Roggenbier | Live Oak Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by UTCengOwl on 06-10-2011

Reviews by Biermaedchen:
4.83/5  rDev +23.5%

I like beers with history… it makes them all the more interesting. That being said- whoever it was that decided rye ought to be reserved for making solid, as opposed to liquid bread, robbed the world of a tasty brew.

I've had this on tap & brought a growler home to review:

Appearance is a deep hazy brown with a burnt red/orange tint. I’ve never seen a beer that looks similar and it doesn’t look like any Roggenbier I’ve had out of a bottle. A two finger off white head that faded into lacing.

Aroma holds a small hint of floral/citrus with a subtle bready aroma…smells slightly sweet…In a way it’s similar to a Hefe but more malty… very pleasant & inviting and again- unique.

Tastes mildly sweet and hearty, quenches your thirst and invites you back for more sips of a wonderfully balanced sweet, malty, spicy taste. Unlike anything I’ve ever tasted.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation and clean finish.

Overall very refreshing and enjoyable… Light enough to drink a few but complex enough to keep you interested... 'quaffable'. It’s easy to see why LOBC chose this for their summer seasonal and I definitely hope to have it again next summer.

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

3.31/5  rDev -15.3%

On tap at the Whip In in Austin.

The beer pours an amber color with a white head. The aroma has some rye mixed in, but the majority of what I smell is grain.

The flavor is a little better than the aroma. I get a lot of grain and rye notes, as well as some toffee and caramel malt. There are not really any hops present in the beer and the alcohol is not present, which is what I expect for a beer this low in alcohol. While the beer is not too flavorful, it is easy to drink.

Medium mouthfeel and high carbonation.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.11/5  rDev +5.1%

I'm not all that experienced with Rye Beers, but what the hell, let's give this a shot.

The beer pours a hazy caramel orange with a very tight, dirty tan head. I don't think I've seen a beer quite this color before. Interesting. The head is also pretty darned nice to look at while it's up. Then again, it's always a bit dark in the Draught House.

The nose is mainly crisp rye. Some noble hops come in on later sniff, but I'm mainly getting rye.

The taste is up front with spicy rye, but that blends into a mix of tartness and slight caramel sweetness. The mouthful is creamy with perfect carbonation. How does Live Oak do that every time? It's just heavenly to drink. This thing is smooth going down, refreshing and enjoyable. I'd take a keg of this at the house for the warm summer months. Very tasty.

Edit: As I keep drinking, I start to get a slightly dirty buildup on my tongue. Docks a bit from the taste. Still very enjoyable.

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at the Flying Saucer in Addison. Served in a pint glass. Hard to tell the exact color due to poor bar lighting but seemed to be a darker brown with some copper highlights. By the time it got to me, any head was down to a small collar and some moderate carb streams. Moderate sheeting with none sticking.

The aroma was pretty subdued. Sweet malt with some rye but nowhere near what others had mentioned. What was their smelled good but needed to be amped up more as I had to sniff hard to get any aroma. The flavor was stronger than the aroma and a good light rye flavor to go along with the bready malt. Very drinkable and goes down smooth on a hot day. Mouthfeel was light and a little watery. Good carbonation and not much aftertaste.

Overall, an interesting beer but it just didn't have as much aroma or flavor as I'd expected. Refreshing but can't say I'd be searching it out. Would like to try again just to make sure I got a good sample of it [resample]

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev 0%

huge thanks to my boy jamie for the little growler so I could get a taste

rich hazelnut brown color coming forward immediatly from the glass. Rich looking, and very clear. Lots of carbonation bubbling up toward the surface to reinforce a rich looking head of about an inch in height that settled down to a nice thin veil with a good amount of side glass lace.

The aroma was rich, Lots of caramel mixed in as well. providing a slightly sweet balance to it. The only downside would have to be the lightness of the aroma, needed a little more kick. The flavor was very well rounded. Started with a nice punch of caramel, with a decent roasted malt, and smoked quality coming through in the middle. Light grain and bready nature with a decidedly sweet finish to it that rolled off the tongue with a subtle tone. There was a very nice feel on this one, coating would be a good word as it rolled through the mouth and stuck to every surface available

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

4.17/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A silky quality rye but missing the special something to push it over the top. Still a very good Austin TX beer to enjoy.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

Live Oak Roggenbier
12oz bottle poured into a mug
brown bottle with no label, but Live Oak Roggenbier cap

This one was sent to me as a bonus from a trading partner, after the initial trade was FedEX exempted. Apparently this was hand bottled by a Live Oak Brewery employee, who was a friend of the trader. Must be something thats done fairly commonly as they have labeled caps. Thanks to Zadavis for sending over this bottle from a brewery who doesn't bottle!

A: Pours a murky caramel brown with 2.5 fingers width of almond colored head. Good retention, taking a long while to dissipate down. Lots of sedimentation is seen suspended throughout the glass. Leaves effectively no lacing.

S: Really tart, with sour fruits and citrus, a significant rye aroma. Not at all what I anticipated, with the big sour notes, but I like it! Makes me wonder if this is infected though.

T: Flavor is somewhat bland, although there is a tart character here as well. Some sour fruits. Decent amount of rye. Touch of caramel. Really rather enjoyable with the mild tart sourness in there. I dont get much spice though at all. It really does taste like it was brewed with a while yeast.

M/D: Medium bodied, appropriate carbonation, drinkability is good.

O: Overall, I really enjoyed this. It seems I may have gotten an infected batch, as my experience with the flavor and aroma was quite different than all the other reviews I see, and it has a significant tart character. However, I enjoyed that aspect of it. I'd like to try this again sometime, to see if it taste at all the same as this one.

Roggenbier from Live Oak Brewing Company