Live Oak HefeWeizen | Live Oak Brewing Company

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2003

Ratings: 1,631 |  Reviews: 459
4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sharing this one!

Poured into mini weizen glass.

Pours 1/2 finger of white head. Fades down no lace left (probably because it was a growler). Color is a very hazed straw hued peach yellow.

Aroma: Cloves, bananas, yeast flavors, light wheat. Smells like a very nice hefe.

Taste: A lot more wheat here than the aroma. Orange peel and bananas up front. Cloves as well. Pretty solid.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, and slightly crisp. Light to medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with some wheat flavors, a bit dry.

Overall, a very drinkable beer. Represents the style very well. Multiple pours of this will be no problem. Very happy to try this one. Reminds me a bit like Schells.

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Growler courtesy of GregSVT. Thanks again, Greg!

A: Pours a dark lemon slash very pale copper with a very nice white head and a good amount of lacing as it goes down.

S: All of the requisite hefeweizen scents are there, although the bubblegum and clove take the front seat. Good balance between everything that's going on, and a bit more intense than the typical hefeweizen.

T: The bubblegum flavor is the most intense, with a bit of clove spice coming through. Not too much banana in this one.

M: Light-medium body with good carbonation.

D: Very, very nice indeed. A good beer to sit around with all day long. I wish I had regular access.

3.99/5  rDev -8.5%

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

How is it that I've never rated Live Oak's Hefeweizen? It's just one of those things. The first time I had it I drank so much of it that I was half asleep flat on my back in the back of a pickup truck during the long ride (15 minutes seemed like an hour) back to Austin-central before the sun had gone down. After that it just became a "go to" beer. Perhaps I'd assumed I'd already reviewed it - that's usually the case. Anyway, the overall score shows it, currently 97 with 414 reviews. Good stuff! Don't pass it by.

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to dcloeren for this interesting beer. I'm not usually a big Hefe fan these days, but if I find a really good one I can really enjoy it.

Nice creamy head fades at med pace light lacing very hazy carrot orange color.

Nose typical well done hefe, banana, citrus, tangerine, blood orange, clove, coriander, light creaminess and effervescent.

Taste very nice, again typical but well done. Spices coriander, clove, light esters, banana, tangerine, light clementine and citrus, juicy, very light bitterness. Finish is dry, clean effervescent, tasty.

Mouth is med to lighter bodied, juicy, decent carb.

Overall awesome. A perfect rendition of a Hefe. All the correct flavors and aromas in good portion, effervescent, tasty, juicy, fresh, etc. This reminds me of drinking the fresh Weihenstephan Hefe at the brewery in Freising, and exactly what I meant by really enjoying a well done Hefe in the summer, despite not one of my fav styles.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

Acquired via trade from jtortorice, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 64oz growler into a weizen glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of wheat, bananas, spices, citrus, light caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out bready with strong flavors of wheat and yeast. Then some sweet flavors of bananas, spices and citrus come in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and there's a mild but complementary hops presence that help provide a very good balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, mild kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent sessionable beer with all of the flavor and substance that make it worth drinking for an entire evening.

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Served on tap at Opal Divine's Marina in Austin, TX

A: Pours a cloudy pale straw yellow in color with some light amounts of small white yeast particles and moderate to heavy amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a two finger tall dense foamy bright white head that had great retention properties and slowly reduced to a small half finger tall cap in the center of the beer. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of wheat with banana, clove, and some lighter amounts of lemon citrus.

T: Moderate flavors of wheat with some lighter amounts of banana, clove, orange peel, and lemon citrus.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Extremely easy to drink and refreshing, quite a thirst quencher. I really enjoyed this beer and it could definitely be a session beer for me as I would have no problem putting down several of these. Also, a great hot weather beer.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

64 oz growler into several glasses. Thanks go to ffejherb for providing this.

Pours a hazy golden orange, with several billowy fingers of foamy bright-white head. Great looking frothy retention to this, which leaves a good amount of robust lacing behind. The aroma is sharp in the nose with crisp bready wheat character, with some bright citric tones of lemon and orange giving this a deep fruity edge. The yeast is just off the charts here for a Hefe, with bubblegum, a bit of ripened banana, and clove being very pronounced. All of the flavors involved meld to form a delicious smelling sharp tang in the nose.

The taste is once again very robust with banana and bubblegum flavors, while sweet bready wheat and lemon zest rolls across the tongue. Clove is a bit more subdued than it was in the aroma, adding some light zest that works well with the tartness of the citrus. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, with one of thee smoothest, creamiest, quenching, and all around easy drinking feels on a beer that I've ever had. This is one of those beers that I could put down a growler of in record time and not give one damn about sharing any of it. Just so freaking delicious and easy drinking, it should be a crime.

This is the second time I've reviewed this and I don't think that either of them really get across just how full flavored and easy this beer is. One day I'll get to try this on tap and then die a happy man.

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Reviewed from notes. Growler shared.

A: Pours a hazy pale yellow under a half-inch thick white head which fades to the rim slowly and leaves spotty lace.

N: Pungent banana esters, wheat grains, yeast, clove, fruity, mild earth.

T: Follows nose with mild citrus overtones.

M: Light body and medium carbonation. Creamy, fruity and wheaty finish.

O: Solid and well balanced. Would definitely have again.

4.9/5  rDev +12.4%

4.39/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at the Austin Ginger man. It was a hazy, light orange/yellow color with a thin and spotty head to it. It left some moderate lacing as I drank it as well. A very nice looking beer for the style.

The aroma had a sweet wheat flavor along with banana, lemony citrus and a moderate clove spiciness. Very flavorful and well rounded Hefewiezen aroma.

I get lots of clove flavor throughout the beer. Lemony citrus and a nice banana flavor come through as well as a sweeter wheat malt flavor. Good but the clove flavor was a bit too overdone. Mine came served with a lemon the side. I drank half and made the notes above and then added the lemon. The lemon really softened the strong clove flavor I got without it and helped some of the bubblegum and citrus flavors stand out more. I'm not sure how the brewer intended it to be served but given where I had it I'll trust the way it was served.

The mouthfeel is Light with above avg carbonation. Drinkability is good, the clove was a little overpowering at first but it mellowed the more I drank. Otherwise it was a nicely flavored and easy drinking beer.

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours an effervescent gold with 3+ fingers of cream colored head.. Traces of head retention & lacing

S: Rubberband, breadyness,

T: Follows the nose, cloves as well up front. Breadyness, white grapes & juicyfruit as this warms. Finishes with pears, a little bready dryness & cloves

MF: Medium body, lively carbonation

Very drinkable, thought it was better the last time I had it, but still really good

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Huge thanks to Lee for sending this my way!

A: Pours a hazy straw yellow color with a one finger white head on top, nice retention with minimal lacing.

S: Lots of wheat, banana, and cloves in the aroma. Lots of spice on the back end, Belgian spices, a little bit of bubble gum.

T: Lots more banana mixed with bread and wheat. Plenty of yeast which comes through as some cloves, nutmeg, and faint pepper. A bit of bubblegum comes through at the end.

M: Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Extremely smooth and easy drinking.

O: One of the best hefeweizens I have had. Great flavor profile and easy drinking. If only it was easier to get outside of Texas!

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A wonderful representation of the style. Very robust a full-flavored. Would love if this was available to me on a regular basis. Great beer.

4.9/5  rDev +12.4%

Ok, so I have been waiting to try this one forever. Much thanks goes out to JDV for hooking me up with a trade on this. Been waiting for a certain BA to get off his butt and meet me to split this one, and finally got around to it last night. In the great company of goindownsouth, his wife, and our favorite bartender Meg, we all split this growler with dinner. This was a really fun night.

Appearance - So this one poured out absolutely wonderfully, words cannot express how god this actually was, but I will do my best to give it a shot here. The pour was very lively, dumping a very rich, sediment filled bright liquid into the glass. The color was a little heavier then your typical golden yellow, some light peach tones in it, mostly due to the haze. This was such a hazy and cloudy beer, it was literally insane how much sediment there was floating around in here, it was nearly opaque from it, but enough light got through to really show off the colors very well. A beautiful three finger high head of lace formed on top. A very nice pillow of white, that hung around for what seemed like forever before settling down to just a thin film across the top which lasted for the rest of the session Deep white foamy lace was dripping all over the sides of the glass here, really thickening up as you went through. Some carbonation visible streaming up from the bottom to reinforce this as well. Now as far as Hefe's go, I have never seen one like this, I could not have imagined this looking any better, really just superb. The end of the growler was thick and chunky from so much settling down( your welcome Dan).

Smell - The aroma on this was insane. Again I have to say this was like a whole new style for me, as it opened my eyes as to what these should taste like, not the bland, light and utterly dull American version of a Hefe I am used to, this was nuts. Huge aromas coming off of this one, from the moment we unscrewed the cap. A deep rich banana flavor overtook me right away, and dominated the senses, mixed in with this were hints of vanilla, and peach, which I was clearly able to pick up right away. Some very nice notes of cloves and even a touch of vanilla were all readily picked up, and though for me it was the fresh banana that stole the show. As it warmed a little, I was starting to get those nice light notes of fresh wheat and grain mixing in now. Overall fantastic, I cannot imagine this smelling and better or any more inviting, dare I say perfect.

Taste - The flavor continued on right where the aroma left off, with one important change though, it was actually better! It is really hard to even put into words how good this was, and I am glad I am not alone in this judgment, as I am sure all who were there will attest to. This was just fantastic. Huge notes of banana and cloves come ripping right out of the gate. There was nothing harsh about this as every flavor was so intricately separate and distinct, yet at the same time, it was all effortlessly blended together. I was detecting lots of peach like notes, light fruit of various types, even hints of apricot now mingling in with the banana, which really just did not quit. There were wild grain notes weaving in and out of the profile now, giving it even more depth then it already had. Some very nice hints of vanilla now rounding it out towards the finish. The finish was nice and clean, with a touch of crispness to it. Flavor did not linger long, what did linger was a nice light fruity note, which was just outstanding and really sealed the deal for this one, at least for me. Again, I could not picture this tasting and better or any more complex then it did. I tried to describe the flavor as best I could, but to be honest, it was beyond description.

Mouthfeel - The feel on this was so light and airy. Very good profile here with not even the slightest bit of watering down or thinness to it at all. The carbonation level was top notch, in fact, it almost felt as if it was getting better as the session wore on, simply amazing. Great smooth and extremely clean feeling, this was just great. Nice finish as well, very well done.

Drinkability - Cannot imagine this getting any better here at all. I mean c'mon what was there here not too like. The flavors were intense, yet inviting, the carbonation was never dull, low ABV, well pretty much none, and a wonderful sense of smoothness. To say I could drink this forever would be about right. I could not imagine this one getting dull in anyway. Really very good.

Overall I think I have said how good this was enough here, but one more time, this was simply stated one of the best beers I have ever had, hands down. I love the bigger, intense beers we all crave, but sometimes you need something like this to bring you back to your roots, to show what can be done in the normal range, and how complex a style that can at times seem so simple and overdone, can really become. I was literally blown away by this.

2.43/5  rDev -44.3%

Came with a finger's worth of bone-white head with low retention. Nose was heavy on banana with an undercurrent of clove. Color was a hazy golden-yellow. Mouthfeel was medium with a LOT of banana esters on the tongue. Stylistically, a great example, especially for an American brewer, but for me, I was shiveringly cold on it. Finish was not a total fruit bomb, but it was too close for my liking. Cloves, people! Fermentation at lager temps, please.

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a growler into a tulip. Big thanks to SSW117 for this one; thanks Sam!

a - Pours a murky orange golden color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of bananas, spices, cloves, and wheat.

t - Tastes of spices, bananas, cloves, wheat, and grain.

m - Light body and light carbonation. Very easy to drink; I feel like I could drink this whole growler by myself.

d - While this isn't my favorite style, this is a very good beer. It smelt and tasted very good and the mouthfeel was great. Very drinkable and something I would love to have again sometime. If I could get this on tap normally I would probably start every session with a glass.

Live Oak HefeWeizen from Live Oak Brewing Company