Drake's IPA | Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's IPADrake's IPA

Drake's Brewing Co.
drinkdrakes.com

Style: American IPA

"Drake's flagship beer! A "West Coast" interpretation of an India Pale Ale. Copper-colored from additions of light Crystal malt, and body-building Caramalt, carry the malt weight of this hop bomb. The hoppy aromas of pine and grapefruit are delivered from the abundant Columbus and Cascade hops."

Added by drewbage on 06-09-2003

Reviews: 216 | Ratings: 529
3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

This is pretty dark for an IPA, with deep reddish amber hues and a one finger offwhite head whose lace seemed to slide and drop back into the pint. The smell was decidedly barleywine-ish with deep, sweet malty scents yet plenty of citric-hop smells. The taste was deeply malty sweet yet quickly balanced by the hop profile which really tasted like Amarillo to me – I’d love to know for sure. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied and rich. A drinkable IPA.

3.84/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with no date into a Pinot Noir glass. This is really one of the best looking beers I've ever seen. Just pure fluff. 2 fingers of vanilla salt water taffy colored head. Just about the best retention I've seen in some time. Great lacing. Smells a bit like tea (hard to tell if it's old, due to the lack of dating, but my guess is, it is.) Some citrus and pine. Caramelish and chocolate malt smell coming through. Some rich nutty earthy malt coming through. Pine in my face. Nice bitter drying finish. Creamy crisp mouthfeel. Drinkable, but I don't think I'd wanna knock out more than 2 or so of these.

Edit: Every time I swirl this bad boy, I get some long lasting sea-foam head. I'm starting to think, reading the reviews that this isn't old, just a malt-freakin-bomb.

3.11/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a clear copper color with golden edges with a couple fingers of off-white head that recedes to a relatively thick layer that hangs in for the duration.

Aroma starts off strong citrus and piney hops, but the hops fade out quickly leaving some traces of sweet caramel but that's about it. I've never had an IPA's aroma fade that fast.

Taste is mildly bitter citrus at first, but it turns quickly into a strong caramel sweetness that goes all the way through to the finish. I can't tell if the malts are overpowering or the hops are just on the weak side.

Mouthfeel is a little on the light side but carbonation is up to par. It goes down smooth and easy, but I like a little more citrus and a little less malt in my IPA's.

Pours a dark gold brown with a off white head-medium carbonation. Aroma is hoppy with plenty of resin. Taste is malty with a good hop finish. Mouthfeel is medium and drinkability is good-how about a few of these on a weekend night-not a problem.Ahoy matey.

4.9/5  rDev +25.3%

Copper, Bitter, dry finish I love the grapefruit resin it leaves on may palate, making me aware of the top of my mouth.

This is a very decent smooth IPA, a little on the aggressive side, but still on this side of the fence in comparison to Stone IPA.

A. Coppy, nice lacing,

S: citrusy, but a get lactose as well, I tested severed times and got lactose as well. (I had no dairy today)

T: Smoth, citrusy bittners, finish is dry and leave ones upper jowls to dry in residual hemp oils.

M: Meadium to full body, Like a full body beer on a diet that is barely working, It could be larger here.

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

On tap at Hollingshead

A - a slight cloudy bronze apricot with a feinger of stucco white head. Let a nice lace.
S - Citrus rinds of orange and grapefruit with some floral hints.
T - A good dose of pine and citrus hit your palate and lead to a somewhat sweet bitterness. A little complex, very nicely done.

I prefer a bit more hop presence in my IPA's, but this one is good. Solid carbonation and good feel on the palate.

4.62/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried a six-pack of this on the recommendation of the “beer guy” at my local Whole Foods Market.

First time I think ever had a beer in a shrink-wrapped bottle, but I guess it’s a novel way to show off this IPA’s award winning status as the 2002 GABF Gold Medal Winner.

The aroma immediately assaulted my olfactory (in a good way) as I poured the ale into my glass. My senses went into overdrive as the big hoppy aroma escaped from the bottle, filling my trusty tulip with a rich copper liquid. This one has a bouquet big enough to make wine tasters jealous.

Nice, smooth mouthfeel accented by layers of earthy flavors. Closes with a lingering but clean finish that makes you want more. I concur that this is a unexpectedly pleasant mingling of English and West Coast styles, that’s good to the last hoppy drop.

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a hazy caramel to gold color with a tall tan head. Smell is floral and citrus. Taste is sweet caramel malt followed by a sharp piney and citrus back of the throat hop bite.

Mouthfeel is moderate to slightly oily with a crisp finish. Somewhat low to moderate carbonation.

Simple and solid IPA.

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

A - lightish brown with hints of amber, off white head that settles to a thick ring around the beer. tight lacing.

S - floral, citrus, pine, resins, caramel

T - the resiny pine flavor dominates with a strong amount of bitterness and a caramel sweetness that finishes strong in the end.

M - thick and chewy not a lot of carbonation which i like for this kind of IPA

D - at 7% it's tasty but not an all nighter. Very tasty IPA.

3.71/5  rDev -5.1%

Also purchased in Lafayette, CA, although at Diablo Foods. I was looking for a good beer for Thanksgiving and found a couple of types from Drake's Brewing. I was tempted to go with a different ale but the IPA was a Gold Medal Winner at the Great American Beer Fest and that swayed me to go with there.

I'm not usually one to pick an IPA if other styles are available and I thought I had made a mistake after having my first one. The color is a good red/brown and there isn't too much of a head that stays around. The smell is pure IPA and then some. Very hoppy and spicy with some malt smells lingering in the background. That first taste hits you with the hops and a mellow aftertaste hangs around. This is a distinctive beer, even for an IPA. I'm glad I didn't give up after that first one because it is a good beer. There is a simple complexity to it and I can tell that it was hastily crafted. But one is all I can handle, mostly because it is an IPA, before I need a less sharp taste.

4.07/5  rDev +4.1%

I'm sitting in the Library Ale House in Santa Monica and I asked the server for a very nose forward IPA. May I introduce you to Drakes? A perfect bright flourescent orange, exactly what I want to see in an IPA with a white creamy head. The nose excells and may have been a 5 for me. Tangerine, mild pine and very fresh. The nose is invigorating and begs you to taste. Sweet malty and citrus up front balanced by a nice bitterness. Medium carbonation and a dryness that bites at my tongue a bit. I would say that this is quite a nice ale and worth trying should you have the opportunity or two.

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

(Bottle 12oz, revisited) golden peachy color, toasted malt flavor, bitter enough but nothing earthy or floral, still good though.

Others:
1500 (favorable)
Denogiznizer (favorable)

4.23/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to IntriqKen for the trade.

This beer poured a rich, dark amber body with a huge, frothy head that left rings of lace as it slowly settled down. Nice retention. Floral hops came to the nose, very inviting and not too strong. Very bitter with the taste of grapefruit present. Medium-bodied and very drinkable. This was a nice style. It reminded me of an English IPA, but had the feel of an American IPA.

3.99/5  rDev +2%

thanks to abecall98 for this extra in a recent trade. An ambery looking strong IPA but not quite a DIPA. An attempt at an English style, this is darker than most American IPA's. There is a ruby undertone to the color and a nice lasting low level head with decent lacing. The nose shines here with strong toffee appeal! the tast follows the nose and is very malty. I am getting some strong bitterness but not the citrus flavor that it is trying to bring. This has a decent mouthfeel as it is considerably thick, like I enjoy them. All in all, I enjoyed this one and if it were available around here, I would revisit. Reminded me a bit of a slightly more bitter and slightly lighter Gordon (Oskar Blues)

nice work!

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

Received as an extra from MrTopher. Thanks Chris!

Pours a hazy amber color with a fourth of an inch of off-white head. The head retention is pretty impressive.

This is one good smelling IPA! Full of grapefruit and piney hops. A sweet caramel malt backbone balances it out nicely.

From the nose, I thought this was going to be much hoppier than it turned out to be. The sweet malts actually overpower the hops slightly. It is a fairly good tasting beer, but the sweetness level was a little unexpected.

Medium body and moderate carbonation, about what I'd expect from an IPA. It is smooth and drinkable, but a little sweeter that I typically like my IPAs.

3.83/5  rDev -2%

A --- Nice hazy amber color with about a 1/3" of foam head

S --- Pine, citrus, hoppy

T --- Smooth, nice balance of hops & malts, not over the top bitter

M --- Medium body with right amount of carbination. Smooth.

O --- This is a very good beer. I will try to find it on tap and try it again.

3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours clear light amber with coppery tones. White head that holds up decently against the glass, moderate lacing.

Aroma of bitter pine, citrus, some malt sweetness.

Flavor of bitter pine follows with the aroma, with a bit more citrus. Pretty straight forward malt profile. A little more bitter than i might normally like, though probably standard for an IPA. Not a terribly complex beer, but fairly tasty.

Overall bitterness would prevent me from having more than two pints before my pallate needs a rest.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

bottle to pint.

A: Deep gold (just like the bottle says) thick, fluffy 1" head.

S: lemon, pinesol, sweet cream.

T: A little citrus then hops all the way thru the finish, not picking up any malt at all.

M: Medium carbination, oily finish.

O: It's a good IPA, not really balanced but no hops overkill.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

On cask at the Toronado, 1/3/08. Very fruity aroma with lots of malt (mainly toasty) character and some caramelly, butterscotch notes. Good clarity. Very nice off-white head with great retention. Nice flavors of toasty malt with a mellow hoppiness and bitterness. Slight caramel favor. Some fruitiness and citrus/pine hop notes in finish. Yeastiness apparent in background. Medium-full body with moderately low carbonation and a smooth lingering bitterness in the finish. This was a vey good cask beer.

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

orange almost brown huge very clear with thick foamy head about 3 in with very good retention and lots of lace

smell is of hops... floral and pine notes the citrus hops come out towards the end.

lots of hop flavor.... bitter pine with some sap like taste. pretty good. little malt flavor towards the end to finish smoother that the start but the bite of hops lingers.

medium body with low carbonation

overall a good IPA that if you get the chance you def. want to try!!! Thanks to John for the nice extra!!!!

3.99/5  rDev +2%

Drake's IPA from a bottle.

Initial bold malty molasses paired with a nice nutty citrusy IPA comfort. Dark amber, not overly bitter or hoppy and is easy to drink at 7% alcohol. Soft carbonation with a thick mouthfeel and plenty of frothy foam. Pine flavor comes in nicely throughout to create a medium-complex and highly drinkable IPA that will make you stop and think. This beer stands out among west coast IPA's as less insanely hoppy and more of a well rounded and thoughtful ale.

EDIT: This beer is commonly available at $8 for a 6 pack and I find myself always happy to pick it up. 4/5 for a much above average IPA that is about as cheap as craft beer gets.

3.77/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from 12 oz. Bottle

This pours a hazy copper color with minimal head that dissipates pretty quickly. Tiny spots of lace left behind. Smells of grassy hops with a peach hint to it. Taste is bitter hops up front with a malty backbone, also citrus hints to be found. Mouthfeel is good, nice carbonation, leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. Overall its a pretty solid brew, something I would get again.

3.52/5  rDev -10%

Thanks to bring for tossing this in as an extra.

A - Hazy golde-amber in color, with a good inch of white head. Retention is fair for the style with some lacing left behind as it subsides

S - Grapefruit and caramel malt with notes of pine.

T - Very piney hop bite with plenty of malty goodness up front. The grapefruit kind of lingers around in the finish. Good hop bite with almost enough malt to balance it out.

M - Very creamy with low to medium carbonation. Medium in body.

D - I found this IPA to be no less drinkable than any other.

Overall this is a solid offering from Drake's and has me interested in some of their other offerings.

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 12oz into a tulip glass.

Appearance is a murky copper color, small amount of foam that clings to the glass throughout.

Aroma is a great, piney hop aroma with a strong caramel malt scent.

Taste is a sticky, resinousy hop flavor up front, but the caramel malts are just overwhelming. Hops play second fiddle to the malts.

Mouthfeel is great, full, decent carbonation.

Drinkability is not good, tough with that maltiness.

Pours orange-amber with a bit of haze. Large, yellowish head with big bubbles and a solid layer of cream across the top. Two long, sticky arcs grace the entire girth of the glass. Aroma is mostly fruity and floral hops (peach, pineapple, tomato – some pine resin / needles as well) with a soft underpinning of doughy-malt sweetness. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, juicy, and a little syrupy. Flavor is strong, bitter and spicy hops (lots of pine here) followed by significantly present buttery and caramel malts, in accordance with the English style. Finish is crisp and piney, leading into a bitter aftertaste. Solid.

Drake's IPA from Drake's Brewing Co.