Live Oak Oaktoberfest | Live Oak Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2003

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

4.64/5  rDev +19.9%

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

Best Octoberfest I have ever had (probably due to freshness). It had about a half inch head that lingered for 5 minutes or. (I took my time) I have never seen a head like that on a lager style beer. Fairly strong okfest, ABV wise... I would guess %6-7.

There was a lot going on flavor wise. As the beer warmed a little, the flavor of apples an other fruits became more prominant... Live Oak has got to start bottling!

4.62/5  rDev +19.4%

On tap at Dog&Duck, Austin.

Nothing quite as exciting as a new keg of the latest Live Oak seasonal. There's a small, dense head. It's a deep cream color, almost tan, and fades evenly to a thin ring. Almost no lacing on the (slightly damp) glass. The beer is dark amber, clear, with a few sluggish, lumbering bubbles of carbonation. A flowery, fruity, hoppy nose only hints at the deep caramel malt to come. Front is tangy. Middle is fruity with almost overwhelming caramel maltiness. Sweetish, but definitely not syrupy or sugary. Nice, bitter hoppy finish shows some roasty grains. And still plenty of caramel left over.

This is an aggressive oktoberfest. It's overflowing with tangy fruit, caramel and flowery hops. Wow.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours deep amber in color with a creamy off-white head that settles into a good amount of lace. Nose is sweet and malty and very inviting. Moderate in body and rather creamy in texture. Taste begins with sweet caramel malt and a bit of toffee followed by some bready notes. Fruity hops come along towards the end giving a nice balance to the beer. Very nice—one of my favorite oktoberfests. Sampled on-tap at the Addison Flying Saucer.

4.46/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into a Willi Becher pint. The appearance is phenomenal! It pours with perfect clarity, showing off moderate carbonation through the beautiful amber gold body, with rose-colored highlights throughout. This is all capped by a substantial peach-hued foam that shows true staying power. Very powerful, and absolutely perfect for the marzen style.

The aroma is just right for the style. Whiffs of honey malt, toasted bread, and a faint caramel sweetness all come together in the bouquet, and show that this beer is primarily focused on the rich malts put into the brew. Some hints of Noble hops are there as well, though clearly only as a supporting role.

Oaktoberfest possesses a sweet malt flavor, followed mid-palate by a gentle German hop bitterness that trails into the aftertaste. The medium bodied beer has ample carbonation for a German-style lager, and the finish is long and very smooth, with barely a hint of bitterness. The flavor carries notes of honey and caramel, almost so sweet that it seems to have a fruity quality, but it does not. The hop bitterness mid-palate has a grassy bite to it. The toasted malt flavor linger long into the aftertaste.

This is a delicious beer, with a solid malt profile that is evenly balanced with true Noble hop flavor and bitterness. It's very much in the style of an authentic German marzen, and I am impressed with this beer quite a bit. Far better than many other "Oktoberfest" beers out there. An almost perfect pint. Another solid German-style beer from Live Oak!

4.36/5  rDev +12.7%

4.36/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

“Don’t look for Live Oak at 7-11 anytime soon” remarked brewer Chip McElroy when asked if his draught only offerings were going to be bottled.

Focus is a good thing.

Live Oak does German styles well and their Oaktoberfest is no exception.
Good malt body with hints of caramel supporting the higher ABV. Enjoy the finish as the hops come in to balance the experience.

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

I had this on tap at two locations last week during my trip to Texas. The first pint I had was at the Flying Saucer in San Antonio.

The beer was surprisingly smooth and had a malty flavor with a hint of caramel. Although I wasn't having it with food, I think it would have gone quite nicely with a burger or meat, maybe a stew even.

I'm not typically into most "Oktoberfest" brews, but this one was very drinkable.

The second place I had it was at the Shady Grove in Austin. Just as good as the first time, I was very impressed with it.

4.29/5  rDev +10.9%

I thought about what I was going to say about this beer for quite a while before I finally decided on this review. I love the beer. In fact, I was tempted to only drink this beer the night I was at the Addison Flying Saucer. But alas, a wide selection makes you turn to other great beers. How horrible!

Anyway, the one thing that made me most confused about how I would review this beer is the fact that the Oaktoberfest is sweet...I mean really sweet. I can see this beer being way too sweet for some beer drinkers and definitely for lovers of Oktoberfest beers.

The beer pours a pretty amber with an orange hue. My pour had very little head but that could be a bad pour by the scantily clad bar wench. The aroma was so lovely, fruity and sweet with a faint floral that hinted that hops were in there somewhere.

OK, I've already mentioned the sweetness. And I also have noted that I love the flavor. But this is one of the sweetest Oktoberfests I have ever had. It seems to be a bit unbalanced, and I hate to say that since I loved it so.

All in all, this is a wonderful beer. But I would have to say as an Oktoberfest is is not as good as the Saint Arnold, for you Texas drinkers.

Last word...delicious.

4.26/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Live Oak Oaktoberfest from Live Oak Brewing Company