Drake's IPA | Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's IPADrake's IPA

Drake's Brewing Co.
drinkdrakes.com

Style: American IPA

"Drake's flagship beer! A "West Coast" interpretation of an India Pale Ale. Copper-colored from additions of light Crystal malt, and body-building Caramalt, carry the malt weight of this hop bomb. The hoppy aromas of pine and grapefruit are delivered from the abundant Columbus and Cascade hops."

Added by drewbage on 06-09-2003

3.32/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.32/5  rDev -15.1%

A: Light copper color with good head at first; dissapates quickly thereafter. Lacing is extremely good on this beer...remains there for almost the whole consumption of the beer. Kind of funny, but if you stare long enough...it almost looks like jello. LOL.

S: Some hops...but mostly sweet malts. I'm very impressed by the smell...makes me want more.

T: A bit disappointed in the taste (especially when the smell was impressive)...bitter upfront...and bitter at the finish. Needs to tone down just a bit. Other then that, okay.

M: Medium-body with the same amount of carbonation.

D: Not very easy to drink for an IPA. It has a great smell, but too much bitterness.

Overall: I have a hard time deciding whether this beer is good or just average. I guess you'll have to decide.

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sports Basement - San Francisco, CA - draft

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

Appearance- Pours a clean orange amber with a one finger head

Smell-Mild citrus hop and a bit of toasted biscuit

Taste-A light candy sweetness of toasted malts balanced with with citrus on the front end. relatively dry ending and a lingering moderate hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel-Moderately think bodied with middling carbonation

Overall-Quite drinkable. Surprisingly smooth for a 7% IPA. Nothing harsh, but also nothing unique or exciting. Solid and sessionable.

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: amber dark orange

S: malt. Bread. Some subtle citrus

T: malty sweet ipa. Piney bitter finish

F: med carbonation Rough on the palate

O: while drakes makes many great IPAs. Not sure this one is to par.

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

Dark copper red body, topped by thick light beige foam which rose above the rim of the glass.

Big biscuit aroma, a surprise. Far more English than West Coast.

A fleeting semi-sweet beginning, quickly gives way to a big biscuit taste. Earthy hops bite at the swallow, which lingers on a bit.

Medium mouthfeel is quite satisfactory.

Alright drinkability, though the completion of one bottle does not necessarily bring about an intense desire for another.

Not what I expected, even for an Englsih leaning West Coast IPA, but not bad.

3.41/5  rDev -12.8%

Bottle poured into FFF Teku glass

A - Hazy, dark orange with hints of brown. There is a white, one finger white head that leaves some nice lacing

S - Light grapefruit, pine and tangerine come forth from. Overall, a simple and light nose

T - Strong grapefruit and light pine dominate Initally. There is a light sweet orange that comes in the middle of the beer. The finish is strong pine that lingers in the finish. Well balanced and only a light hint of the 7% ABV

MF - Medium carbonation with a creamy medium body. There is a slight resin residue that remains in the finish that helps the pine linger on

O - Solid west coast IPA that I could imagine drinking on a frequent basis if I had access to it. However, it is not outstanding enough for me to want to get some in the Midwest as its much easier to get a hold of Furious or Two-Hearted.

3.44/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.45/5  rDev -11.8%

San Leandro, California: never been there. Hell, I’ve never even been 100 miles from there. But, thanks to dmsohyea, I have a bottle of this Cali local. I’ve never heard of it, but that doesn’t mean I’m at all biased as to how I think it will taste. I have no preconceived notions about this one, except that my latest trading partner deemed it good enough to send to me. This is totally objective rating, which, as some would argue, is the fairest way to review. Whatever the case, I’m looking forward to getting to know Drake’s IPA.

A: I love the color of the body: reddish-orange that shines brilliantly, even with a bit of haziness. The head is a wonderful off-white, erupting from the bottle aggressively as I pour. The foamy three-fingers dissipate quite fast, leaving the tiniest afterthoughts of clean lacing. The bubbles that dance up from the bottom are few and far-between, but they are there, nonetheless. A nice, fresh looking pale ale.

S: I haven’t smelt hops this crisp and clean since I last had a FFF Pride & Joy. These are intensely piney, with a great earthy undertone. A sweet, herbal touch hits at the back, coupled stylishly with roasted barley. An agreeable IPA nose through and through – no surprises here.

T: Breadiest IPA I’ve ever had. Wow. The yeast is so substantial on the front end that it makes you wonder how the nose never signaled it. It’s not syrupy or extra-sweet, but it is heavy. That’s not to say that I think it’s bad; it’s just different. The thick yeasts don’t make me cringe, but they don’t blow me away, either. Soon, though, the hops alleviate some of the pressure, lifting the palate with a short blast of light, piney bitters. Smoked caramel malts make a short, but not negligible appearance. Thus, the whole thing ends up with a slightly dry, hoppy aftertaste.

M: This is where I have some trouble. It’s too watery! If you’re going to make the palate that thick on an IPA, you can’t give it a thin mouthfeel. The lack of carbonation doesn't help, either. To me, it ends up giving the whole brew a diluted ambiance; it’s almost as if I’m drinking a Drake’s Light. Where can I pick up this beer’s big brother?

O: This is certainly a different breed of IPA. The thick, bread-heavy palate is a nice departure from the traditional hopped-up and syrupy-sweet nature of the ever-popular IPA, but the thinness of the body turned me off big time. This is something that I wouldn’t try again, even if I were in San Leandro. It was a good drink, but, with so many great beers out there, not worth a second attempt for me.

3.47/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled unk.
Pours butter colored, a bit murky, solidly etched fine white surface. Smells dank, with citrus, pine, resin, coconut, pineapple, biscuity malt, Flavor is bitter, but still quite malty with a cracker like malt. Hops are plenty juicy with some tropical character, some more pine, some orange peel and a little honey. Medium bodied with moderately assertive carb and a wet finish. Nice beer, would drink again for sure.

3.49/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

Drake's IPA from Drake's Brewing Co.