Live Oak Primus Weizenbock | Live Oak Brewing Company

liveoakbrewing.com

Style: Weizenbock

Added by wagenvolks on 11-24-2008

4.19/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served on tap at Nobi Public in a Sam Adams glass

Appearance: Poured a muddy brown, with very little thin bubbly head. No lacing down the glass. I really find the color to be off putting, its almost like drinking swamp water.

Smell: Bananas, cloves, maybe some citrus, a little yeast. Very appealing to say the last.

Taste: A very nice sweetness, malts, caramelized bananas and plantains, some figs and apricot and other dark fruits.

Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation, good body, incredibly drinkable.

Overall: Didn't really know what to expect as I have never had a wizenbock. Other than the appearance this beer was very very good. Another home run by live oak if I say my self.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Growler poured into a British style pint glass

Wow. What an amazing beer.

I've never had this style before. I wasn't planning on getting it when I walked into Premium Draught in Houston, but after trying it I was sold.

Discussed it with the store owner... it's just a hard beer to describe... it certainly has that Hefe smell and taste in parts... but there are other things going on also.. maybe a bit of a Bock taste... as I've said, it's hard to describe... but all I know is this is a great beer being made in Austin, Texas and since it's seasonal, I'm going to start watching for it around ever December!

On the Ford scale of Deliciousness... this one is at the top...

Magically Delicious!

4.94/5  rDev +16.2%

The degree to which this was amazing took me by surprise. The server told me it wass like a barleywine. That was clearly not true on the first sip. Having never experienced a weizenbock before, I still didn't know what it WAS, all I could tell is that it rocked my world. It was like this beer was made for me. I'm surprised so many people agree because I have such odd preferences.
The key feature of this beer was a surprisingly smooth banana flavour. Banana is often a sign of a malty beer oxidizing, but in this beer, it is a character that goes very well with the rest of the beer, while giving it a raw, primal feel, like you're drinking something that was found in a shipwreck off the coast of Gaul. It just tastes like a primitive, but simultaneously amazing variation on beer. It's also surprisingly thin for how malty it is, not in the least but sticky or cloying.
I have ordered this 3 times now at Alamo Drafthouse even though usually I always try a new "Badass beer" every time I go. I'm disappointed that I can't buy it in bottles and that's the only place I know that sells it. All I can say is, if you know a place to get this, GO. Imbibe. It's well worth it. Good luck.

3.97/5  rDev -6.6%

poursa deep brown nice khaki head fades to leave a ring around the glass.
nose is clove, banana, touch of toffee
taste follows. banana, clove, bubblegum, light toffee, caramel
delicious beer