Aroma Coma | Drake's Brewing Co.

Aroma ComaAroma Coma

Drake's Brewing Co.

Style: American IPA

Availability: Summer

Added by sessycuban on 08-08-2009

Reviews: 146 | Ratings: 719
3.3/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

My current score reflects my second review, not the first (old bottle).

6.75% ABV according to my bottle. I dig the label on this one. It's got an '80s graffiti vibe to it. 75 IBUs. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are moderately high given its current ratings; I hope I'll love it but Drake's tends to underwhelm me. I've learned recently that I like my IPAs amarillo-centric, and this doesn't seem to fit the bill.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and good retention for the above-average ABV. Body colour is a transparent pale translucent copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Appropriate for the style, but there's nothing special or unique about it.

Sm: Floral bittering hop character. Caramelized malt. Some oily hop notes. Tangerine (from the Citra, no doubt). Stilted fruit. A bland murky aroma, average in strength. I'm not taking to it too kindly. Nugget hops. I don't see anything special about this aroma. Is the name meant to be ironic?

T: Clean caramelized malt body with bland floral hops atop. Some muddled tangerine throughout. Hop bitterness just after the climax. Lightly oily. Fermented murky pineapple. I suppose tangerine is dominant. Finish is a mess of bitterness and stale dying malts.
Built alright, but very underwhelming for the style. No pine, no grapefruit, no real oil commitment, no bright citrus, no pleasant floral quality. Just a bland mess. Meh. The bitterness is way too evident here, destroying the balance.

Mf: Wet and somewhat coarse from the hops. Coarsens and gets a bit more dry towards the climax. Suits the flavours only generally. Carbonation is a touch high. It's a bit too thick for its lack of flavour.

Dr: Did I get an old bottle? This is pretty mundane. Hides its ABV well and would pair well with spicy food, but this is just boring. Far overrated on this site currently. I don't see what the fuss is about. Another forgettable IPA that's rated highly. Drinkable. Overpriced. Drake's continues to underwhelm. Poorly chosen hops.

High D+

Revisiting this beer on 07/31/2013 as I suspect my prior review was an old bottle. Notes are truncated due to BA's word limit. 6.75%. 2013 bottle. $6.99. Served into flared stem-snifter in Los Feliz.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger whtie colour head. Nice creaminess and thickness. No lacing. Pretty good (~4 minute) retention.

Body colour is a clear copper of average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Translucent.

Sm: Dank resinous piney hops. Notable citrus - primarily grpaefruit with some mango. Oily and nectary hop character. Far better than I remember this being the first time I reviewed it. Pale malts. A fresh assertive hop-emphatic aroma of moderate strength. No alcohol or yeast is detectable.

T: Quite hop emphatic, with grapefruit and pine fighting for dominance. Also some floral, light oily, and very light nectary hop content. A biteen too tropical, with the mango and perhaps passionfruit distracting from the core hop build. Clean pale malt body. Not as complex or balanced as the best beers in the style, but pleasant nonetheless. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Zero subtlety; it's all played to the surface here. But it's got some flavour. Average flavour duration and intensity. Below average depth of flavour; it's a shallow beer. Pretty good amplitude.

Mf: Smooth, oily, and wet, with some biting lightly coarse patches. Crisp. No tannins. Overcarbonated. Decent presence on the palate, but it doesn't come off custom-tailored to the flavour profile.

Dr: I'll easily kill this bomber alone, but by no means is it a great beer in the style. It's a drinkable, enjoyable IPA, and I might get it again, but it can't throw down with something like Sculpin, for example. Wouldn't recommend it to friends. Decent value for the price.

Low B-

4.42/5  rDev +4%

I know it is anti-thetical to reach for an IPA on stout day, but this beer paired much better with my italian sandwich than a stout ever would.

I poured this beer into a tall chalice type glass. On the poure I get a few fingers of foam on the light orange brew. There isn't much lacing sticking around on my glass.

The smell from this beer is pretty impressive. I love the copious hop presence in each whiff. The name is very appropriate.

The flavor is also excellent. The hops really come out in this beer. I was surprised by the balance, and much less bitterness than expected for the amount of hops.

Overall a very impressive beer. One of the best IPA's I've ever had.

3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

Sent by lurchingbeast, thanks man. Keep lurching.

Amber, slightly hazy, medium head, good retention, excellent lacing. Smells softly malty, caramel-ly, with a medium hop character. Good hoppiness in the taste with medium bitterness supported by a firm malt backbone. Slightly sweet in taste but clean enough in the finish. The carbonation was IPA appropriate. Quite good.

4, 4, 4, 4, 3.5

PS: I would seriously like to know the reason for putting an IPA in a bomber and then waxing the hell out of it. WHY? Especially since the wax was a pain in the ass to take off.

4.42/5  rDev +4%

2012 Batch into tulip. No visible BB date.
Thanks to kristalynn for this.

A- Slightly chill hazed, bright orange pour. Two and a half finger soapy, sticky snow white head. Lacing is excellent.

S- Super pungent floral hops. Bright citrus, bitter pine and grassy as hell. Sweet malts add a touch of caramel.

T- Bright citrus, HUGE citrus and pine resin goodness. This is a hop bomb. Bottle says 75ibu tastes like 200+. Sweet malts and a touch of candied sugar.

M- Light to medium body, good carbonation, slightly sticky on the lips.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from bomber into a pint glass.

A- Hazy straw-gold body, lots of carbonation on the pour that settles as the beer opens up. Great 2 finger head with decent retention that leaves sticky lacing.

S- YES! Lots of piney/grassy hop, some floral notes. Just hoppy as hell! I love it! Not complex but this is how an IPA should smell!

T- Palate follows nose. Grassy, LOTS of pine, some citrus (bitter grapefruit), caramalt a bit on the finish, but this is a very hop dominated beer! Just too delicious!

MF- Light-medium body, light carbonation, sticky and very long piney/bitter citrus finish that won't let go.

O- This is a great IPA. Must have! Not much more to say than that... I would recommend it to any hop head and IPA lover. I am getting this again and again!

4.62/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber poured into a snifter. My first offering from Drake's, and I've heard good things.

A- Light and clear orange color with a finger's worth of head that fades fairly quickly, leaving alot of stickiness along the sides of the glass.

S- The name does not lie; as soon as I popped the cap, the hop aroma hit me. Very citrusey in the aroma, with orange, mango, and grapefruit shining through. I also get some overall floral notes as well. Great smelling beer.

T- The taste lives up to the smell also. Initially I get some piney resin hop bitterness, then a slight hint of a malty backbone. The citrus most noted in the smell is not nearly as apparent in the taste.

M- Light bodied, easy drinker, nice carbonation. A very hoppy yet balanced beer. The alcohol is not noted.

This is a great beer, classic West-Coast. Too bad Drake's doesn't distribute here in Illinois.

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

A- nicely colored IPA. Pretty light amber with a thick two finger white head that left a perfect ring around the glass.

S- light citrus fruits and hops.

T- wow!!! Super fruity and citrusy. Very nice hop flavor with sweet malts in the back. A lot of mango and passion fruit up front. Quite possibly one of the best IPAs I've had.

M- light on the tongue without a lot of residue. I'd like a little more carbonation.

O- amazing IPA! I'm a hop lover and this beer will stay on my shelf, if I can find it again.

3.43/5  rDev -19.3%

22 oz bottle, thanks Richard.

Pours a hazy golden amber with a quickly dissipating white head. Aroma is CTZ hops, resiny and bitter, with a strong biscuit malt presence. Grainy, bitter flavor, resiny hops throughout, mild citrus sweetness in the finish, but a strong malt body balances out the bitterness. Medium thick, light carbonation, and a dry, leafy finish. Extremely forgettable, an adequate local IPA. I'm going to assume this falls off really fast or something?

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

A: poured into an imperial nonic. nice deep yellow to light orange hue that is slightly hazed with a small white head that retains well
S: aptly named beer with some delicious grapefruit and pine aroma. intoxicatingly resinous
T: caramel malt that is quickly beaten down by some piney resinous hop with a slight citrus kick. lightly toasted malt and more caramel. more delicious grapefruit. swallow brings more grapefruit and slight pine with a hint of residual sugar
M: nice and soft carbonation with a medium mouthfeel. slightly slick and oily but not overly so
O: this stuff is sex in a bottle. holy crap is it good, from the smell to the taste it is just world class all the way. I want to have a kid just to name it after this beer.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Plaza Wine purchase

Bomber to standard pint
*Notes from 08/26/12

A: AC pours a super clear brass-like darkened gold color fitted with a huge sudsy froth of dirty whiteness. Moderate hold with some real chunky lacing remnant.

S: Aroma is of juicy fruit gum! Fresh orchard peach meets spiced grapefruit, lemon peel, and gooseberry. No malt or alcohol to report. While I found the smell to be good, as this beer’s namesake, it’s not really the olfactory hop assault as advertised.

T: Taste has a nice lemon-lime and pine combo. Spiced grapefruit with lesser notes of cantaloupe/melon. There is a nice stingy hop bite with a bit of peppery spice towards the finish. Malt flavors are delicate and bring in a dose of graham cracker sweetness to round out the brew. Pine is persistent. There is a flash of alcohol in the finish and a slight metallic tinge noted. This is an August release so can’t be that old. Flavors are still nice and danky. I fear the bottle maybe well traveled however as the shop owner mentioned this was supposed to be in two weeks ago.

M: Moderate to lighter body with a nice frothy feel. Bit of astringent pucker and lingering hop resins. Finishes a touch wetter than preferred.

D: This is a nice IPA with some good flavors and a clean fruity nose. Did not really wow me otherwise. I guess my expectations were high based on the good word and other reviews.

I recommend trying to get this one fresh off the tap if you can.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a golden, copper in color with a nice finger-thick white, sudsy head. Lots of lacing as you drink hints at the amount of hops this thing packs. Carbonation levels look solid, if not a bit on the low side (which I actually tend to prefer).

S: Wow, this thing packs some major aroma. Lychee, lemon, grapefruit, mango, orange, juniper, pine resin and a bit of floralness... truly spans the hop spectrum. Gotta love those Cascade hops. There is also a hint of malt lingering in the background and definitely a bit of alcohol especially as it warms. A fitting name, I must say.

T: A hop assault up front, which follows the notes in the aroma quite well. Definitely a hop-forward and predominantly bitter beer, but there is still a solid malt backbone in there that keeps everything in check. I must note that this beer tastes particularly fresh, perhaps because of my proximity to the brewery.

M: Medium bodied but light on the tongue. Some chewiness but relatively thin (but not watery). A good amount of bite. Carbonation makes itself known but isn't overly bothering. As noted in the appearance, it's probably on the low side, but that truly lends to the drinkability.

O: Truly pleased with this one. Not only is it solidly flavorful, but it's actually quite drinkable. This one jumped out at me in the store based on packaging and description and I must say it was as advertised. I loved the freshness of the brew and wouldn't hesitate to grab it again whenever I'm in the mood. If you're looking for something that will please a hop-head, look no further. Cheers!

On tap at Drake's Barrel House from the weekend of the release.

Pours a light gold/amber with tight cap of head that dissipates fairly quick, decent lacing.

The namesake of the beer is pretty amazing, although not as great as I remember from 2011. Blend of pine, floral notes, lemon/orange citrus, grapefruit, and some dank herbal notes reminiscent of Summit hops. Definitely couldn't stop smelling this one between sips.

Taste is a pretty balanced mix of grapefruit/orange citrus, herbal/grassy flavors in the mid palate and some dank notes on the finish. Bitterness builds well and lingers just enough in the finish. Feels bigger than the listed 75 IBUs.

Body is another highlight, has that slight slickness that I find characteristic of Drake's hoppy beers. Finishes semi-dry with minimal alcohol heat.

Another hit from Drake's, although the aroma wasn't as strong as I expected. Another round of dry-hopping might make this perfect.

4.11/5  rDev -3.3%

Received in a trade with beachstrength49. Thanks man!
Poured into my FFF teku glass

Appearance: This IPA poured an orange-copper like color and produced a great two finger size bright white head. The head settled down to soft coating on the surface of the beer. Some lacing is evident.

Smell: Well whats to be expected with a beer named as such. Big time pine hops. Also getting citrus with grass/floral aromas followed up by orange peel, lemon, some lime (a little tropical fruit). Have to admit with a beer named Aroma Coma I was expecting tons more here.

Taste: Up front I get the hop profile on the front of the tongue but interestingly I get the tropical fruits more than I expected. It is bitter as it sort of makes me pucker and is quite dry in the finish. The fruits are there as pineapple, mango, some lemon, grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: I'd say light in the mouth with moderate carbonation. This is what I would describe as "crisp" and quite refreshing.

Overall: Though not completely wowed I did enjoy this very much. The taste is well balanced and quite an easy drinker actually. As my first glass is nearing empty I must mention the lacing is spectacular as it is sticking to the glass like it dried there when I know there is no possibility that it has.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

it is all about the dry hopping here.... drake's regular IPA is a solid offering.... but this ups the ante with some serious aroma hops added after the boil. the effect is fantastic.

pours a pretty darn clear golden amber with a generous white foam that sticks nicely to the glass. very appealing. the smell is as advertised, fresh and a little on the piney side with citrus overtones.

the taste is outstanding as well.... a very sumptuous beer, i think the late hop addition comes out in the flavor as well.... you get a big dose of bitter but it is mild at the same time and does not kill your palate. you get a really nice bitter-sweet mouth coating.... definitely a west coast IPA, you get the hops and a nice dry finish. a little oily in the mouthfeel, but it is just right and you still get the dry finish.

love the drakes! one of the overlooked gems of west coast beer.

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Chad for this one. No bottling date but this one is from the newest release. About 3 weeks at this point. Into a Lost Abbey Teku glass.

Pours a frothy, 1 finger white head with good retention. Beer is clear orange-copper. Lacing is stringy and thick with good stick, close to the head. Quite a looker!

Tree sap, citrus, cane sugar, and some other tropical fruit (noticeably no papaya or pineapple). Aromatic. Nice.

Opens some citrus, tree sap hop bitterness. Bark, fresh grass, with a light cane sugar malt backbone. More hop bite towards the end with a sticky, resiny finish. Lightly bitter aftertaste. Delicious.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth and quenching in the mouth and crisp and refreshing going down. Accented finish with a mellow, lingering aftertaste. Real drinkable. The perfect summer beer.

I usually prefer the more citrus and papaya prominent IPA more. That being said, this is a really solid representation of the style. Hugely drinkable with great balance in the flavor. Very good.

4.27/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottled: recently I'm assured.

Apricot with a good peanut quilt, low clarity. Smells of citra, orange, lime, pine, weed, resin - all the awesome things from hops together. The nose does not fit any single IPA, it's blowing my mind - I'm expecting booze, but the ABV indicates otherwise. So I give it a taste, I'm surprised at the bitterness up front - then the citrus notes come back through and bitch slap my tongue. Biscuity malts follow through. Medium bodied with hi carb and an oddly dry finish. Nice beer, really nice beer.

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a brandy snifter.

A: Great lacing. A finger of light head, translucent golden.

S: Pleasant, rather piny hops dominate. Lots of C's, including my favorite, Citra. (Also Cascade, Chinook, and CTZ.) Powerful resin, with only a touch of fruit. I'd say Cascade and Columbus carry the day.

T: Very nice IPA. Crisp, pleasingly citrusy-fruity, and not oppressively hoppy. Herbal, earthy, oniony hop base are outshone by a bitterer maintaste supported by a background of light malt (two-row and Caramalt). The aftertaste is grapefruit rind and lingering, pleasant bitterness.

M: Well-supported, lightly carbonated, unobtrusive.

O: Overall great IPA. Perhaps not the best ever, but one of the best on the West Coast. Rivals -- and perhaps exeeds -- Racer 5, my go-to 'best IPA in America'. Recommended.

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

22oz bomber. Fresh bottle. Served in a tulip.

Pours a clear golden orange with about a finger of white foam. A swath or two of lacing left in glass.

Aroma of tropical citrus, tangerine, grapefruit, wet grass, light floral notes. Plenty of sweetness as well, kind of a blend of sweet fruit and caramel.

Flavor hits you with initial citrusy bitterness with somewhat muted notes found in the aroma. Malt balances things out but isn't as sweet as the nose. A more floral bitterness sticks through the middle of the flavor and lingers into the aftertaste. A touch of sweet caramel emerges in the finish as well.

Medium-light bodied with a nice medium amount of carbonation. Snappy on the finish.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a slightly hazy liquid gold with a solid 2-finger white frothy head which leaves globs of lace.

N: Tremendous grapefruit/citrus combine with floral and herbal notes.

T: Dank and sticky resiny pine with juicy citrus. Some malty backbone evident on warming.

M: Moderate body and lots of carbonation. Bitter and dry finish.

O: A big hop bomb for sure. Really good solid IPA left me burping hoppy suds.

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

This is a respondent golden clear color with a tight foam cap. I am in awe of the incredible aroma. Tropical fruit! Guava! Some mango! The aroma is just amazing… If this put me in a coma I would be a happy man in my somnolence.

The beer has a pleasing bitterness to it which reveals notes of tropical fruit flavors. At least to the extend that an IPA will taste like tropical fruits. Think light, delicate, lightly bodied with enough heft to support it. Some light resin and a ton of fruity aromatic deliciousness followed by a dry finish. I felt like this beer was absolutely delicious. Loved every sip.

Bravo, Drakes!

4.42/5  rDev +4%

Thanks to eyebereej for sending this one! Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into pint glass.

A: Pours a clear copper, with a one and a half finger white head, medium visible carbonation.

S: Flowery, tropical fruit hops, with just a bit of the sweat/garlic early hop harvest notes - excellent.

T: Follows the nose well with additions of dank, grassy, hay hop flavors. A light malt flavor in background.

M: Lighter than expected mouthfeel, although it's hard to remember this is an IPA, not a DIPA. Nice amount of carbonation sensation, mild alcohol presence. Grassy hop bitterness and some malt sweetness in the hang.

O: This is my first time having Aroma Coma, and this bottle is very fresh. This is really, really good and I'm very happy to have had a chance to try it. Excellent beer.

4.34/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, this beer is pretty much just what I want in an IPA. Mandarin orange citrus hop nose, satisfyingly bitter yet flavorful citrus and resin from the hops, with enough of a malt backbone to actually be discernible through all the hop, perfectly carbonated for drinkability. The only possible hole I can find in this one (relative to my personal taste in IPA) is just a faint touch on the resinous side. This is a great seasonal variation from Drake’s, outshining their standard IPA for sure.

4.34/5  rDev +2.1%

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Received as an extra in a recent trade with BA KevSal (this guy knows what I like in a beer, it seems).

Freshness info-wise, I didn't find a date on the label or bottle, but this apparently comes out every August and I think it hit the store it was bought from last Friday. The aroma speaks for itself though; this is not an old IPA.

Appearance: Free pour yields a 1 inch frothy white head that dissipates quickly. Pours a hazy yellow with orange/gold highlights. Some small spots of lacing.

Smell: If you took the name to be "Just another punny hoppy beer name," the aroma of Aroma Coma says, "No: we mean it as a boast, and we're right." This is put your head in the hop fridge at the homebrew shop caliber; top tier.

The first thing I notice is a lot of ambiguous citrus with bright yet pungent greenhouse-like aromas. Distinct grapefruit undercurrent comes out soon and sticks around, along with mango. The pungent aroma is like smelling Cascade hops before you put them in a beer and end up with just citrus and pine; that dank, herbal aroma that I basically only experience with hops on their own or really, really good IPAs.

Could go on with the grocery list of fruit and woodsy aromas (Citra orange and lime, etc), as this beer pulls the best out of all 4 of its advertised hops (Chinook, Citra, CTZ, Cascade). This beer smells like some naive hop head homebrewer dreamed up the perfect aroma, and then miraculously achieved it in the finished product.

Taste: Hop-wise, the taste lives up to the aroma; all those beautiful, various hop notes are there (though a lot more pine in the flavor). There's some good hop bitterness and dryness, but my palate wants both to be dialed up... maybe the outrageously bold hop aroma/flavor are switching on bone-dry + DIPA bitterness expectations.

Each sip is dominated by hops (there's really no malt flavor to speak of, besides an almost characterless sweetness), at a ratio of like 50% pine, 35% citrus (grapefruit and orange), 15% that awesome Cascade/Citra pungency I mentioned in the Smell section. It's absolute hop wizardry, but if I'm honest I can say that the "no-malt" and not-quite-bitter-enough aspects are mild flaws.

Going along with the no-malt, while this beer is somewhat paradoxically not-quite-dry-enough, it also strikes me as almost over-attenuated in that it tastes boozy even at 6.7% ABV. That's not a low ABV to begin with, but I don't expect heat like this under 8~9%.

If I could give this a 4.25, I would. I'm wavering between 4 and 4.5 because of the hop smorgasbord and how much I love it, but ending on 4.0 because in the end there is a lack of balance despite its soaring virtues.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Slightly succulent. Moderately dry finish. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: Despite the note about booziness, this beer goes down really easy. The fact is, balance issues or not, this hop flavor is just delicious--you take a sip, and you want to take another sip, immediately. I'd be happy to drink this beer again, and feel very fortunate to have tried it so fresh.

My first experience with Drake's, and I'm impressed with their talent.

3.87/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a clear, pale yellow with decent head and good lacing as you drink. Tons of citrus in the nose, mainly grapefruit. Lots of pine as well. Malt is definitely present as well, bready with a little biscuit. Taste starts light, like pilsner malt, fades quick to a bitter, green hops. Pine and sap come to mind for the taste as well. The taste is thick, but not in feel. The sharp bitterness lingers between sips. The feel is balanced but feels a bit acidic on the tongue. Finish is on the dry side.

This really reminded me of Sculpin in the nose, but it really tasted and felt like a hoppy pale ale. The ABV would suggest this is more a pale as well. I appreciate that this is so hoppy with a low ABV, and it still feels mostly balanced to boot. Beginning to really like Drake's stuff.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Tulip glass.

Pours light golden with a hint of copper, a finger and a half of bright white head. Very good retention and some messy lacing.

S: Very nice citrus, grass/herbal/spice; the crystal and caramel malt are there but in a decidedly supporting role. Well balanced.

T: Same, hop forward but malt plays a nice supporting role. Citrus, grass, dried spice. Mild bitterness surfaces and disappears on the finish. Very good, but could pack just a touch more flavor to really put it over the top.

M: Medium body and carbonation. A little bit of a creamy mouthfeel.

O: Excellent! A delicate IPA that showcases the hops and leaves malt presence minimal, making this very drinkable.

Aroma Coma from Drake's Brewing Co.