Live Oak HefeWeizen | Live Oak Brewing Company

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Reviews: 432 | Ratings: 1,502
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to pecorasc for sharing this growler with me. Multiple pours into a Great Lakes pilsner glass.

A- Pours a pale, straw yellow color. Very cloudy. Produced three fingers width of white, frothy head. Reduced to a ring throughout consumption. Some lacing as consumed with decent head retention.

S- Simple, but all the traditional components were not only there. but well done. Mixture of fresh, spicy cloves, wheat, and yeast. Really hard to point out much else.

T- Holy hell! Much more complex than the aroma led off to believe. A mix of what seemed like weizen and German wheat yeast. Fresh, spicy cloves upfront with a slightly sweet, sour tang in the background. This tang flavor is present throughout, from beginning to end, making this quite a unique hefeweizen. Midway through a wheat profile develops leading the way to bubble gum finish. Tremendous flavors for such a simple beer.

M- Light bodied and well carbonated. Not much to add here other than that it could be improved ever so slightly.

D- There was something in this beer that just hit the glands in the back of the throat and almost forced me to take an even bigger gulp each time. One of the most drinkable beers I have ever come across. Now this should be the definition of a session beer.

Overall, the most flavorful session beer I have had to date. What really set this beer apart from most other great hefeweizens I have had is the subtle, sweet/sour tang in the background...most likely from their house German wheat yeast. So flavorful, yet so simple. I'm really craving another growler of this one.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

64 oz growler into several glasses. Thanks go to ffejherb for providing this.

Pours a hazy golden orange, with several billowy fingers of foamy bright-white head. Great looking frothy retention to this, which leaves a good amount of robust lacing behind. The aroma is sharp in the nose with crisp bready wheat character, with some bright citric tones of lemon and orange giving this a deep fruity edge. The yeast is just off the charts here for a Hefe, with bubblegum, a bit of ripened banana, and clove being very pronounced. All of the flavors involved meld to form a delicious smelling sharp tang in the nose.

The taste is once again very robust with banana and bubblegum flavors, while sweet bready wheat and lemon zest rolls across the tongue. Clove is a bit more subdued than it was in the aroma, adding some light zest that works well with the tartness of the citrus. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, with one of thee smoothest, creamiest, quenching, and all around easy drinking feels on a beer that I've ever had. This is one of those beers that I could put down a growler of in record time and not give one damn about sharing any of it. Just so freaking delicious and easy drinking, it should be a crime.

This is the second time I've reviewed this and I don't think that either of them really get across just how full flavored and easy this beer is. One day I'll get to try this on tap and then die a happy man.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

I hadn't heard of this beer before it was brought to a recent tasting by drabmuh. Thanks Matt for bringing a true gem and sharing it with 12 other people!

Poured from a growler. Cloudy, yellowy gold color. Nice bits of yeast in suspension which is always great for a Hefe. The gold sheen of the beer was nice in the light. It would have been great to get a full pour into a pint glass to truly admire the appearance, but my mom always told me it was nice to share with others....so I did.

Smell is a great combination of clove, banana, and yeast. There are hints of grass and orange peel or some kind of citrus. Overall the aroma was a fairly strong presence.

The taste brought out the same characteristics as the smell with additions of wheat and a slight tartness. I definitely got more citrus peel character in the flavor.

Mouthfeel was excellent with a healthy amount of carbonation that gave the beer a lively feel on the palate.

Drinkability is truly outstanding and I usually don't give 5s in this category, but I truly think this beer would be sessionable by everyone, including my wife who doesn't like beer.

4.62/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured with a golden color, nice fluffy head, and had opaque body. Smells of banana, some citrus fruits, and a small hint of vanilla. The taste was a nice change from most hefeweizens I've tasted, the different fruits used in a unique blend. I especially enjoyed the small hint of vanilla. Very drinkable beer, easily sessionable and overall a joy to drink.

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

A long time target short list want provided with great speed by a wonderful stand-up BA that I will just randomly send beer to from now on.

Poured from a growler into a wheat beer glass. I was nervous about the growler but when I cranked the top I heard the tell tale "HISS" of carbon escaping and a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Beer is dark yellow and completely opaque, huge haze to it. It forms an aggressive and full head of small to medium bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is steady and moderate. This beer looks beautiful.

The aroma is in your face with this beer. Its not quite like a wheat wine but it pushes that boundary for sure. Strong banana and cloves. Completely fills my face with this aroma. I could smell it from a couple of feet away. It is SO good.

Wonderful flavor as well. First, this is the most drinkable beer I've ever had. Greater than 5 IMO. Medium body, slightly more body than I was expecting, but its still wonderful. Some good sweetness up front and a lot of good flavor in the back with a nice wheaty feeling to it. Great ester characters throughout the palate and beer. Gets better the more you drink. Just spectacular. The carbonation give the beer a slight sourness that helps connectivitiy. This is seriously one of the best BEERS I have ever had.

This is seriously one of my favorite beers. I should look into getting a keg of this because I would make it my daily drinker. Its a cruel set of circumstances that I am in DC and this beer is in Austin. I have an outstanding ISO Live Oak Hefeweizen out from now on.

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to xpimptastikx for sending a growler of this for the most recent cycle of GATM. Shared with friends on 1/23/10.

A - Poured a hazy golden body with a finger's width of fluffy, bright white head that settled into a quarter inch of creamy retention and yielded a bit of spotty lace.

S - Dominant wheat malt character with hints of clove and bubblegum. However, both the clove and bubblegum notes are quite subtle for the style. Instead, a lemony citrus quality is apparent, as well as mild floral notes and sweet malt. Very subtle yet pleasant aroma.

T - Obviously, the flavor is quite wheaty and bready, giving the malt the upper hand over the other elements. The yeast character is very apparent, although quite subtle at the same time. The clove spiciness is very subtle, emerging in the middle along with slight peppery notes, and lasts through to the backend. However, the sweet and spicy notes do not dominate at all. Finishes with a touch of banana and faint floral hop notes.

M - Medium bodied with a very silky texture and soft carbonation, providing only a bit of prickle on the tongue. Mouthfeel is quite creamy overall. Finishes with a hint of sweetness and spice on the palate.

D - Live Oak has managed to create an extremely drinkable Hefe that goes slightly against the norm. This is my first experience with this brewery, and I was not disappointed. While this isn't an example of a run-of-the-mill Hefe, it does possess everything there is to enjoy with a wheat beer - a pleasant bready maltiness, subtle spicy yeast and a hint of lemony zing. Very nice!

4.62/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to JDV for trading me this growler!

Poured into a conic pint glass, pours a golden peach color, hazy with some particles in suspension. Fluffy yet sticky eggshell white head that leaves moderate lacing on the glass. The nose is sweet with bananas, bubble gum, honey, and lots of wheat and yeast giving a bready character. There is a nice bouquet of herbal scents with cloves and nutmeg, a hint of ginger as well.

The taste is lots of banana with some cloves, wheat, yeast, and vanilla. Finishes with a nice hop tang.

Mouthfeel is good, moderate carbonation but a little syrupy as well. Very nice and refreshing. Overall a very drinkable beer. Makes me wish that I could drink it all summer. Definitely the best American HefeWeizen I've had yet.

2.43/5  rDev -44.3%

Came with a finger's worth of bone-white head with low retention. Nose was heavy on banana with an undercurrent of clove. Color was a hazy golden-yellow. Mouthfeel was medium with a LOT of banana esters on the tongue. Stylistically, a great example, especially for an American brewer, but for me, I was shiveringly cold on it. Finish was not a total fruit bomb, but it was too close for my liking. Cloves, people! Fermentation at lager temps, please.

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this in my Secret Santa package from ballewblake. Thanks for everything once again Blake. Never thought I would try this.

A- Pours a very nice golden hazy yellow color. Good size one finger bone white head that dies down after a minute or two. Nice lacing was left on the sides of the glass the entire beer.

S- Very nice wheaty bready smell comes on first. Banana and light clove notes make up a big portion of the nose as a whole. This smells clean...kind of hard to explain what I mean.

T- The tastes in this beer are amazing. Everything is big and long with the tastes. Nice yeasty taste hits perfect with the clove banana. No one flavor takes over the other until the end when the banana seems to be the last flavor that gently fades away.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was perfect for this beer. Kind of a creamy mouthfeel as well. Clove and banana is left on the palate well after the sips are done. This is also true with the aftertaste. Very clean taste and flavors are sharp!

D- This is just wow! I was very glad to have gotten the chance to try this beer. This has to be one of the top 3 Hefeweizen I have ever had. Hands down this is the best American Hefeweizen I have tasted.

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

had it in austin...

pour is nice with a lemon yellow cloudy golden color. nose is crisp floral, clove, and a very very delicate banana. boy do i love a fresh well made hef. and this is it. palate is crisp with lavender, chamomile, banana, clove and apple. very refreshing. had two. quite a creamy mouthfeel. minty crisp finish.

the best on this site... and won't argue. its fantastic. but i've had german hefs on tap in source and they were just as great.

when older the floral mild into something of wet chamomile and lavender... banana is a bit more prevalent then. feel doesn't have the clean quality anymore but till not stale.

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Cloudy golden-yellow body with a creamy alabaster head. Leaves nice, thin, long sheets of lace as the beer is imbibed. The nose is all bubble tape original bubble gum, cloves and banana. The taste shows bubble gum, wheat malt, coriander, banana and freshly juiced pear. The real highlight of this beer is the mouthfeel. It's what makes this example unique. Without a doubt this hefe' has the thickest, heaviest, creamiest, most luxurious feel I've ever experienced for the style. This mouthfeel belongs on an Imperial Stout! Extremely tasty and drinkable, a treat and unique experience. I am lucky to have this available on tap nearby and will have this one frequently from this point on.

3.95/5  rDev -9.4%

Was wondering when I was going to try this highly regarded hefeweizen...and then I found out Mauerhan was so graciously going to share a growler he had just received in a trade. Thanks man!

A: Murky yellow with hints of orange. White fluffy head was immediately evident, but subsided after a minute or two.

S: Subtle banana and clove/spice-like aromas accompanied by wheat malts.

T: The first thing I noticed was the sweet malt character in the beginning and middle of this beer, then the banana and light fruit character thereafter.

M: Nice light body on it with mild carbonation, which was perfect for this style of ale.

D: I found the more I drank this, the more I liked this brew. All the flavors gelled well together, and the 4.10% ABV makes this tremendously drinkable.

Overall: A very good beer and a great hefeweizen. Not sure I would seek out, but would definitely jump at the chance of trying this beer at a bar or buddy's house again. A try it beer. Cheers!

4.07/5  rDev -6.7%

thanks thanks to wagenvolks for sending this out. enjoyed with olieipa.

pours a cloudy golden straw color with a half finger white head that flashes in the pan and is gone. slight lacing.

smell is full of banannas cloves wheat malts and full of estery goodness.

taste is yummy. a bit of banana with some spicy cloves. a subtle sweetness. very tasty.

overall a very tasty hef. would love to drink more of it. drinkble to t. thanks drew.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

Multiple samples at 2009 GABF.

With all the extreme beer available at the GABF, this was the only hefe I tried. It's reputation as one of the world's best is deserved, this is fantastic beer.

The wheat produces a crackery grain flavor that pairs with the typical banana and a mild clove note. This beer may not wow some people, but anyone that has experienced a selection of top-notch hefes will know right away that this is no ordinary beer.

There is just something about it, those wheat, banana, and clove flavors are simply amazing. Perhaps the flavors are just a bit brighter or deeper, maybe it is the creamy smooth body, but I can't name a better American made Hefeweizen and I would be hard pressed to name a better German take on the style...ok, maybe Weihenstephaner, but its close.

Now they just need to bottle more of it and start shipping cases to Denver!

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler courtesy of wagenvolks. Thanks so much for the trade!
Poured from 64oz growler into Hefe glass.

A - Pours a cloudy dark golden/light orange color with a fluffy white head. The foamy goodness leaves a good amount of lacing behind along the sides of the glass and a half a fingers worth of head sticks around as the cap.

S - Ripe bananas mixed with wheat and yeast notes. Smells very fresh like it was just poured from the tap right in front of me. Maybe a small hint of cloves, but mostly bananas and yeast.

T - This has a more subtle banana flavor to it then I expected, which I like. It seems to me that too often, the sweet banana flavors overtake everything else...not with this one. Some really nice bread notes mixed with a hint of cloves on the finish that has a nice bite.

M - Light and refreshing that goes down so easy and smooth. It does have some body on it for a Hefe, but still sticks right to the style overall.

D - Super-easy to drink...gotta save some for the g/f or else I'd drink the entire growler by myself. Live Oak really killed it with this Hefe and I'm going to hit up wagenvolks again for another one in the very near future.

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

Ditmier provided a growler of the Live Oak Hefe to get the ball rolling at Friday night's tasting... I had quite a few pours of this over the course of the night... Thanks Eric.

Hazy lite pale golden... nice head.. sorta creamy looking.

Nose is more estery than phenolic with bananas coming in ahead of the cloves... Smell is very fresh.

Flavor is pretty much the same as the aroma... bready with the above noted components.. I think what makes this a standout in the hefe category is that even though we're all getting it in growlers from Texas.... it is still a whole hell of alot more fresh than the bottles from the motherland. medium body with a fair amount of carbonation that somehow still seems pretty creamy.

Really glad I got to try this again... had a few pours at the GABF.. but this was very nice... I would buy it all the time if it was available, but for now.. I will have to just enjoy my SN Kellerwiess.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Had on tap at The Flying Saucer in Garland, TX...

Arrives a cloudy pale yellowish orange with a 3 inch head... This looks stupidly delicious...

The aromas on this are ridiculous... Its the best hefe smell x2... Loaded with wheaty clove-y banana-y goodness.. Its pungent and sweet and delicious smelling...

What a delightful mixture of flavors this brew brings forth...I could drink this one after another on a hot summer night... Its ridiculously tasty...spot on for the hefe style...

Finally got to try this right off the tap and it was worth it... Delicious...

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Two large draft samples at GABF 2009.

A - Pours a great slightly hazy straw color with a medium-sized creamy white head and solid lacing.

S - Aroma is banana, clove, wheat, and yeast. Perfectly to style.

T - Long-lasting and full flavor of sweet pale malt and wheat, banana, clove, spice, and yeast.

M - Palate is medium-light and fairly crisp. Refreshing.

D - About as high as it gets. This is a great, spot-on example of the hefeweizen style.

4.59/5  rDev +5.3%

On tap the Flying Saucer in Austin, courtesy of a very generous ride from MiguelMandingo. Thanks Mike.

A: Pours a cloudy body the color of grapefruit juice. I _love_ cloudy bodies in hefs. A finger of off-white head recedes into a light film on the brew, and leaves some streaks down the glass. I'd love some more suds, but it's hard to complain about the immensely milky body.

S: Straw/grain, cloves, banana, pears, bubblegum, and light yeast. Balanced.

T: Follows the nose very well. A straw-grain flavor, reminding me at times of hay and crackers, with some clove bite up front. Banana and pear are restrained at first, but as the beer warms, they really open up and give the beer a nice roundedness. Bubblegum underneath with light yeast in the finish. A crisp ending that accentuates the tartness, but there is a lightly lingering earthy hop bitterness that I didn't pick up on in the smell or main flavor. What's nice is that the beer is remarkably tasty without having any one flavor dominate; it is balanced and flows over the tongue with ease.

M: Light-bodied, medium-high carbonation. Crisp without being too biting. The finish is slightly dry, which works very well with the crispness.

D: Not the absolute best hef I have ever had -- I still give that honor to New Glarus -- but this is a great example of the style.

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

Received a hand bottled umm bottle in a trade after the growler broke in transit. Curse you UPS!

Pours a striking glowing gold, almost fluorescent. Very cool looking. Minimal head that quickly disappeared.

Lots of pear and citrus aromas, some banana. No clove.

Beer is very effervescent, well carbonated. Slightly tart. Loads of banana, only a very faint clove taste. Light bready taste. Green Apples, lemons, citrus all over. Some vanilla notes. Moderate body, surprising with all the carbonation. Bit of an odd aftertaste, not a clean finish.

Heard a lot of hype about this, especially from my friends in Texas. I must say, it lived up to the hype. A fantastic American Hefe, balanced, fruity, and unique. I would dare to say this is the best American style Hefeweizen in the US.
Live Oak would have a surefire hit if they released this in bottles, especially with distribution.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks very much to wagenvolks for the opportunity to try and share this with friends. Just as a caveat - this was shipped in some serious August heat and there was a bit of CO2 escaping that occurred due to expansion in the bottle.

Served in my ST tulip. Poured a cloudy orange with an off-white head that quickly dissipated - looked a lot like Tang (the drink of astronauts). Nose was clove, citrus and yeast. Taste consistent with nose, somewhat mellow and muted flavor profile with some citrus astringency lingering at the back. Character changes slightly as it warms with some banana notes coming out as well. Mouthfeel was light bodied with a consistent level of background effervescence - finish was fairly clean and dry. Easy drinking and quite flavorful - perhaps the most drinkable beer I've ever had a 4% abv. I can only assume that this beer is nothing short of outstanding on draught because it was still very respectable considering what it went through to get to me.

4.46/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to iconoklazor for leaving this one with me after DLD. Shouldn't have waited so long to drink it!

Pours a very cloudy golden yellow with minimal head. Lots of sediment in the bottle. Probably drinking it a little too cold, but whatever.

Smell is very tart. Wow didn't expect that. There are some more traditional hefe flavors in there, banana maybe, but the sourness definitely dominates. I like it, and I bet it's better fresh before some of the flavors have faded. It's a lot like a lambic but definitely different.

Great.

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

Best Hefe in Texas!

A: Cloudy dry wheat appearance with a creamy two-finger head that leaves deliciously sticky lace behind as a memory of beer that I have already enjoyed.

S: Banana bread, cloves, and yeast. A lasting tropical tartness rounds out the aroma to bring a smell that is most pleasing.

T: A chorus of sweet banana, clove spice, yeasty goodness, and bitter hop finish create a flavor profile that is flat out amazing. This is an amazing beer.

M: Medium body. Appropriate pop to the carbonation for style.

D: Best damn hefe you will find. End of discussion.

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Was fortunate enough to have this while in Texas recently. Enjoyed at the Flying Saucer in Houston..

Fluffy wispy white head rises above the hazy golden colored beer. Some slight orange tones. A nice color. Decent retention and lacing.

Aroma is very fresh, very bready and spot on for the style. Ripe banana, spices, yeasty goodness. Some light clove.

Silky smooth is the first thing that comes to mind. Really almost creamy. A good amount of depth and a wonderful banana bread flavor. Excellent depth to the spice. Decent little beer. There is almost a vanilla quality that comes with the creaminess.

Quite drinkable and perfect for a hot Texas day. I can see why this is so popular.

Nice representation of the style.

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

I got a growler of this beer in a trade with xpimptastikx, Thanks Michael!

Served in a weizen glass.

Hazed yellow color with a white head that thinned to a ring.
Wheaty and yeasty aroma with spices thrown in.
There is solid malted wheat spices and yeast all the way through.
Medium bodied, very smooth feel and it was very easy to drink.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company