Live Oak Oaktoberfest | Live Oak Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2003

Reviews: 38 | Ratings: 136
Reviews by MattSweatshirt:
3.64/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Flying Saucer Addison

Pours a clear dark orange/copper with a slightly off white that is kinda soapy and falls down to a thin film with good retention.

The aroma is rich in malt character with caramel, toasted bread, toffee and some spicy and herbal hop. The spice and bread come off as rye like which my be in there.

Big bready spicy taste on this. Touch of sweetness with the caramel and toffee.

Clean lager finish. Crisp and medium bodied.

I love this brewery for crafting well made German styles in my home state. This goes towards the top of the list of Oktoberfest biers for me.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap at the Addison Flying Saucer.

The beer pours a reddish-amber color with a white head. The aroma is classic Marzen. I get a whole lot of toffee and bread as well as some grapes - which I get in almost every German lager. The flavor is more of the same with a ton of malt. This is a malt bomb of a beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Another very nice beer from Live Oak.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.91/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a pint glass Orange with a thin white head. Good lacing all the way down.

I was in a bar, so my already weak nose can't give a review of this.

The taste was full of malts with a nice orange spice. The end of the palatte had a nice hop bitterness to finish.

The body was very full for the style which was a nice bonus.

4.63/5  rDev +19%

Best Octoberfest I have ever had (probably due to freshness). It had about a half inch head that lingered for 5 minutes or. (I took my time) I have never seen a head like that on a lager style beer. Fairly strong okfest, ABV wise... I would guess %6-7.

There was a lot going on flavor wise. As the beer warmed a little, the flavor of apples an other fruits became more prominant... Live Oak has got to start bottling!

3.96/5  rDev +1.8%

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

I had this on tap at two locations last week during my trip to Texas. The first pint I had was at the Flying Saucer in San Antonio.

The beer was surprisingly smooth and had a malty flavor with a hint of caramel. Although I wasn't having it with food, I think it would have gone quite nicely with a burger or meat, maybe a stew even.

I'm not typically into most "Oktoberfest" brews, but this one was very drinkable.

The second place I had it was at the Shady Grove in Austin. Just as good as the first time, I was very impressed with it.

3.5/5  rDev -10%