Grodziskie | Live Oak Brewing Company

Live Oak Brewing Company
Texas, United States
liveoakbrewing.com

Style: Smoke Beer

Grodziskie resurrects the last indigenous Polish beer style to go extinct in the twentieth century. Originally borne out of necessity in the 11th century CE, to substantiate one's diet and offset lack of potable water for sustenance. Production ceased in Grodzisk in 1991. It is brewed using only oak-smoked wheat malt and assertively hopped like a pilsner. Even with a low ABV, the wheat malt delivers a full-bodied beer. The original Polish ale yeast strain ferments cold, alongside our lager yeast throughout lagering. Please enjoy this truly rare beer.

Added by Getalegup on 08-10-2014

Reviews by kinupanda:

This is probably the first beer I have tried that has made me dry heave; thinking about it while writing this review is causing the same reaction. I had one sip that tasted like burnt melted butter, coating my mouth and triggering my gag reflex. I expect some smoked malt flavor, but that was completely muted... to me, the beer essentially looked and smelled like phenol. That was enough for me to pour this one. I usually stand by the quality of Live Oak's offerings, but to call this one a disappointment is an understatement. Even the bartenders at the establishment at which I tried this called said "we probably couldn't even give this away"... I have to agree.

3.6/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.3/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Looks like a banana smoothie with head. 4.25

Smells like fresh bananas, wood and smoke. Love the smoke. 4.25

Vegetal, earthy, woody, smoky, wheaty and touches of fruity. Don't love the vegetal aspect but love the smoke. 3

Bitter and vegetal over a light body. Smokiness is on point and aggressive but still takes a backseat to the bitterness. Doesn't drink refreshingly as should be the case. 2.25

Sampled first and loved what I tasted but it didn't carry well to a full pour. It was a task to drink this unfortunately.

Live Oak "Grodziskie"
on tap @ Banger's Sausage House & Beer Garden, Austin, TX
$5.50/pint

"Last indigenous Polish beer style. 100% wheat smoked with oak."

Appearance: Hazy, very light straw gold with a "white" cast if that's possible. Short head of bright white foam. Average head retention and lacing.

Aroma: Slightly sweet malt with soft smoke.

Flavor: As in the aroma, but more pronounced. Mildly earthy, spicy and subtly citrusy. Solidly bitter at its center. Dry finish. The smoke gently lingers.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and gently effervescent. Seems appropriate.

Overall: As I've never had this style, nor heard anything of it, I'll have to judge it hedonistically - and I like it! I'm not sure it's a beer I'd go back to beyond one (and I doubt I'd ever have three in a row), but I'd certainly try it again. If you enjoy smoked beer it's nice. It's neither overdone nor too light, and the malt, even though it's a small beer, still comes through.

4.78/5  rDev +34.6%

3.66/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a tulip glass.

Slightly opaque lemon body, with a real nice sudsy white head. Reaches 3 fingers and big shampoo bubbles.

Real simple and solid aroma. Hits with light smoke and soft wheat, with a touch of minerality.

Palate pretty much nicely flows from the nose. Simple smoke, hints a little woodsy, with not much touches of sourness. Light bodied palate, with more minerality in flavor. Touches of rocky notes also.

Pretty nice light smoked brew.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

3.79/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev +12.4%

The von Trapp Kolsch entry gave the name to my Happy Loads of New (Mainly) Lager Beers Sunday (Week 718), but this one was a) the real impetus for the day. I have an affinity for Smoked Beers & when an A. Nony Mous CANQuest (tm) donor sent me one, I decided to make it the keystone of today's adventure. A look at the Notes section of this beer's entry also helps to explain today's title: "The original Polish ale yeast strain ferments cold, alongside our lager yeast throughout lagering." 8=O Forget Karl Jung, this is duality! It might have been an Altbier had they simply fermented the Ale yeast under Lager conditions, but the inclusion of Lager yeast makes it an Ale/Lager yeast hybrid, fermented under Lager conditions. I would LOVE to see this fermented under Ale conditions, just to give all of the little yeasties (thanks Kristin Diane Leonard) a chance to lead the dance. Boom!

From the CAN: "Austin's Original"; "Extraordinary Lagers & Ales craft-brewed in Austin, Texas since 1987 using traditional beer making methods inspired by old-world style beers"; "made in the shade"; "Na Zdrowie!"; "Grodzisk-style Smoked Beer".

I was met with an initial CANundrum - Was this my initial Grodziskie? The Pop!ping of my cherry to CANincide with a Crack! & Glug was enough to give me the vapors. Wait, I swear that I have had one of these before! Ah, yes. A New Belgium/FFF Lips of Faith collaboration called "Grätzer" that I drank following a buddy's burial at sea with fellow shipmates & did not review. The CANfusion comes from the Poles naming their city "Grodzisk" in the 15th century & the Germans renaming it "Gratz" in the 19th century. Same style, same city, two different names!

The Crack! presented me with another brimful craft CAN, but such was not going to deter me from a heavy-handed Glug. This created some massive foaming, resulting in some equally massive head. Like three-plus fingers' worth of dense, foamy, rocky, bone-white head with magnificent retention, leaving beautiful lacing in its wake as a reminder. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose smelled like walking into S. Clyde Weaver's in East Petersburg and taking a deep breath! They are our local (Lancaster Co., PA) purveyors of sweet Lebanon Bologna & while neighboring Lebanon Co. has their own specialty purveyor, I swear by Weaver's. Walking in the door, you are hit with a wave of sweetish, dried, curing meats & this beer smelled EXACTLY like that! Drool. Mouthfeel was medium, but big for a Lager. The taste had a light sweetness to go along with a tanginess from the wheat and the meaty smokiness of the oak. 8=O It was not as intensely smoky as an Aecht Schlenkerla, but neither was it an import. This was made right here in the U.S. of A. which is pretty dang impressive! Even more impressive is that it seems to be one of the brewery's standards. Wow! This is a Smoked Beer for the curious and/or novices. It's smokiness sits at the low end of the spectrum, which is what many/most (?) prefer, but for me, it was kind of light. On the other hand, it's slight sourness from the wheat malt was a change of pace. Finish was dry and smoky, very refreshing. I am extremely thankful for the chance to drink and review this one!

3.9/5  rDev +9.9%

3.29/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Most recently on tap at Hay Merchant in Houston.

A: Pours a vibrant, cloudy yellow color. A two finger white head forms with excellent retention and lace. looks like a spot on Hefe.
S: Up front, all I get is buttery diacetyl. Some grains, and fruity esters come next. All that intermingles with a smoked meat aroma. Odd to say the least.
T: Again, big on the almost buttery popcorn flavor. Definite diacetyl going on here. Fruity esters, even a slight tart lemon flavor. Mixed with the strong and lingering smoked malt character.
M/D: A medium body that is crisp and effervescent. The smoked malt makes this kind of dirty. Even at the ridiculous low ABV, this is still a chore to drink. The yeast and smoke are at odds here.

I can very much appreciate what Live Oak tried to do. Though it did not hit with me. Maybe it was more the perceived diacetyl than the actual awkwardness of the style. Without the buttery note, I might really enjoy this. As is everything is odd at out of wake. Interesting style, interesting take, one of my favorite breweries, but just a miss.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

On-draught @ Live Oak for $5 USD. 3.00% ABV.

Low B / GOOD

***
05/19/18 can:

Neutral up front, finishing smokey but not harsh. A pleasant smoked beer and a more mild alternative to aggressive German rauchbiere.

More solid fare from Live Oak.

High B- / WORTHY

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured a light, slightly hazy straw. Medium white head with light lace. Smelled strongly of smoked malts. Taste up front is the smoked malt, but not as strong as a traditional rauchbier, but still pronounced. Also more smooth than a rauchbier with the wheat characteristics coming through more in the finish. Good carbonation and clean finish. I know a lot of people would find this style unappealing, but if you're familiar with the style beforehand, you'll see that Live Oak has made a great example of the style. I would easily buy this in six packs or bombers if it were available!!

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25