Drake's Denogginizer | Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's DenogginizerDrake's Denogginizer

Drake's Brewing Co.
drinkdrakes.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by oggg on 02-28-2005

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

3.47/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle purchased from Bring on the Beer.

I didn't hear a hiss when I popped the cap but with the pour, a deep gold with a 1 finger head of foam, my worries got the hell out of Dodge. Another brew here with fine lacing. It looks great.

Bready malt, caramel malt, dominate the nose. Oh shoot, this bottle has already been aged for me. Bottled on May 10th. I guess that explains the lack of any hoppy aromas.

At this stage, it is more of an all malt DIPA and it tastes great! Lots of freshly baked bread like flavour, some caramel sweetness, no hint...zero bitterness and quite the hunk of alcohol heat. It makes me curious as to what a bit of hop bitterness would have been like in a fresh bottle but being only 4 months old, I'd reckon it couldn't have been too big and bold. The flavours are now starting to wear on me. Great, sadly, has become okay.

Great mouthfeel and there's now some sort of bitterness going on, I'd say a bit of roughish pine. I've had a few Drake beers and this is most likely my least favourite. Yes, it is. Oh well, the others I've had were top notch.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.71/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear and deep orange color . Darker than you might expect with an orange tinted head of creamy off white foam that settled reluctantly to a thick layer on top. Then a ring and cap, Then a film, and plenty of loose bubbles. Sticky lace and plenty of it. Looks thick.

Nose is ripe oranges. It's the juicy part of the orange with the pith and the sweet zest of the fruit to back it up. There is a little tart grapefruit on the nose and a moderate pine. Those pine needles are light but dry. The malt has plenty of caramel sweetness on the nose which makes me think this might be a little heavy. There's some tropical fruits int his and they are exotic. i want to say guava or papaya but I am just not confident enough to name them. They lend a deep sweetness to the nose.

Taste is dense with sticky sweet oranges to greet the palate. Like fruit candy with the malt sweetness right behind. The malt is full. The grapefruit make the mouth water and pushes it across the palate and the pine stays pretty light. The body is full and has moderate carbonation. It's a little chewy. Pretty sweet and thick on the palate. There is a wonderful hop bitter and some nice oil to save it through an aftertaste that lets all that fruit sweetness accumulate. The malt really does it's job to balance the bitter and if only it were more breaddy and a just a tad lighter.

While this drinks the fruits play out more and more to the delight of the palate. You get used to the sweetness and accept the moderate heaviness and stop begrudging it. Of course that could be the abv talking. There is no alcohol on the nose or on the palate and it's only at the bottom of the first glass that I start to notice the warmth at the back palate. While it's raw and unpolished in some ways it's not a bad drink. It's not light but it is flavorful and has a certain mettle and a nerve towards it 's character that makes me think they took a chance. I like that.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Drake's Denogginizer from Drake's Brewing Co.