banana, orange zest, cloves, nutmeg, wheat, a light pepper, and pumpkin seeds. I'll say it: Damn, what a tasty hefe! It misses out on perfection by the slimmest of margins...I don't know what it would take to push it over, but I do know a tiny something is indeed missing. Nonetheless, this beer exhibits how every hefeweizen wishes it could taste. The body is a light medium, with low carbonation and a slight grainy feel. People: believe the hype. Best hefe on the planet? I just might have to accede to that, baby! Get some!!

4.58/5  rDev +5%

A huge thanks to my good buddy Curtis for sending me this growler. Shared with some hooligans last weekend.

The appearance is a hazy, straw yellow color with a thick, white head that leaves ample lacing on the glass. The head hangs out indefinitely. So far, so good.

The aroma brings a good bit of banana and wheat.

This beer is extremely well balanced, and goes down effortlessly. What a perfect warm weather beer. The feel is smooth, light (without seeming thin), and creamy. Without question, this is the best American brewed hefeweizen I have ever had. Superb.

3.93/5  rDev -9.9%

4.62/5  rDev +6%

Growler care of jefferz5000. Thanks so much Jeff for working with me over the course of like 2 months to get this in time to share with my hefeweizen loving friend who was visiting this weekend.

Multiple glasses poured from a growler into a weizen glass. It appears a cloudy yellow color with a finger of white head. The powers of retension are pretty decent and the lacing on the glass is quite interesting. Initially the head sticks in a layer of webbing all around the top as the head fades but as the experience continues it shows faint spots about the glass while sips are taken and it is swirled.

The aroma of live oak's hefeweizen is a perfect balance of light clove spice, banana, citrus and fruit. There are even minor suggestions of bubblegum that come through the back of the nose. This is a mighty fine smelling hefeweizen.

The taste of this offering is exactly what you would expect based off of the aroma's indication: banana, clove, fruitiness, light spicey character and bubblegum. It is lightly sweet upfront with a grainy/wheat flavor. The aftertaste includes spices like clove and mild wheaty grans with light suggestiosn of everything that was mentioned in both the aroma and initial taste.

This is a medium to light bodied brew that is modestly carbonated. A very drinkable offering with no indication of alcohol but is so fully flavored for a wheat beer. It has the perfect blend of flavors with the typical wheat, clove and banana but this offering is balanced perfectly and no single characteristic rises to be more dominant than the other. It just works perfectly together. Once the beer reaches warmer temperatures a slight presence of the alcohol starts to peak out and enhance the spice of the clove.

Heading into this, I was very skeptical about how good it was going to be. I am very picky about the hefeweizen style and this one really lived up to what I was expecting. If you havent had this one yet, you need to.

3.58/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.66/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Body is a very cloudy, very yellow wheaty color, almost seems to glow; looks amazing. The head is pretty small for a hefe but sticks around for a while, and the smaller head is probably due to being in a growler a few days anyway. (EDIT: I gave a much more aggressive pour for my second glass and the head was a lot better.)

Smell is intense yeast, lots of sweet banana, cloves and light peppery spice. Got to be the sweetest most intense nose I've smelled on a hefeweizen.

And the taste is just as good or better. So much banana! So much yeast. Just a reall intense and delicious wheat character, mild pepper and clove and mild tartness to provide balance. Truly delicious.

Mouthfeel is incredibly creamy, very well carbed, very full and rich body. Excellent.

This is definitely the best hefeweizen I've had. I was 't sure what to expect or what was supposed to make this beer exceptional but now I get it; it's really a classic hefe taste but just so intense and perfectly executed. Heavy on the sweetness and banana, light on the spice and tartness. Fantastic beer.

9.4/10

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

I'm not sure if giving a thank you to Ballewblake for this is good enough for getting to try this beer. But hey. I did let the dude sleep on my couch when he visited NYC.

Pours a fully clouded orange with a white-ish head. Nose is a nice balance of banana and cloves. I'm not going to sit here and talk about the finer points and complexities of the flavor. It's smooth. It's damn smooth. It's smooth beyond description really. Sure there is the citric tones. The banana. The spices. The blah blee blah. To me this is just one that I don't really want to overly ponder. I just want to drink it. Until about 2027. Feel is extremely smooth on liquid and carbonation. This is one of the best beers I've ever had as far as drinkability. If I had everyday access to this, I would drink it non-stop. So well balanced.

This is a prime example of the skill that American brewers have progressed to. Do what you must to try this beer, but make sure you get it. It's pretty amazing stuff.

4.61/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Nice, murky yellow color. Smell is clove, banana. Taste is where its at. Not overpowering. Follows the aroma. Really enjoyed this Hefeweizen. Solid.

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company