Drake's Hopocalypse | Drake's Brewing Co.

Drake's HopocalypseDrake's Hopocalypse

Drake's Brewing Co.
drinkdrakes.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by magictrokini on 12-17-2008

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Thanks to dfernandez77 for this beer, among other West Coast goodies that arrived shortly ago. I'm feeling hoppy tonight, so let's go. 22 oz. bottle split with my wife.

Pour is unfiltered light orange, not full of sediment, but not clear, either. Nose is a ton of bitter orange juice, with a backdrop of a generic tropical location. Very, very faint metallic undertow that detracts a touch. Hope that doesn't make it into the taste.

Hopocalypse brings a rucksack full of malts to a hop party, & in this case, I'm prejudiced. Huge bready hops that weren't hinted at in the nose bring a Fat Tire experience, & loads of caramel tailgate the bread. Hops are strictly average, with a low OPS. Soft tropical fruit with a half-hearted bitter kick right at the end that sticks around in the aftertaste. And there is that exposed wire taste, too, faint but present. For all that, it's an interesting beer that is sippable as all get-out.

When you make a beer with a name like Hopocalypse, you better bring hops that make my asshole pucker, & this isn't that kind of beer. Maybe HopBrushWar, or HopPoliceAction. Ultimately, this is a beer that's too balanced for me. Pretty good brew.

3.52/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%

Bought this at City Beer SF the day after the bottles arrived there. Drank two days later...very fresh.

A - Caramel orange coloring, looks to be filtered well. Bubbles very active shooting from bottom to top, decent head retention and excellent lacing throughout. This beer looks alive! Impressive.

S - Pine, hemp and sugared fruits. Almost candy like. Very fragrant and perfumey. The fruits would be pineapple, mango and orange but covered in sugar. Candied so to speak. Resinous for sure. Big and bold.

T - I really want to give this beer a higher rating here but I just can't. Flavors including the citrus fruit and pine are very bold but this beer tastes like a sugar bomb. Solid malt backbone to back up the massive amounts of hops in this one but It's just too sugary. As I mentioned in the smell, the fruits taste like they were all dipped in a giant tub of sugar and 1/2 way into the bomber it actually becomes somewhat offensive. The first few sips are very impressive (starts off good) but goes downhill from there. Good thing this is 100+ IBUs to have the bitterness cut out the sugar in the finish or this one would have been way too sweet.

M - Good for the style. Sticky and resinous, just how I like my DIPAs. Bitter finish without wrecking the palate.

D - Take the sugar I mentioned out of the equasion and we would have had a 4.5 but half way in I was getting sick of the aftertaste.

Final thoughts - I really, really liked this beer on tap from the source. I recommend it in that setting but I will not be purchasing another bottle. Let's hope they get Hop Salad right in the bottle when it's time for that to happen. Hop Salad on tap is as good as any other DIPA I've had.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Nice white fluffy head of about 3 fingers. Beer is a medium caramel color with great clarity. Nice lacing is present.

S: Great citric aromas. Hops come out really floral. It's a very inviting nose. Malts come out as a caramel breadiness. The alcohol is actually surprisingly present.

T: The taste comes out better than the nose. Hops are of course incredibly present. They come out really citric and actually fairly peppery. Malts are nicely caramel but not quite strong enough. The hops and alcohol really overpower the backbone of this beer.

M: Huge, tight carbonation and medium body. Very astringent. Surprisingly this was probably my favorite aspect.

O : I'm actually fairly disappointed with this beer. From what I heard I expected it to be better balanced. To my palate it tasted too one sided.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

220z bottle. no bottling date.
hazy copper with a huge off-white head that quickly recedes, yet laces well.

tame, yet malty aroma bringing in lots of cereal grains and caramel with a bit of herbal hops and some piney and grapefruit hops behind that. not sure if the hops are faded, but I'm not getting as much of a hoppy aroma as I expected.

flavor brings in some resiny and bitter hops with that strong vienna malt backbone. a bit of sweetened grapefruit, orange peel, lemongrass, herbs/spices.

medium bodied and sticky with a nice, subdued carbonation and a resiny, yet sticky sweet finish.

hmmmm. I like it, but there are way too many others in the style that are more to my liking than this, but without having any clue of the age this may be better fresher.... I have no idea. a bit too sweet with an odd hop mixture. its good, but not great.

3.54/5  rDev -13.9%

This bottle arrived yesterday courtesy of BrewerB. Thanks Brian!

This one pours a nice and very clear burnt orange in color with a two finger, off white soapy head. The nose is hoppy, of course, but actually pretty a balanced for a DIPA. There is a moderate amount of Chinook with a touch of Citra and a bit of rye malt. There is also a decent amount of alcohol. The booze is a big detractor. The flavors are bright and hoppy with a fair amount of malty sweetness but then a lot of alcohol in the finish and after taste. You can definitely pick out the Citra but the other hops kind of muddle its regular crisp citrus character. I get a good amount of both Columbus and Cinook. Again, there is just a lot of present alcohol. It drinks dry and sticky and as stated, it shows its 9.5%. I can see why this would be popular but compared to other widely available options, I wouldn't pick this one up again.

3.54/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle while in Napa Valley for vacation. White label bomber dated 1-28-2014 and consumed on 3-5-14. Pours a beautiful clear copper with a big fluffy white head that stays around for a while. Bright citrus aroma with a big caramel malt aroma backing it. Lots of sweet heavy caramel grapefruits on the smell here. Flavor is very malt forward with big heavy caramel grapefruit, slightly syrupy, orange rinds. Goodness this is heavy. Not what I was expecting from a west coast DIPA. Pretty good if you like this version of the style, but really lacking the bright citrus and pine I expect from my pales these days. Heavy mouthfeel, slick, some resin, medium carbonation, and really cones off almost syrupy. Not an old bottle at 4 or so weeks, but maybe this goes downhill way quick? A bit disappointed in this one, but not terrible by any means. Can't imagine how malt heavy the black label is.

3.57/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got as an extra recently. No freshness date. Served in balloon glass.

Very nice pour with a solid off-white head. Clear, brilliant amber-colored body. Doesn't appear to have much carbonation. The head dies down way too quickly though, and leaves only minimal sudsy lacing.

Aroma is of big bold hops, with hints of blood orange, taffy, and alcohol. I like it. Not really blowing me away though, as this DIPA category is a tough one to compete in. The aroma is big and bold, though I tend to lean towards refined, complex and delicate.

Very very bitter beer, with plenty of hop flavor, pine and citrus. Bitter orange pith on the palette. Sweet caramel malts in the background mixed with a tinge of alcohol. Very robust flavor. It tastes every bit of 9.25% abv.

Rich, full-bodied DIPA with healthy carbonation and a sweet finish.

Not sure I am being too picky here or what. I think the beer is a good example of the DIPA style, but it weighs in fairly strong for me. Appearance was decent, but could have used better retention, the aroma was strong and hoppy, the flavor was rich, bitter, semi-balanced with a rich sweetness, and for some reason I just wasn't impressed. Maybe I'm not into the hops they are choosing here. I recognize that it's well made, but I don't think I would seek this one out again.

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

A hazy, apricot colored beer with a small, fast falling head. Nicely clinging lace on the glass. Strong aroma, somewhat harsh, boozy, astringent, lots of pine resin.

Flavor follows the nose; assertive bitterness, resinous pine hops leading the way, lesser citrus notes; strong chewy maltiness. Moderate sweetness, overly aggressive alcohol for my taste. Bitter, lingering aftertaste, semi-dry finish.

Medium-full body, medium carbonation. Somewhat smooth and creamy, not too shabby in the mouthfeel department. Overall, though, I felt this one was a bit heavy handed, harshly alcoholic, and not all that drinkable. It’s not bad but this style is being brewed with a lot more finesse and elegance these days.

3.63/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

Well, I gotta say, I'm one of the few and the proud to say I have NEVER liked anything from Drake's...Just never liked 'em...So let's see if they can wave their supposed "accolades" in front of me with this 'a' here brew...

The basics: 9.3% ABV (yeah!) and $6.49/bomber (ouch)...

Beautiful orange amber in color. Nice, frothy head builds up like a sand dune, then recedes, leaving nice lacing. Very light carbonation...

Aromas are nice, somewhat muted and not very out of the ordinary. Their new slogan is "Drink Different, Drink Drake's" and while I like the alliteration, the aroma profile is anything but different. You've smelled this ale many times under different names.

Got two great things today: the new Rotten Sound album (GRIND!) and Dragon Age II!!! Hopefully this ale can stand up to that awesomeness...It hasn't thus far.

Flavor is unique. It's more "hop bomb" than I expected. Very one dimensional and I'm gonna wait a few moments to let the hops wash out of my mouth so I can try a second taste and see if I get any malt or other characteristics. Very bitter up front from the hops...The middle has a very hoppy bitterness, this leads into a nice, long very hoppy bitter finish. The Hopocalypse is upon me!!! It's all hops. I get almost nothing else out of this. Super one dimensional, and I prefer well-balanced or unique. This ale is neither of those things. I guess I'll need Rotten Sound to GRIND this out of me!!!

What I like most: The very nice appearance and overall look.

What I like least: Vibrantly one dimensional flavor profile and high than average price point.

Verdict: Too expensive for such a mundane DIPA. Look elsewhere.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Drake's Hopocalypse from Drake's Brewing Co.