Hopocalypse Black Label | Drake's Brewing Co.

Hopocalypse Black LabelHopocalypse Black Label

Drake's Brewing Co.
drinkdrakes.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by KevSal on 02-04-2012

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hopocalypse Black Label
Drakes brewing
Triple IPA
12.5% ABV

APPEARANCE: Poured a dark over ripe nectarine color, subtle but bright light honey colored variations throughout. Big fluffy loosely bubbled 2 finger head that dissipated slowly leaving a nice spotted lacing on the glass. Really enjoy the color of this beer!

AROMA: Smells like I'm cutting fresh fruit for a tropical salad. Mango, papaya and pineapple. Lemon zest and a nice malty sweetness. Very I pressed with the nose on this considering it's a more then a few months old. Juicy and wet aroma not much of a hop present. Possibly slight pine resin but that also could because I know what drinking and what I should be looking for.

TASTE: Wow! This tastes amazing. Like a party in my mouth and tropical fruit was invited. So much mango, nectarine candied pineapple but not overwhelming at all. Nice squeeze of fresh lemon comes in and I'm actually picking up some nice muted hops that work really well. I am getting some honey sweet malty goodness coming through I'm assuming more now then would be if fresh. Slight bitterness on the end that really pulls the flavor profile together.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium plus body and a lazy low carbonation that just kinda pops and tingles slightly. Light oil slickness with a great bitter warm finish from the high ABV.

OVERALL: I was very impressed with this triple for such a high ABV it was very drinkable for me. I enjoyed every last drop! Would love to have had this fresh to compare. It did drink a bit more like a barley wine almost like an aged hopslam. I would for sure search this out either fresh or with age on it any day!

RATING: 4.8/5 Zombie Heads!

4.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.73/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Ah, the elusive black label Hopocalypse.
Piney, bitter, intense with a candied orange sweetness. Finishes dry and sweet, which makes it immensely drinkable. Warms up well. Watch out for the kick from the ABV!

4.71/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Hop Bomb!!! On tap at release 1/31/15, its a yearly thang.
Looks a lil dark for my taste but the hop resin is visible thru plastic cup and has a nice thick 1inch head!
Smells really great orange/tropical some pinecreepibg out but I think its just a pleasant overload to my senses:)
Really big taste, this isn't smooth & trying to hide alc/flavor, if you dont like big Dank in your face try somethi else!
Nice to drink, could probably slam 2pints if I wasnt driving.
Great job by Drakes, I always look forward to their Big IPA's, this really is Big!

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I could have sworn I had reviewed this before since I have consumed a few in my past...guess not. Had it on tap but this review is from the bottle. Picked up yesterday 2/1/14 from the brewery release.

Pours a nice clear orangy/amber colored ale with a off-white foamy head that dissolves a little quickly but leaves a ring to keep me company. Maybe a touch of lacing....but not much.

The aroma was hitting me first with big blasts of pineapple. Huge. Reminds me of those small dole pineapple juice cans I used to drink. That slowly fades and then the citrus and pine notes are brought forth. Oranges and grapefruit offer sweet whiffs. The 12.5% booze is apparent in the background but very subtle. Just enough whiffs of malt to let me know it's not all hops. Outstanding.

The taste is almost tangerine/pineapple/and any citrus fruit rind tasting. Just big gulps of fruit blasts with a touch of tartness and a finish of bitterness and light heat. Excellent. These guys did a great job of placing 100+ IBUs in this and really keeping it relatively smooth. Almost no booze presence on the sips....but it definitely creeps up quickly, but not enough to keep me from finishing the bomber. There is just enough malt to keep it nicely balanced. It works.

Overall this was worth the 3 hour wait for only a two bottle allotment. Some say the green label is better...and so be it. I prefer this gem and though I only see it once a year and for a few hours, it is a reward worth seeking out and repeating. I had it on tap yesterday and I must say, for once, the bottle version bested the draft. Go figure.

Hopocalypse Black Label from Drake's Brewing Co.