Drake's 1500 Pale Ale | Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's 1500 Pale AleDrake's 1500 Pale Ale

Drake's Brewing Co.
drinkdrakes.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

As we approached our 1500th batch in San Leandro, the brewers decided to attempt something different. They set out to make a pale ale with a clean, stripped down malt bill and plenty of late addition hops that would give the beer huge flavors and aromas of bright citrusy American hops without overwhelming the balance with bitterness. The resulting beer packed the aromatic and flavorful hop punch of a West Coast-style IPA at a very easy drinking 5.5% ABV. The brewer and the people loved it. Now 1500 is a Drake’s flagship beer.

Malt: American 2-Row Barley, Patagonia Crystal 35

Added by oggg on 08-02-2005

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Reviews: 133 | Ratings: 463
3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

Let me just say that Drakes bottles are pretty cool. They have a covering over the whole bottle that feels purty to touch.

Secondly, is this a pale ale or DIPA? The bottle says a pale ale, late hopped like an imperial IPA. I dont know, you figure it out.

Pours like a Poor mans DIPA.

Smells, malty, hoppy, but mostly candy bubble gum sweet. Very interesting smell, I love it.

Tastes crazy too. Its a DIPA light. Soft tasty hops, some caramel sweetness, but light thin body, with no apparent alcohol taste.

Finishes more stingy hoppy than is in the body.

Friend or Foe? Dont know, i'll drink it anyway.

2.95/5  rDev -24.2%

Another draft offering while sampling beer at 21st Amendment.

A: Golden brew lively with bubbles. Thin white lasting head.
S: Pungent hops with hints of melon.
T: Smooth lemon/citrus tones.
M: Bitter spots and lingering taste.
D: A hoppy pale ale that I found enjoyable, but a bit out of character for its name. I actually did not know when I was drinking this that it was an Imperial Pale, so this makes more sense now.

3.58/5  rDev -8%

Had this on tap at 21A, cool spot.

A- Pours clear light & bright orange with a well maintained white fluffy cap.

S- Bright citrus that was a bit bitter.

T- Immediate citrus and pine notes that quckly fade without much to back it up.

M- Crisp, nice carbonation.

D- Easy drinker, very sessionable.

4.57/5  rDev +17.5%

On tap at Marin Breast Fest.

Light, pale, white toast malt body and biting grapefruit hops. A great sipping IPA. Bitter, tart, crispy, lip-smacking, exponentially refreshing. Perfect 5 for drinkability on this hot sunny day.

Why is this beer in the Double IPA category???? The brewery calls it a pale ale, but to me it's clearly an IPA.

Drake's beers always have a certain character that I love, but can't put my fingers on; a musty, earthy something (it's great). They make awesome one-off beers like this and the Whombock IPA.

Great job on this one, don't miss out. One of the most refreshing, hoppy-as-hell beers out there. Cheers.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Had this on tap at Norm's.

I usually have to ask for the bartender to pour my beers with at list a little bit of head when I go to Norm's. This one came to me with about a finger of white foam on top of the orange/copper colored beer.

So many beers have citrus as their main smell but you often can't say more than that. This one was distinct but not overpowering citrus, primarily grapefruit. Very smooth smell. Refreshing.

Like the Drake's IPA, the hops are distinctive and quality. A nice bitterness in the first taste that mellows as it warms. The malt hangs out in the back of this flavor to balance it all. The taste is a straightforward, solid toast, just bready enough with the crisp edge.

I need to tour this brewery, dangit. Good stuff.

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%

Presentation: Had a small sample of this from fellow BA Swillinbrews glass at Hollingshead Delicatessen earlier today, holy moly, it was so damned good I instantly decided to Blag* a whole Growler of the stuff whilst I enjoyed the Russian River Temptation and Supplication that was also on draft.

Described on the Tap Handle simply as “1500 Pale Ale”, it was explained to me that this meant that it was the 1500th Batch at Drake’s and that it was a special brew ‘based’ on the standard Pale Ale produced for the occasion. Though I am not sure where the BA prefix of “Imperial” comes from, strength is supposed to be between 5.5% – 6.5% allegedly.

Appearance: Only an hour after being poured into the Growler it’s back out and into a 24 ounce straight sided Pint Glass and I have to state that it looks fucking good. This has what I would call a perfect light brown coppery “Yorkshire Bitter” body. Has a racing lively carbonation on the swirl. The head forms large then drops to a low key but dense ½” off-white colored cap that retains a stabilized appearance throughout. A thoroughly solid presentation for a Session Pale Ale.

Nose: Hmmmm, smells like an IPA. Yet upon careful consideration of the nose, at least once you get past the spicy hops, it reveals a decent biscuit malt which does actually balance the hop laden aromas. Juicy feel to the aromas.

Taste: Luscious juicy hops, biscuit malts, toasted Muffins and a light grain feel soaked in dark fruits and caramel toasties. The hops really play a huge part here, some would surely say that this is an IPA but I say neigh, neigh, neigh….this is a hoppy Pale Ale, a different breed by far. The solid malt base, biscuit hue and toasted bread soaks up some of the hops and thereby represents all that is good about hoppy West Coast Pale Ales. The hops….mmm…..they are fresh, juicy and piney too. Oh my this is so good.

Mouthfeel: An Amazonian Goddess….Big, Bold and Beautiful. Lots of juicy hops and supporting malts. Yet throughout this hops and malts battle, it retains a low ABV and maintains a superb balance that maybe the hops edge, well at least towards the end of the drink anyways.

Drinkability: OK, I filled a whole (Alpine) Growler for much less than the price of filling my Cars Gas Tank…..and I never even moved from my Apartment whilst drinking this. The Beer Mileage on this one is terrible……if you get some of this you won’t move either until you’ve polished off a few off them believe me. I don’t know what the strength is, but I do know that this is one high quality Pale Ale that has some serious IPA aspirations, it borders between the two, but the solid biscuit malt retains an English Pale Ale, whilst the Columbus and Ahtanum hops continue to tease throughout. Ladies and Gentlemen the Drake’s 1500 Pale Ale has left the Growler…..

Overall: Well bless my little Yorkshire cotton socks, I am seriously impressed by this one!!! Not only does it look great, it has more than a decent enough nose for the style, a lovely hoppy West Coast trait in the flavor profile and a seriously dangerous Drinkability. As we say in Yorkshire, “bye eck lad, tha’s a reet gud Ale”. All factored together, this is, from the tap at least, a **DO NOT MISS BEER**.

If the Meatloaf Album ‘Bat Out of Hell’ was a beer, this would be it, over the top in parts, soft yetb hard classical rock meets a massive operatic infusion in its breadth and reach…..whether you like it or not, it works, and it works well.

Did I really give a Drake's beer a 4.75?? Guess so...Paradise by the Desk Board Light…..well deserved too.

I’m heading back to Hollingshead tomorrow for another Growler of this beauty!!!

*BLAG, Brit informal. Noun. 1. Late 19C - To steal, (originally a band robbery) 2. 1940s - To deceive, to hoax, 3. 1960’s (our favourite) To persuade, especially as in “Blag in/into,” to talk one's way into a party, concert. Blagger. Verb 1. A smooth talker, a persuasive person.

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap @ Hollingshead. This is a pale ale late hopped like an Imperial IPA. Uses Columbus and Ahtanum hops (never heard of this hop before)

Poured a coppery Ice-T color with a tan head that lasted. The aroma was slight malt but all about hops and pine, then a bit more hops. The up front hop taste hit my mouth but with a balance i should say. It was punchy citrus and pine on a good malt backbone. Hoppy for sure, then more pure hops to follow. I am very impressed with this one and will get a growler of it.

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

On tap at O'Briens

Golden orange brew with soft white head. Moderate floral aroma with lots of grapefruit when swirled. On the tongue there is a solid hop bite giving way to huge juicy mouthwatering grapefruit rind. Grainy malt is present but not overdone. Full to medium body. Alcohol subtle.

Overall: Huge and juicy hop flavor, actually not that bitter.
---
retaste 9/19/05
Tons of grapefruit, that is the main selling point. This time I felt that the initial hop bite was a bit harsh, so I'm going to bring down the taste rating to a 4.5

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Drake's 1500 Pale Ale from Drake's Brewing Co.