TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter) | Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter)TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter)

Midnight Sun Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States
midnightsunbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Availability: Fall

Intriguing doses of sweet spices, cocoa nibs and pumpkin transform an exceptional porter into a mesmerizing potion. Pour this tantalizing brew into a snifter and experience its many eccentric nuances, which will delight your taste buds.

This is the same award-winning recipe that garnered a GOLD MEDAL at GABF in 2007. Formerly known simply as Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter, we’ve named it T.R.E.A.T.: The Royal Eccentric Ale Treatment.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-18-2005

4.1

4.92/5  rDev +20%

Way opaque deep color. Bright -5 degree Alaskan crisp sky midday sunlight to contrast the beer towards, and nothing, as far as light goes, is showing. Wisping cappucino cream showing thinly.

Pumpkin pie greets the nose first, then chicory blend coffee, and a little sticky bun scent hit the nose, and tastebuds follow suit by watering.

Delicious. For the most part the flavor follows the same lines as what you read straight above when I was talking about the smell of this creation. Added to it, though, is a certain electric flash that occurs as the moderate carbonation and thick body coincide with one another, and a hop/coffee bitterness develops henceforth, giving total closure to the whole experience.

This beer gives true closure to fall and welcomes winter. Wide breadth of flavor and nuance and just the way that it drinks, it is spot on for a seasonal at this exact time and place. Also extremely well built, and well, it's name is aptly put.

4.87/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber (22 oz) into a tulip.

A: Pours black like motor oil (a big plus for me appearance-wise) with a thin brown ring of head. In a word. Dark. In another. Viscous. Love it.

S: Pumpkin, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and chocolate in the nose. A mouthwatering combination of smells.

T: Sweet chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, a touch of coffee.

M: Full bodied, creamy and bubbly. Almost perfect.

O: Honestly I don't know if I should call it a pumpkin ale or an imperial vegetable porter. If it's a pumpkin ale, it's the best by a long shot, but the admixture of the chocolate makes it something different. I so love this beer and hope to have it again soon. This was my introduction to midnight sun and I don't think I could have had a better one. If you see it for less than $20 it's worth it, but know that, if you can find, you can find it for probably $15 or less. This beer rounds out my top 20 and is damn near an A+. Now my reviews says 4.88, which, when multiplied by 20 makes it a 97. I gave it a 96, but with inflation on BA, 4.88 is probably equivalent to giving a beer a 140. I would not give it that. Ever. But it's SOOO good. Pick up a bottle and thank me later.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

This is the TREAT version of this beer. Same beer just a different name, but I wanted to denote which name this was being reviewed under.

A- Poured very thick. This beer is very dark, black in the glass, dark dark mahogany during the pour. The head is a dirty snow color, not the yellow version. But you know the kind. It disappears quickly too.

S- This has a very clean smell. Up front there is the Nutmeg and cinnamon followed by a roasty pumpkin smell. I'm also getting a slight maple sugar smell too. This beer doesn't have an over powering pumpkin spice smell, which is good, nice and subtle.

T- Can we say subtle? Wow this has a lot going on, but it comes and goes in waves and is so well blended together that it can be difficult to pick up on the flavors as they are playing so well together. A great chocolaty coffee porter base, with the chocolaty sweetness staying throughout the taste. Then we get this roasted pumpkin taste that is there and very robust, solid pumpkin taste. The cinnamon and other spices lend very well to the taste. Excellent offering.

M- Thick, but the carbination is balanced so it works. Too thin and this beer wouldn't be as enjoyable. The roasted pumpkin taste I mentioned above lingers nicely and lets you know its there down the stretch.

D- Super easy to drink, smooth and delightful.

I like how the pumpkin taste isn't fake tasting but realistic and hearty like pumpkin should be. Not this pumpkin pie type aspect which can taste phony.

4.81/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured a completely opaque jet black, with a half-finger of finely bubbled head that didn't lace much and dissipated quickly.

Smell is beautiful, with tons of cinnamon and nutmeg along with a touch of clove, and is accompanied by a soda-pop tart smell that is fantastic. Chocolate pumpkin comes in at the back. In between, some roasted malt to add still more complexity. One of the best smelling beers I've had in a long while.

Taste follows suit with the palate transitioning smoothly between spice, malt, and pumpkin. Starts with those spices of cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, then moves a delectably roasted semi-sweet chocolate middle. Pumpkin then begins to rear its big fat orange head, eventually leading to a delicious roasted pumpkin milk coffee finish. Tastes so creamy it is almost milky.

Mouthfeel is awesome, as the thickness and lesser carbonation yield a chocolate pumpkin milkshake of a beer. Drinkability is pretty damn good too, as the finish is actually kind of neutral when you take a step back. This is kind of a letdown compared to the rest of the beer, as I would have liked a strong aftertaste to let the beer linger after every sip, but everything else is too good to let that bother me too much. The fact that it finishes so clean, and hides the 7.8% abv so well, speaks volumes about the drinkability as well. Pumpkin beers perhaps should not be measured by this one due to its mesh of styles, but this definitely has set the bar for spiced beers in my mind. This probably faded a bit since the initial release, but I can see the flavors melding a bit better now than if it was fresh. Nonetheless, it's going to be a long wait to try this fresh this year. Props Midnight Sun...mad props.

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

4.77/5  rDev +16.3%

R Moe Nay busted this one out for our BA Sexy Chocolate, FW 14th, TREAT, Zhukov tasting with the infamous Zapps. Big ups to him for getting this Alaskan Gem. He told me it's an imperial chocolate pumpkin porter... I told him that I was 98 percent. The look of this beer reminds me of 3AM on Halloween Day.Small tan head without much lacing. Big chocolate aroma, cinnamon, nutmeg, and some actual raw pumpkin. I've never tasted the guts of a pumpkin while I was carving it but smell wise it matches perfectly. Very impressive. The chocolate and raw pumpkin come together nicely. Taste improves dramatically as it warms. I'm tasting some very nice spice as well. Best pumpkin beer I've had to date. Loved it.

TREAT (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter) from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.