Drake's IPA | Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's IPADrake's IPA

Drake's Brewing Co.
drinkdrakes.com

Style: American IPA

"Drake's flagship beer! A "West Coast" interpretation of an India Pale Ale. Copper-colored from additions of light Crystal malt, and body-building Caramalt, carry the malt weight of this hop bomb. The hoppy aromas of pine and grapefruit are delivered from the abundant Columbus and Cascade hops."

Added by drewbage on 06-09-2003

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

2.26/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap. Pours a clear, fairly light golden amber with a small white head that settles to a ring and leaves some light lacing on the glass. The aroma is pine, caramel, butter, and some light floral notes. The initial taste is pine and dank hops with some caramel. The finish has a bit of bitterness and lots of buttered popcorn. Much more diacetyl in the palate than the nose. Medium-heavy body. Medium carbonation. This was not very enjoyable. If there was any more diacetyl it would have been undrinkable.

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

Another one from one of my favorite breweries. Pours a pale amber with great carbonation and some lacing. The aroma is nearly a perfect balance of pungent and citrusy hops with pine and a bit of sweetness. Grapefruit, orange rind, pine resin, Cascade, spicy hops are well balanced with crystal and cracker malt that keeps the hops from being too astringent. Crisp then silky in the mouth with a good dry finish. A great example of the west coast IPA without being overkill, tastes like hop candy!

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a pint glass. Color was honey caramel. Tons of head, which I don’t think I can say is a bad pour. This is the second Drake I’ve had in two days where I opened a regular bottle and the foam just started coming out. Anyway, probably four fingers of head. Thick frothy lacing on the top. Some film on the sides, still along the lines of the lacing - frothy and cloudy.

Smelled more like a pale ale than an IPA. Once again it reminded me of Drake’s 1500 pale ale. Got some citrus notes and some sweetness.

On the taste, once again I’m back to the Drake’s 1500 pale ale. It tastes very similar, just a bit stronger. This is so smooth. Slightly bitter finish, but still good. Some caramel notes and some sweet notes.

Medium body. Creamy texture. Lively (above average) carbonation. Long finish.

Just a good beer. Smooth and consistent.

3.69/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured into a pint at Amsterdam SF

A: It pours a clear caramel orange color with some spotty lacing. There was not much head to it.

S: I get nice fruit citrus hops followed by a nice malty quality. There's also some other fruit notes hiding in there, like dried persimmons, bananas, maybe apple. sweet and a little candied.

T: It tastes like it smells. I get the dried persimmons and banana first though, with the citrus hops coming out large in the middle before mellowing out into a slightly sweet malty finish.

M: The mouthfeel is medium with lower carbonation and just slightly chewy. Heavier than I expected. Maybe the keg is getting low?

D: It's nicely drinkable and enjoyable enough. The dried fruit favors are interesting enough to capture my attention. It is a bit heavy though, so I would probably only drink one or two of these in a sitting. Overall its nice.

4.06/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Three plus fingers of fluffy white head erupt nicely from this beer. Once it dwindles slightly I see a much more rocky face. Huge lacing right around the rim of my glass as well. Beautiful caramel color with crystal clear clarity. Nice carbonation action from a thin stream in the middle. Wow, congratulations Drake's, you brewed a perfect looking ipa.

S: Nice big citrus hop aromas with some nice light pine aromas mixed in as well. The caramel malts are apparent. Some nice breadiness. I would like it to be a hair brighter. But good all around and leans toward a more balanced ipa.

T: Huge, huge hop flavors hit me first. The flavor is far brighter than the aroma would insinuate. Big citrus with some sharp pine. This leads to the lightly caramel and mostly bready malts. They do hold up but not quite all the way. I'm surprised that this was considered an English IPA. However I'm a fan of hop forward so I enjoy it. The finish is crisp and bitter. It does taste a little angular I guess? Like it could be rounded out a little more smooth. But all in all delicious.

M: Nice medium body with plenty of the carbonation you need to blast away some of that bitterness and get your ready for your next drink. Slick and smooth as an ipa should be.

O: Oh so tasty and refreshing this is an all out summer beer. I'd love to have this after a long day of work in the summer to refresh me, slap me in the face to wake me up and to relax me with it's 7.00% abv. Great job Drake's

Drake's IPA from Drake's Brewing Co.