Sockeye Red India Pale Ale | Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

Sockeye Red India Pale AleSockeye Red India Pale Ale
3.79/5
Very Good
Sockeye Red India Pale AleSockeye Red India Pale Ale

Midnight Sun Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States
midnightsunbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Brewed in the bold spirit of Alaska, Sockeye Red IPA is a finely crafted Pacific Northwest-style India Pale Ale with a real bite. Ample pale two-row malt creates a fresh, firm body while specialty malts impart a spawning red hue. The predominant character of this fiesty catch comes from outlandish portions of Centennial, Cascade and Simcoe hops, giving this beer tremendous citrus and floral aroma and flavor.

Determined and bitter but amazingly balanced, Sockeye Red IPA is gnarly enough to take you hook, line and sinker. Forget about a bigger rig; grab a bigger glass.

Added by purplehops on 02-21-2003

1.27/5  rDev -66.5%

22oz purchased at OL beercafe in Walnut Creek.

I can't tell if something is wrong with it or if it's supposed to taste like this. Filled with harsh, phenolic, medicinal flavors. It tastes like my Union Jack clone (british yeast, combination of british and us malt, cascade & centennial hops), and I considered that batch a failure.

The hops are so harsh and raw that they leave my mouth feeling like I sucked on a combination of kitchen cleaner and mouthwash. Dry, hard to taste the malt behind the hops and the harsh phenolics. It is possible I got a bad batch - I can't believe it would taste like this all the time.

Next time I go to Alaska, I'll have a fresh pint at the brewery. If it's better, I'll amend my review. For now, I can hardly finish my half of the bottle.

2.35/5  rDev -38%

Smooth, malty & great hop kick at the top, followed by more malts and spice (from the alcohol)some citrus, then ending with more pine-like spices...a surprisingly dry finish...The carbonation is good There's a good fullness. Present, but not 'too' much fruity/sweet flavors...The final pine/spice balances the beer out wonderfully, although the VERY dry aftertaste threw me...I was expecting a fruitier/hoppier finish...This one good, but not as 'GREAT' as so many others claim...Not to 'poo-poo' the Bros, but 'c-mon...OK...I agree this is still a great example of a NW American IPA, but there are far better ones out 'here' than the hype of this one...I just didn't like the over-dry ending notes...perhaps better on tap, eh?!...Chasin' Cheers :~)

2.48/5  rDev -34.6%

Nice looking deep orange/amber tone. Big ol fucking ivory white head that forms valleys as it slowly dissipates. Many streams of CO2 ascend to the surface rapidly. On the nose I get grapefruit pulp, lemon rind, slight cannabis and orange. As I taste it I realize that there is TOO much carbonation. Gaseous in the mouth. A little hard to swallow. The taste is not much better. Astingent, husky, tannin-like. Only slight reminders here and there that this is actually an IPA. It doesn't taste that good.

This is the second "bad" bottle in as many tries of this specific beer. Upon closer inspection of the bottle, it looks like the M is marked (for March) and the 1 is marked (for 2001 I assume). That could be a problem.

Thanks for the effort Bum.

2.5/5  rDev -34%

2.5/5  rDev -34%

2.63/5  rDev -30.6%

Poured this IPA into pint glass from the 22 oz bomber.. Nice hue. Red in color with an off white lacy and foamy head.

Initial smell was citrusy and some what piney.

Taste was hops, hops and more hops. I am sure there are some malts in their but the hops over power everything else. Tasty was diacytel and very piney. Left a piney after taste which quickly disipatted into nothing. Not smooth at all. Mouthfeel was avg. at best.

This IPA does not suit me at all. I am also reviewing this for a friend so, luckily this first and last was a gift.

2.74/5  rDev -27.7%

22 ounce bottle purchased from Liquid Solutions for about five dollars

Poured into my Russian River pint glass with a dark amber color with a golden orange tint, left a 3/4 inch white lumpy head that also left lots of lacing

Smell was weak, got some floral hop aromas and a small bit of citrus, hard to distinguish, but I would say tangerine or lemon, also hints of faintly sweet malt

Taste was alright, it had a piney taste but felt like it was over hopped, not much balance, not the type of bitterness that you hope to find from and IPA, tasted some small caramel flavors and mellow malty flavors, finish is pretty strong but fades away quickly, not much going on, no hop variety whatsoever, as it warmed it just became easier to drink but the taste got even weaker

Tons of carbonation that was probably too much, average body, but a taste that did not really stand up for a long time

Could maybe drink another bottle of this, the taste just is one dimensional and gets pretty old, pretty light on the stomach and the ABV is fairly low as well, this was did not stand a chance against the other Midnight Sun beer I drank last night, Obliteration 2, I cannot really recommend this beer, not very impressed

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

2.96/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 fl oz aluminum can acquired at Adam's Fine Wine and Liquor in Redondo Beach earlier tonight and served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. I like the can art. 70 IBUs. 5.7% ABV confirmed. No visible best before/bottled on date.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. As soon as I opened it, some liquid foamed out; overcarbonation is expected.

A: Pours a four finger beige/khaki colour head of decent cream, nice thickness, and good (~4-5 minute) retention. Body colour is a clear vibrant translucent copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks good for an IPA. No lacing as the had recedes. I'd like a more frothy head.

Sm: Light grapefruit. Noticeable hop bitterness - I'm hoping that's not going to be the case in the taste as well. Floral hop character. Biscuity malts; caramalt. A pretty light aroma. Pretty standard; there's nothing unique or special here. Subpar for the style. I hope the taste is better than the aroma.

T: Caramel, caramalts, some biscuit malt. Noticeable untamed hop bitterness. Flroal hop character but not much. Biting. Grapefruit. Lacks balance; it's not very good. Not very flavorful. Boring. Poorly built for an IPA - "red" or not.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Undercarbonated. Not quite thick enough. Doesn't suit the flavour profile all that well.

Dr: Drinkable but forgettable. I expected far better from a brewery as acclaimed as Midnight Sun. It's decent but pedestrian. I definitely wouldn't get it again. Disappointing but okay.

High C

2.99/5  rDev -21.1%

While on a land tour in Anchorage Al, purchased a sampler at Humpy's

A: Amber in color, with a small head.

S: Cranberries/grapefruit smell to it.

T: Bitter/tart taste, too strong for me.

M: Full bodied, heavy carbonation, strong.

O: Least favorite of the sampler, too strong for me..

3.03/5  rDev -20.1%

When I began to pour Sockeye Red the foam immediately filled my glass. I slowly added more beer until the stiff, thick foam looked like whipped cream on top of a sundae. When it finally subsided it left quite a bit of lace on the sides of the glass and a thin ring on the surface of this hazy amber colored beer.

The aroma is mainly orange citrus. Hints of oak and malt are also detected. Each sip of this light to medium bodied beer has a mild tingle on the tongue. The flavor begins with some citrus hop notes before a stronger oak and sweet malt taste takes over. It finishes sweet with a mild taste of candy sugar left behind.

This beer had an interesting combination of hops, oak and sweet malt. The oak seemed to dominate each sip. An interesting twist to an IPA.

3.03/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Clean and dark amber color with moderate bubble activity. The beer came highly carbonated which allowed a sudsy light tan head to spring forth.

S: Soft tangerine, some soap, little bit of pine sol and minor bready qualities.

T: Unfortunately, it tastes a lot like it smells. The flavor is dominated by a soapy, basic pine flavor that has avocado traits to it. Not a lot of depth, not a lot of attractive flavors. Some floral components but can’t get away from the sticky pine sol flavor.

M: Medium body, soft across the palate.

D: This beer was a disappointment in my book. Pass.

Sockeye Red India Pale Ale from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.