Live Oak Roggenbier | Live Oak Brewing Company

Style: Roggenbier

Availability: Summer

Added by UTCengOwl on 06-10-2011

4.83/5  rDev +23.2%

I like beers with history… it makes them all the more interesting. That being said- whoever it was that decided rye ought to be reserved for making solid, as opposed to liquid bread, robbed the world of a tasty brew.

I've had this on tap & brought a growler home to review:

Appearance is a deep hazy brown with a burnt red/orange tint. I’ve never seen a beer that looks similar and it doesn’t look like any Roggenbier I’ve had out of a bottle. A two finger off white head that faded into lacing.

Aroma holds a small hint of floral/citrus with a subtle bready aroma…smells slightly sweet…In a way it’s similar to a Hefe but more malty… very pleasant & inviting and again- unique.

Tastes mildly sweet and hearty, quenches your thirst and invites you back for more sips of a wonderfully balanced sweet, malty, spicy taste. Unlike anything I’ve ever tasted.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation and clean finish.

Overall very refreshing and enjoyable… Light enough to drink a few but complex enough to keep you interested... 'quaffable'. It’s easy to see why LOBC chose this for their summer seasonal and I definitely hope to have it again next summer.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

4.69/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This delicious, sessionable rye beer fulfills many, if not all, expectations admirably. The smell, delivered closer to room temperature than usual, gives off esters of maple and caramel, without the 'candy' (ester) that sweeter beers (such as Belgians) tend to promise.

This is one of my favorite sessionable growler beers because it's almost universally agreeable amongst friends. The rye, which can be spicy, is well nuanced and balanced. Live Oak (a wonderful German-style brewery from Austin) delivers quality hefeweizens (and other beers), but this beer is certainly a head above the rest; an excellent sample of what a rye beer can truly be, and do.

I love German beers, and I reserve a fair amount of judgment for each contribution to the category. In conclusion, I would humbly state that if you have the chance to drink this beer, do.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%

On tap at Queen Vic in Houston.

A: Pours a hazy reddish/orange color. A two finger beige head forms that gently recedes to a ring. The ring sticks throughout. Light lace.
S: At first a honey sweetness with a kiss of floral hops. Some fruity esters of banana with a light spice. Bread and biscuit malts from the rye finishes everything off nicely.
T: A quick snap of floral and grassy hops at first. A nice honey sweetness. Some fruity esters and spice. Big toasted and bready malts. Lots of biscuit and grains. Just excellent.
M/D: A medium body with good carbonation. Very clean, crisp and bone dry. This is something I can drink all day. Just excellent.

I love this. There is an excellent bready rye character that is pretty much perfect for the style. I had several pints of this, and could have easily had more. Awesome, and highly recommended.

4.34/5  rDev +10.7%

Love it.

This is one rye beer where you can really taste the rye. I enjoyed the hell out of it at Alamo Village and highly recommend this beer to everyone.

The only downside is that it appeared to be a little under carbonated. This might be due to the draft system, but who knows? There was zero head on the beer when it was served to me.

Very mild hop profile; really showcases the rye. Highly drinkable and delicious. I guess you need a real live German to brew a good Roggenbier. It takes a guy who loves pumpernickel! Heh.

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%

Tasted at the Ginger Man... or was it the Draught House? I really should be more careful about putting the location on my notes.

A. A dark brown/copper colour, slightly hazy, and with a creamy off-white head that's got a lot of retention.

S. The smell is a bit muted but very promising. Sweet, bready, yeasty and with more than a hint of rye.

T. Not so much sweetness in the flavour but quite tangy and spicy. Very crisp. Moderately bitter in the finish.

M. Strong carbonation but the body is a bit on the thin side. It could use a bit more weight.

O. Full disclosure - I'm something of a novice with this style so I can only go by what my taste buds are telling me and what I've read about it. The message I'm getting is that I'd like some more of it, and at 4.8% I may well sit on this one all evening. It's a good accompaniment to the hot weather.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A silky quality rye but missing the special something to push it over the top. Still a very good Austin TX beer to enjoy.

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

on draught, poured with absolutely no head/foam. Very very thin layer, like a lace of lacing. A cloudy light molasses color, like amber honey. unfiltered? Not picking up a whole lot on the nose. But the taste! Wow! The rye bursts through. Such a great taste, such a great rye profile. There’s a smoothness to this beer that is met with the rye spiciness, and a clean finish. It could go wrong in so many ways but doesn’t. (if it was chewy I don’t think id enjoy it as much. And its not overly sweet either.) great mouthfeel, the rye dominates & it shines. Another beer I wish was bottled or made its way to San Anto. I’ve never tasted such a rye forward beer before. Usually they seem to be blends, like a ryePA.

4.11/5  rDev +4.8%

I'm not all that experienced with Rye Beers, but what the hell, let's give this a shot.

The beer pours a hazy caramel orange with a very tight, dirty tan head. I don't think I've seen a beer quite this color before. Interesting. The head is also pretty darned nice to look at while it's up. Then again, it's always a bit dark in the Draught House.

The nose is mainly crisp rye. Some noble hops come in on later sniff, but I'm mainly getting rye.

The taste is up front with spicy rye, but that blends into a mix of tartness and slight caramel sweetness. The mouthful is creamy with perfect carbonation. How does Live Oak do that every time? It's just heavenly to drink. This thing is smooth going down, refreshing and enjoyable. I'd take a keg of this at the house for the warm summer months. Very tasty.

Edit: As I keep drinking, I start to get a slightly dirty buildup on my tongue. Docks a bit from the taste. Still very enjoyable.

4.04/5  rDev +3.1%