Arctic Rhino Coffee Porter | Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

good
Arctic Rhino Coffee PorterArctic Rhino Coffee Porter

Midnight Sun Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States
midnightsunbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Inspired by local artist & roaster Michael Allen's eccentricly-named blend of coffee beans, Midnight Sun's brewers designed a beer recipe and flavor infusion process that perfectly captures the alluring aroma, satisfying flavor and curious legend of Allen's Arctic Rhino Coffee Blend.

Arctic Rhino Coffee Porter combines two quintessential Pacific Northwest favorites: coffee and ale. The result is wonderfully romantic and robust--a duel-fueled porter that melds charismatic dark malt with freshly roasted coffee beans.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2005

3.35/5  rDev -10.2%

I've got a 22 ounce bottle that needs to be emptied. On to the beer:

The head forms large on top of the ink black colored beer. Head retention is good, leaves some patchy works of lacing to the glass. The coffee in this beer has no problem showing itself off in the nose, and with it are chocolate syrup notes that complimet the coffee.

Dissapointment arrives in the taste; it doesn't grab my senses. I can taste a little of the delicous coffee, then it quickly fades and faint notes of wet cardboard arrive. Bittersweet throughout. The body is light-medium with a small burst of carbonation in the mouth.

An okay beer from the 49th state. For $12.99, I expected more than merely okay. At least I know where not to spend my allowance next time.

3.37/5  rDev -9.7%

About 4oz in a glass.

Appearance: midnight black, no light escapes this one, creamy head and lace that coats the glass like a blanket of khaki foam

Smell: holy coffee, there is a flood of coffee, chocolate, dark espresso

Taste/Mouthfeel: chocolate, coffee(duh), espresso, hops by the gallon, coated the throat like a bad cough syrup

I did like this one with the exception that it was this like molasses. I like my beers to be a little more smooth and less thick. Overall it was a joy to try. Thanks Sourdough Mining Co.

3.39/5  rDev -9.1%

a - a deep, dark black pour with a thick, dirty looking head... an excellent looking beer

s - light hints of coffee, bit of toffee, roasted malts

t - coffee, roasted malts,hint of vanilla, bitter cold cup a coffee kinda ending...

m - somewhat creamy, yet thinner than I thought..bit watery..

0 - not a bad beer...maybe drink a fresher one in the future, not sure how long I've had this...

3.4/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Another bottle shipped home from my swing to the Northwest. Only a few left.

A dull finish on this brown beer and an almost milky tan head that forms. Lots of clinging lacing sticks to your glass.

Aroma is a mix of roasted malt and obviously coffee. Not much sweetness here which was confirmed in the flavor.

Two me there are two camps of Coffee Beers. Ones that taste like a wonderful glass of coffee and this can either be a dark “black” cup of espresso or otherwise.. even some taste like a creamy sweet cup of coffee of cappuccino. These are the ones that are good. Then there’s those that resemble the flavor of used coffee grinds. Sadly this one falls into that category... But it’s not nearly has coarse as some others I’ve tried. Coffee grounds rule the day here and this is begging for a bot of sweetness for balance.

Medium bodied could have benefitted from a little more of a rounded mouth feel.

I am always excited to try everything from Midnight Sun, but this wasn’t among my favorites. Live and learn.

3.41/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured a nice almost black but a masssive brown head comes barreling up the glass as soon as I finish pouring. Now I'm all for good head, but the nature of this one is... not what I would expect/desire from this style. It reminds me of a homebrew where I didn't clean out the bottles well enough.

The aroma restores some of my faith. It's all black coffee and roasty malts with a little bit of dark sweet chocolate which is pretty much what I was hoping for from this brew. Dark and rich initially, though as it has warmed much of that excitement has dissipated and it is just kind of burnt grains.

Sadly, the goodwill this beer built on its nose is abandoned once it gets into your mouth. The first thing that stands out is that this beer is WAY overcarbonated. The fears the explosive head brought forth are rekindled here as all I can really get off my tongue is tingly bubbles. Fighting through them for a moment I get glimpses of the black beans and dark chocolate that my nose was promised, but only that. There's some encouraging aspects here, but it tastes like something one of my friends would have made (who are talented in their own right!), not something coming from a solid professional brewery.

I would not pick this one up again, but would drink it if someone gave it to me and there weren't better options. If you must be bright at Midnight exploring the Arctic, pass on the Rhino's horn and find the Devil instead.

3.42/5  rDev -8.3%

22 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks to AKBelgianBeast for including this in a trade.

Pours black (with a bit of ruby along the bottom)with 2 fingers of burnt mocha colored head that starts out foamy but then settles into a fizzy retention. Not much lace is to found. The aroma is astringent coffee grounds, some espresso, and light notes of balancing caramel.

The taste is once again coffee grounds (with a slight sour character) lactic millk notes, subtle roasted malts, and a caramel sweetness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a bit of a prickly feel but the overall carbonation seems a little flat at times.

Not quite what I was expecting. The coffee character came off a little too much like burnt coffee grounds and neither the look or feel were very impressive. Maybe I waited a bit long to consume this, as the overall character just didn't come off as very fresh or exciting.

3.43/5  rDev -8%

Thanks to brewdlyhooked13 for this bottle.

22oz. brown bomber poured into an imperial pint. Bottled 3rd week of September.

A: Pours deep brown, nearly completely opaque. 2+ big fingers of light khaki head forms on the rocky side but holds pretty good. Decent lacing throughout.

S: Stale, but pleasant, coffee nose. Loads of earthy spent coffee grounds. A light sweetness similar to cream.

T/M: Check this out, bro. Coffee. Does that not blow your mind? Yeah, no shit. Lots of the earthy and gritty coffee ground goodness found in the nose. Sweetness is much more controlled which is a bit of a let down. In its place is a very dry, slightly bitter character. Body is moderate and has a diet cola like fizzy carbonation feel.

D: Still a tasty brew because I love me some coffee porters. Easy enough to drink. I'm very glad I got a chance to try this but I'll probably seek out my porters elsewhere.

3.44/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.45/5  rDev -7.5%

A: 1/4" light brown head that left a nice lacing over black liquid.

S: Coffee, toasted malt, dark chocolate and yeast.

T: Coffee, caramel, and toasted malt with a bit of a chalky presence.

M: Medium viscosity and a high level of bubbly carbonation.

O: Some promising aspects but ultimately something was missing in the taste.

3.45/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance: Nearly black with minimal head and lace.

Aroma: Malt, roastiness, coffee.

Taste: No surprises here. Exactly what one would expect from a Coffee Porter. Roastiness, dark malt, bitter chocolate, and of course, coffee. Hops create a balance but are not a big part of the taste profile. A pretty decent effort but a little on the boring side. A nice blend of flavors, but I thought the whole thing ought to be ramped up a little.

Mouthfeel: Viscosity is medium-light, carbonation is moderate. Some astringency from the roastiness and/or coffee and/or hops.

Drinkability: Easy to quaff a couple of pints of this, but that’s enough for me. It just doesn’t grab my attention that effectively.

3.47/5  rDev -7%

3.47/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It'd be more apt if this dusky Midnight Sun offering were just named 'Midnight'. But Arctic Rhino does have carbonation that charges like an angry safari animal; eventually the brown foam calms down, settling into what we'd consider an average size head, but the bubbles themselves persist in ramming into the surface and butting themselves against the glass.

This porter doesn't smell nearly as deep and dark as it looks. In fact, the aroma is a real disappointment. There's very little coffee and/or chocolate presence, instead there's a distracting vinous and fruity yeast character in their place. It's most uninviting and, I'm guessing, unintentional (the way the foam continues to build up in the bottle I'm almost certainly right).

Fortunately that issue with the yeast hasn't completely ruined the taste to the extent it has the bouquet. There's still a good deal of velvety milk chocolate flavour (as well as some more crude, less refined dark cocoa notes) and no shortage of roasty black coffee. Even a few earthy hops can be made out, lending a pleasantly crunchy bitterness to the finish.

As a general rule I opt not to review infected or otherwise flawed beers unless the brewery is a repeat offender and the issue was something avoidable they consciously neglected to address. I think Midnight Sun is a pretty good brewery but it's not the first time I've purchased a less than stellar bottle. In fairness, the beer travels very far before it lands in front of my computer...

So I've got mixed feelings writing this review of Arctic Rhino. On the one hand, it's far from the lush, charismatic coffee porter I was hoping for; on the other, it's in line with the slightly underwhelming, 'good-but-not-great' standard I've come to expect from Midnight Sun. It's worth grabbing a bottle... so long as you don't have to freeze your buns off to get it.

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

thanks again tom for sharing this!

22oz bottle at fridge temp poured into a snifter.

pours out nearly black with one fingers worth of light tan colored head. average retention and lace.

very earthy, grassy hops, espresso beans are there but are thrown off a bit by the somewhat strange dirt like earthiness. roasted malts.

follows the aroma, slight dirt and grassy earthiness. again the coffee is there, espresso bean like, but tastes a bit off. a little hoppier than expected. light roast flavors.

a weak feel, medium to light in body, almost a bit watery.

overall, some nice coffee flavors, but this needed some more body for sure. also had an odd earthiness to it.

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a deep brown with substantial sandy head that lingers and laces as you sip.

The nose is of course full of coffee but some roasted and chocolate malt characteristics play a strong second chair.

Initial taste is full on bitter coffee and I honestly couldn't detect much complexity in the roast just a straight Folgers bitter. After the coffee the taste mellows into a short, sweet malt and the bitterness from the coffee.

Kind of thin body but a fair amount of carbonation to let the flavors work.

The verdict? I've had better beers of this style that layer a more complex or enticing coffee roast over the typical porter malts you expect and overall they keep me coming back. This is however a solid beer from a great brewery and represents the style adequately.

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks brewczar for this sample.

Nearly pitch black, coffee colored voluminous head, good retention, sticky lacing.
Roasted coffee beans dominate the aroma, with some chocolate, but that is about it. Medium to thin, more coffee on the taste, with some cocoa, but a bit too subtle for my taste.
Not their best effort, but still nice.

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

This seems an appropriate beer after roasting some coffee. A solid pour produces a three-finger thick, nicely browned, creamed chocolate colored head. The beer is quite black in appearance and when held up to the light only passes a hint of light (really, I mean this as it almost seems a trick of the light). This beer smells strongly of bitter black coffee, even as I was pouring the beer it was clear that this was a coffee infused beer. It is hard to get anything but coffee from the nose, perhaps a hint of sweet, dark malt and a bit of cocoa are noticeable towards the end if you really dig for it. The coffee notes can be a little harsh, though there is a bit of coffee complexity here.

A bit on the fizzy side, some vigorous swirling of my glass helps to mitigate this problem. This beer seems somewhat light bodied, I was expecting some richness to balance the coffee, but that might be a bit too much to expect from a 5% abv beer. In truth though the coffee notes in the flavor are not quite so dominant as in the nose, but they are still the dominant note in the flavor. The beer has some roast-derived bitterness to it and it finishes with a burnt acidity as well. This can really reminds me of drinking cold black coffee at times. There is a touch of malt sweetness here though that manage to accentuate a chocolate like flavor. The taste reminds me of thin, deeply roasted, cold black coffee and I can't say that this is really all that exciting.

Not a bad beer, but it is a bit too coffee dominated (bitter, a touch acrid and acidic). A more rounded malt character, or less coffee would go a long way towards making this a balanced beer. That said if you are a die hard coffee person, then you might enjoy this a bit more than I did.

Purchased: Liquid Solutions

3.49/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Needs more coffee flavor in it, decent beer.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Arctic Rhino Coffee Porter from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.